Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #1696
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
More big news from our site!

http://www.moto-gym.com/competition/remote-competition/

Our "Remote Competition" section is up!!! We filmed, compiled and now uploaded our first exercise video. It has exact dimensions and a base time to beat.

Exercise is "Hitch" and its a variation on the "Circle of Trust" from Bama guys.

Come take a look, and start participating. I know I would have loved to have this, when I was alone on the field, trying to figure out what this whole Gymkhana business was all about.

As we get better with these exercises, I will be posting "Tips and tricks" as well, to get faster.

We will be posting these videos once a month, so hopefully by the end of the year we will have a healthy database of established obstacles that anyone in the world can set-up, practice and compare their improvements to other riders around the globe.

I'm also hoping this will be something you guys can use, to generate more interest locally, so it will be easier to find a buddy to ride with.

Good luck, I'm really looking forward to your submissions!!!

P.S. Subscribe to our Newsletter, so that you can get these kind of updates automatically.

http://www.moto-gym.com/newsletter-1/
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #1697
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
More big news from our site!

http://www.moto-gym.com/competition/remote-competition/

Our "Remote Competition" section is up!!! We filmed, compiled and now uploaded our first exercise video. It has exact dimensions and a base time to beat.

Exercise is "Hitch" and its a variation on the "Circle of Trust" from Bama guys.

Come take a look, and start participating....
Vulfy,

This is an awesome idea. That looks like a fun exercise too. I like the nested turns. I'll lay it out, and ride it a few times.

I have been out practicing gymkhana a few times lately. I am relatively far from the good riding roads, but I have a massive, well lit, empty parking lot within walking distance. The lot comes with 100s of cones that are free to use as long as you put them back. Sometimes the cops hang out across the lot and chat car to car. It is right next to a busy four lane road, and all the traffic can see me ride. So it seems that as long as I behave myself, I'll have no troubles riding there.

I usually just throw out a bunch of cones, and just ride laps through them until I find a good course. Once I find a good course, I start to see how fast I can ride it, and just keep lapping until I make a mistake. I stay in first gear (<30mph).

Once I make a mistake I rest for a little bit, and then lap the course in the opposite direction.

The limiting factor to my ride is the lean angle. I start grinding on the peg mounts well before the tires let go. I have found this to be an asset for learning to ride more precisely. I have to get to my maximum lean angle quickly, and the consistent feedback from touching the peg mounts helps to know precisely how far to lean.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I had had an excellent short gymkhana session a little while ago, and so I am excited about riding.

I think my favorite thing about this kind of riding is that you can push a bike hard (for my skill level) right in plain view, and no one gets upset.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #1698
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Right on Nuggets! This should be a perfect exercise for you. I like it because you can go wide outside of the circle, get into the gate, and if you are staying inside, you are gradually getting your bars to a full lock, by the time you exit. This gives you a chance to get to that lock to lock stage without panicking and it happens very smoothly. On top of that, you will be playing with the lean angle too, to get faster times. Its a very compact exercise, but we've been having a lot of fun with it here in NY.

Good luck with your Gymkhana practices, looks like you have a perfect spot for it. Hopefully you riding around the cones will get some interest from local riders.

We will be posting more of these exercises throughout the summer, so there will be plenty to play with.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:57 AM   #1699
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
Vulfy,

This is an awesome idea. That looks like a fun exercise too. I like the nested turns. I'll lay it out, and ride it a few times.

I have been out practicing gymkhana a few times lately. I am relatively far from the good riding roads, but I have a massive, well lit, empty parking lot within walking distance. The lot comes with 100s of cones that are free to use as long as you put them back. Sometimes the cops hang out across the lot and chat car to car. It is right next to a busy four lane road, and all the traffic can see me ride. So it seems that as long as I behave myself, I'll have no troubles riding there.

I usually just throw out a bunch of cones, and just ride laps through them until I find a good course. Once I find a good course, I start to see how fast I can ride it, and just keep lapping until I make a mistake. I stay in first gear (<30mph).

Once I make a mistake I rest for a little bit, and then lap the course in the opposite direction.

The limiting factor to my ride is the lean angle. I start grinding on the peg mounts well before the tires let go. I have found this to be an asset for learning to ride more precisely. I have to get to my maximum lean angle quickly, and the consistent feedback from touching the peg mounts helps to know precisely how far to lean.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I had had an excellent short gymkhana session a little while ago, and so I am excited about riding.

I think my favorite thing about this kind of riding is that you can push a bike hard (for my skill level) right in plain view, and no one gets upset.
this is exactly the kind of attitude in posts I like to read.

the cups get some cool down time entertainment too, which is a big plus for them i would bet.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #1700
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

hey guys, the login is broken for that forum.

it doesn't allow for a user to enter their user name or email, but only gives a dialogue box for 'password'.

i was hoping to upload a competitive video today.

can you look into it ?

edit: never mind, it finally worked.

i will say this, the integration between the website (blog?) and the forum is horrible. login at the bottom of the page, that redirects to -almost- the forum, with a login in between ? yuck !

whatever, going to kill some kones this afternoon if i can remember ht hitch pattern

ohgood screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 11:07 AM
ohgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #1701
Jezza
A British Invasion

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
...... the integration between the website (blog?) and the forum is horrible.
Hi ohgood, not sure where you mean? from the www.moto-gym.com website forum page (shown below) I click the button that says "Message Board" and it takes me straight to the front page of the forum.

