My brakes are getting low at 16000
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #1802
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
I'll believe this when someone can post a video of them running GP8 in 30 seconds, without any brakes.

However I do agree that I am a bit heavy on the rear, and its something I'm working on.
No no, I guess I was not clear(my bad)......PRACTICE no rear brake, but yes always use brake in competition. Try this on for some thought....for every braking force you must now overcome that with throttle/acceleration. So too much brake and you have lost time that cannot be re-gained...it's gone. So while on the quest for "just enough brake", riding a lot of no brake in practice will get a few more pieces of that "perfect ride" puzzle.

There should also be no brake competitions, you can do them for fun when at a gathering, or even time them & have a 1st/2nd/3rd place.
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #1803
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
No no, I guess I was not clear(my bad)......PRACTICE no rear brake, but yes always use brake in competition. Try this on for some thought....for every braking force you must now overcome that with throttle/acceleration. So too much brake and you have lost time that cannot be re-gained...it's gone. So while on the quest for "just enough brake", riding a lot of no brake in practice will get a few more pieces of that "perfect ride" puzzle.

There should also be no brake competitions, you can do them for fun when at a gathering, or even time them & have a 1st/2nd/3rd place.
Gotcha, yeah that makes sense. Rear brake gives me a lot of confidence in the really tight stuff, which is usually what I practice on my own, constant lock to lock turns. In the competition there is a lot more of the more open and wider turns, but when I'm by myself, I usually set up just a GP8 or a Grapevine, and just run that until I'm noxious.

I actually did try practicing tight turns without any brakes, but could not get anywhere near the lean angle and lock to lock, the way I get to it with the use of the rear brake. I honestly don't know if its just my errors of riding, or if its actually impossible to do a lock to lock turn without any brakes.

But yes, I'm definitely running too hot on the rear and its been one of my struggles since the day one of discovering what Gymkhana was. I'm concentrating a lot more on it this season and I think I'm getting better, even with those pads only lasting eight hours for me. In my defense though, those were pretty hard eight hours on the bike and the pads. It wasn't cruising, but constant lock to lock trying to get faster times in GP8 and Grapevine.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:58 PM   #1804
braol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
nuggets just made it into my memorable quotes. :

:)

also, not sure what I'm doing wrong this year, but I can't get more than two or three folks to show up to a Thursday night gp8. even the online forum stuff is a ghost town as far as participation and interest.

I've tried coaxing, catering to cruisers, even offering to let one person star in the video.... zero interest.

what do y'all think? too overbearing? too involved ? too many Thursdays in a month ?

sooooo, I got really quiet about mentioning it on local forums. I'm still killing cones, just quietly.
If you ever do any on the weekends let me know and I will ride down.
braol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:37 AM   #1805
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
I honestly don't know if its just my errors of riding, or if its actually impossible to do a lock to lock turn without any brakes.
Absolutly 100% possible and done all the time. When you stop using the brake, you must re-train your balance/counter balance technique. Timing and throttle has to be perfect since the only "braking force" you now have is turning. Turning slows you down, so you will learn better balance and just enough throttle to stand the bike up and set up for the next turn. Too much throttle and you blow the turn. Exercises with long straight runs in them(like elongated figure 8's) are not good candidates to practice no brake. Smaller tighter more technical patterns are best.
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #1806
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by braol View Post
If you ever do any on the weekends let me know and I will ride down.
thanks, I'll do that:
Old 06-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #1807
braol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Where at in Bama do you do this? and what time usually?
braol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #1808
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by braol View Post
Where at in Bama do you do this? and what time usually?
last year we did it every Thursday night from around 7pm to 9, then grab done food and talk about technique etc.

unfortunately interest tapered off in the fall and never picked up again this spring, so now it's only when someone bugs me to go setup cones. :-)

there is a large open parking lot at the east end of The Grove Shopping Center in Hoover Alabama.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:56 AM   #1809
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
There is a top rider in Japan who's party trick is to do rotation turns without use of the brakes. He has an amazing ability to slow the bike to exactly the right speed, bank angle and steering angle for the rotation so he can happily release the brakes whilst he whizzes round. It's probably taken him about 25 years of practice to be able to do that so for the rest of us I would suggest continuing to use the brakes!
Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #1810
liquid_ice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
It has been a while since I reported myself in here, but we had the 4th Dutch Gymkhana competition day in Leleystad.

A good friend Dave from England came over and so did a group with 3 riders from France. The usual Belgian delegation was also present.

The competition was really exiting, most people (6 or 8 from the 18) had a time within 10 seconds from each other. In the end, Kristian won this race, he's now in the lead of the competition.

We also have new flyers
liquid_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #1811
liquid_ice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Is is really quiet over here...

To bad guys

But in the mean time, a

Moto Gymkhana European Championship 2015

has been announced and we are still looking for riders from different countries, even if there is not yet a competition in your country.

check out: http://www.motogymkhana.eu

please help us also to promote this event via all means possible.
other forums and sites that might be interested...

It wqould be super cool to have also non EU people over, anyone wanna come to Europe?
liquid_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #1812
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Its quiet coz we are all riding

Very cool with the international competition. I'd love to come, but can not promise anything as of yet. Duncan posted about your competition on our FB group, so you guys should get a pretty good exposure from our end.

I'll post more, when I'm down to the damned 30 seconds on the GP8, until then its nose to the cones.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #1813
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

We have a new obstacle posted for our Remote Competition, "Helix".
Come check it out! Should be a fun and fast exercise to compete in. Only two laps, but lets hear your tires squeal! Base time to beat currently is 00:33 seconds.

http://www.moto-gym.com/competition/remote-competition/

Also for our local people (NY/NJ area). We are having our August competition session this Saturday, 16th. Check out the "Calendar" section on our site, or join our Facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/motogymkhananyc/

Should be a lot of fun as the weather is cooling down a bit but the pavement is still nice and grippy!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #1814
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Aaaaaaand my personal contribution to the "Helix" at 32 seconds.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #1815
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Our August competition, first two places.

http://youtu.be/Dc8tYzG9qHc

http://youtu.be/pjDFbR1T8M8