Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #1786
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,195
nuggets just made it into my memorable quotes. :

:)

also, not sure what I'm doing wrong this year, but I can't get more than two or three folks to show up to a Thursday night gp8. even the online forum stuff is a ghost town as far as participation and interest.

I've tried coaxing, catering to cruisers, even offering to let one person star in the video.... zero interest.

what do y'all think? too overbearing? too involved ? too many Thursdays in a month ?

sooooo, I got really quiet about mentioning it on local forums. I'm still killing cones, just quietly.

ohgood screwed with this post 06-18-2014 at 08:40 AM
ohgood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:33 AM   #1787
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,492
not that i have much free time anymore, but i often thought of starting a gymkhana club in south west sydney as i cant find one here at all
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #1788
Oreh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Noticed increased wear of my bike because of practicing Gymkhana and I'm trying to compare how many kilometers of standard road riding is equivalent to 1 km of gymkhana.
When I ride gymkhana the fan operates continuously, before that I never noticed fan turned on, the brakes are often overheated, suspension is loaded or released to the extremes. Frame, forks and chain are constantly under tension, tyres and brake pads lasts shorter ....
And I'm starting to hear some suspicious noises from everywhere; from frame, swingarm and suspension, fairing and engine ...
Overall the bike is much more worn out since i ride gymkhana.
I think the average wear of bike in 1 km gymkhana is the same as 50 km road riding. Of course this is not the reason to stop practicing.
What do you think guys, is the wear of bike in gymkhana much bigger vs. roads?
Oreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #1789
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreh View Post
Noticed increased wear of my bike because of practicing Gymkhana and I'm trying to compare how many kilometers of standard road riding is equivalent to 1 km of gymkhana.
When I ride gymkhana the fan operates continuously, before that I never noticed fan turned on, the brakes are often overheated, suspension is loaded or released to the extremes. Frame, forks and chain are constantly under tension, tyres and brake pads lasts shorter ....
And I'm starting to hear some suspicious noises from everywhere; from frame, swingarm and suspension, fairing and engine ...
Overall the bike is much more worn out since i ride gymkhana.
I think the average wear of bike in 1 km gymkhana is the same as 50 km road riding. Of course this is not the reason to stop practicing.
What do you think guys, is the wear of bike in gymkhana much bigger vs. roads?
brakes, tires clutch... are all consumables so I don't care. but you are correct.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #1790
Jezza
A British Invasion

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
brakes, tires clutch... are all consumables .....

As of today add to that list, bar guards, Axel crash protection and foot-pegs, Oh yeah add elbow guards, and a fair bit of skin off my shoulder and elbow

Thankfully it was during practice and I was OK to do my timed runs. There was a camera in the area, so maybe some YouTube to follow
Old 06-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #1791
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,122
Can add some more, ups and downs alike

-Fuel consumption tripled
-Keeps you warm in winter, slims in summer
-Uniform usage of tire rubber
-

You're out on a bike: who's complaining anyway?

Old 06-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #1792
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
nuggets just made it into my memorable quotes. :

:)

also, not sure what I'm doing wrong this year, but I can't get more than two or three folks to show up to a Thursday night gp8. even the online forum stuff is a ghost town as far as participation and interest.

I've tried coaxing, catering to cruisers, even offering to let one person star in the video.... zero interest.

what do y'all think? too overbearing? too involved ? too many Thursdays in a month ?

sooooo, I got really quiet about mentioning it on local forums. I'm still killing cones, just quietly.
Where are ya at? I miss the cones and want to visit them again
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #1793
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
As of today add to that list, bar guards, Axel crash protection and foot-pegs, Oh yeah add elbow guards, and a fair bit of skin off my shoulder and elbow

Thankfully it was during practice and I was OK to do my timed runs. There was a camera in the area, so maybe some YouTube to follow

Here is Jezza's tumble:

I followed suit, but much less dramatically:

Great day overall though. Not a lot of people showed up but it was a very relaxed session because of that.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #1794
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,492
That grass cant be fun for traction when you hit it

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:39 AM   #1795
YamahaRN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Wicked Name for lot in NJ

I say we should dub it "The Jungle" http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/naughty.gif
YamahaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:18 AM   #1796
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
I've been waiting for a photo with somebody pillioning backwards, holding a weed sprayer, whilst being chauffeured round the course.

Summit else I found with MotoGymkhana, it really ups the time spent doing maintenance on the bike. I'm a lot more particular now. The bikes are always well fettled.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #1797
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, don't even start me on the bike maintenance. Gymkhana really takes a toll on the bike.

I've been changing brake fluid on the rear brake every month or so. Tires (at least the front) last only one summer. And I've been going through rear brake pads, like through candy. I posted this in our FB group.

These lasted only eight hours of practice. Organic pads with carbon and kevlar.

Not to mention all the dings and scrapes on the bike from dropping and sliding it.

It definitely brought me closer to my SV though. Outside of electrics and deep engine work, I pretty much know every nook and cranny, and feel a lot more confident wrenching it.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:12 AM   #1798
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Yes, your bike will tend to wear out a bit faster, simply because you are using more of it! Most (non gymkhana) riders will only use about 20-30% of their bikes capability so they are only going to wear their consumables out at 20-30% of their design life. We Gymkhana riders are using much, much more of the bikes capability than a mere 30% so our wear rates are going to be a bit higher than normal as a result.

When you come to think of it a few bucks spent on brake pads and tyres is a small price to pay for extracting all that hidden value tied up in your bike. If you spend $10,000 on a bike and only use 30% of it then you are not exploiting six and a bit grand's worth of value! You can buy an awful lot of tyres and brake pads for that amount of money, so look at the catastrophic wear rates as a really good investment!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:05 AM   #1799
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Start practicing without using any brakes. If you are using up rear brakes that quick you are way too heavy on the brakes, which means you are also overtaxing your clutch. All set up obstacles can be run with zero brakes.........it can be done, and no brake runs will make you smoother....and smooth = fast. Once you can run them with no brakes you will find that on runs with brakes you will barely touch them and you times will come was down.
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #1800
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Start practicing without using any brakes. If you are using up rear brakes that quick you are way too heavy on the brakes, which means you are also overtaxing your clutch. All set up obstacles can be run with zero brakes.........it can be done, and no brake runs will make you smoother....and smooth = fast. Once you can run them with no brakes you will find that on runs with brakes you will barely touch them and you times will come was down.
I'll believe this when someone can post a video of them running GP8 in 30 seconds, without any brakes.

However I do agree that I am a bit heavy on the rear, and its something I'm working on.