I'd puke after 3 rounds...
Old 12-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #1577
Gymkhana
n00b

Oddometer: 8
M-Gymkhana event Saturday Dec 14th

There is a Moto Gymkhana put on by M-Gymkhana Dec 14th Saturday
at Cal State Los Angeles Parking lot 7. It starts around 11:30am
Very mellow group. Friendly and easy for a beginner to come and try it.
You can do the competition or just the practice courses

Come on out!
Gymkhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #1578
Gymkhana
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymkhana View Post

Come on out!

I have a DRZ400sm and have been trying some different sprockets. I could use some advice.
It comes with a 41 rear sprocket and I switched to a 47. The 41 seemed to have trouble bogging when I didn't use the clutch on tight turns. With the 47 I don't have to use the clutch but its a bit herky jerky. Recently I put the 41 back on to do some street riding and my skill level form gymkhana has sped up my riding to the point where I no longer need to use the clutch with the 41 while attempting tight manuevers. Saturday's course has lots of tight GP8 type manuevers and as a security blanket, I went back to the 47 this morning. Has anyone had experience with adding teeth to the sporcket and is it really a must (seems to be what they do in Japan?)
Old 12-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #1579
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:

Come on out!
Hey, wanted to ask you about the parking lot. Did you get any official permit to use it, or do you just show up there? We've been trying to find a decent spot here in NYC, but it seems its a bit more uptight here in terms of security, to allow us to use the space. I'm just gathering how different people approach this, and how do they negotiate with the owner/security to be able to stay there.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #1580
Gymkhana
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
Hey, wanted to ask you about the parking lot. Did you get any official permit to use it, or do you just show up there? We've been trying to find a decent spot here in NYC, but it seems its a bit more uptight here in terms of security, to allow us to use the space. I'm just gathering how different people approach this, and how do they negotiate with the owner/security to be able to stay there.
E-mail info@M-Gymkhana.com for that info. I'm just a participant but glad someone is taking on organizing events.
I'm taking on a promotion roll for James who runs it just to make it grow....the more participants the merrier
Old 12-13-2013, 03:44 AM   #1581
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Gymkhana, in Japan they have a saying "fix rider before fixing bike", which means that until the rider is capable, modifying the bike will have little effect. Pretty well every bike on the market is capable in standard form of doing a GP8 in less than 35 seconds and it's only when riders can get down to around those times that it is worth looking at modifications to gearing, steering and suspension.

There is however a strong psychological element in making modifications that although they do not help directly, they do make a rider more confident which often leads to improved times.

The DRZ is a very popular Moto Gymkhana machine in Japan so it would be well worthwhile checking out some of the many Youtube videos of them in action to see just what can be achieved with a standard bike. Here's a Novice class rider showing what can be done without any modifications.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #1582
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Haha! In tune with the whole upgrades conversation, my Christmas came early this year!

New heavier front springs for my SV and a new 14/47 sprockets (stock 15/45)
Power wheelies here I come!

I also did the Throttle Position Sensor adjustment on my SV and I really like the throttle response now. For any SV riders out there, I would highly encourage you to do this adjustment.

Doubt any of these will make me instantly faster around GP8, but it will be fun installing all of this onto the bike.

Haven't done any Gymkhana in the cold yet, as its snowing right now (Saturday). Hopefully it will clear up for next weekend, and the pavement will be free of ice/snow.

Vulfy screwed with this post 12-14-2013 at 08:57 AM
Old 12-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #1583
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I have a DRZ400sm and have been trying some different sprockets. I could use some advice.
It comes with a 41 rear sprocket and I switched to a 47. The 41 seemed to have trouble bogging when I didn't use the clutch on tight turns. With the 47 I don't have to use the clutch but its a bit herky jerky. Recently I put the 41 back on to do some street riding and my skill level form gymkhana has sped up my riding to the point where I no longer need to use the clutch with the 41 while attempting tight manuevers. Saturday's course has lots of tight GP8 type manuevers and as a security blanket, I went back to the 47 this morning. Has anyone had experience with adding teeth to the sporcket and is it really a must (seems to be what they do in Japan?)
No, its not a must. I had DRZ400 for a little bit, and did Gymkhana on it. It was stock. You can definitely ride it without clutch around GP8 and courses on stock sprockets.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #1584
Gymkhana
n00b

Had a great time and James set up some extremely technical courses. He's planning another event in February.

Because of the holidays, we didn't get a lot of people coming out.
One of the top riders didn't show because he was sore from avoiding a freeway accident a few days earlier where a car t-boned another right as he was attempting to split lanes. He was hit with debris but didn't go down, he attributes his luck to Gymkhana skills

My gearing seems to work well with tight courses and GP8 14/47. now I'm having a bit of a carb issue coming out of the corner on GP8. I need to check my float level because it sometimes takes a split second for the throttle to respond which can really make it difficult and I almost drop the bike.

If you want to see some photos, they are posted here. I'm the one in the red suit (like Santa!)
http://motorcyclegymkhanausa.com/photos.html
Old 12-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #1585
Jezza
A British Invasion

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Nice photos, looks like you guys were having some fun. Good to see a fellow Kawasaki Ninja rider competing
Old 12-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #1586
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Nice parking lot and nice weather. :)
Old 12-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #1587
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

As well as being a fantastic sport Moto Gymkhana is a hot-bed of innovation and great thinking.

One of the riders in the Polish Championship decided to build an electric bike to compete on and the following article tells you how it was done.

http://300mpg.org/2013/12/16/julia-r...ic-motorcycle/
Old 12-23-2013, 03:48 AM   #1588
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

DISASTER! The Gymkhana thread has slipped off the first page. :(
Old 12-23-2013, 05:27 AM   #1589
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,123
Sisiphos to the rescue
Old 12-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #1590
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Sisiphos to the rescue
Who you calling a sissy? ...oh... is this thread really like a big boulder slowly rolling down the hill?