Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #16
USBYGS
Riding the World

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
^
Based on this I think I may just follow you!
Easier said than done...

Take no prisoners - Leave no witnesses
USBYGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #17
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by USBYGS View Post
Easier said than done...
No kidding!
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #18
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,249
mark444.... ya heard of that trick. it might work but I doubt it is any better than CO2, if at all. you would still have to have a pretty snug fit to begin with because the front valve has to have the core in it, and thats a pretty small hole to push air through.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,598
Sounds like an excellent way to achieve tire equilibrium... meaning two flat tires.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #20
Wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Been meaning to try the ether/WD40 trick.... for those that don't know.... shoot ether into the tire & light it, it explodes & jumps right up on the rim. seen it on a video & seemed to work good.
I have done the ether (starting fluid) deal on my dump truck several times when I have had flats. Just give it a shot inside the tire and leave a trail coming out. Light the trail and it seats the bead.

It ain't the safest thing to do, but it does work. Always wondered what my insurance would do/say if I burned my truck up doing it???
Wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #21
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,249
ya.... been thinking about that hose between tires thing. the reason I started using the rope trick is because I had a really hard time sealing up a tire once.... 40 gal tank with 150psi and still couldn't just blow it up.

Over the years I've watched tire mounts dozens of times in the shop where the guy throws a band around the tire & inflates the band to squeeze the beads up to where they will seal. I didn't have that & just used what was at hand. I'm sure I'm not the only one to think of this trick.

BTW, don't panic, the only time you might need it is if your tubeless tire is off the rim or the bead is broken.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #22
AKmud
Muddy Gruver

Oddometer: 925
A ratchet strap works well for that trick too. Done it many times on wheeler tires and truck tires.
AKmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #23
MMNORTH
Got GUZZI

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
A ratchet strap works well for that trick too. Done it many times on wheeler tires and truck tires.

+1, Also I have used 2 large CO2 cartridges to get 20+ psi on a rear GS tire.
MMNORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #24
Alaskajeff OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
All that discussion on tubeless tires kind of makes me glad I have tube type right now. I KNOW there are + - to both types though.
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #25
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,708
Stand Back

If your using the ether/starting fluid trick I would suggest standing back when you throw the match. Seems the wheel and tire sometimes get airborn as the fluid explodes. Did it alot with race car tires but always either used a chain to hold it down or put it under the lift in the shop. Not sure if a motorcycle tire would do the same as a car tire but then again its not my hand with the match or my chin leaning over the rim.

I'll bet Tom S has some good truck split rim stories.

Call me so I can come watch!

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #26
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrider View Post
... I'll bet Tom S has some good truck split rim stories.
Dennis, you must have me confused with someone else. I know nothing about truck split rim wheels, and glad I don’t.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #27
Wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrider View Post
If your using the ether/starting fluid trick I would suggest standing back when you throw the match. Seems the wheel and tire sometimes get airborn as the fluid explodes. Did it alot with race car tires but always either used a chain to hold it down or put it under the lift in the shop. Not sure if a motorcycle tire would do the same as a car tire but then again its not my hand with the match or my chin leaning over the rim.

I'll bet Tom S has some good truck split rim stories.

Call me so I can come watch!
I have used the ether/starting fluid quite a few times on truck tires. It doesn't take that much.The tires have always been mounted on the truck. Judging from how well it works on truck tires......I would say it may work "too well" on motorcycle tires.

I changed lots of split rims as a kid working on a farm. While I have heard lots of stories of guys getting their head ripped of when they let loose......I or none of the folks I worked with never had any problems. We bolted several pieces of logging chain around the tire/rim and placed it ring side down on the floor when we aired em up.

Forklift/Towmotor tires can be wild too. If you ever see anyone taking a fork lift tire off by removing ALL the nuts.......run.
Wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #28
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,598
I worked in high school and college for a truck tire recapping and roadside assistance company. Saw hundreds of split rims inflated and only one came apart. It was a three piece rim and came apart in cage we used (sometimes); no one was hurt. It seemed everyone who worked in the shop knew a guy that saw a guy get hurt by a split rim, but no one ever saw it themselves.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #29
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,075
Had a cantankerous scraper tire in Guam that wouldn't come OFF the rim. Called EOD and they applied a little gem called det-cord! VIOLA....tire off of rim. Anyone carrying any det-cord around? You could just throw it inside the bead, pop the detonator, and hope for the best!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #30
AKTroy
BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer: 2,208
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
^
Based on this I think I may just follow you!
Man, there's a good one there and I can't quite ..................................
AKTroy is offline   Reply With Quote