ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #91
ColoSean
Yard-sale Expert

Oddometer: 648
My deep thought for the morning:

Rob- that sucks!

/Sean out
ColoSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #92
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post
If it's not leaking, it's not a KTM?
Actually, if it doesn't have tape or JBweld holding something together then it's not a KTM.
Quote:
Yeah, it's a bummer because I was going to go ride today...1 of 2 weeks I have free for the rest of the month and into the second week of August...Also, it sucks, because I literally haven't even really ridden the bike other than around town to break it in.
Dude. Slap some rescue tape on that thing and go ride! Deal with changing out the hose later. If you're going to hold off riding until everything is working perfectly you'll never get on the trail. To quote Silverboy: "Dirtbike maintenance is just a constant state of triage."

Btw - I've had good luck using Oxyclean on gassed clothes.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR

thump_co screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 10:08 AM
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #93
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Actually, if it doesn't have tape or JBweld holding something together then it's not a KTM.

Dude. Slap some rescue tape on that thing and go ride! Deal with changing out the hose later. If you're going to hold off riding until everything is working perfectly you'll never get on the trail. To quote Silverboy: "Dirtbike maintenance is just a constant state or triage."

Btw - I've had good luck using Oxyclean on gassed clothes.
You're totally right about just taping it and riding. Jay's been saying that for 2 days. I guess I've just got a bunch of sand in my vag because it's brand new. I should have just knocked it over in the parking lot like I used to do with my MX bikes so I could just get the first crash out of the way. Anyway, I'll have it together and be riding Sunday with some peeps. Let me know when you're getting out next. I'd love to ride with some more people.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #94
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well, I got the bike back from Elite on Saturday morning. I'm really itching to ride since I haven't really gotten to ride the new bike yet. Jay had to work on Saturday, and I'm in the middle of moving, so we had to make it an afternoon ride. We wanted to explore some trails not too far from Gold Hill, so we headed up and parked near Switz. Got the bikes unloaded, and Jay realized he forgot his key....doh!

I decided to think a minute on what was the proper thing to do here. Of course I took off and left Jay to try and hotwire his bike:

Untitled

I only road around for 10 or 15 mins before we loaded up and headed home. Not really that big of a deal as I was planning on heading up to Breck on Sunday....turns out Breck fell through at the last minute, so I sent Jay an email to see if he wanted to try Gold Hill again. Take two:

Untitled

We figured we'd just run from the begining of Switz, and we were at the trail head by about 4:15. Warmed up the bikes, and started down the trail. Road for about 5 mintues, and my goddamn bike started spewing gas all over my leg again! I didn't even realize it until jay pulled up to me and pointed it out. It looked like someone was just dumping fuel right onto the ground from my fuel tank. Jay said he could smell gas as he was following me for some time...

So I figure maybe the hose slipped off or something, so I take the tank off and have a look:

Another gas leak

We find another pin sized hole in the exact same line that Elite "changed". The hole is quite a bit higher up on the line this time though. After having a look at the hose and looking back at the pictures, it looks to me that all they did at Elite was cut the bottom of the hose off where the old hole was. Who gives a shit if I've got a bad hose or it's not run through the frame correctly. Anyway, I'll shoot them an email to let them know I'm not happy, but I'm gonna go ahead and order a new hose and fix it myself or see if I can have some steel braided lines made up. I guess if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. It's a damn shame that I bought a brand new bike, and I've had two massive fuel leaks on it from the same hose, and the bike has less than 2.5 hours on it still...

So as much as I tried to get out and ride this weekend, it just wasn't happening. Now I'm travelling for the next 3 weeks strait, so guess the POS will just have to sit in the garage and make everything in there smell like fuel.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #95
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
The gods be mean this weekend
Old 07-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #96
ScottG
Razor Sharp

Oddometer: 264
Its a "Lemon" take it back and get a different one!
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #97
ColoSean
Yard-sale Expert

Well there's your problem, Jay's working on the bike.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #98
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

The Hoopty rides on!

As is usually the case, my bikes name themselves or pickup a name from my friends. The 500 has earned the name "Hoopty" from me. If you've never heard that word, it's just a word used to mean a P.O.S car/bike/vehicle. Read here for a better explanation. Anyway, since she broke down twice on me in the first two hours, she's earned the name.

After the last gas line incident, I put the bike in the garage because I had to do some travelling. First to Tucson for work, then to the Yukon for some serious mountain biking. The trails in Whitehorse and Carcross are amazing. Check it:

Untitled

Carcross has some really well laid out trails

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

I love these seesaws... :)

Untitled

This trail is called "Broken Truck"

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

After that, I came home for one day and was forced to go on an all expenses paid trip to Leguna Seca for the MotoGP:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Finally, I was able to get back home to actually ride. You can understand how stressful it must be to have been away from my bike for so long. By the time I got home, Elite had mailed me a new hose to put on the bike. It just so happened Jay go in town the same night, so we headed out. We decided to try (for the third damn time) to explore the trails out of the Gold Hill area. We unloaded at the begining of Switz and started ripping. We turned off every trail we could and found some pretty tough trails:

Untitled

Untitled

I didn't take too many more pictures before my camera died:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

We then found this really cool/tight single track that dropped you right down into Left Hand on the road. We were going to head for the OHV area, but it was almost dark, and we'd been riding for a few hours and were both pretty hungry, so we packed it in.

The bike ran like a champ. This really is the best dirtbike I've ever ridden. The bike is amazing. You'd have to ride one to understand what I'm talking about.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #99
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
It never looks as tough in pictures.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #100
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Lone wolf

I'm trying to ride as much as I can right now since I'll be in town for awhile. Jay had to work today, so I took on solo and headed for LH. I just rode from Jays house in Lousiville up to Left Hand. I wanted to ride some of the trails I've never ridden at LH, so I had a quick look at the trail map, and took off. I started by going up 843 and then down 843A. Going up was pretty damn tough and everything is pretty washed out right now.

After that, I just started going everywhere. I really wasn't paying much attention to anything, and I started going down a pretty rocky area. I think it was the top of 288.

Untitled

Untitled

I followed it all the way to the bottom, and looked for a way to loop around, but it seemed like everything at the bottom had signs saying private property, so I decided I'd have to ride back up. It was damn rough riding back up, and I stopped half way and cool myself and the bike down:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

After I got back to the top, I started exploring more:

Untitled

Untitled

I eventually ran into a few guys riding, and stopped to chat. I asked if they cared if I tagged along with them, and neither had a problem with that, so we started hitting some single track (and a few other trails):

This guys name is Kristian and he knows the area really well and can ride like a champ:

Untitled

Untitled

This guys name is Grant, and he's only ridden a moto 4 or so times. He was tearing this shit up for only riding 4 times. Blew my mind.

Untitled

Untitled

I got in about 6 hours or hard riding today and I broke in the skid plate and clutch on the new bike...

I had a great time riding with a few new buddies, and I can't wait to get out again tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #101
ColoSean
Yard-sale Expert

Quote:
Untitled
WTF? That's not a trail. The only people that ride shit like that, hate life. You feeling okay, Rob?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #102
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
WTF? That's not a trail. The only people that ride shit like that, hate life. You feeling okay, Rob?
You know me, I never admit when I'm in over my head....and this time is no exception.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #103
kluver
n00b

Oddometer: 1
The 287A has a few rocks

Yo Rob, Kluver here. I did a quick hot lap on your nemesis the "not so smooth" 287A, check it. Ride soon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGMFz...ature=youtu.be
kluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #104
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluver View Post
Yo Rob, Kluver here. I did a quick hot lap on your nemesis the "not so smooth" 287A, check it. Ride soon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGMFz...ature=youtu.be
Kluve... welcome to ADV buddy. Guess who needs another pipe weld?

rtadlock - That boulder field is Castle Gultch. It's legal to go through that metal USFS gate at the bottom, which will eventually take you back around to the top of 843A. The "private" sign on the gate is BS that the guy with the house at the bottom puts up illegally. The gate is supposed to remain open during the summer, but he closes it constantly.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #105
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
I believe the sign on Castle Gultch was put up by the forest service after getting pressured by home owners at the Boulder forest service OHV meetings every third thursday of the month. (hint-hint more ADVriders should go to the meetings) I know that Beernutt, or Wannabeeuro would know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Kluve... welcome to ADV buddy. Guess who needs another pipe weld?

rtadlock - That boulder field is Castle Gultch. It's legal to go through that metal USFS gate at the bottom, which will eventually take you back around to the top of 843A. The "private" sign on the gate is BS that the guy with the house at the bottom puts up illegally. The gate is supposed to remain open during the summer, but he closes it constantly.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote