Whisky Falls. False advertising I say

I finally made it to the tree's too

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #197
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Wildcat Gulch Loop-Found some tree's to ride thru too!

Not the ride of the century, but it was a nice day for this short afternoon ride.

Last week, BkCntryCrwlr, RoninBoise, and myself took a short afternoon ride on our TW's... and Georgie too! Our route took us up Wildcat Gulch rd towards Idaho City, where we had a scooby snack, then back to the rigs through New Centerville down Grimes Creek. It was a easy leisurely ride.

Didn't take many pictures, but here's a few I did take.

BkCntryCrwlr gettin' ready

Georgie relaxing and waiting to go. "Hurry up" is what I think she's trying to say.

Once we got up on the ridge south of Warm Springs Point lookin' west, we could see Boise Ridge and Shafer Butte. Foreground was part of the burn from a fire last July.

Shafer Butte zoomed in

After our scooby snacks, and before heading out of town, we stopped and took a photo or two of the most photographed corner in Idaho City.
Most Photographed Corner in Idaho City | Oh, the Places We See . . ..

It's called The Sluice Box: Closed with a caretaker. Apparently for sale? Welcome - The Sluice Box

All the years I've been in to visit Idaho City, I've never seen it open.

The American Picker's guys would love to get in here I'm sure. Heck, even I would!

That's it for photo's.

Short Video of what the ride looked like

We didn't see any "Wildcats" on this ride, but we did see 1 "Wild Turkey", which was not very photogenic I might add

Take Care You'all

Old 05-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #198
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Hey Admiral, I was thinking of asking a favor from you...

Any chance you have any sort of contact(s) with the Cycleracks people? I started working with them in late April to get both a rack for Pinkfoot, and more side supports for all of our racks. They were working on some custom modifications, and we'd been exchanging emails for a while, but now, it's as if they've disappeared from the face of the earth. I haven't heard from them in weeks, no response to emails, no response to phone messages, no one ever answers the phone...

We're getting a little worried. I mean, sure, we'd like the racks and all, but at this point we're both concerned that something has befallen the Cycleracks folk, and that it's not good.

So, as our go-to Idahoan, I don't suppose you know anything about them? Know anyone who does? Hear anything through the grapevine? Wanna take a ride by their place next time you go to town? I know they're a small family run type outfit, so we're both dreading hearing bad news, but the not knowing isn't much better.

I just thought I'd throw it out there. If perchance you do know anything, or feel like putting out some feelers, we'd sure appreciate any info.

MV
Old 05-21-2014, 06:36 AM   #199
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Hesaid,

I don't know the folks at Cycleracks personally, but I'll do some checking. It appears the business may be run out of a residence and not a store. I'll let you know if I here back from them.

Just as an FYI, in this TW Forum post, this rider received the Cyclerack and the post was dated 6 May 2014, so I don't think their out of business or anything.
http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...cyclerack.html

Old 05-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #200
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for looking into it. I too, believe the business is run out of a residence. I'm not as worried about them closing, though we would be bummed, as I am that someone might have suffered an accident or a sudden health concern. Or worse even. I hope all is well.

MV
Old 05-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #201
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Thanks for looking into it. I too, believe the business is run out of a residence. I'm not as worried about them closing, though we would be bummed, as I am that someone might have suffered an accident or a sudden health concern. Or worse even. I hope all is well.

MV

Made contact with Cycleracks. Sent you a PM

Old 05-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #202
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
TW sounds good on your video! Sometimes shorter rides are good. My preference for longer rides (more territory), but every ride can't be an all-day odyssey. As always, good post.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #203
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

South Mountain - Memorial Weekend

Wife and I finally got out on our first camp trip of the year. Last year we had already camped several times, twice in March alone. Oh well, better late than never.

On this trip, we headed out to the South Mtn. range in southwest Idaho. I've never ridden here, or been to the lookout before, though I did drive my pickup around it 18 years ago. I don't remember much from that visit.

Day 1- South Mtn. Lookout and trails

North of Camp Admiral was done on the 1st day, and the southern portion the next day.

Georgie always ready to go. ...and she was wishful thinking. She rode on the back of the ATV on this trip

View of the South Mtn range

Is everthing named South Mtn.?

Gotta travel through the Thunder Mtn mine company on the way

But first we stopped for a geocache and sleep (wife)

Mine worker subdivision housing

Chief's quarters

Mine office...where all the paperwork is completed

More mine stuff

Old entrance (small) and new entrance (large)? This mine was closed long time ago and re-opened within the last few years

On side hill approach road looking south, (zoomed in) got my first glance of the lookout

Further north on the ridge we come to a road jct (looking north). South will take us to the lookout

But first we gotta stop and checkout another geocache

Wife keeping her back to the wind at the cache. Actually, I think she hiding trying to txt on the cell phone. Didn't work, no service with our phones!

Getting closer (zoomed in)

We had to park here because of (note the 2 fellas who've joined us)

of this

We could have driven up a steep unauthorized/old route to the lookout, but didn't want to tear up the soft mountain side, so we hiked a short distance to the lookout

Great views. To the north, Delemar Mine in the Silver City, ID range

East (ish). Oh, and if you have to go to the bathroom in a hurry, better run! Outhouse is a ways from the lookout!

The Mountain Office

After checking out the lookout, we drove to a nearby hill looking back at South Mtn. lookout and had a little lunch break.
I think all the squiggly lines are part of another mine, but we couldn't drive to it because of snow drifts on the roads

Two fellas story. While we were at the lookout, they departed. Looking west, we could see they were trying to get around the mountain. Later while we were eating, we saw them drive up to the lookout from the other side. It must have took them 45 minutes to get there. Took us 5 minutes to hike up. When they left they didn't see us sitting on the other hill and drove down the unauthorized/old route. Cheaters!

End of Day 1 Part 1

TheAdmiral screwed with this post 05-29-2014 at 11:51 AM
Old 05-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #204
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

DAY 1 Part 2

Off the mountain, we're now gonna finish the day by riding some old logging road trails

Here on the main South Mtn./Indian Meadows road is the old ranch homestead building. The more modern ranch buildings are closer to the road. Love the old buildings I do.

See some Juniper tree's have been cut. I've been seeing a bunch of Juniper Tree's cut down all over. Juniper tree's are being cut down to help the rangeland and Sage Grouse habitat. Apparently, Juniper tree's can consume quit a bit of water per day depending on how tall the tree is. http://www.oawu.net/H2O/2008/Summer0...n.Hemenway.pdf

Surprised, wife and I find some of these BLM signs in the middle of the woods

I missed a turn/road somewhere? I will have to say though, the signs and the roads did not always seem to match. I thought I was on Mill Creek road attempting to find a different way to the lookout, but ended up on a different creek which dead ended. Or so it appeared. I should have been on Mill Creek according to the sign and what a map indicates. GPS said I was on Vulcan Creek, one creek over i.e. dead end. If the trails up top by the lookout weren't drifted in, we would have come down that way. As it turned out, we had a good time riding mostly dead end, but scenic trails.

End of Day 1

Old 05-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #205
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,495
Thanks for the current photos and report!
Nice to see you getting out for a ride and the snow melting.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:56 PM   #206
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,618
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #207
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Admiral, I just wanted to let you know that I went for another "snowride". We went higher, ~8400", and found enough snow to let me get both wheels into the snow at the same time:

It was pretty intense.

Your last ride looked like a good one, and I'm glad you seem to find random road signs like we did on our Whiskey Falls trip. We're getting caught up with our rides, though I ought to warn you, the last "teaser" post I put up, does have a snake. So you can't say you weren't warned!

MV
Old 05-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #208
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

DAY 2. Last Day!

Today our destination is Cabin Creek geocache on Corral Creek road. We'll turn around at this point, travel down a spur road, and head back to camp.

Day 2 Video's

Corral Creek rd. Was on this 18 years ago. Looks familiar, forgot alot!

Here's a part of the road I've forgotten

Lots of rocky outcrops.

Further on down the road, we got a view of South Mtn and lookout...from the southern viewpoint! Later in the day I think we were riding the
ridge to the right. A view of South Mtn was blocked at the point we turned around there.

Thankfully, we only ran into one gate on the day. Getting on and off the TW can get tiring when opening and closing gates all the time.
Also could see evidence of past fires in the area with all the Juniper Tree skeleton's.

Georgie getting a little tired when riding the TW. Old age setting in. We made her ride on the ATV with Admiral Wife.

Road bordered the North Fork Owyhee River Wilderness area. Here is the no motorized fun behind this sign, sign! Can't
even ride a bicycle. Hoof or hoofing it traffic only. That eliminates about 99% of any visitor's. Bright!

Corral Creek is the first little canyon we came too. Georgie loved the water. Black dogs love cool water on hot days

Then we made it to the next little canyon of Cabin Creek. This is where we visited the last cache and turn around point for the day

This cache was about a mile south of the old Duncan Homestead. People who placed the cache were descentants of the Duncan's. Remains of the cabin are suppose to be about a mile upstream. I looked, but probably didn't walk far enough. Did see some pretty sights along the way though

Next destination was the Noon Creek Cherrystem. I thought Cherrystem was a place, but apparently it's a term meaning deadend spur road
in a wilderness area. Huh, who'd a thought. Local Idaho High school made the road markers. Wilderness

There were no recent tracks...of any kind. We were alone

We arrive at

Noon Creek. At first we thought the sign was a grave marker, not creek sign!

Lunch spot at the end of the Noon Creek Cherrystem. The original road continued on further overlooking the North Fork of the Owyhee River,
but the creek(s) were washed out here. Not sure if you were suppose to go beyond this point anyway as we latter saw a knocked down
wilderness marker back at the cowboy line camp. Still, great place for lunch

After lunch and a 1/4 mile back, we stop and take a look at the cowboy line camp. Probably still in use during hunting season, but not much. More like a tin shed outside. Inside, cabin!

Old corral at the cowboy line camp

Electrical appliances? Nope

Kitchen counter? Table? Catch all?

Wild horses got out of the corral. Giggle

Well, that's about it. Great weekend getaway. Did spot this basketball hoop near our camp. Odd place, but guess the youngin's get restless
when camping with us old folks. Mark on the tree said it was place here in 1995.

That's it! Take care ya'll!

Old 05-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #209
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,618
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #210
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,208
OK, LOL, now I just caught up with your thread and we're loving it here. Thanks and please keep it coming also - you have better scenery out in the wilds. We only have trees, hills and more trees.

From Cruiserface to Happyface

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote