Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
ancv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
R80G/S - advice on buying one

Hello all.

Need some advice.

I'm buying R80G/S. I allready read a lot about it on the internet, but never ride one.

Now somebody is selling it and I think it's great opportunity. Here is the link to his ad: http://www.avto.net/_MOTO/ad.asp?ID=5967300

few details about it:
year: 1980
mileage: 72.000 km
second owner

It looks good I think almost everything on it is original. He owns it for 8 years and is a second owner. He bought it for around 2.000eur in 2004 in Germany. The bike was more or less in garage. He made just about 8.000km. The problem is that the seller doesn't let me ride the bike.
So I ask myself what could go wrong if I buy it (how do I know that the frame isn't bent, that suspension is ok, etc.)? Is it worth a buy?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
ancv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,325
I would try to negotiate some sort of inspection period with the seller if he won't allow a test ride. Give it a good looking over to make sure there isn't anything obviously wrong with it and that it is, at least visibly, a bike that you want to buy, and tell the seller you'll give them their cash and take the bike (with documents) on an hour long test ride. If there's something wrong with the bike then you come back after an hour, take your money back, and walk away.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
frichtie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
It happened to me once. The seller of my 1987 Transalp wouldn't let me ride before I buy...
I suggested that he took as a passenger. He accepted...Bought the bike. Been riding it for 5 years.
Try to take someone with you who knows that kind of bike. Or negotiate a good inspection.

Eric

frichtie screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 02:37 PM Reason: mistake
frichtie is offline   Reply With Quote