Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 05:07 AM   #1036
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
Is that a kid at 1:18 mark, or somebody on a pocket bike? Thats awesome!
On the moto G vid? I noticed that too. Gotta be cheating!

To answer your question Vulfy, trials bikes are off the shelf. Very light, very torquey, very grippy (4psi in the rear tire) and exceedingly agile. For us mere mortals a 20 year old bike is more than adequate to start on & also allows you to sit when your legs give out after 20 minutes. Brilliant fun, all you need is a bit of a lump somewhere.
You need similar bike control to gymkhana too. Very complementary.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #1037
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,499
Quote:
What constitutes a "trial" bike? Is it built specifically as a trial bike from a ground up, or is it a conversion, like SuperMoto is a conversion of a dirt bike?
Usually no seats are the most obvious

send on a small touch screen by a guy with fat fingers
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #1038
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Yeah I noticed no seat, those guys must be rocking thighs of steel. Thats basically pogosticking on a wheel. Dunno if its for me right now though. Maybe in the future.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #1039
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

... and today's session.

Three people total today, we are growing, yey!
Great group! Great time!
Here is the video. Still learning logistics of setting up course for more than one person, lol. Wish the guys would have filmed me running between the cones trying to figure out the set-up. LOL

Old 04-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #1040
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,499
Quote:
Yeah I noticed no seat, those guys must be rocking thighs of steel. Thats basically pogosticking on a wheel. Dunno if its for me right now though. Maybe in the future.
Ive been looking to buy one. But. Unsure where to really ride one. Where as a road registeted trail bike i can ride anywhere legally

send on a small touch screen by a guy with fat fingers
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:09 AM   #1041
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Hey Vulfy, great to see that the you are finding a few more practice buddies. Pretty soon three will become six and six will be come twelve and before you know it you will have fifty riders desperate to do some timed attacks.

If you want to design a course that allows for more than one rider on at a time, then you should think in terms of a big circle. You can then distribute your obstacles around the circumference of the circle which then avoids riders coming into conflict with each other. It's all to easy for riders to crash into each other especially if they are concentrating on the course rather than whats happening about them.

On another note, the Trials Bike and trials riding in general is a very good way of finding the balance of the bike. Of course the bike remains pretty well upright during trials, whereas we are banked over, but there are a lot of similarities and many benefits from each to each.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:21 AM   #1042
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Our friends in Viet Nam are getting rather good at the various Moto Gymkhana competitions. Here we see them putting in some very good times in the GP8 challenge.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:38 AM   #1043
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,521
went to a skills day this weekend. "jack of aces" was the riding club (RC) that put it on to raise money for charity.

typical pirates, typical harleys ?

no, not at all. looked like it from the outside, but this was a very well organised event. about 50 riders showed up, and no one bipassed the course.

1 there was a figure 8, which focused on hugging the inside of the 8, instead of timing/speed. smooth was the goal.

2 off set, gated slalom. very well thought out, it forced the rider to keep speed down in order to make each gate. I burned my scooters clutch on this one. FUN

3 intersection- a stop (or more advanced, feet up 'pause') at the T of two paths, then that sections coach would motion left or right, and there you went. dropped my scooter here, spilled coolant, 5 guys were on it before I could pick it up (THANKS!)
much more difficult than expected, and burned more clutch there 5-10 times to get it right. this would be a very good add on to a gk course, imo.

4 iron cross- a large cross, the rider was to hug the inside of the cones, making tight left and right (right angle) turns without bumping one.

5 long slalom (higher speed) to demonstrate pushing (countersteer) the bars

a local mounted policeman and the riding clubs president were the main demonstrators and presenters. this was a very well organized event, very focused on safety, and very excited crowd to try new things. they even paid to do so, entry was $20, but I gave $30 since it benefitted a person.

again, these were guys and gals on clean, shiny harleys with candy paint, lots of chrome, and biker vests. not one of them complained or looked twice after dropping their bikes. and at least half of them dropped one, while trying to push a little farther or go a little slower/smoother. very impressive.

really just wanted to see how an outsider (scooter rider) would be accepted at an event were no one knows you. getting the FNG perspective is pretty cool, to see what we need to do to improve our own skills days, gymkhanas, etc

only cell phone pics and videos, so ill post a couple.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #1044
Sckill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
... and today's session.

Three people total today, we are growing, yey!
Great group! Great time!
Here is the video. Still learning logistics of setting up course for more than one person, lol. Wish the guys would have filmed me running between the cones trying to figure out the set-up. LOL

Thanks for organizing and posting up the video. I feel bad for Boris - his fancy KTM sounds like a RC toy car . We should have gotten video of you "flying" around setting up the course complete with RC airplane noises.

