Thanks
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #92
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
Great pics Admiral. I've always wanted to get in there more. Up headwaters way did a loop of the Jarbidge once, looked out from God's Pocket. Sat on a rock at about 10,000 feet, looked down and found some old boy's Prince Albert can. Amazing how old timers got around that dry, rocky country. We're spoilt with rubber soled shoes, motors etc.
Thanks, glad you like the pics. Lots of riders have gone, but Jarbridge is on my bucket list. I gotta ride there!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #93
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
The old buildings are way cool, especially since you've tracked down the old photos.

Brilliant!
I'm actually learning quite a bit when I try to look up old photo's and history of a building or area. Something I like to do I guess.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #94
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaYolk View Post
Was twin springs capped? I keep coming across springs that we have used for years that have had the drinking feed pipes removed because EPA mandates testing but controlling agencies, BLM, BoR, NFS, ect., don't allocate funding for tests, even on highways, like the springs outside Burns Junction.

Love the pics of my old CT90 stomping grounds, back when I was spry and fit.
Good thing trailrider had the info. I didn't stop long enough to look around, only a quick rest in the shade and didn't wonder around. Saw a hand pump, but didn't even check that out.

BTW, I saw your bike outside your place in UFO city as I passed through on this ride. I'll stop and say hi if I catch you outside sometime.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #95
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Ride to Hattie Harrell Ranch, Oregon

Well, this is my third and by no means last venture into this general area. When I first started exploring this area, my idea was to find and ride around Lake Owyhee in eastern Oregon in one day. After my first foray, I discovered I didn't have nearly enough time, and I had one obstacle to cross...the Owyhee River. On my second foray, I traveled to Birch Creek/Morrison Ranches, in hopes of finding a way across the river. On this trip, I found a way across. However, the area is so large with so much history, making a dash around the lake in 1 day would be an injustice.

So, here is my chapter: Ride to Hattie Harrell Ranch.

My route. Just for bearing sake, in the bottom left near the river you'll see the Henry and George Ranches. These are actually the Birch Creek and Morrison Ranches I previously rode too a few weeks back. I've found conflicting names on different maps and generally have defaulted to what the BLM calls them.

To save time, I truck in my TW since I've traveled most of the gravel roads in the area. Here is my starting point. I'll call it "Lone Tree Ranch". Abandoned by some measure long ago. For those of you who've been here, you'll probably recognize it.

On the way to Blue Canyon to start my descent, I ran across these wild horses. Wasn't sure they were actually wild horses at the time, but I've read other accounts of people mentioning wild horses in the area.

Blue Canyon and the Owyhee River in the Watson area. I'll be heading that way first

Head'in down the grade

After I arrive down by the river/lake, I go to check out my first destination for the day, the Watson Post Office ruins and geocache. Since the creation of the dam, this is now under water much of the time. Here's some info I pulled from the geocaching website of the area: "The original Watson Post Office was established on July 15, 1898. It was located at the Robert J. Ivers ranch at the lower end of the Black Rocks area on the Owyhee River in southeastern Oregon. The Post Office served the isolated ranches up and down the river. The Post Office remained in this location until 1906. All that remains today are the scattered hand-cut stones of the original building."

Georgie and I at the cache site above the post office

After visiting the post office and cache, I head west through some hills to do more 'splorin

After a brief water break I check my gps for any nearby geocaches. Turns out there is one only a couple hundred feet away. I hike over and find it

Turns out, this cache was just above another old homestead ruins

Still in the Watson area, I head north of this cache and take in the views of the Owyhee River

On to Hattie Harrell Ranch. Turn south, I head upstream towards the ranch

Nearby I find one of the old irrigation waterwheels used to irrigate the crop fields of the ranch

Well, time is getting short so I must head back to the truck

...but wait, I find one of the river ford locations I've been looking for. I can't pass that by without giving it a shot can I?

Nope!

That about wraps it up for the day. Just gotta re-trace my route back to the truck

Don't forget to watch the video!!!

Old 09-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #96
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,041
Nice report! When were you out there? We were just out there Sunday and Monday. You didn't make it to Watson Cemetery? Saving it for another trip huh?
Old 09-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #97
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Just a couple days before you. I was there on Friday. Didn't see anyone, though there was a pickup with a cot next to it near the reservoir at the old ranch I parked at.

I was/am disappointed in myself for not trying harder to visit the cemetery. It was on my to do list for the day, I just was unsure of exactly how to get there. I presume I needed to keep following the southern river bank (by looking at Google Earth). ...but yes I'll be back, lot of cool things to see out there yet.

I saw a pic of another ranch on the west side of the river you posted in one of wingfooted's threads a while back. Also saw a photo of some ATV'ers doing some trail maintenance on the west side road, so I assume it is passible by ATV and motorcycle since the flooding you've mentioned.

This is a lot nicer area to ride than I had ever thought, though a bit warm in the summer!

Old 09-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #98
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
Just a couple days before you. I was there on Friday. Didn't see anyone, though there was a pickup with a cot next to it near the reservoir at the old ranch I parked at.

I was/am disappointed in myself for not trying harder to visit the cemetery. It was on my to do list for the day, I just was unsure of exactly how to get there. I presume I needed to keep following the southern river bank (by looking at Google Earth). ...but yes I'll be back, lot of cool things to see out there yet.

I saw a pic of another ranch on the west side of the river you posted in one of wingfooted's threads a while back. Also saw a photo of some ATV'ers doing some trail maintenance on the west side road, so I assume it is passible by ATV and motorcycle since the flooding you've mentioned.

This is a lot nicer area to ride than I had ever thought, though a bit warm in the summer!
I see they updated Google Earth with a new picture taken in July of that area. You can see Watson Cemetery very clearly on it. That narrow spot on the other side of the river is still passable with a motorcycle or normal size ATV, not the monster side by sides every one seems to have these days. I went down it in March this year.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #99
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Big Black Dogs?

Goofing around with the camera in between some of my exploring for me rides!

Old 09-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #100
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Hey Admiral -- The U-200 on the river crossing is funny. Why did the bike stop in the middle? Didn't look that deep. No luck restarting, or just decided to really get your socks clean and push it out. Nice video. Your explorations are great. --- RRR.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #101
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,256
that is some serious lightning protection. I'd like to watch a storm from there. Keep the pics coming, I wish I could go there to come along

n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #102
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
This is a great thread, and it motivates me get down to the southern half of the state!

Thanks!
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #103
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Glad you like my stuff RRR, n16ht5. I keep dreaming of riding the St. George area one day, and n16ht5, your trail rides keep me young!

N-ID-Jim, I gotta get up north of the time zone. Great riding up yonder!

Old 09-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #104
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

You Never Know

what you'll run across. Seen this for years, finally rode to it on the TW.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #105
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 635
Very cool as allways. Thanks for video ! Really lets you see the ease of the TW in the rocky stuff.

Im thinkin more and more, this may be the best answer for slower travel in rougher areas ? I rode one when I lived in Aruba, but that was smoother desert in the interior. Never got to test one on western USA rocks and rough.

They look very easy to deal with in the rocks.
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote