Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Farkler OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Riding through the Rockies... Suggestions?

Hey all,

In about 4 weeks I am going to be taking a trip from SD through Wyoming then down to the Rockies for a day or two of camping and riding. Its been years since I've been through the Rockies and this will be the first time on a bike. What are some can't miss places, dirt trails, or stops? The downside: I can only afford one or two days in the mountains. I'd love suggestions!

I'll be riding on a BMW F650 classic that is moderately set up for ADV touring. I'm not afraid of moderate dirt trails and I plan to camp, but since I may be riding solo, I'd rather play it safe and not get too terribly far off of the beaten path this time.

Thanks in advance for the help!

- Caleb
Old 05-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Rovas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Pick a spot, its all good. I'm going on a weekend-er starting the end of May from Den to the Ouray/Durango/Telluride area (thru Gunnison) but I don't think you can pick a bad route. It your staying up North, try the Trapper's Lake thru Steamboat and thru Rocky Mt Natl Park area. Good luck. bg
Rovas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Wired
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I haven't been in the Trapper's Lake area lately, but I've heard it's simply not the same since the fire.

I've always enjoyed the area around Hahn's Peak Lake. There's a campground there and one down by Clark called Hinman Park.

How far south are you planning on coming? Rocky Mountain National Park might be something for you to check out as well.
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Farkler OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Can't Wait

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely look into getting to some of those places.

I plan to come south about as far as the Colorado Springs. Basically I am taking a trailer/truck up to SD because I will be helping my dad on a cabin up there for a week but then will leave the truck up there and ride back on the bike. I live near Manhattan, KS and plan to just take the LONG way back. I'd prefer not to drop too far South of I-70 since I'd just have to turn back North again, but I'm game for anything that time will allow. Unfortunately, 2 days in the area is the maximum I can afford, and most likely only a day and a half before I head East on 70.

I'll take a look at Hahn's Peak lake... Sounds like a nice place to stop for the first night as I come South.

Caleb