ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 05:45 AM   #1516
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Vulfy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
Let your daily riding preferences decide, either bike will be fine out there on gk sets.
I'm with "ohgood" on this one. Use the bike that you will ride on the street or wherever you ride the most. I had DRZ400. It was great for Gymkhana, but after riding it, I found that I hate dirtbike ergonomics for the street, so got rid of it.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #1517
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 5,152
Well, nobody else showed up, so no video footage. But I didn't drop my SV! Dabbed my foot a couple times though, when I thought I was going go down.

I did practice figure 8's. Lotsa fun. Gonna do it again.
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #1518
stoke
ocean minded
 
stoke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, OB & LJ
Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Well, nobody else showed up, so no video footage. But I didn't drop my SV! Dabbed my foot a couple times though, when I thought I was going go down.

I did practice figure 8's. Lotsa fun. Gonna do it again.
Bummer no one showed up. You are lucky to have access to a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:25 AM   #1519
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer
 
ohgood's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: alabama
Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Well, nobody else showed up, so no video footage. But I didn't drop my SV! Dabbed my foot a couple times though, when I thought I was going go down.

I did practice figure 8's. Lotsa fun. Gonna do it again.
All it takes is one , with a big mouth, then all kinds of cool kids start dropping in.

How did you like the pattern ?
__________________
Donkeys are flying
ohgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #1520
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 5,152
The figure 8 was pretty challenging. I never got my steering to full lock, and the 8's were as sloppy as all get-out; I cut some of them way wide, and my circles weren't consistent. I need to figure out how to not feel like i'm trying to throw myself off the bike on the inside of the turn. Or just trust the bike.

I didn't do the other figure. The 8 was challenging enough.

I do feel a lot more confident at low speeds on the SV, though. Gonna do it again at some point in Nov.
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #1521
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Stratford on Avon, England
Oddometer: 211
What sort of bike is good for Moto Gymkhana?

How about a CBR1000RR Fireblade?

__________________
Dedicated to the wonderful sport of Moto Gymkhana
Motogymkhanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #1522
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Vulfy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
The figure 8 was pretty challenging. I never got my steering to full lock, and the 8's were as sloppy as all get-out; I cut some of them way wide, and my circles weren't consistent. I need to figure out how to not feel like i'm trying to throw myself off the bike on the inside of the turn. Or just trust the bike.

I didn't do the other figure. The 8 was challenging enough.

I do feel a lot more confident at low speeds on the SV, though. Gonna do it again at some point in Nov.
I know what helped me HUGELY in getting to the full lock and staying there, is SISO's GP. Here is the clip.



However I am setting up cones at 10 feet from each other, which makes it VERY tight and forces you to get to the full lock in order to negotiate it. It also helps to put a few cones as barriers at the ends, so they also force you not to run wide.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #1523
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 5,152
They have a mildly different idea of ATGATT there.

Things I noticed in that video; It doesn't look to me like he's doing much in the way of leaning - it looks like he's keeping his upper body straight up. He also doesn't look like he's shifting much in the saddle.

He sure does seem like he loves the front brake. And the clutch.
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #1524
Sckill
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Sckill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post
What sort of bike is good for Moto Gymkhana?

How about a CBR1000RR Fireblade?
This rider is achieving incredible lean angles and it's amazing to see the buildup of braking and acceleration while locked at those angles. It really shows how important it is to be smooth on the inputs to keep the bike happy and the tires in sync with the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
I know what helped me HUGELY in getting to the full lock and staying there, is SISO's GP. Here is the clip.
+1 on siso's GP. It was a lot of fun getting the bike to turn tighter and at least for me, doesn't induce dizziness like a GP8.
__________________
Current: 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere, 2007 Honda CBR600RR
Past: 2006 Honda 919, 2004 Honda 919, 2007 Honda 919, 2008 Suzuki SV650S
Sckill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #1525
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Stratford on Avon, England
Oddometer: 211
The guy demonstrating the Siso's GP is called Oleg Gorbachev and he's from the Ukraine. They do have a rather interesting take on the 'correct' riding gear during the warmer weather, but that doesn't seem to stop them being quite excellent riders.
__________________
Dedicated to the wonderful sport of Moto Gymkhana
Motogymkhanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #1526
jrou111
Stair Climber
 
jrou111's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Birmingham, AL
Oddometer: 256
Here's a video of me on my FJR1300 on Ohgood's gymkhana course last Sunday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOKY7B09254



Notice I was chasing down a DR200 :)

Once I took the side cases off, I got a lot more aggresive...





I honestly didn't expect a big bike to do so well out there. Yes, it IS more effort physically compared to a motard, but I was able to go into the 24ft diameter "circle of trust", and do full lock turns 10-20 times over and over again with out dabbing or going out of the circle. On the course at the first part of the video, I managed to scrape pegs on both sides, and ground a little off my highway pegs too!
jrou111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #1527
NMEof
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: North West England
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post
What sort of bike is good for Moto Gymkhana?

How about a CBR1000RR Fireblade?

Not a stock CBR1000RR though. The most difficult part of full-lock on a sportsbike is that the clip-ons are so low your arms hit the tank, making it harder to be precise on the throttle through right hand turns. Remove them in favour of bar risers and it becomes much easier.

I'm still using clip-ons but cheat and use my idle revs and 2nd gear to compensate for choppy throttle control as rolling off throttle still pulls the bike forward at about 10mph. Since I've only been doing gymkhana practice for less than 6 months, I'm fine with a bit of cheating. I'm even looking into making a device that will change my engine's idle speed at the push of a button.
NMEof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #1528
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Vulfy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEof View Post
Not a stock CBR1000RR though. The most difficult part of full-lock on a sportsbike is that the clip-ons are so low your arms hit the tank, making it harder to be precise on the throttle through right hand turns. Remove them in favour of bar risers and it becomes much easier.

I'm still using clip-ons but cheat and use my idle revs and 2nd gear to compensate for choppy throttle control as rolling off throttle still pulls the bike forward at about 10mph. Since I've only been doing gymkhana practice for less than 6 months, I'm fine with a bit of cheating. I'm even looking into making a device that will change my engine's idle speed at the push of a button.
Granted that raised handlebars do provide better ergonomics, and yes most of the Japanese Gymkhana riders do modify their sport bikes to have standard bars instead of clip-ons, there still really no excuse.

Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #1529
Gymkhana
n00b
 
Gymkhana's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Oddometer: 8
Hi guys, new to the site and just started Gymkhana. I've been looking for a while for a group that does it in Southern California. M-Gymkhana is putting on events and I attended my first last Saturday with my newly purchased (used) DRZ400sm. What a blast! I am starting to get used to the bike now and getting the shocks dialed in. I've gone fairly stiff on compression and half way on rebound. The compression seems to control the for/aft transitions from hard braking to hard acceleration while the rebound seems to help with wheel hop control of the rear on hard braking.
We had about 15 people at the last event, hoping to see more people come out.

http://m-gymkhana.com/

This is my first course video...again, I'm just starting so my speed is slow. I have to figure out the tight 360 turns...More rear brake?

http://youtu.be/P2Ow-OZTnu4

Gymkhana screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 01:06 PM Reason: video link
Gymkhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #1530
NMEof
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: North West England
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
Granted that raised handlebars do provide better ergonomics, and yes most of the Japanese Gymkhana riders do modify their sport bikes to have standard bars instead of clip-ons, there still really no excuse.
>
Tell that to the pro's that mod their bikes, I'm still at the stage of practising in a car park trying to get my 360 down within 13ft, the bike can allegedly to it within 12 according to the owners manual. After 6 months of weekend practice I'm still 1 foot shy of my goal and 2 from that damn limit.

Until a hotly contested championship (so Japan) has a winner on an unmodified sports bike, I'm sticking with my theory. You can do motogymkhana on any bike, however some bikes are better than others. Unmodified sports bikes, big tourers and cruisers aren't as good as nakeds and supermotos.

If you are just doing it to get better and have a laugh (which includes me) then it doesn't matter, if you seriously want to win competitions - pick the right bike with the right mods (oh and practice for years).
NMEof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014