Jezza screwed with this post 03-14-2014 at 11:54 PM
Jezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #1702
obsidian16825
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
I'm still sporting a fashionable "screw in JBweld epoxy", brake lever tip that I fastened after that fall.
Try these if that fails.
http://www.mcinnovators.com/lever-saver/
obsidian16825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #1703
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
hey guys, the login is broken for that forum.

it doesn't allow for a user to enter their user name or email, but only gives a dialogue box for 'password'.

i was hoping to upload a competitive video today.

can you look into it ?

edit: never mind, it finally worked.

i will say this, the integration between the website (blog?) and the forum is horrible. login at the bottom of the page, that redirects to -almost- the forum, with a login in between ? yuck !

whatever, going to kill some kones this afternoon if i can remember ht hitch pattern
hmm... I'll look into that. However if you want to upload the video for the Remote competition it shouldn't be done through the message board, as I'm not sure how many megabytes it gives you, for your files. You probably want to up it to YouTube or any other video sharing site, and then just use our form to send us the link to that video, your name and time.

http://www.moto-gym.com/competition/remote-submission/

This way we can link your video with your posted time, so others can view it.

Definitely let us know if something else is not working or not streamline enough. Meanwhile I'll look into the messageboard registration.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #1704
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
hmm... I'll look into that. However if you want to upload the video for the Remote competition it shouldn't be done through the message board, as I'm not sure how many megabytes it gives you, for your files. You probably want to up it to YouTube or any other video sharing site, and then just use our form to send us the link to that video, your name and time.

http://www.moto-gym.com/competition/remote-submission/

This way we can link your video with your posted time, so others can view it.

Definitely let us know if something else is not working or not streamline enough. Meanwhile I'll look into the messageboard registration.
it's fine, as usual, just user error. i'm uploading a practice of the 'hitch' now. thanks :)
Old 03-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #1705
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

the hitch is a good course, i just need to learn how to count ! here's what FIVE laps looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMeWwNiZQAc
Old 03-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #1706
Gymkhana
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Remote competition

Nice site Vulfy!

We have an M Gymkhana event Saturday at Cal State Los Angeles,
If we get done early we will setup the "hitch" and get a few times.
Love the idea of the remote competition
Gymkhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:22 AM   #1707
Jezza
A British Invasion

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
the hitch is a good course, i just need to learn how to count ! here's what FIVE laps looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMeWwNiZQAc
Good run shame about the extra lap, looks like it could have been about a 48 second run.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:44 AM   #1708
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
Good run shame about the extra lap, looks like it could have been about a 48 second run.
i'll try it again today. tomorrow is MONTEVALLO MELTDOWN (gymkhana) in montevallo alabama. there will be food (shhh, don't tell!) and not one but TWO parking lots full of kones to kill !

admission is free, but donations accepted, of course.

the weather will be perfect.

here's a map of where it will take place on
9559 Shelby Street
Montevallo Alabama

http://www.google.com/maps/place/901...106b1ddf6ce4b6

there will also be a 'top gun' course assembled by the local MSF instructors, with a timed competition for anyone willing to give it a go.

here's their flyer:

and our local thread:
http://bamarides.com/ride/events/mar...khana-3-15-14/

i'm leading a mellow ride from The Grove Shopping Center (hoover) at 8am (sharp!) down to Montevallo on some very nice back roads. Everyone is welcome.

We expect everything from trikes and goldwings to stupermotardians and two smoke dirtbikes.

C'mon advrider, bring your ass to kone killin !
Old 03-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #1709
YamahaRN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
i'll try it again today. tomorrow is MONTEVALLO MELTDOWN (gymkhana) in montevallo alabama. there will be food (shhh, don't tell!) and not one but TWO parking lots full of kones to kill !

admission is free, but donations accepted, of course.

the weather will be perfect.

here's a map of where it will take place on
9559 Shelby Street
Montevallo Alabama

http://www.google.com/maps/place/901...106b1ddf6ce4b6

there will also be a 'top gun' course assembled by the local MSF instructors, with a timed competition for anyone willing to give it a go.

here's their flyer:

and our local thread:
http://bamarides.com/ride/events/mar...khana-3-15-14/

i'm leading a mellow ride from The Grove Shopping Center (hoover) at 8am (sharp!) down to Montevallo on some very nice back roads. Everyone is welcome.

We expect everything from trikes and goldwings to stupermotardians and two smoke dirtbikes.

C'mon advrider, bring your ass to kone killin !

How was the process of recruiting MSF instructors? Sounds like a good way for us in NYC to get some help organizing.
YamahaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #1710
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaRN View Post
How was the process of recruiting MSF instructors? Sounds like a good way for us in NYC to get some help organizing.
I wasn't involved, but some very good folks were. I can put you in touch with both parties if you like, but that should be done privately/email, OK?