User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Bombardier1965 OP
Ice_Man

Oddometer: 28
Which slip on for a BMW R1200GS?

Have been looking at dumping the standard exhaust for a lighter, better sounding after market performance pipe. There are a few brands that looks like it could do the trick - putting a few extra kw's of power to the beemer is a bonus but I really want a great sounding machine so that I can be heard in traffic - I ride to work every day and the sooner some drivers can hear me the better. Any suggestions?
Bombardier1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,723
sound-for-safety

http://www.remus.eu/motorrad/

I thought this was interesting;

http://www.remus.eu/sound-for-safety/

Talk about the marketing guys spinning a percieved negative, into a potential sales/PR offensive!

Remus are a leading manufacturer here in Europe of aftermarket exhaust systems for both cars and bikes... they do a lot of nice stuff for Beemers, Ducatis amongst other stuff. I would say that for recognised brands, them or Acropovic are two names which make nice bling/slip ons for the GS 1200.

FWIW (my 2 cents on the noise thing)... given that you yourself mention it in your post; that it is the (percieved) safety aspect of the exhaust note, that the new slip on will generate - as your primary reason for purchase.

I read/hear about a lot of people that subscribe to the mantra that "loud pipes save lives". And while I will concede that a slightly raspy exhaust* note, probably does heighten pedestrians (or wildlife**) awareness of one's approach (just as the Remus sound-for-safety link above referred to)... However, I am still out with the jury to be honest, on just how much difference this makes as far as car drivers (in a city traffic situation) and their awareness of a motorcyclists proximity.

In city traffic, a good number of car motorists (if not the majority) often sitting there, windows up, air-conditioning on (possibly even the radio/CD player blaring?) and by and large pretty much insulated (oblivious? ) to the sounds of the world exterior to their vehicle. That is assuming that their not talking on the mobile, texting someone, drinking a coffee, doing their mascara or any one of a thousand other things that motorists get up to while negotiating the suburban byways and highways.

Now admittedly, there is no real science behind my theory... it is based soley on my own personal "in car" experiences, and my (albeit not huge amount of motorcycle commuting in city traffic experience***), but to my understanding a motorcycle that is approaching a motor vehicle (be it from behind or from ahead), has it's exhaust (and the noise emitted from it) pointing AWAY from the vehicle you hope that your "high output" exhaust system note is going to alert them of... your presence... to... at... before you hit them... kind'a thing.

Certainly my own "in car" experience of the various "race can" equipped street bikes and throaty/belowing heavy metal cruisers etc. that pass me when in city/commuter traffic, is that I first only really "hear" them... when they draw up alongside or in fact pass... and that spine tingling; "hhhhraaar...raaaaar... hhhhrAAAAAARRRRR......" as they dissappear into the distance.

Now remember... we're talking about a bloke here (me) who rides, is aware and concerned about riders welfare, their place in the world, both on the road, off the road, out of the etc. Not just "joe schmoe cager" who does not give a rats.

I personally find (when diving a car in traffic) that often the FIRST thing that alerts me to a motorcycles approach... is the headlight. (be it oncoming... OR a glint in the rear view or side mirrors... as the come up from behind)... not in fact - the exhaust note.

Now don't take this as I am "anti-aftermarket exhausts" or anything (I've had any number of Acrapovic, FMF, Pro-Circuit, Vance & Hines, Answer and DG****) systems on various bikes over the years.

Whatever make or brands/type of quality after market slip on exhaust system you fit to the GS 1200, it will most likely make a nice improvement, both performance and engine note wise to your bike...
I get that - really I do. But I just thought it was interesting - given the primary motivation you gave in your original post; to get a little concensus from the collective consciousness here, on the notion that "loud pipes save lives" (in a city traffic scenario).

Do they?

I personally am of the suspicion, that if all motor vehicles were fitted with a black box recorder, that an overwhelming number of those involved in motorcycle collisions; would possibly have

"aaaaARP! THUD!! ..... "shiit! ... what was that??!! "

as the final recording on them, immediately prior to impact...?

Whatever system you choose Bombardier, enjoy the ride and be alert at all times... the sound barrier is probably not always a protective one.

