User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2014, 05:38 AM   #1
FredRydr OP
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,027
Compare: OEM v. SWMotech centerstands on '08-'12 bikes

I've owned my '09 bike since new, and have made various upgrades over the years, especially suspension. The bike is now 44mm lower with NIX fork cartridges and aftermarket shock. I had the OEM center stand modified accordingly (twice). It's a real PITA to get the right shape when modifying the OEM center stand so it wouldn't strike the swing arm or the passenger peg yet still work effectively. For a year now, the center and side stands conflict, and I just deal with it.

Anyway, I've had an SWMotech center stand on the shelf, and I am finally going to install it to see if it works better (it is the same design as that on the current series bikes, as well as my '07 Roadster). It looks easier to modify than OEM.

I will report on the comparison after the swap, but I am looking for other inmate feedback. Care to share?

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 05-14-2014 at 06:01 AM
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #2
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,115
Hey Fted!

Reaver has done this mod and is more than happy with it. apparantly it is way easier to put the bike on CS, almost too easy. But I'm sure he's going to report back as soon as he gets his lazy arse out of his bed.

Remember, he even killed santa with it

R1150GSA SE

Loutre screwed with this post 05-14-2014 at 12:04 PM
Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
lookaught
Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 198
I've had both, the motech on my old 800 and the OEM bullhorns on my current bike. I prefer the motech. IMO it is easier to get the bike off the motech stand, I could hop on the bike and rock forward and easily get the bike off the stand. The OEM stand, besides looking weird, is very awkward to get the bike off the stand, I have to do it off the bike and sometimes it'll even just skid along my smooth concrete in my garage and not drop. I will say it is easier to get the bike up with the OEM.

Anyway, I'd go with the Motech stand if I had a choice. The other really helpful thing with the motech stand is that if you get a flat front tire, even though normally the stand picks the rear off the ground (good for changing rear tires), you can load weight on the back of the bike and it will pivot the bike and lift the front instead. The OEM stand as far as I can tell won't allow this because of the way the bullhorns are shaped versus the straight legs on the motech.
Solo Ride Pennsylvania to Anchorage, Alaska and back 2011

Two Ape supermotos take on the Dragon
lookaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
FredRydr OP

I believe going up, the OEM design spreads the weight over a larger area and prevents sinking into soft ground, but I rarely use the center stand off paved surfaces anyway. But if I have a puncture, I gotta use a center stand whatever the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookaught View Post
...The other really helpful thing with the motech stand is ... you can load weight on the back of the bike and it will pivot the bike and lift the front instead. The OEM stand as far as I can tell won't allow this because of the way the bullhorns are shaped versus the straight legs on the motech.
I carry a spare strap and always cinch the OEM center stand down, tight, before removing either wheel. Then load the back to lift the front as you describe.

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 05-17-2014 at 06:16 AM Reason: added more dumb shit
Old 05-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
runnr548
BMW Pilot

Oddometer: 116
Cool2

I need to add a CS to my 2012 F650GS. It looks like the Motech will work as well as the ones for the F700GS, but the part numbers don't match!
runnr548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
FredRydr OP

I was about to mount the SWMotech center stand and I stood it next to the OEM on the floor of the garage. Unless it is missing, there is no rubber bumper on the SWMotech. The rubber bumper from the OEM stand will not fit. More troubling is that there is only one place to mount one of the two springs, but the SWMotech center stand is just as heavy as the OEM, if not more. The first issue is an annoyance; I can find something that would work as a bumper. The second matter is more serious, and seems likely to end this experiment. I cannot have my center stand dropping down while riding.

Fred
Old 05-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #7
dpm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
the springs are concentric, mine came with a bumper but it was loose and I replaced it with (iirc) a foot from an old pc.
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
FredRydr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm View Post
the springs are concentric
Springs that came with the SWMotech center stand? I bought it used from inmate PeterX, and it had no springs. I assumed it would use the two separate springs from the OEM unit.

Fred
Old 05-17-2014, 11:27 PM   #9
dpm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Yes, two springs one inside the other just like OE.

http://shop.sw-motech.com/cosmoshop/...57_10000_b.pdf
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:29 AM   #10
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,297
That's not how the OEM center stand is on my bike. Mine has 2 separate springs. One on each side of the stand. Not 2-in-1 like those instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
runnr548
BMW Pilot

Oddometer: 116
Cool2

I just installed a SWMotech center stand & love it! Two springs on one side...one inside the other. It also has a bumper. It works great!
runnr548 is offline   Reply With Quote