Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
Amazon.com Slip Angle Racing Lap Timer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
2 beacons.
Cheers Gents.

Awsome stuff Dredman
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #213
Tirespin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
how do you run the events with the timers? If I understand right, the timer would need to be mounted on each bike, in order to get a reading for that bike?

When I ski Nascar, I don't have to mess with that, I just go.... can the timers do that?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #214
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
amgrass guys have a different timer. Theirs I believe is just set at a starting point, and once you cross the beam it starts counting and then stops once you cross it again.

That one that me and Elessar are talking about, has to be set up on a bike. Beacons are set at the start/end of the box, but the timer can be moved from one bike to another, as its being held by simple velcro patches that you tape on you your bike. It will probably be secure enough with a suction cup, if you don't want to attach a small velcro patch anywhere on your bike's body work.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #215
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Oddometer: 460
Ohhh, big problem for me then. I assumed that this was like any other timer that you simply set up both compenents on the ground and as you rode through the beam between the two units, the timer started and progressed until the signal was interupted the second time.

Well, it looks like I'll need a second beacon as well. Have you figured out if you can mount the beacons together, like on the front fender of rear luggage rack, asa single unit that could be quickly transferred between multiple riders/bikes?

I just ordered three more beacons so that one bike can be on the course while a second bike can be setting up in a staging area. Thanks for making me check this out. I'da shown up to practice and never figured this set up out and there were very poor instructions in the package.

Thanx!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
rjf: haha, yeah, we are hitting over 35 here in NY.

Elessar: yup, that is the one that I got. I got it from their website though, not amazon. Their reps were super nice and attentive. they have a few versions, and the website is a bit clunky in explanation of the differences. Ended up getting v3 with 10 second delay, and 2 beacons. Tested them out, everything works absolutely great. I have the sensor mounted on the right side, looking to the side. Beacons are great, they have a really nice vertical spread of the signal. I mount them on my small cones (about 8 inches tall) and the sensor picks it up, no problem, even though that its much higher on the bike. Love this timer so far. The price is great for what you get.

Did u get second beacon as well? If you are starting and finishing from the same box, then you would need two beacons. You start out with one beacon on one side of the bike, but when you come back, you bike is turned the other way, so you need a second beacon on the other side of the bike, to stop the timer. that was the primary reason why I bought the timer through their website and not amazon, I just couldn't find second beacon by itself, they were all packaged with the timer. The website sells them separate, if you need extra.
LIMNCS #51

Bill_Z screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 10:12 AM
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #216
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Just checking in... Managed to spend an hour doing figure 8's with my G/F yesterday on the DT. Our first ride in a month or so. How embarrassing, it was like learning to ride all over again. Took a good 10 minutes to get in the groove, all the old habits came back, too stiff, not turning the head, snatchy on the throttle etc. Thought I was going to drop it a couple of times.
Came right in the end but it was a teeth gritting experience. Lets hope for some better weather so we can get back on track.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #217
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

I carry tennis balls with me when I have my backpack but I must admit that I haven't been practicing as much as I want to...lot's of reasons that are basically excuses. I just need to make time. Good on you for getting out and working on it.
LIMNCS #51
Old 08-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #218
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Z View Post
I carry tennis balls with me when I have my backpack but I must admit that I haven't been practicing as much as I want to...lot's of reasons that are basically excuses. I just need to make time. Good on you for getting out and working on it.
Both our bikes have luggage of sorts, the half tennis balls are permanent fixtures on board. It's good to be able to stop somewhere & whip your balls out for a bit of practice whenever you want.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #219
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
It's good to be able to stop somewhere & whip your balls out

Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #220
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
Both our bikes have luggage of sorts, the half tennis balls are permanent fixtures on board. It's good to be able to stop somewhere & whip your balls out for a bit of practice whenever you want.
Hummm...yah, ummm...I have no words...
LIMNCS #51
Old 08-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #221
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Oddometer: 163
Thumb

I have to say "thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!" to everyone who has so graciously shared ideas, tips, etc. in this thread. I've been taking a few minutes after work to play around in the empty parking lot before heading home, riding figure eights, three-sixties, u-turns, etc., and I can already tell a big difference in my riding. One of the things I've been trying to do is start in my parking spot with handle bars in a full lock, accelerating in a turn until I am pointed out of the lot (a 270 degree turn). I'm still not quite there, but I'm getting close. I'm also going to pick up some tennis balls to keep in my saddle bags, as was mentioned above, LOL, so I can try setting up a course or two.

Pushing my skills, such as they are :) , in this way is arguably the most fun I've had on my bike since I learned to ride!
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #222
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
I have to say "thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!" to everyone who has so graciously shared ideas, tips, etc. in this thread. I've been taking a few minutes after work to play around in the empty parking lot before heading home, riding figure eights, three-sixties, u-turns, etc., and I can already tell a big difference in my riding. One of the things I've been trying to do is start in my parking spot with handle bars in a full lock, accelerating in a turn until I am pointed out of the lot (a 270 degree turn). I'm still not quite there, but I'm getting close. I'm also going to pick up some tennis balls to keep in my saddle bags, as was mentioned above, LOL, so I can try setting up a course or two.

Pushing my skills, such as they are :) , in this way is arguably the most fun I've had on my bike since I learned to ride!
+2 on that. I've found the concentration & technique required has had a big positive effect on all the riding I do. All 30 minutes of it lately......
I hope you get as much pleasure whipping your balls out when the opportunity arises as I do.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #223
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Talking

I picked up a couple of packs of tennis balls on my way home, and tried drawing out a couple of possible courses. Here is a link to a YouTube video of some gymkhana practice I got tonight...

...on the living room floor...

...and my wife didn't even mind! (Get your mind out of the gutter! The link above is SFW, I promise!)

Okay, okay...the (invisible) rider lost points for hitting a couple of cones, and he wasn't even following the route very well

In all seriousness, I did run through the courses with the "bikes", and the dry runs showed me a couple of flaws with my designs, which I have modified accordingly. With any luck, I'll be able to get some video of me trying it out for real on the Wee-Strom after work :)
Old 08-17-2012, 03:22 AM   #224
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
I picked up a couple of packs of tennis balls on my way home, and tried drawing out a couple of possible courses. Here is a link to a YouTube video of some gymkhana practice I got tonight...

...on the living room floor...

...and my wife didn't even mind!
As well she shouldn't, your not playing with a toy, your conducting a pre mission/game/race rehersal and visualization session
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #225
TheWall
0 miles and counting

As promised: Tonight's practice session (for real this time ). I'm slow, and I got a bit sloppy on the throttle and clutch a couple of times so I had to drop my foot to keep upright, but not terrible for a first attempt, I thought. The tennis ball "cones" were spaced twelve feet apart, except for the two at the top of the "T," which were 18 feet apart.

Constructive criticism, comments, suggestions, etc. most definitely wanted! Thanks!

--Mike