*I personally, do find the sound of a well tuned bike and exhaust system something that stirs the emotions, so don't get me wrong... I'm not a greenies membership, 94 dba maximum card carrying extremist by any means.

** The benefit that the "bark" of an aftermarket "sound system" when riding outside of metropolitan areas provides, is also a debate worthy of mentioning. Certainly I have found that wildlife (in particular; kangaroo's, deer, elk etc.) are probably less likely to be encountered dawdling across the roadway when one arrives around a corner or over a crest, out in the woods... given that the "open exhaust note" often alerts them to the bikes immenent arrival... long before you get there. It's not a failsafe by any means... but it helps.

*** I spent about three years in the late 80's, in Southern California riding my VFR to college three days a week... I can tell you that was enough to swear me off riding in traffic from that point forward... I prefer to stick to the desert or forests since then.

**** DG... geebus...! that was back in the 70*s!

... look's like carpente found it..."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 11:55 AM
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Maccaoz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Paint the bike all white,wear blue with a white bash hat,and everybody will hear ya comming.
Maccaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Russ

Oddometer: 16,100
Staintune full system & a K&N filter, bike will breath much better, power curve will be smoother
also save you many KG's
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer: 1,580
Staintune slip on. Not offensively loud even with the restrictor out. Re tuning not required. Lighter than standard muffler and looks good. No appreciable gain in performance unless you subscribe to the "noise = performance" theory (or rev the ring out of it )
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
fayeslane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
http://www.remus.eu/motorrad/

I thought this was interesting;

http://www.remus.eu/sound-for-safety/

Talk about the marketing guys spinning a percieved negative, into a potential sales/PR offensive!

Remus are a leading manufacturer here in Europe of aftermarket exhaust systems for both cars and bikes... they do a lot of nice stuff for Beemers, Ducatis amongst other stuff. I would say that for recognised brands, them or Acropovic are two names which make nice bling/slip ons for the GS 1200.

FWIW (my 2 cents on the noise thing)... given that you yourself mention it in your post; that it is the (percieved) safety aspect of the exhaust note, that the new slip on will generate - as your primary reason for purchase.

I read/hear about a lot of people that subscribe to the mantra that "loud pipes save lives". And while I will concede that a slightly raspy exhaust* note, probably does heighten pedestrians (or wildlife**) awareness of one's approach (just as the Remus sound-for-safety link above referred to)... However, I am still out with the jury to be honest, on just how much difference this makes as far as car drivers (in a city traffic situation) and their awareness of a motorcyclists proximity.

In city traffic, a good number of car motorists (if not the majority) often sitting there, windows up, air-conditioning on (possibly even the radio/CD player blaring?) and by and large pretty much insulated (oblivious? ) to the sounds of the world exterior to their vehicle. That is assuming that their not talking on the mobile, texting someone, drinking a coffee, doing their mascara or any one of a thousand other things that motorists get up to while negotiating the suburban byways and highways.

Snippity snip...
As a man who spends most of his working hours in a large van going around in ever decreasing circles , and have done so for a couple three million km and 30 odd years in a dozen different countries (not always in a van, and not always working - loud exhaust saves lives. Even recently I had a guy on my left inside who had come out of nowhere, I missed him in the mirrors and just about to switch lanes and heard him. Score 1 to his exhaust. Lane splitters - the first warning you will get is the exhaust.

No need for open pipes - but a well tuned 91 db exhaust will do the trick. And as for the anaemic sneezy farts that some v-twins produce when new - lends a new meaning to "silent killer"

Not that I am saying that I don't agree with you TSC, but evidence from my experience would say otherwise. And I am always blipping the throttle on my bike to let the cagers know I am there, while my noise is only a few decibels above the aforesaid sneezy fart I do believe it works

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
MOLAHS
Sisyphus

Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDADVGS View Post
Staintune full system & a K&N filter, bike will breath much better, power curve will be smoother
also save you many KG's
+1 But also add a fuel mgt system.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOLAHS View Post
+1 But also add a fuel mgt system.
agreed on the earlier models yes, on the DOHC 2010> no need.+ supporting a local business.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #9
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by viz View Post
As a man who spends most of his working hours in a large van going around in ever decreasing circles , and have done so for a couple three million km and 30 odd years in a dozen different countries (not always in a van, and not always working - loud exhaust saves lives. Even recently I had a guy on my left inside who had come out of nowhere, I missed him in the mirrors and just about to switch lanes and heard him. Score 1 to his exhaust. Lane splitters - the first warning you will get is the exhaust.