I'd say the biggest takeaway from the session for me was to look where you want to go. Also, it was great to explore the limits of the bike. From the video, it definitely shows I can tighten a lot of my turns. I hit full lock on the handlebars only a couple of times and it was a bit unnerving at first, but I can definitely get it leaned over more and pick up more speed getting used to that feeling.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #1045
liquid_ice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Last Saturday, I've been to the gymkhana experience day in Donington, together with the most of the dutch crew.

It was a nicely hosted event on a VERY big place with clean and high quality pavement.

We have taken home multiple good idea's to use in our events, like a beginners/faster course and a tighter one.Tail chasing to help beginners. Some additions to our safety briefing for beginners.

This sunday in Amsterdam, we will explore a few of these ideas in our very first ladies-only gymkhana day.

Besides peeking and taking at the experience day, we also had a go in the timed GP8 and the course.

My GP8 (personal record) was a 37,8 seconds and one of our others succeeded in a 37.9. Not bad if I may say so my self.

All of us had a blast and a lovely time in the UK and we would love to see them or other gymkhanists soon again.

liquid_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #1046
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Well its great to see that the season is finally starting to thaw out for some of you guys.

Liquid_ice: I somewhat envy you, being so close to the UK crew. I guess I'll have to travel to Alabama sooner or later to get a bit more experience from the guys who have been setting these things up for some time now.

Sckill: heh, you just wait, I'm thinking of bringing a tiny skateboard to the course this weekend, so that I'm not running around setting it up. This we are definitely filming, with Benny Hill music in the background. Haha

ohgood: LOL fun before chrome...

Motogymkhanaman: Yes, setting up the course is a bit of a challenge. I try to set it up in a safest way possible, so that we are never intersecting each other, or getting too close. Of course there is always room for improvement. I'll try what you are saying, plus I started charting the courses in a notepad, and I think it will help greatly, instead of trying to come up with something right out of my head, on the spot.

Plus I've been following F1 this season, and that Chinese circuit could be one juicy Gymkhana course. Especially those turns 1 through 4
Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #1047
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Not really gymkhana related but this is definitely the place to post the question.

Understanding that turning radius is a function of steering angle and lean angle. Also understanding that lateral acceleration is directly proportional to the angle created between the CoG of the bike+rider system and gravity. How is it that at low speeds we can counterlean, and tighten turning radius, while at the same time knowing that we didn't move the CoG further out from the contact patches since all we are doing is counterleaning.

Does the fact we have the steering angle turned so sharply mean that the angle between the CoG and gravity does not tell the whole story on turning radius? I can't figure this one out.

Second:

I find that I can turn at full lock on one of my bikes with a nice steep lean angle around 7mph. However in doing so I am slowly falling to the earth over a period of about 2 seconds. I can right this by giving throttle, but the throttle is a bit twitchy and I am not so precise when doing something like a scary u-turn that might dump me on the ground.
I can ALSO right this by putting my foot on the ground and pushing the bike up a bit, maintaining full lock, giving me another ~2 seconds or so of that nice tight turning radius. Is putting my foot down a valid technique for maintaining that tight turning radius, or should I strive to keep the steering just slightly off the stops, so that I have a bit of play with which to balance the bike, but with a slightly wider turning radius than full lock provides?
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #1048
liquid_ice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Learn to control your twitchy throttle ;)

I am facing the same twitchy throttle problem, but I found a solution. Maybe it helps you.

I hope I can explain it.

Most bikes have some weights at the outside of the steer, next to the throttle. These weights are fixed and cannot turn.

What I do is lay my pinky finger over this fixed part, so with the force of my pink I can create a sort of throttle smoother or even a lock.

If you don't have this on the outside, maybe you can use your indexfinger on the inside to do the same?

@ Vulfy, I would love to travel to Alabama, haha ;)
liquid_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #1049
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Throttle control by balancing between throttle at constant revs and brake/clutch.
Basically keep the revs up a bit, don't close the throttle fully, so you don't get that jerk when going from fully closed to barely open throttle.
And then control the speed and fall rate balancing your throttle against your brake and/or clutch.

So revs are staying up a bit, but you are slowing with the brake/clutch, as soon as you feel you are falling over, release the brake/clutch a little bit, to let more power to the wheel, which will pick up the bike just enough to fall over.

Well thats at least the theory... haha.

Watch this video if you haven't yet, he talks about that. Also look at how he manages to control his bike at 1:15 mark.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #1050
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

I keep referring back to this video, but I think it clearly illustrates the point that the entire action of turning a motorcycle around the pylon is done by balancing throttle against the brake.

He has constant steering angle, as well as constant revs, and he is balancing the entire system with the rear brake. I have a simple plastic, stick on cruise control thingie, I'll try bringing it next weekend, so we can see if we can do anything similar. What I'm learning this season, is basically let the bike do all the work.

Edit: Of course I might be just talking out of my ass Figuring this stuff out myself. hehe

Vulfy screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 09:14 AM