ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #121
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas
 
IndyChizzle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN by Kessler and Michigan Rd.
Oddometer: 618
Jumping in with both feet...

I've noticed that gun guys tend to like bikes too. Since I'm pretty involved in the shooting sports, I decided to call on my local shooting community to see if we could pull off something like this in Indy. Here's what I posted:

http://ingunowners.com/forums/break_..._gymkhana.html

With any luck, maybe we can get enough folks to make this happen!
__________________
Donate HERE to register for May 17th Charity Ride in Indy; Raise Money for Kids at Peyton Manning Children's Hospital
2013 Tiger 800 XC, 2009 DR650 SUPERMOTO, 1972 CB450 (In pieces), 2007 919 (SOLD), 2008 Speed Triple (SOLD), 2008 690 SMC (SOLD), 2006 F650GS Dakar (SOLD)
Register to be an organ donor at www.DonateLife.net . It only takes about 3 minutes!
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #122
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas
 
IndyChizzle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN by Kessler and Michigan Rd.
Oddometer: 618
Indianapolis Chapter?

Looks like we've got some interest in Indy (5 friends already interested), if we can just figure out where to practice. How have other locations dealt with the insurance issue? If somebody is nice enough to let us practice in their parking lot, I'm not sure how to let them know that they're not going to get sued if somebody drops their bike, or gets hurt.
__________________
Donate HERE to register for May 17th Charity Ride in Indy; Raise Money for Kids at Peyton Manning Children's Hospital
2013 Tiger 800 XC, 2009 DR650 SUPERMOTO, 1972 CB450 (In pieces), 2007 919 (SOLD), 2008 Speed Triple (SOLD), 2008 690 SMC (SOLD), 2006 F650GS Dakar (SOLD)
Register to be an organ donor at www.DonateLife.net . It only takes about 3 minutes!
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #123
dredman
Dirt Disciple
 
dredman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Hoover Al
Oddometer: 107
Insurance is very expensive. We simply make every rider sign a release, that should lower the expectations that anyone should "protect" you from harm.

The wording:

Please Read And Sign The Following Riders Release:
-I understand motorcycling is an inherently dangerous activity
-I understand riding a motorcycle in an obstacle course has increased dangers, and I am willing to accept
those risks.
-I understand that no person, other than myself, can or will be responsible for my safety, or the safe
operation of my vehicle.
-I understand there is a danger that I may drop or crash my bike, and I may be injured on the course, and
I accept full and total responsibility for my injury, and any injury I may cause to other persons or property
while riding the course.
I certify that I am 18 years of age or older. I understand that AMGRASS, the facility property owners, and anyone
associated with this event cannot assume responsibility for any aspect of my safety and that if I participate or attend any
AMGRASS event, I do so voluntarily, on my own assessment of my ability, the routes, and all facilities and conditions,
Assuming all risk. I release and hold harmless AMGRASS, the property owners, and any and all person involved in this
event for any injury and/or loss to my Person or Property which may result there from. Absolutely no Medical or
Ambulance Transport coverage are provided, I accept full responsibility for these.
dredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #124
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas
 
IndyChizzle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN by Kessler and Michigan Rd.
Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post
Insurance is very expensive. We simply make every rider sign a release, that should lower the expectations that anyone should "protect" you from harm.

The wording:

Please Read And Sign The Following Riders Release:
-I understand motorcycling is an inherently dangerous activity
-I understand riding a motorcycle in an obstacle course has increased dangers, and I am willing to accept
those risks.
-I understand that no person, other than myself, can or will be responsible for my safety, or the safe
operation of my vehicle.
-I understand there is a danger that I may drop or crash my bike, and I may be injured on the course, and
I accept full and total responsibility for my injury, and any injury I may cause to other persons or property
while riding the course.
I certify that I am 18 years of age or older. I understand that AMGRASS, the facility property owners, and anyone
associated with this event cannot assume responsibility for any aspect of my safety and that if I participate or attend any
AMGRASS event, I do so voluntarily, on my own assessment of my ability, the routes, and all facilities and conditions,
Assuming all risk. I release and hold harmless AMGRASS, the property owners, and any and all person involved in this
event for any injury and/or loss to my Person or Property which may result there from. Absolutely no Medical or
Ambulance Transport coverage are provided, I accept full responsibility for these.
If you have insurance, what is the ballpark cost of insurance and where do you get it? The whole thing hinges on whether or not we can get insurance.
__________________
Donate HERE to register for May 17th Charity Ride in Indy; Raise Money for Kids at Peyton Manning Children's Hospital
2013 Tiger 800 XC, 2009 DR650 SUPERMOTO, 1972 CB450 (In pieces), 2007 919 (SOLD), 2008 Speed Triple (SOLD), 2008 690 SMC (SOLD), 2006 F650GS Dakar (SOLD)
Register to be an organ donor at www.DonateLife.net . It only takes about 3 minutes!
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #125
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas
 
IndyChizzle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN by Kessler and Michigan Rd.
Oddometer: 618
I rode by the Indy Speedrome today and it looks like a possibility in Indy:

www.Speedrome.com

One of my friends suggested it. Looks like a possible fit, but I would be concerned about oil and antifreeze on the asphalt.
__________________
Donate HERE to register for May 17th Charity Ride in Indy; Raise Money for Kids at Peyton Manning Children's Hospital
2013 Tiger 800 XC, 2009 DR650 SUPERMOTO, 1972 CB450 (In pieces), 2007 919 (SOLD), 2008 Speed Triple (SOLD), 2008 690 SMC (SOLD), 2006 F650GS Dakar (SOLD)
Register to be an organ donor at www.DonateLife.net . It only takes about 3 minutes!
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #126
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Shaky Isles
Oddometer: 814
Anybody had problems running off the front tire? We had a tutu this weekend, the Chancellor & I, All first gear, slow stuff, figure 8's, 360's & 540's in a road 20ft wide. Both bikes are free of chicken strips on the front but still have big ones on the back. I guess this is due to leaning on full lock. I have good video, unedited as yet & the bikes look nowhere near running out of rubber, unlike how it feels.
I set up a faster course yesterday, a bit more lean with the same result. We have dual purpose tires on the bikes so I guess it could be a lack of profile & tread creep too.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #127
Vulfy OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Vulfy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 495
Hmm... Thinking about it, you should be running out of rubber in extreme leans on the rear tire first, rather than front, at full lock.

Rear can only be leaned, since it doesn't have the vertical twist like front does. When you are leaning rear tire, and twisting front tire into a full lock, the front tire is facing INTO the turn. So technically you are putting less lean on the front tire, compared to the back.

Lets say you could twist front tire 90 degrees compared to the rear. Then technically you could set the bike completely on its side, where the rear tire would be parallel to the ground, while front tire being twisted 90 degrees to it, would still be fully in contact with pavement on the center of its tread.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #128
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Shaky Isles
Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
Hmm... Thinking about it, you should be running out of rubber in extreme leans on the rear tire first, rather than front, at full lock.

Rear can only be leaned, since it doesn't have the vertical twist like front does. When you are leaning rear tire, and twisting front tire into a full lock, the front tire is facing INTO the turn. So technically you are putting less lean on the front tire, compared to the back.

Lets say you could twist front tire 90 degrees compared to the rear. Then technically you could set the bike completely on its side, where the rear tire would be parallel to the ground, while front tire being twisted 90 degrees to it, would still be fully in contact with pavement on the center of its tread.

Here ya go. Meself & the missus at play. No sniggering at the back.
Speaking of which. I look very rigid, eh?


And a different view.

Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #129
Vulfy OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Vulfy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 495
I can't comment on the tire selection as I never done this on this type of a tire, but people have been riding on knobbies and enduro tires pretty successfully.

video courtessy of amgrass.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=O1JLGzDUh4w

Look at that KTM go in the beginning of the clip! Every time I watch this video, it makes my day seeing that beast move like that. Respect !

My personal advice from watching your videos is to be smoother with the throttle. You really don't need to be constantly on/ off the gas, smooth and even throttle will keep the bike stable. Constant power to the rear will keep the bike from falling over, even in the tightest of turns. I personally run any type of Gymkhana course without any clutch slipping / friction zone. If your bike stalls or jerks at low rpms and you can not keep a steady throttle, use some friction zone to smooth it. Lots of rear brake, to control the speed and tighten the turns. Stay away from the front brake for now.

Steer with your knees. Try to relax arms as much as possible and in the turn, dig your outer knee into the tank and push your inner foot into the peg. Feel the motion of the bike as it leans over, and feel how the bars behave and let them do their thing.

Maybe a good thing would be to find a bit more room, and just run some lazy figure eights. Just getting the bike into the turn without any brakes or clutch going. Do it slow enough to be comfortable with it and not tense up, just relax and turn turn turn. Gradually try to tighten up the turns while either maintaining same speed or even slowing down a bit. As long as you are relaxed you can feel what bike is doing under you.

Good practice, keep at it!

Vulfy screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 07:41 PM
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #130
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Shaky Isles
Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
I can't comment on the tire selection as I never done this on this type of a tire, but people have been riding on knobbies and enduro tires pretty successfully.

video courtessy of amgrass.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=O1JLGzDUh4w

Look at that KTM go in the beginning of the clip! Every time I watch this video, it makes my day seeing that beast move like that. Respect !

Good practice, keep at it!
LOL That was Sunday, our first real go, so, on Monday I made the course quite a bit bigger... on a bigger road.
It's bloody frustrating knowing what to do but struggling to make it click. My runs yesterday were lovely & smooth in comparison, better revs & it was easier to balance the bike with just the throttle & back brake. I still reach for the front, though.
My g/f is going mad for this, 2 months ago she could not turn in that width of road, 4 months ago she could not pull away.
A bit more mucking about & then I will measure out one of the courses posted here.
Thanks for the advice!!
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #131
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas
 
IndyChizzle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN by Kessler and Michigan Rd.
Oddometer: 618
Well, I've got 7 people committed to try this out in Indy if we can just find a place to practice. We've got a few leads, but nothing has panned out yet:

http://ingunowners.com/forums/break_..._gymkhana.html

I might have to create a similar poll here on AdvRider.
__________________
Donate HERE to register for May 17th Charity Ride in Indy; Raise Money for Kids at Peyton Manning Children's Hospital
2013 Tiger 800 XC, 2009 DR650 SUPERMOTO, 1972 CB450 (In pieces), 2007 919 (SOLD), 2008 Speed Triple (SOLD), 2008 690 SMC (SOLD), 2006 F650GS Dakar (SOLD)
Register to be an organ donor at www.DonateLife.net . It only takes about 3 minutes!
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #132
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...
 
Bill_Z's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Crab Orchard, KY
Oddometer: 460
A place to practice

I contacted the Police Department in a town where we wanted to practice and was directed to the County Judge Executive that administers to the lot that we want to use, directly in front of the police department, and have received permission to ride on their property.

I felt that this was amazing and intend to honor their trust in our group. This is the first time practicing in this area and my first time with official permission to ride. Before this, I practiced alone in a school lot near my home. I believe this location is also in view of the county court house but I haven't been on site, yet. I used Google maps to pick the location because it's an hour ride for me to get there, and more than an hour for two of the participants joining me.

We're riding in Bardstown, KY, in Nelson County. I have been practicing alone and have two people, women, that have expressed interest in joining in, so I'm meeting them half way between each of us. Anyone interested in join us is welcome. We will be riding at 11:00 am EST on Sunday, June 10th, at 212 Plaza Dr., Bardstown, KY 40004. Just look for the cones!
__________________
"The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the road has gone and I must follow if I can." J.R.R. Tolkien
DL650AL1
LIMNCS #51

Bill_Z screwed with this post 06-07-2012 at 07:09 AM
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #133
Vulfy OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Vulfy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 495
Nice! Good job.
Film your session and share with us. Would love to see how you guys are doing.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #134
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Lawrenceburg, Ky
Oddometer: 233
Hey Elessar. I hope to be back on a bike again before long and when that time comes I will be joining you occasionally. I am in Lawrenceburg.
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #135
liquid_ice
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 115
The bike exams in The Netherlands have a bike-control part and because bike exams are different in every country, I thought to share these basic bike-control exercises from the dutch exams.

(Already translated to english ;) )
http://translate.google.nl/translate...-verrichtingen
liquid_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014