Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
willjco OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
How early is to early for a trip to prudhoe bay?

I am planing making a trip up to prudhoe bay and need so advise on when to go/when is it passable?
willjco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #2
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by willjco View Post
I am planing making a trip up to prudhoe bay and need so advise on when to go/when is it passable?
The Dalton Hwy is open year 'round and at some time in its history has been traveled by motorcycle in nearly every month of the year. Therefore the primary limitation will be your own preparation and tenacity.

You're probably safe from avalanches in Atigun Pass from the first of June through the end of September, but even that can't be guaranteed. Snow can be experienced any month of the year, and if you aren't rained on somewhere along the route you should rush home and buy a lottery ticket.

For the best chance of good weather it is usually advised to travel the Dalton during the first two weeks of June. The disadvantage of that timeframe is that DOT is doing their spring heavy maintenance on the road and you will run into more grading operations, many where they are mixing in a new helping of calcium chloride and/or filling in dips and washouts.

With good weather and an extra helping of good luck the run to Prudhoe Bay and back can be nothing more than 1000 miles of mixed gravel and poor to good asphalt that has been done in as little as 18 hours. Or it can take four or five miserable days. It can be just a nice ride through scenic countryside... or an adventure you're hoping to survive.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
Herkjerk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
I did mine this past August and the dalton at that time was the nicest dirt road I've ever ridden! The only difficulty was the 60kt gusts for the last 40 miles.
Herkjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #4
XXMe
Geezer on the road

Oddometer: 937
To OP, read Alcan Riders links! He knows what he's talking about.

Can't wait to get back up there!
XXMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #5
Lizzard323
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I did mine on Sept 10-12th. Some snow had already fallen and two days prior someone had crashed and died in a pickup. Two bikes from Germany got stuck in Deadhorse for a day or so after dropping the bikes numerous times and turning back north. Good food there though...

My next attempt on a 99cc Kawasaki in June.

Lizzard323 screwed with this post 02-22-2015 at 05:29 PM
Lizzard323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #6
legion
Pope's Nose

Oddometer: 12,785
I've been on it over 4th of July weekend and it was snowing. Shoot for anytime you can make it but look out the window first. If the weather's beautiful according to the news; go for it. If it's not; think twice.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote