ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #31
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631

Testing Rob's GoPro chest mount. Needs to be a little higher. Works great when I'm standing up :)

bodhizafa screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 10:23 AM
bodhizafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #32
LemurPilot
Nugget

Oddometer: 268
Chuckles

We have a solution for Chuckles clutch, a paddle wheel. Lovingly demonstrated by Touratech, with cheesy music, slow panning and too much face time but still a phenomenal idea.

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...-tire-ii-video

I think I'll need this baby for the 1200:
Old 06-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #33
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
cool vid
Old 06-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #34
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Just checking in...
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #35
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sean decided to take a class called American Supercamp this weekend:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=24

Jay and I see this as Sean trying to get better than us, and I for one just won't stand for that. So, to make sure we got in some practice while Sean was learning how to flat track it, I told Jay I'd meet him at his place when he got off work for a ride on the small bikes (Steph is out of town, so I just stole her bike ).

Didn't really know where we wanted to go, so we figured we'd just head up towards Central City on 119. On the way up, I saw the sign for Rollins Pass and decided to just go see what's up there:

http://goo.gl/maps/4Q0l

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

We ended up heading up Mammoth Gulth Rd and taking that to the top of some mountain:

http://goo.gl/maps/Uafa

Got some good pictures:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

We continued on over the pass into Saint Marry's and then down to Fall River which we took down to I-70 then over to OMG road out of Idaho. Had a really good right from what was just going to be a quick afternoon ride...

The WR is a champ. I flogged that bitch all day long. In the altitude, you only have one and sometimes two gears to work with, but I'm really impressed with the suspension on the little beast. Clock said ~115 miles it before I got gas (I was 25 miles deep in the reserve, so I'm sure I was almost dead empty).

Also, don't tell Steph this, but it's a damn good thing we put a real skid plate on it.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #36
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
You bastards getting tired of showing off yet?

Looks awesome!

Unfortunately, my views today won't be as nice... more than likely just more of Sean's ass as I try to pass him
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #37
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
You bastards getting tired of showing off yet?

Looks awesome!

Unfortunately, my views today won't be as nice... more than likely just more of Sean's ass as I try to pass him
A good trick for passing Sean is, get on the inside of him, then square up. The impact usually pushes him out of the turn/over the berm/off the bike. Don't tell him I told you....

Have fun at the camp, and hope to get to ride with you again soon.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #38
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post
... hope to get to ride with you again soon.
Me, too... can always use some help picking up my bike
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #39
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Video from yesterday's ride:

Old 06-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #40
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Enjoyable thread! Two questions for you.

Can you post some pics with the players of "The Wolfpack" with bikes and names so I know who you're talking about?

What impressed you about the suspension of the WR (I assume it's a WR250R)?
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #41
ColoSean
Yard-sale Expert

Oddometer: 648
That "dirtbike" ride looks like a gay pride parade. I'm just saying it looks super-lame and no one wants to hear about your brokeback mtn shit. I mean, come on, a DRZ and WR250....I think my grandma has one of each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post
Jay and I see this as Sean trying to get better than us, and I for one just won't stand for that.
Shit son, you have no idea. Danny hooked my up with some skills to pay the bills. Better watch out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylsmkj View Post
Can you post some pics with the players of "The Wolfpack" with bikes and names so I know who you're talking about?
Sorry, that's my fault. I was going to do it on the second post and never got around to it. I'll get it up in the next day or so.
ColoSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #42
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
Sorry, that's my fault. I was going to do it on the second post and never got around to it. I'll get it up in the next day or so.
Make sure your bio says that "Sean is the lazy one in the Wolfpack..."
Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #43
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylsmkj View Post
What impressed you about the suspension of the WR (I assume it's a WR250R)?
Well firstly, I'm impressed that a small displacement Japenese bike has inverted forks and adjustable suspension. Kind of freaked me out at first. Secondly, the suspension can actually take a hit. It soaks up jumps and bumps and whoops pretty well. Everything is a go on it, except who knows why they didn't put an easily adjustable rear preload on it. Pretty weak. The suspension is setup for my girlfriend, so it was a little soft yesterday, but I never bottomed out once, and I was riding it pretty hard. I guess that could be attributed to the lack of any real power to get you up to "bottom out speeds"....

Yeah, it's a WRR...
Old 06-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #44
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Back to Tiger Rd

Steph and I loaded up the bikes (I borrowed Jay's DRZ) and headed up to Breck on Friday morning:

Untitled

We got out of the house about 830 and after getting gas and spare tubes were on the road by 9. Since we got up there on Friday, there was no problem finding a camp site.

Untitled

Untitled

We setup the tent, took the dog for a walk, ate some lunch, and were off riding by about 10 after 1. Steph has been giving me shit about taking her on "real" trails instead of all these dirt roads, so I took her to one of the harder trails I knew that was close to the camp site (you take a right off of FR 354):

Untitled

Untitled

She was shredding the trail. I really am blown away at how well she rides. She picks better lines than me every time. We got about half way up, and she had her first tip over on her new bike. I yelled for her to let me help her, but she is super stubborn, so she picked it up herself:

Untitled

Untitled

We ripped through a few more rough sections:

Untitled

Untitled

Then Steph had her second tip over. She bent her rear break so I bent it back out with a tire iron:

Untitled

She wanted to keep going, but not having bark busters on the bike, I knew it was a matter of time before she broke a lever, so I told her "remember, we have to ride back down this". She bergrudingly turned back:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

It felt great to get back to the camp and relax:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

On day two, I got up and started the coffee and had a look at the map while Steph started breakfast:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

We ate, took the dog for a walk, and were on the trail at 10 after 10. This time we decided to try and head over the Middle Fork up and over to Montezuma via Webster Pass Rd.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

We got to just above tree line on the Middle Fork when Steph couldn't get the bike to go any further. I jumped on it and tried to ride it up the next tech section, but it litterally had no power. I got it another couple hundred yards up the trail and decided the bike just couldn't do it. That's the one thing I don't like about the WR. Abover 11 feet, it barley has enough power to move. Anyway, Steph offered to stay and hang out and take pictures while I road to the top, so I took off on the DRZ.

Untitled

Untitled

I got to the top of the Middle Fork, and then hooked a left and went all the way to the top of the divide:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

We headed back down, and road some stuff off the Middle Fork, and the South Fork.

Untitled

There was a ton of traffic down low, and it was wicked hot, so we headed back to camp and loaded up. We were back home at about 6. All in all, we did 67 miles in two days:

Untitled

Untitled

And Steph's hands had the blisters to prove it...

Untitled
Old 06-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #45
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Dear Rocky Mountain ADV riders. I need you to please help Jay and Sean through their grieving process. You see, I'm selling the White Knight (Thank Toddler for the name), and they are having a hard time with it. It's not that I'm breaking up with them, I'm just moving to a smaller bike. Please help them through this time by giving them a spare tampon or teddy bear or something.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Rob