Oddometer: 2,865
Alaska Leather Christmas Party

Saturday, December 13, 6:00 PM. Potluck, Chinese auction. Thanks! Barb
Old 12-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
BARB OP
Beastly Adventurer

Christmas Party

Potluck and Chinese gift exchange! Bring a dish and a gift (under $20) if you want to participate in the gift exchange. We'll provide beer and soda. Bring a chair if you want to sit.

Now at 5 PM instead of 6 PM!

BARB screwed with this post 12-11-2014 at 05:32 PM
BARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 678
Thank You, Barb. I , or we, will not be able to attend. Flying out to the desert that AM. Merry Christmas..

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
BARB OP
Beastly Adventurer

it's tonight! See everyone here. Barb
Old 12-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
Stuck at work AGAIN! Someday though. Thanks for hosting this (and MANY more events) for everyone Barb. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,553
I'm working till late. Maybe see you round 8.

Have fun, MH
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,880
Bummer! Not coming in to Los Anchorage 'til Sunday. Gotta get Bobi to the airport early Monday morning so she can fly down to spend Christmas with her mom.

Y'all have a great time tonight, and a Very Merry Christmas!
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:16 AM   #8
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,553
Wow, great turnout! Thanks to everyone who came. Always a pleasure seeing all of you.

And of course, as always, a very very big thank you to Barb for having us all over!

AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
BARB OP
Beastly Adventurer

I forgot to give everyone their Christmas coupon! If you attended, come by the shop and pick it up. Thanks to everyone for bringing food and gifts, it was a lot of fun. Barb
Old 12-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #10
flybynitetours
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Talking christmas season

I havebeen on Creta (Crete) for the last 5 weeks, perhaps the most amazing place to ride a motorcycle I have eve been. Yesterday, I left the bike in Kissamos (kastelli) and flew from Xania creta to Thessaloniki makedonia. I will be here until Jan 3rd when I will fly to Istanbul for 5 days of looking at stuff. I fly back to Xania to reunite with the bike. Expect to be on Creta until maybe march (depending on weather) head for Turkey. I expect to be back in alaska by late april or may. bob white
Old 12-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
BARB OP
Beastly Adventurer

Someone left a stool/chair in the back room. Barb
Old 12-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
USBYGS
Riding the World

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynitetours View Post
I havebeen on Creta (Crete) for the last 5 weeks, perhaps the most amazing place to ride a motorcycle I have eve been. Yesterday, I left the bike in Kissamos (kastelli) and flew from Xania creta to Thessaloniki makedonia. I will be here until Jan 3rd when I will fly to Istanbul for 5 days of looking at stuff. I fly back to Xania to reunite with the bike. Expect to be on Creta until maybe march (depending on weather) head for Turkey. I expect to be back in alaska by late april or may. bob white
You go Bob! Crete... hmmm, okay it is on the list now.

Take no prisoners - Leave no witnesses
USBYGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:45 AM   #13
flybynitetours
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Cool2 creta

Creta is a unique place, mountains that look like the front range of Colorado, roads that routinely gain or loose 500 - 1000 meters of elevation in a short distance via amazing curves. In general the road surface is very high quality (unlike many places in the Balkans) and a pleasure to ride. In general, I never see outsiders on bikes, locals ride step thru scooters a lot. I imagine that changes in the summer.

There is good news and bad news riding here off season. The hotel rooms are a fraction of the summer price, if you can find one open, not always an easy task. You may find a taverna open, and there may be a menue with 50 items on it but they serve one or two items which is what you have for lunch. Typically boiled rooster and potatoes and boiled somebody else with potatoes. lunch and a beer runs 4-5 euros depending, it is very tasty.

the geography of creta is characterized by fault line canyons mostly running north and south which have developed into amazing gulches, some world famous, some hoping to be world famous. the consequence of the gullys is very deep steep narrow canyons which have roads going way in and way out as they traverse the country, plus a lot of elevation gain and loss. 2nd - 3rd gear mostly going down to 1st gear on particularly sharp step turns.

with semi trucks on them

since I have been taking mostly back roads I go through a lot of obscure villages. Many of them, if not most are way up on the mountain with the sea side places heavily fortified as pirates, a nice way to describe muslim pirate slavers that operated into modern times, were hard on the people along the coasts. the interesting thing about riding into the villages is you have no idea what you might run into, the roads which are likely very old suffered a coating of asphalt and little else. you feed down very narrow slots between stone buildings perhaps a thousand years old if not more frequently with on coming traffic, semis even.

Greece does not use road or route numbers, a certain organization has been I posed by the EU, the data base of my garmin gps show European route so and so, vaguely in the location of the exist road, or maybe not even close. the main problem is I am a functional illiterate in that I do not speak or read greek. In the big cities, around tourist areas they post signs in greek script and latin script. However out in the bushes where I tend to go there may be a sign but it is in greek script, and even though I have pretty good maps there seems to be little convention in naming things, or which name is listed as they have multiple names generally. wilderness travel skills come to the fore, I muddle my way through.

all in all, it has been a lot of fun. bob white