Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #31
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
No it doesn't.

The primary thing I need my motorcycle to do is to be fun. I had a KLR. It wasn't fun.

If ridding a shittily suspended vintage toaster is fun, get a KLR. If you get enjoyment from riding (anything resembling) quickly, jumping whoops and berms, going over things, doing wheelies, and having functional brakes, look elsewhere.
It's all in the eye of the beholder dude. I already said the 690 was one of my dream bikes & without ever riding one I have no doubt that (when it's working properly) it's hands down a better bike than a KLR for anything other than big highway miles.

My KLR NEVER fails to put a smile on my face, even though I constantly find myself looking for sixth gear & the top heavy nature of it puts me on my butt more than a real dirt bike would. I can still go anywhere in the woods I want to, it just takes longer with a little more effort.

When my first KLR got totaled I got a 450 EXC & fealt like superman on it after riding the woods on a KLR. Not everyone can drop $10,000 on a new bike & then spend more money to get it right. There's still a VERY good chance I'll end up on a 690 some day but, my 450 EXC & my KLR make me think I might be better off waiting to see if KTM adresses the F.I. issues for 2013. It's not surprising to buy a bike for $3,000 & need to spend some more to get it right but, if I spend $10,000 on a bike I'd like to think all the bugs were worked out.

I'm NOT bashing KTM, I LOVE my 450 EXC & think it's the best bike I've ever owned but, after spending some time looking over the 690 wunderfest thread I'm thinking I'd need to keep the uber dependable KLR for the times the much better 690 was in the shop.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #32
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK View Post

Not a chance. Try about 50. I don't know much but I do know orange. If you can show me a reliable source where a stock 690 made 65HP I'll eat my words.
Most pre 2012's are around 53-55 stock from the dyno charts I've seen, and bumping 60 with some mods. The NEW 690 is actually 690 CC's so 65 is probably easy to get with a few mods.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #33
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,515
Oh the humanity! We've finally arrived to the point when 50 horsepower isn't enough for a real off road capable DS bike that weighs a little over 300 pounds.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #34
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck690R View Post
I own a 690R, but have not ridden a KLR650. I did not get a KLR because I thought it was too heavy. I considered and rode a couple of DRZ400s, but it did not have the down low power that I wanted.

What I was looking for was:

- lightweight
- street legal
- reasonable maintenance intervals
- able to ride long distances (with some mods)
- ability to loft the front wheel easily with throttle only (unfortunately, DRZ does not do this, in my opinion)
- a good all round bike

The DRZ meets most of these criteria. The 690R meets all of them.

If you ride mostly tight single track, then the 690R will be more work than a smaller bike. There are always compromises. But, you know, the DRZ isn't that light for a 400, while the 690 really is light for a big bore thumper. If you don't ride mainly tight single track, then 690 will have no problems. (A strong rider will do just fine on tight single track on the 690.) On tight single track, a rider on a smaller bike will smoke me. And I am OK with that. But when we want to stretch our legs and put some miles in, then the 690 will be good.

When I twisted the throttle on the 400 I thought, pretty good, but down low not so good.

When you twist the throttle on the 690 it will make you giggle like a little child.

I can always get a smaller bike one day, and maybe I will. But, for the foreseeable future, it is the KTM. The bike is a brute. I cannot get as excited about a KLR.
Best first post ever.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #35
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBoy View Post
Guy with a KLR was drooling all over my 690ER at a gas station in Fitchburg, MA.
A good HP to weight ratio never gets old. Living 60.
Yup. I had a 690 in 2008, but decided to sell it. I was worried about some of the early issues and the maintenance, yada, yada.

Bought a KLR and started in: 685 kit, progressives, etc. All these things made the KLR a better bike and much more fun to ride. But still, for me, lacking in the "hoot to ride" department. Kept the KLR and bought a KLX 450. Better, but still not the 690.

Then this year, I realized that, for me anyway, 690 is in a class by itself. The thing just rails. Yeah, it takes a bit to set up and get right, but it's worth it. So, I bit the bullet and am now waiting for my 690r (should be this week).

Before I decided on another 690, I rode about everything that I could find including a 990, 800/1200 GS, etc. The only other bike that tempted me was a WR250, but I'm a power junkie (at 52 years old). My short list of mods for the 690: Seat Concepts kit, Rox anti-vibes, and an FMF Q4. Set up the suspension (made a BIG difference on the first one) and I'm good to go. The only things (for now anyway) on the future list are bag racks and a Giant Loop.

YMMV.
BigIron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #36
vegemanNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
everyone has a view....

Hey,
I've been riding a 2008 690 enduro for awhile now, it has 26,000Km's, and its been rock solid and easily the best machine bar none in this category, The KLR is a cruise machine the 690 is a rocket...you really can't compare them except they have 650cc (2012 is 690cc as mentioned)

I had the XR650L before, my mates ride many of the machines discussed here (KLR, 250's etc) and for me, they are boring, boring, boring. Sure 'low maintenance' and reliability is what the believe, to make them feel happy...but I'm not feeling any worse for wear on my machine. I've had the akra map loaded, with leo vince muffler and its more powerful than standard. When I put the muffler on (and before akra), I measured 60.9 HP at the wheel on the dyno...so the comment about power and relibaility is pointless. The KLR is like your best girlfriend or wife...the 690 is your exotic, dirty girl mistriss that you cant wait to get your leg over, and you know at some stage, its going to cause you pain but WTF, time is precious. Get while you can, everything but hardcore trail

I've done all the mod's that improve the other factors ie fueling, seat, tank bolts etc .and it wasn't expensive. Rally-raid have all the bits you need.

For single technical trails, sure a 450 or 250 is better, - I have been using the 690 for real trail rides - I amazed at where they can go BUT the steering lock will catch you out, and the extra weight does come in. So, they are heavier than you think, (but this thread is about comparing it to the KLR) but will take the 690 everytime over the KLR...crikey, I've scraped the pegs on the KLR and that was just going around, a round-about through the city...yawn.

I recently did a 2500K ride on the 690 with 500Km plus road sections and then tight trails through the bush. I used the airhawk seat cushion for the tarmac to help protect the butt. The 690 eats the road, it rules the gravel and fire roads as well.

If you can afford the 690 do it.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:13 AM   #37
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegemanNZ View Post
Hey,
I've been riding a 2008 690 enduro for awhile now, it has 26,000Km's, and its been rock solid and easily the best machine bar none in this category, The KLR is a cruise machine the 690 is a rocket...you really can't compare them except they have 650cc (2012 is 690cc as mentioned)

I had the XR650L before, my mates ride many of the machines discussed here (KLR, 250's etc) and for me, they are boring, boring, boring. Sure 'low maintenance' and reliability is what the believe, to make them feel happy...but I'm not feeling any worse for wear on my machine. I've had the akra map loaded, with leo vince muffler and its more powerful than standard. When I put the muffler on (and before akra), I measured 60.9 HP at the wheel on the dyno...so the comment about power and relibaility is pointless. The KLR is like your best girlfriend or wife...the 690 is your exotic, dirty girl mistriss that you cant wait to get your leg over, and you know at some stage, its going to cause you pain but WTF, time is precious. Get while you can, everything but hardcore trail

I've done all the mod's that improve the other factors ie fueling, seat, tank bolts etc .and it wasn't expensive. Rally-raid have all the bits you need.

For single technical trails, sure a 450 or 250 is better, - I have been using the 690 for real trail rides - I amazed at where they can go BUT the steering lock will catch you out, and the extra weight does come in. So, they are heavier than you think, (but this thread is about comparing it to the KLR) but will take the 690 everytime over the KLR...crikey, I've scraped the pegs on the KLR and that was just going around, a round-about through the city...yawn.

I recently did a 2500K ride on the 690 with 500Km plus road sections and then tight trails through the bush. I used the airhawk seat cushion for the tarmac to help protect the butt. The 690 eats the road, it rules the gravel and fire roads as well.

If you can afford the 690 do it.

spot on Vege
dirtbikeslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #38
Off-Road-Adventures
Mid-life-Crisis? Me??

Oddometer: 24
KLR or 690R?

I've owned a 05 R1200GS, a Honda XR650R, 08 KLR650, a 2010 Yamaha Tenere, and now a 2012 690R

Fuckit, the 690R CREAMS them all!! Confidence inspiring, exciting, reliable, SAFE........Yes, on the KLR, Tenere and especially the BMW, you are gonna HURT yourself when you go off road my mate.......

I would have fallen my ass off a few times if I was riding anything other than the 690R, it laughs at stuff that would swallow most other bikes.

On the road it's light, nible and SCARY powerful, off road, the suspension, after you have dialled it in for your preference, just swallows up anything in front of you.

I took my 18 year old son's advice: Don't buy according to logic, price, reliability, all that drivel, buy the one that really excites you.

I am not looking back now.....I am 58 now, have had over 70 bikes, the 690R is by far the best bike I have ever owned, it's fuckin' AWESOME!!!

The XR 650R was a good bike, but tall, with kick start only, overheating problems in technical stuff, it cannot hold a candle to the all powerful 690R

I am riding more now than I have in years, I am loving this bike

The 690R is like having a night out with a stripper who wants to be your sex toy

The KLR is like, well, going to bed with your granny

Living in Africa is a daily adventure
Off-Road-Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #39
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,606
I don't think it matters . . . . .

There are coffee snobs, Scotch Whiskey dnobs, beer snobs, and, yes, motorcycle snobs.

Many of these folks enjoy exclusivity, spec sheeets, and oneupsmanship . . .

If trhe KTM is more fun, for you, it's a better bike, for you -- if you can outride the KLR all the time, the KTM is likely a better bike for you.

If you enjoy the KLR, and the KTM doesn't make you grin any more, spend the price differential on a life altering trip . . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #40
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
for the price the Husky TR650 Terra might also be a great middle ground.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #41
Sliverpicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
KLR or 690R

Well I`m here to tell you first hand about the KLR vs the 690R. I had 2 KLR`s at one time. I put close to $3000 into my 2005 KLR to try and make it manageable on the dirt with poor results. A group of us went on a 3 day ride in the deserts of Oregon. Although we had fun I was whipped at the end of each day chasing a KTM 530. I watched the rider on that 530 just breeze through anything be pointed it at. Try that on the KLR and you holy crap-----That poor KLR got it`s neck wrung all day long for three days. Thats why I was so whipped by the time we got back to camp.

Jim--- the rider of the 530 offered me to ride his bike which did "not" pass up ! So now as I`m cruising down sand roads at
60 mph all I can think is I would be face planted by now on the KLR. As soon as we got home I cleaned up the Red Ranger-thats what I called the KLR, sold off all the farkle than the Red Ranger went to a new happy owner.

Down to the KTM shop I went and pulled the trigger on a 2012 690R. Put a "Seat Concepts" on it, rear tail rack and mounted a "roto pax" on it which gives me a 200 + mile range, A slip on exhaust from Leo Vince, foam air filter conversion from Rally Raid then I had it remapped to match the mods. Now----Holy "F--in Crap" this machine is the shit ! Did five days in the Oregon out back and after 10 hours of riding I was ready for more. I will say I had to wait a lot for the KLR gang to catch up.

Transmission is butter smooth, controls are all hydraulic and first class, the brakes are world class along with the suspension and rims. Horse power is now double that of the KLR and 100 lbs lighter.

I should have done this a long time ago-----I do "NOT" regret the change.

Thats just my 10K`s worth
Sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #42
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan690 View Post
Well I`m here to tell you first hand about the KLR vs the 690R. I had 2 KLR`s at one time. I put close to $3000 into my 2005 KLR to try and make it manageable on the dirt with poor results. A group of us went on a 3 day ride in the deserts of Oregon. Although we had fun I was whipped at the end of each day chasing a KTM 530. I watched the rider on that 530 just breeze through anything be pointed it at. Try that on the KLR and you holy crap-----That poor KLR got it`s neck wrung all day long for three days. Thats why I was so whipped by the time we got back to camp.

Jim--- the rider of the 530 offered me to ride his bike which did "not" pass up ! So now as I`m cruising down sand roads at
60 mph all I can think is I would be face planted by now on the KLR. As soon as we got home I cleaned up the Red Ranger-thats what I called the KLR, sold off all the farkle than the Red Ranger went to a new happy owner.

Down to the KTM shop I went and pulled the trigger on a 2012 690R. Put a "Seat Concepts" on it, rear tail rack and mounted a "roto pax" on it which gives me a 200 + mile range, A slip on exhaust from Leo Vince, foam air filter conversion from Rally Raid then I had it remapped to match the mods. Now----Holy "F--in Crap" this machine is the shit ! Did five days in the Oregon out back and after 10 hours of riding I was ready for more. I will say I had to wait a lot for the KLR gang to catch up.

Transmission is butter smooth, controls are all hydraulic and first class, the brakes are world class along with the suspension and rims. Horse power is now double that of the KLR and 100 lbs lighter.

That is the same experience I had. I felt like at some point I was going to have a nasty crash on the KLR and I hated how top heavy it was. The KLR is fine for cruising around but terrible if the pace picks up. Just not designed for that whereas the 690 IS designed to go fast. Just two very different motorcycles.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #43
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan690 View Post

I agree with much, but I consider my 2012 690R similar to the KLR. It's not really a hard enduro, and I have ridden with riders of stock KLR's that managed a lot better than me! I think there is a lot more skill to getting the job done than machine.

I'm referring to mud, rocks and sand washes...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #44
Sliverpicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I agree with much, but I consider my 2012 690R similar to the KLR. It's not really a hard enduro, and I have ridden with riders of stock KLR's that managed a lot better than me! I think there is a lot more skill to getting the job done than machine.

I'm referring to mud, rocks and sand washes...
Yeah I hear ya about the 690 not being a Hardcore Enduro bike. For me it works perfect due to I`m not hardcore dirt or street anymore and I just love the power it puts out !

Good on the road for a couple hours at a time yet-- Excellent for all day dirt riding !

Cheers
Sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #45
Rusty Shovel
Banned

Oddometer: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK View Post

Not a chance. Try about 50. I don't know much but I do know orange. If you can show me a reliable source where a stock 690 made 65HP I'll eat my words.

Sean
The 2008-2011 690 gets 56 HP (at the wheel). The 2012-14 gets a 3-5 HP bump. Open the air box, change the fuel map, and throw on a pipe and a 690 will run between 65-70 RWHP--more than anyone needs (unless you're Travis Pastrana or plan to climb 1000 ft sand dunes).

As far as weight goes, the 690 loses 13 pounds with a pipe and battery swap. Weighs about the same as a WR250R, with more than twice the grunt.

I loved my WR250R. LOVED. Off-road, I never really wanted or needed more power (my name is NOT Travis Pastrana, nor did I ever attempt any major dunes). But during my stints on the highway, I wished for more passing power. My 2014 690 Enduro is on order; I can't wait!

Rusty

Rusty Shovel screwed with this post 12-25-2013 at 05:45 AM
Rusty Shovel is offline   Reply With Quote