User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2005, 05:08 AM   #1
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,560
TKC80's on road?

Do they do good on the road? Is the ride smooth and how is wear? I ride 90/10 street/dirt so I'm thinking they may be too knobby. The Dakar needs tires soon, anyone got a better recommendation? THANKS!
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:34 AM   #2
bpeterson
pssst! over here.

Oddometer: 921
They're fine on the road, but not a 'street' tire. If you push them hard into the corner, or a have a heavy right foot they'll certainly give out, but they give you plenty of warning.

I got about 5k out of the last rear, the front looks like it will last another 5k or so. I'm replacing it this weekend with a tourance, since the GS is seeng less dirt and more street now.

I really do like the look of them on the GS though, so it's tough to put on different skins.
'02 DR-Z 400S

bpeterson screwed with this post 05-08-2005 at 09:03 AM Reason: grammar
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:54 AM   #3
KTOOMER
ad-vent-ure man

Oddometer: 533
I agree with the above, same experience. In the rain, maybe a little skittish then the tournace..but in the dirt, nasty stuff the TKC's show their stuff and that;s why I got them on the KTOOMER

2005 KTM 450EXC
2007 BMW 1200ADV (ON ORDER)
W6ZZW
KTOOMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:16 AM   #4
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,571
They work great on the street. If you ride them hard they don't last though... 3-k for the rear 4-5k for a front. What kind of dirt riding do you do with your 10%? The TKCs are probably more of a dirt tire than you need. But what the hell... it's one set of tires! Give them a shot! Maybe you'll find yourself spending more time on the dirt.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:43 AM   #5
Taki
Waiting for Godot

Oddometer: 971
They are a nice compromise. The tires I bought for my 950 have about 600 mi. on them of 70% gravel 30% windy county roads and the rear has 40% of its tread left front has 80% left.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:43 AM   #6
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,560
Sounds like a decent tire. Anybody know the best place to get them? I'll probably give them a shot. Thanks for the tips, y'all.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:54 AM   #7
Ron Seida
Adventman

Oddometer: 1,236
Hello.
Ditto to all the above, TKC 80's are my personal favorites! In the states i would sugest SouthWest Mototire in Az. www.swmototire.com. Great service, i just wish they would ship to Canada :(
Good luck!
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:56 AM   #8
Ron Seida
Adventman

Oddometer: 1,236
...oops! Wrong link. Try this:www.swmototires.com
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:05 AM   #9
Syl20
A frog from up north.

Oddometer: 5
Thumb

Love those tires, Had them on my Dakar for 2 years.
Syl20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:41 AM   #10
Mr. Reaper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
TKC 80's

TKC 80's are a good tire on the road. Good in the rain too. More off road oriented. They look bad ass on the GS Adventure. However, looks aren't everything! I got 5-6000 miles before they were cupped out real bad. Breaking the ton was no problem. As good as they are I would suggest you consider the Michelin Anakee's. I just switched to the Anakee's after 3 sets of TKC 80's. Asphalt performance is far better. Very smooth and they are OK for the occasional dirt/gravel road. Teriffic in the rain too. High silica content. I reserve judgment on the mileage but others here suggest 5-7000 miles. Some better.

See ya...
IBA #10606
Mr. Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:33 PM   #11
GSfoto
HAPPY BMW owner

Oddometer: 140
Question Michelin/Conti

Does anyone have any experience with the Michellin Sirac or ContiEscape yet? Hell, I can't even find any availability on the ContiEscapes. I know they are 75 road/25 dirt, but I am just looking for a longer wearing replacement for my TKC 80's (which have performed incredibly--but have short life span on road).
Old 05-09-2005, 12:41 AM   #12
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
How much straight 75mph paved highway do you think a TKC 80 rear would take, or what did you get out of it? Could I really get 5k miles on the highway from a tire like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSfoto
Does anyone have any experience with the Michellin Sirac or ContiEscape yet? Hell, I can't even find any availability on the ContiEscapes. I know they are 75 road/25 dirt, but I am just looking for a longer wearing replacement for my TKC 80's (which have performed incredibly--but have short life span on road).
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:52 AM   #13
Puffy 650
Silly Azz MoFo

Oddometer: 88
Here are the Contiescape tires. Anyone have a set who can give an opinion?
http://www.americanmototire.com/inde...rget=d148.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSfoto

People come up to me and say, "Puffy, do people really come up to you?"

Share pictures of your rides. You can save $5.00 with this www.smugmug.com coupon code. (sC2oEnyn7dF2g)

Puffy 650 screwed with this post 05-09-2005 at 01:59 AM
Puffy 650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 05:34 AM   #14
Odin
Adv rider

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
How much straight 75mph paved highway do you think a TKC 80 rear would take, or what did you get out of it? Could I really get 5k miles on the highway from a tire like this?
I just replaced my original TKC's with another set of TKC's this past friday. I got 7500 miles out of the rear and went ahead and replaced the front as I always replace tires as a set. The fronts were only half worn and the rears still had 3 mm of depth in the center knob's. My milage has been mostly commuting 80 miles a day at 70 to 85 mph.
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:58 PM   #15
Danamr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy 650
Here are the Contiescape tires. Anyone have a set who can give an opinion?
As far as I can tell that tire has not even shipped in Europe yet, much less the US. There are a couple of threads if you do a search. Does look interesting.
The main issue I have with tires like the Escape, Ankees, etc, is that they are not that much better than a pure road tire off road. I suspect that you could put a pure road tire like a Bridgestone 020 on, get even better road handleing, and not give up much off road. On the other hand, the TKC's are so much better off road, and so good on, if you plan to do much of any off road use them.
Make since?
Danamr is offline   Reply With Quote