User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #1606
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Nah, we are just poking some fun
Two spaces is excellent turn radius, especially for that big bike. Technique is a bit weird though.

It wouldn't be ADV if we weren't discussing someone else's riding.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #1607
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 948
It's always fun to make fun of the froggies. They do some weird stuff, like eating horse meat for instance and running away at the first sight of an enemy and showering once a week.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #1608
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Lets get back to Gymkhana...

This is definitely one of my goals to be this confident around the cones. It helps greatly to review footage of my own rides whenever I can, to see where I'm loosing time. I know I'm loosing a lot around cones, by braking too much and not trusting and leaning enough to get around at the higher speed.

Its weird. I can get my knee down by just doing circles, but going around the cone, the perception changes greatly, and everything feels to be moving much faster. I know we had guys scraping their footpegs, going around cones this summer. Not due to bad form, but being fast through the course. I don't think I ever scraped a peg yet. At least not going around the cone.

Its a joy to see these guys though, so smooth.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #1609
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,106
Good video, they're fast all right. All I can think of is 'with clip ons!'
Old 12-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #1610
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Ten thousand hours Vulfy.
Like any real sport the top players know intuitively where the limit is & stay as close too it as possible.
You impress me immensely in your improvement, I ain't been on this thread that long but I have not improved anywhere near as much. Learned a lot but the doing is all time.
But. The big But, it's a constant pleasure every time I practice & that rewards me every time I ride a bike on the road now.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:50 AM   #1611
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
The BIG difference between an ordinary rider and a Moto Gymkhana rider is that the Moto Gymkhana rider has a different understanding of the word fast.

For the ordinary rider fast (or slow) is referenced in MPH (or KPH if you struggle under the Napoleonic measurement system) so much so that the ordinary rider even gets a Speed-O-Meter that tells them exactly how fast their sooper-dooper GSZXARKSP 1000 is going at any given time. This blinds the ordinary rider into thinking that because MPH is the only thing that is measured and displayed, MPH is the only thing that matters.

The Moto Gymkhana rider couldn't give two hoots about MPH because it's DPS or Degrees Per Second that really makes the difference between them and the ordinary rider.

DPS is the measurement we use for two of the bikes important parameters, its Roll Rate and its Rate of Heading Change i.e. how fast we can lean it and how fast we can turn it and it is in high values of DPS that give the Moto Gymkhana rider their stunning speed.

Consider this video of Misaki Miura doing some hands-off rotation turns on his GSXR. By simply measuring the amount of time it takes him to complete a 360 around the pylon we can easily determine what his rate of heading change is in DPS. He manages the rotation in about 3 seconds which if my maths serves me correctly is 120 DPS. The fastest Moto Gymkhana riders out there have a target time of 2.5 seconds for a rotation turn which equates to a stunning 144 DPS!!!!

A target roll rate will be around 60-70 DPS, but even then that's about three times what the ordinary rider will manage so when ordinary riders sneer at you and tell you that Moto Gymkhana isn't very fast, you can allow yourself a wry smile.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #1612
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

The British competition dates for 2014 have now been confirmed and if anybody fancies coming over to the UK to ride in any of the events then we would welcome you with open arms!

Events Dates For 2014
National Championship Series:

Round 1 Donington Park 10 May
Round 2 Darlington 8 June
Round 3 Donington Park 28 June
Round 4 Bexhill on Sea 27 July
Round 5 Donington Park 9 August
Round 6 Kempton Park 7 September
Round 7 Donington Park 27 September

Experience Events

Donington Park 26 April
Kempton Park 4 May
Donington Park - 31 May
Darlington 7 June

Shows

Prescott Bike Festival 6 April
Bike 1066 Spring Opener Show - 5 May
BMF Show Peterborough 16 -18 May
BMF Tail End Show 12 -14 September

There will be lots more Practice & Play and Moto-Gym events at Donington, but the dates of these have yet to be confirmed.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #1613
Oreh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Winter practice. With five panniers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2yWVVMoV00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDAqJDhtLJY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iujt27b9EKo
Oreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #1614
Jezza
A British Invasion

Oddometer: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreh View Post
Looking good Oreh
Old 01-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #1615
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,788
Quote:

Too many panniers. Didn't read.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #1616
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Oreh great videos, but I'm worried that you haven't found any other riders to play with yet! We have a great group up in the Czech Republic, so maybe it could be worth a journey to ride with them.

BTW, I like the panniers and was wondering how the bike handles with them full!!!
Old 01-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #1617
Oreh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks for suggestion for Czech Republic, but this is allmost "half a Europe" away from me. Not realy that far, but too far for hobby. Maybe one trip in the summer. Never know.

Thanks for worrying about riding friends. I think we have two types of riders here.
First one are too proud to ride between cones and they don't want to ride with me .They rather dragging their knees on roads.
Second one are riders who are scared to drop their bikes, and they think I'm too aggressive and competative rider and they don't want ride with me.
But I just want to improve my riding skills. And like someone (I think it was you) once said "the clock is the only one who shows you if your riding tehnic is improving"

Panniers. Of corse they were empty. Just wonted to get the feeling for dimensions. Handling with full paniers would drop drasticly.

Oreh screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 01:35 PM
Oreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:09 PM   #1618
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Very cool! Wish you were here with us, would love to learn from you as well.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #1619
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,106
Thumb

Quote:
Thanks for suggestion for Czech Republic, but this is allmost "half a Europe" away from me. Not realy that far, but too far for hobby. Maybe one trip in the summer. Never know.

Thanks for worrying about riding friends. I think we have two types of riders here.
First one are too proud to ride between cones and they don't want to ride with me .They rather dragging their knees on roads.
Second one are riders who are scared to drop their bikes, and they think I'm too aggressive and competative rider and they don't want ride with me.

But I just want to improve my riding skills. And like someone (I think it was you) once said "the clock is the only one who shows you if your riding tehnic is improving"

Panniers. Of corse they were empty. Just wonted to get the feeling for dimensions. Handling with full paniers would drop drasticly.
we tried and tried to get local supersport riders out for gp8's. finally, a couple of knee draggers showed up. first time, they just hung out and chatted (fine). then, we pushed a little, and asked why they didn't try it. the excuse was "i don't want to drop my bike, besides, it's not fassssst!".

then one time on a whim, they tried the stupid little cones and this came out:

"HEY THIS IS HARD! HEY THIS IS FUNNNNNNNNN!"

then, once a week, they were there. supersports, police cruisers, police beemers, dualsports, SM's, all makes and rider types. everyone wanted to RIDE those stupid cones a little faster, a little smoother. keep at it, they will come.

i watched your videos. that's impressive. lots of low dipping, lots of good control. the gravel was impressive too. what really got me was how you're doing 8's and tight turns: you're coming in hot and letting your remaining inertia carry the bike through all while tightening up the turn almost to the point of stalling... then WHOOOMP you're back on the throttle. >> i love this ! <<

the board trick was neat too. very good stuff. i wonder how much harder you would push on a smaller bike that would crash better ?

rock on
Old 01-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #1620
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
i wonder how much harder you would push on a smaller bike that would crash better ?

rock on
If'in Oreh is anything like me then far enough to have a nice little lie down
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote