ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #1321
stoke
ocean minded
 
stoke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, SB & LJ
Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooby View Post
There's gotta be someplace around here..
jeepbandit and shooby:

we would have to do some urban combat riding to explore and verify, but I have seen some pretty vast parking lots, unused down in the industrial areas.

national city shipyards, some parts of chula vista by the bay, etc. seems like in the heavy industry areas you would have the greatest chance of being left alone after hours.

qualcomm stadium has a huge parking lot, but I'm sure it's got security. I'd have to check it out. there are also many large and underused parking lots that go with the huge amount of city parks in san diego, Quivira Basin has a bunch that are not used very much. most people don't even know that that's there. just north of there, and east of the model yacht pond is another pretty big parking lot that isn't used much. I tried to insert google maps links here, but apparently I was doing it wrong and just a huge link would show up.

I'd really like to get some gymkhana going here in SD.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #1322
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher
 
jeepinbanditrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: MCAS MIRAMAR
Oddometer: 1,079
Seems like we could link up with the local auto cross guys to find out what lots they use.


Sent from my iPhone
__________________
2004 Suzuki DL650 Weestrom
1978 GS 1000
"Those who would trade security for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
jeepinbanditrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #1323
Shooby
Anti-Cager
 
Shooby's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 562
Recon ride is in order... And a club name... "Sons of Anti-Anarchy" ?
Shooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #1324
stoke
ocean minded
 
stoke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, SB & LJ
Oddometer: 476
a buddy of mine from work is super into autocross, I'll ask him. that's a really good suggestion. they use the del mar fairgrounds parking lot from time to time, I watched the last competition there. tore the shit out of the lot with all the drifting. that place might be an option as well.

if you guys want to practice some dirt skills you CAN ride off road at the torrey pines gliderport and fiesta island. between both locations, you can do sand, berms, hardpack, ruts, loose dirt, you name it. nice because it's really easy to get to.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #1325
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher
 
jeepinbanditrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: MCAS MIRAMAR
Oddometer: 1,079
Can you provide a google maps link to that off road section you were talking about? I would love to do that. Any day off road is a good day. I'm also down for a SD Gymkhana Recon ride. I know were going to be linking up in October for the Gold Point rally ride anyway might as well meet before hand.
__________________
2004 Suzuki DL650 Weestrom
1978 GS 1000
"Those who would trade security for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
jeepinbanditrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #1326
stoke
ocean minded
 
stoke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, SB & LJ
Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
Can you provide a google maps link to that off road section you were talking about? I would love to do that. Any day off road is a good day. I'm also down for a SD Gymkhana Recon ride. I know were going to be linking up in October for the Gold Point rally ride anyway might as well meet before hand.
agreed. that kind of urban riding is fun anyway, nobody does it really. you can see parts of the city's underbelly you could/never would see from a car.

here's the gliderport, fun area to mess around in and practice skills, not as much area as fiesta island but not as used by the public either:

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...5!4f13.1&fid=7

here's fiesta island. people ride horses, off road trucks, bikes, all kinds of stuff out here:

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...5!4f13.1&fid=7

I wouldn't mind doing both in the same day. I haven't ridden off road at fiesta island, so definitely want to check it out.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #1327
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher
 
jeepinbanditrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: MCAS MIRAMAR
Oddometer: 1,079
Both those places are around 9 miles away.


Sent from my iPhone
__________________
2004 Suzuki DL650 Weestrom
1978 GS 1000
"Those who would trade security for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
jeepinbanditrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #1328
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Stratford on Avon, England
Oddometer: 204
Hi Vulfy. For what it's worth it very much sounds like the problem is with the master cylinder and not the calipers. Might be worth sourcing a new one from ebay and see if that fixes the problems.

For you guys out in California the Moto Gymkhana group in LA has now got use of a parking lot at the
Califonia State University of Los Angeles.


__________________
Dedicated to the wonderful sport of Moto Gymkhana
Motogymkhanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #1329
Vulfy OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Vulfy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 499
Our latest session.



Vulfy screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 11:05 AM
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #1330
stoke
ocean minded
 
stoke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, SB & LJ
Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post
Hi Vulfy. For what it's worth it very much sounds like the problem is with the master cylinder and not the calipers. Might be worth sourcing a new one from ebay and see if that fixes the problems.

For you guys out in California the Moto Gymkhana group in LA has now got use of a parking lot at the
Califonia State University of Los Angeles.



I go up to LA a lot on the bike. Might be worth a trip, I just need to track these guys down.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #1331
Vulfy OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Vulfy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 499


Session this Saturday, 08.10.13
For people who attended before, same place, 9am.
Otherwise pm me for more details, or join our Facebook group to get event schedule, photos, videos and chatter.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/motogymkhananyc/
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #1332
Vulfy OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Vulfy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 499
So I rebuilt my front master cylinder, and that made it worse. I think I'll have to re-bleed brakes a few times as it feels I still have air in the system.

I can pump lever to make it somewhat firm, but after a few laps, its pinching my fingers again.

As I took the master cylinder apart, I inspected everything including the inside of the MC housing. Everything seemed in good order, no rips, no scratches, inside its nice, smooth and polished. All holes are free and not clogged up, and there was no gunk anywhere. So it wasn't MC's fault in the first place.

I'm really getting frustrated with this whole brake issue. I finally learned how to properly use front brake, and having this dangerously mushy front lever detracts from me practicing at full potential.

I'm stubbornly refusing to switch to a different MC and calipers, as I want to keep this bike stock for now. So my next step is to add a banjo bolt with a bleeder to master cylinder, so I can bleed air directly out of MC.

After that, the only step left, is to upgrade to better lines.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #1333
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer
 
ohgood's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: alabama
Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
So I rebuilt my front master cylinder, and that made it worse. I think I'll have to re-bleed brakes a few times as it feels I still have air in the system.

I can pump lever to make it somewhat firm, but after a few laps, its pinching my fingers again.

As I took the master cylinder apart, I inspected everything including the inside of the MC housing. Everything seemed in good order, no rips, no scratches, inside its nice, smooth and polished. All holes are free and not clogged up, and there was no gunk anywhere. So it wasn't MC's fault in the first place.

I'm really getting frustrated with this whole brake issue. I finally learned how to properly use front brake, and having this dangerously mushy front lever detracts from me practicing at full potential.

I'm stubbornly refusing to switch to a different MC and calipers, as I want to keep this bike stock for now. So my next step is to add a banjo bolt with a bleeder to master cylinder, so I can bleed air directly out of MC.

After that, the only step left, is to upgrade to better lines.
man i hate that. have you tried pulling the calipers off, putting them up on a table higher than the MC, and then bleeding them ? if you get the last bleeder the highest, it helps sometimes.

good luck, i'm really digging your rainy route66 video, and the honda hawk.
__________________
Donkeys are flying
ohgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #1334
Vulfy OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Vulfy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
man i hate that. have you tried pulling the calipers off, putting them up on a table higher than the MC, and then bleeding them ? if you get the last bleeder the highest, it helps sometimes.

good luck, i'm really digging your rainy route66 video, and the honda hawk.

Thats actually a pretty good idea, to take calipers off completely and raise above MC. I'll try that.

Thank you for kind words about video :) Yup that Hawk is a very pretty bike, tiny too.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #1335
Sckill
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Sckill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
So I rebuilt my front master cylinder, and that made it worse. I think I'll have to re-bleed brakes a few times as it feels I still have air in the system.

I can pump lever to make it somewhat firm, but after a few laps, its pinching my fingers again.

As I took the master cylinder apart, I inspected everything including the inside of the MC housing. Everything seemed in good order, no rips, no scratches, inside its nice, smooth and polished. All holes are free and not clogged up, and there was no gunk anywhere. So it wasn't MC's fault in the first place.

I'm really getting frustrated with this whole brake issue. I finally learned how to properly use front brake, and having this dangerously mushy front lever detracts from me practicing at full potential.

I'm stubbornly refusing to switch to a different MC and calipers, as I want to keep this bike stock for now. So my next step is to add a banjo bolt with a bleeder to master cylinder, so I can bleed air directly out of MC.

After that, the only step left, is to upgrade to better lines.
Silly question, but when you say the lever is firm, are the brakes working? It just seems really weird that you would have working brakes and then suddenly you lose brake pressure. It's a closed system and once you have firm brakes, I feel like it should stay that way. Are you sure there are no leaks in the system? If you pump the lever a few times, does it firm up again and you have good brakes again?
__________________
Current: 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere, 2007 Honda CBR600RR
Past: 2006 Honda 919, 2004 Honda 919, 2007 Honda 919, 2008 Suzuki SV650S
Sckill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014