Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #1351
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 706
I really want to start doing this in San Diego.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #1352
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
That was fun today! Glad you guys enjoyed the course.

Photos courtesy of Eddie. I downloaded a few and upped them to my flicker account for easier sharing here.
For the entire album, you can go here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2148986&type=1

No video this week, as my camera is busted. :( Although a few guys had their goPros so maybe not all is lost.

You guys are seriously fast!

Vulfy screwed with this post 08-10-2013 at 04:37 PM
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #1353
Jezza
A British Invasion

Oddometer: 1,220
Great day today guys
Old 08-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #1354
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Old 08-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #1355
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Yup yup, pro at work. Our goal and inspiration.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #1356
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
I'm liking that camera perspective, you can see what he is doing with his hands. One finger on the front brake, clutch not covered at all. On a 2t....
Throttle & rear brake.
Great photos Vulfy, some commitment going on there.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #1357
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Welcome edge2edge glad you like the thread.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #1358
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,535
there's a discusion going on over @ amgrass about insurance and stuff.

I've never had my license checked, insurance verified, or had -any- request for a display of rudimentary skills at any group ride, from any group/club/forum.

gymkhana folks do this, have waivers, etc, but still there is so much hand wringing about insruance and lawyers.

why ?
Old 08-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #1359
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
there's a discusion going on over @ amgrass about insurance and stuff.

I've never had my license checked, insurance verified, or had -any- request for a display of rudimentary skills at any group ride, from any group/club/forum.

gymkhana folks do this, have waivers, etc, but still there is so much hand wringing about insruance and lawyers.

why ?
Because it is an "Event" held on "private property".
Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #1360
Jezza
A British Invasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
So I rebuilt my front master cylinder, and that made it worse. I think I'll have to re-bleed brakes a few times as it feels I still have air in the system.

I can pump lever to make it somewhat firm, but after a few laps, its pinching my fingers again.
Hi Vulfy, I know you're trying to keep your bike standard, but these guys have a range of SRV brake solutions might be worth asking them?
www.svracingparts.com/products....
Old 08-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #1361
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Yes, I've made my decision that I would need to change calipers and master cylinder. Ebay has them pretty cheap from used bikes. I'm looking at a CBR600rr.

This weekend it was much better, at least I didn't loose pressure in the front, but by the end of the day, my lever was still pinching my fingers on the throttle.
If its just air, then I have no idea how to get rid of it, since I've tried every possible way of bleeding brakes, regular way, inverted with a syringe, mytivac, and already installed a bleeder valve at the master cylinder to vent any bubbles that might travel up there.

However I'm really happy that I'm using so much of front brake on the course. Just a month ago, I wouldn't even dream of braking so hard in a tight corner like we have, at the lean angle we have.

My initial reaction to Total Control class that I took, was a let down. However now I'm realizing that thanks to them, I'm so much more confident in front brake and trail braking in the turns.

I'm also noticing that I'm throttling up between tight corners, instead of coasting on same RPMs as I used to.

Confidence in the front brake, really gives me this ability to speed up to a corner, and brake really late into it, rather than have everything segmented like I used to before. I used to brake before the corner, and then initiate the turn, and only after the turn was completed would get on the throttle. Now it all overlaps and overlaps quite a lot. Its pretty awesome!
Old 08-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #1362
Jezza
A British Invasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
Confidence in the front brake, really gives me this ability to speed up to a corner, and brake really late into it, rather than have everything segmented like I used to before. I used to brake before the corner, and then initiate the turn, and only after the turn was completed would get on the throttle. Now it all overlaps and overlaps quite a lot. Its pretty awesome!
Same as me, while riding into a corner that requires a rapid reduction of speed, I use aprox 80% front brake together with a little rear, braking so hard I can feel a real, but progressive dip in the front suspension as I am banking, never snatching at the brakes, I would guess I take 2-3 seconds to get to the required brake squeeze.

I ease off the brakes to the apex, then at the same time as I counter-steer to lift the bike to the new direction, I am opening the throttle, hitting my max required throttle just before I get upright, which on the Kawa 1000 should fire me quickly towards the next cone.

The key is to do it smoothly and not upset the balance of the bike too much.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #1363
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
Same as me, while riding into a corner that requires a rapid reduction of speed, I use aprox 80% front brake together with a little rear, braking so hard I can feel a real, but progressive dip in the front suspension as I am banking, never snatching at the brakes, I would guess I take 2-3 seconds to get to the required brake squeeze.

I ease off the brakes to the apex, then at the same time as I counter-steer to lift the bike to the new direction, I am opening the throttle, hitting my max required throttle just before I get upright, which on the Kawa 1000 should fire me quickly towards the next cone.

This is fastest rider on our course, so take notes.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #1364
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Wise words from Jezza!

Of course, it's not possible to counter-steer the bike if the steering is at full-lock so we have to use the throttle and brake combination to steer the bike instead.

To see this technique in action check out Sakuta-san as he negotiates a rotation turn.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #1365
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post

you're done with (front) braking and on the throttle again by apex, right ? assuming we can call it a real apex in a 180 degree turn etc

I'm getting a lot harder on the front than in the past, very close to lock up prior to turning, then light rear and tapering off the front as I push the bike down and it falls over, with a little bit of rear braking even after starting to get heavy into the throttle. the hardest part I'm finding is getting completely off the rear (habit) brake during the heavy acceleration sections of short stuff like gp8.