No need for open pipes - but a well tuned 91 db exhaust will do the trick. And as for the anaemic sneezy farts that some v-twins produce when new - lends a new meaning to "silent killer"

Not that I am saying that I don't agree with you TSC, but evidence from my experience would say otherwise. And I am always blipping the throttle on my bike to let the cagers know I am there, while my noise is only a few decibels above the aforesaid sneezy fart I do believe it works

viz

That's all fair enough... I was in no way indicating that my "theory" was anything more than just that - a theory (based on my own personal experience/opinion)... and merely wanted to get some concensus from others. Your evidence provides some credit to support the other side of the debate.

One factor that you brought up - lane splitting - is one that I must admit, I did not really consider. We don't see that much of this practice in the traffic of the southern part of Sweden where I live (okay - sometimes rarely in Malmö at peak hour... but otherwise very seldom), and when I cast my minds eye back to my southern California days (daze?), I had a moving flowing freeway traffic envoronment primarily in my head, or stationary gridlock. In urban slow moving (Sydney) type traffic, I am sure there is a lot of cred to what you wrote.

To get get back to the topic of "purchase"; how popular is the Staintune products for the Beemers in Oz? For obvious reasons, we see mostly Acra' and Remus stuff on GS over here... I was always impressed by the local Staintune stuff they had for the thumpers like XR, DR and KLX's back in the day (1990's) in Australia.

Cheers.

... look's like carpente found it..."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayeslane View Post
Staintune slip on. Not offensively loud even with the restrictor out. Re tuning not required. Lighter than standard muffler and looks good. No appreciable gain in performance unless you subscribe to the "noise = performance" theory (or rev the ring out of it )
There is in fact a small, but noticable, improvement in performance. If you leave the restrictor IN. (As I found out when fitting my 3rd Staintune muffler.........)
Old 05-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #11
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer: 1,580
Copied this from the Staintune website. It's worth noting that they offer excellent back up service. Off to the shed now to look for my extra 5 hp

Performance: The R1200GS has been given a 5Hp gain over standard which may vary +/- 1Hp between individual bikes. There is also no need to spend any extra on engine modifications re-mapping or tuning.

On road test the R1200GS really opened up with a much more responsive throttle which is most noticeable through the mid-range.

Weight Savings: By just using the single muffler there is a weight saving of 4 Kg's

Finish: The system on the R1200GS consists of the lead pipe from under the bike and has an oval style muffler in Staintunes mirror finish.

Noise Emissions:

Standard: 88dba @ 3250rpm

Restrictors In: 88dba @ 3250rpm

Restrictors Out: 91dba @ 3250rpm

The R1200GS runs the Staintune removable restrictor system and the system is ADR compliant. Its legal !!
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
fayeslane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #12
enkil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Installed the Termignoni pipes. Been ever since.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #13
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,208
looovvved the full Staintune on my 08 12gs, noise = power or whatever, pppfffft , the bike felt a lot more responsive, snapping the front up in 2nd gear, the noise with the restrictor removed was better than the dude with the Corbin seat.

Belting past a Kaboom and backing it off to a nice couple of backfires gave me a lump in my loins everytime
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #14
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bully1 View Post
looovvved the full Staintune on my 08 12gs, noise = power or whatever, pppfffft , the bike felt a lot more responsive, snapping the front up in 2nd gear, the noise with the restrictor removed was better than the dude with the Corbin seat.

Belting past a Kaboom and backing it off to a nice couple of backfires gave me a lump in my loins everytime

bully brings the passion
Old 05-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #15
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by bully1 View Post

That's it! I'm off to buy a Staintune!

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote