Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #16
olec
Rookie

Oddometer: 273
Get a late RFS engine! I've had two of them (525 and 400) and they're close to bulletproof. Up here many guys are still using them for gravel machines and it's amazing how many hours / kilometers they have on them. 200+ hours w/o replacing the piston is not abnormal. Just keep an eye on the valves now and then, change the oil and filters regularly with good brand, and you're good to go. Lot's of aftermarket parts and even several rally parts for this bike if that is your interest (like many variations of gastanks etc).

If you do road duty, to connect the fun parts, get the 525. It can do those paved sections and even highway duty much easier than the smaller ones. If your main interst is a light woods bike that can survive some roads, get the 400 (or 450). The 400 is a smaller bore long stroke, and basically the same engine as the bigger ones. If your woods time is just for fun and not so 'serious', get the 525. The extra gyro isn't a big deal if you can take a break now and then. For racing, you'll notice the less gyro on the 400 and you can hold on to race pace for longer periods.

I had two friends with WRF's. They're good bikes, but both of them got some problems with the transmission after like 50-60 hours. Had to replace some bent 'things' in there. Else than that, I know they were happy with them.

PS: If you find a Beta bike (not the very latest years), they licensed using the RFS engine in that bike. Then you can get some kind of newer bike with the same bulletproof engine in it.
olec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #17
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
Been there, tried that. XR650L is too heavy and big for real trails, I dont care what anyone says. I can get it up some nasty stuff, but man is it tiring

That said, the XR400 makes a greattrail and DS bike if you dont mind kicking it
agreed. BTDT on a DRZ400s myself.

it's *a lot* of work on tight, technical trails. just too heavy. i can get it to go pretty much whereever, but it really tires me out compared to riding a lighter bike.

the DRZ is a great trail bike for more open, laid back, less technical trails, though. and it is an awesome dual sport bike. but tight technical stuff is much more fun on a lighter bike.

i have a buddy who has an XR600R he dual sported. he's tried it on some technical stuff. it's also too heavy to be as much fun on those types of trails as some of his other bikes, so it pretty much just sees commuter duty.

i have another buddy with an XR400. that is a pretty decent trail bike even on the technical stuff. still heavier than ideal, but not bad at all.

if you are planning to ride technical stuff at all, my recommendation is to stay away from anything heavier than an XR400. (something like a KTM 450 exc would be really good for a dual sport bike you want to take on tight, technical trails.)
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #18
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,149
this is the most reliable bike EVER

its called a HONSUZYAMKTMATI, I like how that sounds

I threw in the ducati to end it nicely

sorry for the lame joke
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #19
Riccardo1989 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
thanks for all your answers, as i'm reading, it seems that Ktm "wins" on the others...the only problem is that here in Italy for a MY 2004 i pay 2500 euro, while with same amount of money i can find others brands of MY 2007-2008, like husaberg for example, but maybe this one is less reliable...
Riccardo1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:44 AM   #20
Riccardo1989 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
hi guys,
i got a WR-F 450 MY 2005! I love it, i just would like to know which final ratio you use, 'cos my 13-50 is very short!
Bye
Riccardo1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #21
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rider View Post
The Yamaha. Dead reliable and no valve bull shit.
Yep,if you look at what privateers run in the Dakar,the 450 Yamaha is very popular,they hope to do the race on one engine,and some do.
I have a 530KTM due to the road plate and it is a kick in the ass,smooth and fast,Its a 2011 and Im hoping it holds up well.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #22
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
agreed. BTDT on a DRZ400s myself.

it's *a lot* of work on tight, technical trails. just too heavy. i can get it to go pretty much whereever, but it really tires me out compared to riding a lighter bike.

the DRZ is a great trail bike for more open, laid back, less technical trails, though. and it is an awesome dual sport bike. but tight technical stuff is much more fun on a lighter bike.

i have a buddy who has an XR600R he dual sported. he's tried it on some technical stuff. it's also too heavy to be as much fun on those types of trails as some of his other bikes, so it pretty much just sees commuter duty.

i have another buddy with an XR400. that is a pretty decent trail bike even on the technical stuff. still heavier than ideal, but not bad at all.

if you are planning to ride technical stuff at all, my recommendation is to stay away from anything heavier than an XR400. (something like a KTM 450 exc would be really good for a dual sport bike you want to take on tight, technical trails.)
Ive wrestled a 400DRZe for 3 years on all kinds of ugly trails,finally gave in and went orange.
I can hit a dead end single track on the 530 and get it turned around and out of there with out much trouble.
The DRZe was just enough heavier to be a bitch.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #23
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer: 1,621
My only experience between some of these is this:
Every KTM owned by friends has left them stranded at our local riding spot. 2 of them needed to be towed out and 2 of them took so much energy to get started that the riders could barely enjoy their day.

My buddies BRAND NEW WR450 will only start in neutral with the choke (cold start) out. He took it to Yamaha and after 2 weeks they have NO CLUE what to do with it.

Every Honda in our group has been rock solid. My CRF450x starter went bad but thats the only issue I have had. I love this bike as much as any man can love a bike. Check out the guys at JCR Honda, they are pretty much winning everything out there on an X. And Id be willing to put a little wager that Honda wins Dakar in 2013 with their new X.
*Warning:Riding with me may result in you starring in your own crash video.
Sales and Marketing Manager at Cycle World V.B.
DAAANG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #24
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAANG View Post
My only experience between some of these is this:
Every KTM owned by friends has left them stranded at our local riding spot. 2 of them needed to be towed out and 2 of them took so much energy to get started that the riders could barely enjoy their day.

My buddies BRAND NEW WR450 will only start in neutral with the choke (cold start) out. He took it to Yamaha and after 2 weeks they have NO CLUE what to do with it.

Every Honda in our group has been rock solid. My CRF450x starter went bad but thats the only issue I have had. I love this bike as much as any man can love a bike. Check out the guys at JCR Honda, they are pretty much winning everything out there on an X. And Id be willing to put a little wager that Honda wins Dakar in 2013 with their new X.

Bias much?

Honda has not produced a good enduro bike in decades. Their paper trannies are equally as bad as the terrible frames and riding compartments.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #25
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,515
I had 2 RFS bikes, I'd pick my 09 530 over either any day for performance and longevity/build quality. I LOVED my 520 and 525, tuff as nails too but the 530 is really just a further refinment of them. Less rough edges, smoother version of a pretty smooth engine already.

My valves have yet to move and the bike has been doing everything from trails to street sumoto to MX. I just upgraded the oil pump gears to the new parts out of precattion but the bike hasn't needed anything since jetting it except fluids and personal stuff, suspension, protection, etc.

I expect 2-3 years more from the top end though I may BB it just because.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #26
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,680
i'll be testing this, as i just picked up a 450exc and plan to do lots of dualsport and camping off the bike. i just sold my wr250r to get this exc. while the wr was a supremely capable bike, i wanted to try something "more dirty", and also think it's going to replace my 200xc-w for true dirt.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #27
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

New EXC 450?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #28
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

nope, 07 rfs 50 state legal baybeeeeeee!

now, to sell off my 2hunny to finance some BLING!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #29
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Lo miles? If still near stock grab a JD jet kit and try a few settings to suit your taste in delivery. Best babg for the buck with a FCR carbed bike, esp street legal ones!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #30
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

already has jd jetting. i haven't opened it up yet to see how it's jetted, but it feels really good.

excited!