Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #1546
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,314
first, let me say some of the guys made it look like a freaking milk run

{36} {36} {36}

but you've already seen those pictures, and they're ALL GOOD.

The first big surprise of the day for me was the four circles of trust. Really didn't expect that to be as difficult as it was for riders with tens of thousands of miles. I guess there is always something to practice and learn from on these scooters. Folks were very determined to beat the silly tennis balls to pieces, and did a great job. Lots of confidence gained, and LOTS of effort put into it.

The second big surprise were both the goldwings and harleys. Man they didn't come to stand around this time, they came to DOMINATE the courses ! What a great show from all the riders, but the big bikes were really showing off. Neon, LED's, and the smell of floorboards eating asphalt was everywhere. Great job on that guys n gals. Really cool to see so many folks pushing their 900+ lb machines to the limit.

The last big surprise was how few supersports showed up. Where were you guys ??? Brandon, Steve, Kevin and Tim (The few I recognized) were all in great form. It was a real bummer for me to see the gorgeous 919 on the ground. It happens, even to the incredibly smooth and talented guys. Kudos for taking it like a champ and brushing it off like nothing. (i love 919's)

So, the video. I don't have much that isn't a nice shot of 45 minutes of sky (doh) but a few good clips of the guys dragging bags around the courses:

VimeUhOh

Cold (compared to what we usually ride) pavement and running on the tire carcass - it was still a blast.

Thanks to everyone for putting on, showing up, and RIDING at the funnerest place to kill cones in the southea... USofA ;-)
Old 11-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #1547
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Touched 32 seconds today! Was staying solid in 33-34 second range though. Very cool!
I think something is finally starting to click inside my head with this whole GP8 malarkey.

Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #1548
Jezza
A British Invasion

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
Touched 32 seconds today! Was staying solid in 33-34 second range though. Very cool!
I think something is finally starting to click inside my head with this whole GP8 malarkey.
Looking good, will see you guys at FB field at 11am tomorrow

Old 11-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #1549
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Had lots of fun. Great session!

Old 11-17-2013, 04:53 AM   #1550
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

That's the stuff man!
Old 11-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #1551
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Epic Vulfy! You slowly making your courses more technical? Looks like it.

Sincere congrats on your GP8 time, that's Tu Meke as they say down here.
You should be stoked!
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #1552
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,112
I've watched the first three episodes from an Australian reality show picking the top rider. http://theultimaterider.com.au/ The last episode I watched had an awesome Gymkhana course and makes me want to get back out there. Nice mix of fast, slow and technical.
FYI You can watch the episodes online and they one I am referring to is here
Old 11-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #1553
liquid_ice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
whahaha, after the crash they installed hand protectors
liquid_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #1554
NMEof
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Video looked like it was a fun course.

What caused the bike to drop, did the rider tell you? I played it over and over a few times but couldn't tell if the front locked or the back stepped out to the left and caused the CoG to move too far to the right and pull the bike down. It looked a bit like a shift of the back tyre but it all happens so quick I can't say for sure.

Those crash bars most likely paid for themselves right there!
NMEof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #1555
Jezza
A British Invasion

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripsteruser View Post
I got fascinated by trying to understand the camera system used.

Still not sure I do.

Shadows suggest it's on a balance beam on his helmet but how it gets rotated to the desired angles at the desired time???
Here you go I made one

Old 11-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #1556
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEof View Post
Video looked like it was a fun course.

What caused the bike to drop, did the rider tell you? I played it over and over a few times but couldn't tell if the front locked or the back stepped out to the left and caused the CoG to move too far to the right and pull the bike down. It looked a bit like a shift of the back tyre but it all happens so quick I can't say for sure.

Those crash bars most likely paid for themselves right there!
I believe it was the transfer of the weight between the turns, on really cold pavement and cold tires. Temperature dropped very rapidly as the sun set, and the bike was standing, cooling, for a while. I did not warm up tires enough, and their grip was far from optimal. I don't believe it was due to braking or acceleration. Bike slid from under me as I was transitioning between the turns and was done with the braking, and did not open throttle fully yet. I think both tires slid at the same time, as the load was equal on bot of them, but maybe front slid out first, as it would have had smallest traction patch, compared to the rear.

Drop wasn't anything to write home about, but I was lucky to have it be captured on tape. Drops and slides do happen from time to time, but we ride at pretty slow speeds (even though it feels a lot more exciting on the bike), so damage is usually minimal to the bike and the rider. A set of simple sliders is usually enough for the bike. A set of basic armor for the joints and some abrasion protection is enough for the rider to be safe. This particular drop did result in a broken tip of the brake pedal, which put an end to my timed laps after 5th turn of my first lap .

Also this really humbles me and reminds me how sudden it can happen, without much time to react. Sometimes I have my rear tires slide and its an awesome feeling to have it under control, but then there is stuff like this, where it just a millisecond and you are on the ground, despite all the practice and skill you acquired so far. Helps me keep cool-headed on the streets.

Harvey: I AM stoked about touching 32 seconds in GP8, but that is still 2 seconds too slow for regular Japanese rider, I'm not even talking about elite here. LOL.

All courses I put down happen right there on the spot. I rarely plan them out, prior to the session. I guess they do reflect my own progress though, as I am enjoying tighter and tighter turns, however I still try to balance it with faster sections and wider sweeps. Its pretty fun actually. That weekend I wasn't even planning on setting up a large course. We started out with a small one, maybe 10-15 corners. After some time, we expanded that course to twice its size, maybe even bigger, that was the final one you saw.

Every session I say to myself that I would set up a true Gymkhana course, but its just so much fun having all riders on the course at the same time, and do tail chases (for me at least).

Next season though, all timed laps will be true Gymkhana form, as we start doing points and places for a bit of friendly competition through the season.

Vulfy screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 01:31 PM
Old 12-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #1557
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Tail-chase/Warm-ups are huge fun and a lot of riders would be perfectly happy to whizz around these courses all day. Comes a time however when you just have to master those pesky rotation turns, Yin-Yangs and figure 8's that you just can't include on a tail-chase/warm-up course.

In the UK and Japan we have a tail-chase/warm-up course that is seperate from the actual gymkhana course and so we get the best of both worlds.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #1558
mitch96
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Figure 8's in the dirt?

question…

Anyone ever do gymkhana's in the dirt??
Old 12-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #1559
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Hi Mitch96. We once laid out a course on the field at the back of the office just to see how the dimensions the course had to be for a bike show suited the small (electric) bikes we were going to use. My colleague mounted his trusty TW125 and had a blast round, but as you can see the grass was very slippery!

We have had a few of our friends try out the odd course on otherwise flat, boring fields and they have reported that with decent trail/enduro tyres the Moto Gymkhana concept works very well off-road.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #1560
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch96 View Post
question…

Anyone ever do gymkhana's in the dirt??
is hard enough to get people to show up for perfectly lighted, paved, clean and clear parking lots. really it is. I have no idea I'd it's possible to get people to show up for a gp8 on dirt. e have had dirt skills days before but they always ended up being just rides.

then you have to keep in mind most folks with dirt bikes don't need as much attention, and will consider anything less than a real pro showing hen how to be.... lame