Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #1531
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymkhana View Post
Hi guys, new to the site and just started Gymkhana. I've been looking for a while for a group that does it in Southern California. M-Gymkhana is putting on events and I attended my first last Saturday with my newly purchased (used) DRZ400sm. What a blast! I am starting to get used to the bike now and getting the shocks dialed in. I've gone fairly stiff on compression and half way on rebound. The compression seems to control the for/aft transitions from hard braking to hard acceleration while the rebound seems to help with wheel hop control of the rear on hard braking.
We had about 15 people at the last event, hoping to see more people come out.

http://m-gymkhana.com/

This is my first course video...again, I'm just starting so my speed is slow. I have to figure out the tight 360 turns...More rear brake?

http://youtu.be/P2Ow-OZTnu4
Full 360 stuff just needs practice and friends watching to point out mistakes.

180 degree turns, fast in wide, tighten up apex, then hammer out before it falls over. I haven't found a better way yet.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #1532
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
360's. Start big & get smaller. Keep looking over your shoulder. keep the throttle on, keep looking over your shoulder, keep the throttle on etc.

IMHO, that's what it feels like to me.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #1533
Steigs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripsteruser View Post
I got fascinated by trying to understand the camera system used.
Angle looks like a GoSpin.
Steigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:53 AM   #1534
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
So NMEof, the book says that you have got a turning circle of 12 feet, but you can't get better than 13 feet? The answer lies with the amount of tyre slip angle that you are generating. The book figure comes from pushing the bike slowly round in a circle and at walking pace the quantity of tyre slip angle is very small indeed. Up the pace a bit and even though the bike is banked over and should therefore describe a smaller circle the amount of tyre slip angle is enough to make the circle bigger.

The answer to the problem is to go much, much slower during the rotation turn which will reduce the amount of tyre slip angle. Top riders practically come to a halt during rotations so that slip angle is kept to the absolute minimum. Check out the rear wheel of Noboru Yoshino on the GP8 and you will see that it's turning very slowly.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #1535
Jezza
A British Invasion

Oddometer: 1,202
Finally got my KTM all Super Moto'ed up and got out for a first practice session at Floyd Bennet Field, Brooklyn.

Couldn't be more different than my Kawasaki Ninja 1000 but totally awesome. You can lay it over as far as you dare in a corner and it just laughs at you, saying "is that all you got?"

Old 11-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #1536
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
I started a new job 3 weeks ago, been doing 10 hours a day minimum, 7 days a week. Prolly gonna be another week or two before I get a day off.
I maintain my sanity in the knowledge that my excess pingas are going to turn into 17" rims & tires for the DT's spare wheels. And another trailie to put in the shed... A wee 4t for the missus so she can get her feet down in the tight stuff.

The DT has been off the road for eons & the TDM has just had a cursory fang now & again, summer has landed & to be really honest I'm looking forward to a bit of a run & a really good practice session.
Doing gymkhana really highlighted the flaws in my riding technique, the practice took me to a whole new level on the road but it's been months since I turned a wheel in anger.
Gonna get me balls out soon. Can't wait!
Keep up the good work genulmin, gymkhana is a keeper.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #1537
NMEof
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post
So NMEof, the book says that you have got a turning circle of 12 feet, but you can't get better than 13 feet? The answer lies with the amount of tyre slip angle that you are generating. The book figure comes from pushing the bike slowly round in a circle and at walking pace the quantity of tyre slip angle is very small indeed. Up the pace a bit and even though the bike is banked over and should therefore describe a smaller circle the amount of tyre slip angle is enough to make the circle bigger.

The answer to the problem is to go much, much slower during the rotation turn which will reduce the amount of tyre slip angle. Top riders practically come to a halt during rotations so that slip angle is kept to the absolute minimum. Check out the rear wheel of Noboru Yoshino on the GP8 and you will see that it's turning very slowly.
I've seen that video before but never really noticed the back wheel (just about) stopping, I'll have to make a mental note to try that next time I get a chance. I imagine I'm just going to stop mid turn and then have to put a foot down to stop me and the bike from tipping over

I'll get it mastered eventually, it might just take a number of years...
NMEof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #1538
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

This will be the biggest, bestest, FUNNEST gymkhana in the south east, possibly all of the United States. Prove me wrong, win a prize !

http://bamarides.com/ride/events/fal...lo-november-9/

This weekend.

It
Will
Rock
Old 11-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #1539
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,413
See Ya Saturday!
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #1540
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend12 View Post
See Ya Saturday!
Excellent, please come introduce yourself, I'll be on the dirty drz with cones.

This is the last bump for a safe n easy ride from Hoover to Montevallo.

:)
Old 11-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #1541
Deanman
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
My own course

I asked a local training outfit about using their nearby riding range, but never heard back. I ended up just setting up a course in my driveway.

The pic is taken from the roof of the house. In front of the garage I have a regular figure 8 with the cones 12M apart. There is a straight slalom to the "Y" of the driveway, which you can't see because of the tree branches, but there is a triangle about 20' on each side, where I have a diminishing radius 540 degree turn, followed by an offset slalom (cones are 6M apart but only 2 feet from the edge of the driveway) to the house, then another figure 8 in front of the house, with the cones 9M apart. Then I just reverse the course back to the garage. I believe it has all the usual Gymkhana course elements, and can be done in about a minute and a half, although I am not that fast yet.

I've been practicing the GP8 a bit, started out at about 48 seconds, now down to about 46. Obviously major room for improvement. It's damn fun, that's for sure. Oh, this is on a DR650 with Kenda K270s, front good, rear BALD I also have a set of 17" SM wheels with Distanzas for it, but haven't made time to try them yet. Still a few molecules of rear tire left to use up.

This is using the iPhone stopwatch in the ram mount on the bars, so I realize my timing is not very accurate. I'm looking at the $50 timer setup on ebay, but am being frugal so have not bought one yet.

The cones are from Swains General Store and were about $3 for a set of 4. I have used 22 total. I used chalk initially but rain makes it disappear quick, so after getting it the way I like it, I spray painted a little spot of blue on each cone location, so I can put the cones back in the same place every time. Wife rightly pointed out that blue spray paint would be less obnoxious than the white I was going to use.

Now I need to get some riding buddies over here and have them try it out.

I have learned a lot from this thread, and also over at the AMGRASS website. Thanks to everyone for all the great info. I think this should be required training for all riders, and I know my low speed maneuvering skills have improved since I've started practicing.

BTW, one trick I thought I would mention to save time if you want to set up impromptu courses on empty parking lots: Cut some kite string to pre-measured lengths, say, 3M, 12M, etc, and mark them or color code them, so you don't need to mess with tape measures to lay out your cones. Makes it go a little faster.

Be creative, ride deliberately, and ride often!
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:16 AM   #1542
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Yo Deanman

It's amazing what you can do in a small space, so well done to you for getting some serious cone slaying action in on your front drive.

Great idea about the string BTW as it's a really cheap and easy way of laying out the international standard courses.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #1543
Gymkhana
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Moto Gymkhana at Cal State LA this weekend

November 16th 2013
Cal State Los Angeles Parking Lot #7
Course runs start at 1:00pm
http://m-gymkhana.com/

ohgood, How did the 'bama event go?
Gymkhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #1544
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547

got 34.5 seconds today!
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #1545
Jezza
A British Invasion

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
got 34.5 seconds today!
Nice lines, slightly wide on the approach to the turn, sharply in to a tight exit