User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #226
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Laugh Toy Pass - Pickett Creek, Owyhee Mtns. June 2014

Went on another camp and ride in the Owyhee Mtn's on Backman Grade/Triangle Rd. Location is generally southeast of Silver City, Id. We camped about a mile over the pass (southside) and rode out from there for the next few days.

After arriving and setting up camp, we took a short evening ride. Our idea was to head east of the pass around Toy Mtn and then back to camp for some good rest before hitting it hard the next day. Here's a www to view a map of the area we rode: I mention the trail numbers once in a while if you want to follow allong. http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...P_SMap_web.pdf

From a hill east of the pass looking to the northeast, is Quicksilver Mtn. Other peaks in this little range we saw throughout the adventure and bunched together are here: Quicksilver Mtn., Cinnabar Mtn., Hayden Peak, Turntable Mtn., and War Eagle Mtn (not shown in this photo).

Toy Mtn. area looking southeast from the same hill

We headed eastward on an unnamed trail towards Castle Creek

Parked on a point and took in some fews before heading back to camp for the night

Looking southeast with Castle Creek canyon down yonder

From the same spot looking northeast, we see something in the distance, but can't quite make it out with our eyes. Camera zoomed in we see it's a ranch, Spivey Ranch I think. You can see the place and the red roof on google earth/flashearth www's. Our location is just off the BLM map to the south

On the main road (Bachman Grade/Triangle) back to camp we spotted the old bridge which use to span the creek

Same bridge taken next morning. Georgie approves!

Here's Part I of III video of the evening ride and the first half of the next day

Day 2. Today we'll ride trails C310/C312 to find a geocache. Then down C300 to Pickett Creek trail C400 to find another cache. After that we wing it, view the maps, and head back towards camp...the long way (on purpose). End up riding trails C200, C100, C510, and finish again on C200 before making it back for some well deserved rest. Long hot day of riding.

As is usual, I wake up about 2-3 hours before my wife. While waiting for here to wake up, I usually take a short hike around the area of camp.

Right at camp is this corral. I believe it was once used as a "branding corral" for livestock. I think this because of the upright wood posts spaced close together, thus not allowing the animals to slip out. Of course this is just a guess as I only dream about being a cowboy and am not one in real life!

Everyone is finally awake and we take off for a good long hard day of riding. My wife loves maps. Here she is trying to find out where we're at.

My guess is trails C310/C312. But hey, what do I know? I'm only the cameraman!

I've got the GPS!

Moving right along... In the part I video above, I got stuck on a steep and loose gravel incline. Wife makes it up in 4wd on the atv, but I end up side hilling it to the nearby ridge and am able to reconnect to the trail. If it had been a hard pack trail, I'd have made it up this short section of trail no problem.

Anyway, we've just come down this little gem of a hill. It's steeper, longer, and every bit as gravelly loose as the one I didn't make it up earlier. I ain't gonna make it back up this thing. Luckily, we connect to trail C300 at the bottom here and will take it after reaching the cache we're after.

Cache successfully found

Georgie helped look for the cache too!

After locating the cache, we head back to the junction with C300. By the way, most of these signs were bent over, either by wind, heat melting the plastic or both. We propped the trail signs up with rocks when we could. Won't last, but hey, we tried! In the distance you can see the canyon rim of the Snake River. It's not as close as the camera makes it out to be.

Photo of Quicksilver Mtn. after we've descended down C300 quite a ways on our way to Pickett Creek.

Our destination up Pickett Creek is the geocache at the old cabin site on trail C400. Well, we were stopped short. In the video (part II), you can see we were stopped by a gate, which was marked private property (orange paint)! This sucks! We were about 1/4 mile from the cache and cabin site. We could see an ATV track had recently gone through this gate, but we respect the wishes of the property owner. Still sucked we couldn't go on though!

Lots of video of the ride up and back, but here's one of a mud hole I thought for sure I'd get stuck in. Didn't here, but I did have trouble in another creek crossing further upstream when heading back out! Video below depicts this part of the ride very well. Tons and tons of creek crossings!

After departing Pickett Creek, we decide to sort of head back riding trail C200. Here's a couple photo's of the Quicksilver-Turntable Owyhee Mtn range taken from C200.

After a diversion on trails C100/C510 (see part II video), we're back on C200 and take a photo up Brown's Creek.

I did make my wife upset when we were on Pickett Creek. We made up, and she's now enjoying the ride on C200 again. (note to self, when asked how much farther it is to the cabin while traversing a very very difficult creek crossing, do not say "I have know idea" with maybe not the nicest of tones! It doesn't go over very well...trust me).

After a long day, we finally make it back to camp and relax for the rest of the evening.

To be continued

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178

TheAdmiral screwed with this post 06-30-2014 at 09:49 AM
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #227
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Toy Pass - Pickett Creek, Owyhee Mtns. June 2014

Toy Pass-Pickett Creek June 2014, Final day.

Here's the video after we depart Pickett Creek and just a small bit at the end on the final morning.

Again, I'm the first one up. Decide for another morning walk about. I see these bird houses on the fence every few hungred yards or so. I know the birdologists mean well, but they don't look well used. Visited yes, lived in, maybe not so much. Cute none-the-less!

Oh, and on another sour note, our hopes of reaching the 3rd cache were dashed as was the Pickett Cabin Cache. Private property...with a locked gate to boot. Had to turn around again, which shortened our day 3 morning ride. If we're out here again, we found alternate routes to the cache avoiding this section of private property which is surrounded by public property.

Near a shipping corral we spot this old cabin or shed. Can't quite tell if it had ever been lived in, but it was a cool find.

Windows make me think cabin, no siding or filled in cracks make me think shed.

and near the corral we spot this little fellow. Cute!
Why do they call them Rabit or bunny. If mule deer are called "mule deer" because of their big floppy ears, why shouldn't rabits be called "mule bunnies" because of their big floppy ears. Just wondering!

Well, that's all folks! Take Care and ride safe!

Old 06-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #228
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,136
As always, we greatly appreciate the pics!

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #229
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 656
I enjoyed the photos, descriptions and your videos. Helpful information, too. You make me anxious to explore that area more, though I think I might wait a couple months now.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #230
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
You make me anxious to explore that area more, though I think I might wait a couple months now.
Yeah, it was getting pretty warm riding up Pickett Creek, and I don't think the temperature's where nowhere close to what the upcoming forecast mention's. Time to hit the high ground!

Few months back, wife and I did a recon of the area (jeep roads) err, in the jeep. I was anxious to ride the area, but she so afraid of snakes, I thought it would be a no-go this time of year.

Then I read your ride report of the area, and got really excited to go, but sure it wouldn't happen 'till fall. Then she mentioned camping there and I think I said yes before she was done speaking. BTW, we didn't see any snakes! None that I told her about anyway!

Old 06-30-2014, 10:04 PM   #231
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post

Well, that's all folks! Take Care and ride safe!
That's all? I hope you mean for this installment and not the thread.

I like mule bunnies

To bad you were able to get to the third cache but it gives you a reason to return from a different direction.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:37 AM   #232
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
That's all? I hope you mean for this installment and not the thread.

I like mule bunnies

To bad you were able to get to the third cache but it gives you a reason to return from a different direction.
Oh no, just this installment. "That's all folks" is a Bugs Bunny send off, something I thought of when I posted the "Mule Bunny" photo

As for the cache and other interesting things we've reconnoitered in the area, and to coin a famous remark made by someone who outranked me, "I shall return", ...to the area for more 'splorin!

P.S. Someday, someday I'll get to that ever growing get-together ya'll have in Enterprise. I've been lurking on that thread. Lots of great pictures. Sorry about your mishap which kept you from riding. I can relate! And I haven't forgotten your geocaching thread either!

Take Care and heal fast!

Old 07-01-2014, 03:35 AM   #233
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

That's good news and I like Bugs

It would be nice if you, your wife and Georgie could show up at the Jamboree next year. Ride up with the Boise group the always have a good time.

My thread will probably be worked in this weekend, it got put on hold while I was working on arrangements for the Jamboree.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm healing and will be riding again soon.

Looking forward to your next installment.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #234
popscycle
Fahren Away

Your vistas and scenery are just grand and we appreciate all you post. We're mostly on roads that are surrounded by trees but once in a great while we get up on top of a hill, but it's nothing like yours, as evidenced below.

The picture above was taken on top of Mount Sugarloaf; however, it is more of a big hill at 650 to 790 ft. than a mountain. There are better views out in the Berkshires and up in the White Mountains but we've been to busy rooting around in the woods of late to get to them.

Thanks for all your pics and we look forward to any/all going forward.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #235
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
Your vistas and scenery are just grand and we appreciate all you post. We're mostly on roads that are surrounded by trees but once in a great while we get up on top of a hill, but it's nothing like yours, as evidenced below.

The picture above was taken on top of Mount Sugarloaf; however, it is more of a big hill at 650 to 790 ft. than a mountain. There are better views out in the Berkshires and up in the White Mountains but we've been to busy rooting around in the woods of late to get to them.

Thanks for all your pics and we look forward to any/all going forward.
What's all that stuff in the gully under the bridge? You can't hardly see the rocks in there. And why are your trees all green like that?

MV
Old 07-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #236
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, what hesaid, said! Is that water under the bridge?

Of course you have to dodge more rain storms back there than hesaid and I do out here in order to enjoy all that green!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #237
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Double Riding Duty

Not an epic "remember for all times" ride report, but was able to spend some time away from people, work, computers, towns, and some heat for our annual family Mule camp & ride. This year I also took some extra transportation for some extra saddle time!

With the animals already at camp, wife and I loaded up and headed for the hills. Enjoying the drive up by the reservoir when I notice a pickup behind me flashing it's lights/turn signals, anything to get my attention. Pulled off the road and the nice fellow pointed out I may have an issue. Houston, we have a problem, I says to myself!!! Inner wheel bearing...gone! My bad! (Note to self: if I have a gut feeling I should take care of something ahead of time, just do it). Procrastination doesn't always work! Thanks to the guy for stopping me before worse got worser!

Luckily, I have a just the mode of transportation to head back to the nearest town to get some parts. So, after sitting by the road and 2 trips into town for parts (first bearing set was to small), we get to camp at 2230, 5 hours later than expected. It was dark. My wife still loves me!

Spent the next few days "Muling around" the woods and stuff.

Had/have a mechanical issue with the TW which limited some "other" saddle time, but managed to get out a few times in the evening
Georgie spotted the cattle down in the valley near a dude ranch. 4D Longhorn Guest Ranch I believe.

We are not cowboy's or have lots of money, but if you want to be a cowboy and got the money, 4D Ranch is for you! 4D Longhorn Ranches: A paradise for horseback riding in Idaho
Well, I've always wanted to be a cowboy, just not pay for it!

Alfred E. Georgie. "What, me worry!"

I should add, one morning Georgie chased a small black bear up a tree about 15 yards from our camper. Apparently, she really doesn't worry!

This upcoming weekend we'll be back on the Mules and letting the modern machines take a break before our "Russ Ralley Northwest Elk City. This ralley is a small weekend ride to honor a TW Forum member (Russ Austin) who passed away this past December. He was Lzrdbrth on both this and the TW Forum.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #238
popscycle
Fahren Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
What's all that stuff in the gully under the bridge? You can't hardly see the rocks in there. And why are your trees all green like that?

MV
LOL, whatever it is, my sometimes co-rider (AKA Rider Two) seems to think his GS belongs in it from time to time. I plan to get him a rubber duck as a farkle.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:17 AM   #239
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Georgie sure is a good riding partner with watching for cattle and keeping the bear away. Go Georgie Go
Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 AM   #240
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Russ Rally Northwest-Elk City, Idaho 24-27 July 2014

First let me give you a little background which help originate this ride. A long time TW200Forum member (also here on Advrider) Lizardbrth (Russ Austin), passed away last December after a short bout with cancer. He was the most knowledgeable person I know regarding the TW200. He helped scores of TW owners on the forum as well as in person, and on the phone!

In honor of this man, a few regional memorial rides were organized throughout the country. One was in the New York State, one in Missouri/Arkansas area, a big one in California, his home state, and the last small one hosted by me in Idaho representing the PNW.

Russ was instrumental and initiating an oil cooler system for the TW which is still in developement and his last post number on the TW200 Forum was 7375. A TW member made a special oil cooler cover in his honor.

This was Russ and his wife, on their honeymoon I believe.

A few of you may have seen him.

This past March, a few family and friends had a memorial ride, placing this oil cooler cover in a place he use to ride. http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-o...arch-29-a.html

Anyway, this was my contribution to honoring Russ Austin (Lizrdbrth).

RUSS RALLEY NORTHWEST - ELK CITY, IDAHO - THE GATHERING

We're back from the ride, tired and sore, but with great memories. Speaking for myself, I thought of Russ quite a few times on this ride. May have only been 6 phyiscally present, but it felt like the whole TW200 gang was along. I get sentimental sometimes.

I was worried when I set the date of this, but had to make sure the snow was gone in the high elevations and before the fire season. The fire season did start all over the northwest prior to our ride, but thankfully the fire gods lets us ride!

So you don't have to try and figure out who is who, I'll start out and introduce us.

Ron (Roninboise). I've rode with Ron a few times over the past couple years. Fun to ride with

Bob (TW@76) Bob hadn't mentioned coming not knowing if he could make it or not. It was great he did.

Bill and Arleen. I did spell it right didn't I Arleen? (BillPacific and ArleenPacific). Unforseen circumstances prohibited Bill from brining his TW, but said he would come, and by gosh he did!

Bills TW for this gathering. Bill and Arleen couldn't stay but a day, but I'm sure glad they came no matter how long it was.

Us, Kris & Lori (Admiral and MrsAdmiral)

Almost forgot, Scamper (Ron's puppy and camp moose spotter)

and of course Georgie

Day 1 Thursday
Pre-Report note. I'm disgusted with my video camera. I had 3 great days worth of video, however, the video robbers would rob me of Days 1, 2, and part of days 3 video. I got the second half of day 3. You won't be able to tell, but there is a lot of good stuff to show you, that is left only to our memories. Hopefully the photo's will suffice! This is the second time my video camera has failed to record! Aargh!

In order to maybe get an extra day of riding and scouting the local trails/roads, we headed up Wednesday after work arriving at camp around 11:00 p.m. We were tired! Camp was already occupied, so we hit the day for the night nearby. As luck would have it, all the campers left the area so we took it over! (Feeling like a campground Pirate Admiral)

Decided to scout out some areas along the Crooked River up near Orogrande. Rode up FS311 for a bit and took a loop detour on an unnamed mine road which would bring us back down to Orogrande.

It was a bit chilly today (high 60's). We stopped at Old Orogrande, jct of 311/233 to sun ourselves and grab
a geocache.

I think this is the old Boarding/Hotel building in Old Orogrande.

Heading back to camp (slowly) we head up trail 807 near Five Mile Camp. It's an ATV trail now and is very steep in places. My 55T rear sprocket did the job though I did bog down slightly in one very very steep section.

With all the mining history of the area, I was hoping to find an old mine with some stuff to look at. Bingo, we found one!! This appeared to be a mechanics/storage shed near the shaft enterence

Door was chained and locked, but I was able to squeeze the camera in for this shot

I love it when we find the old ore cart tracks

I'm in mine find heaven

Now, I won't go in an old mine cause of the danger, and this is a good reason why. Caved in just inside the entrance

1 of 2 cabins at the mine. Looks like they had electricity. Most likely with a generator I suppose

Been a while since last occupied

Second cabin is directly behind the first one

All the comforts of home eh?

One last photo for the day while on top of the ridge before heading back to camp

When we get back, Bob and Ron will have both arrived. We chit chat around the campfire for a while, and
with all of us a bit tired, we bed down for the night.

End of Day 1. More to come