Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #196
Vince_WA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Photos

Forming up at Bully's ...

Stopped for lunch at the Bull and Bush, Boyanup ...

Gary, Simon and Rob admiring Simon's new DR650 ...

Gary was very excited about the upcoming OCBR ...

Refuelling with alcohol at the Bridgetown pub ...

... where the postie boys rolled into, just after we arrived ...

Whenever guys get together, they just have to check out their multitools ...

Nazz getting comfortable in Bully's luxury camping chair ...

Running repairs on a postie ...

Collecting firewood, the postie bike way ...

Bully giving Nazz some sidecar driving tips ...

Nazz giving Bully some sidecar driving tips ...

Ross, Dennis and Anne ...

Two extremes of the adventure bike spectrum ...

So that's how you do it! Pommy Steve teaching Nazz how to open a beer with a cigarette lighter ...

Neil and Richard sizing up Bully's chair ...

Sweet ...

The Clubhouse ...

Relaxing ...

Woops, did we break something?

The Spectators Gallery ...

The Cooks ... (and they did a fantastic job !!!!) ...

Gary enjoying some of Vietnam's finest cognac ...

Richard getting into the cognac as well ...

Rob and Gary on a nature expedition ...

Every camp-out needs a bonfire ...

... and explosive fireworks ...

Howard and Rob sharing a laugh. This photo was taken whilst Rob could still stand ...

Banned ...

Bully had company for the evening ...

Rob on his way out ...

Danno and Waitesy getting into the goon bag ...

How the mighty have fallen ...

Time to wake up !!!

Sunday morning ...

No hang-over !!!

Rob and Vince, heading home ...

Vince_WA screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 04:36 AM
Vince_WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #197
DANNOj
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
Great photos Vince!

What happend to the PD?

Bummer about the postie Rich!!

It was great to catch up with everyone

Cheers
Dan

DANNOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:21 AM   #198
OrangeJim
Oldnfat

Oddometer: 51
Thanks everyone ,Great thing this OCBR. Great to meet everyone. Might take something more suitable next year ,I am absolutely knackered and Chris is asleep in the shed ,Posties are hard work . I now have this weird hankering for a sidecar, although one wizzing around the paddock this morning looked a bit dangerous. Thanks again.
OrangeJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:57 AM   #199
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,652
Looks and sounds like you blokes had a great time and it didn't even look wet - very jealous

(btw Jim I have a PW50 with sidecar for sale, and if you something bigger I also have a BM R100RT with djp, leading links, spoked car wheels etc)

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #200
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Billy View Post

What happened to the PD?

blew the head gasket at the front near the exhaust outlet, started to leak a bit yesterday on the way down but couldn't pinpoint it, I think that having a R100 revving at 10 grand may have led to it's downfall , when boys play . In the end was pumping ou too much oil and I didn't want to risk any further damage.

Ended up on the pillion seat of Ross's outfit, pretty impressed with that, with 1 in the chair, all their gear and 2 big bastards on the bike, still pulling easy as.Might have to turn the PD into a solo and get some horsepower.

just got back in from picking it up, left it at a farm 25kms east of Donnybrook, really nice couple, even fed us when we went back in the truck tonight. I'll pull the head over the next couple of weeks and inspect it, the gasket was done after the border run, but has failed again, time to check the clearances on it.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #201
Dave Ward
Not enough riding...

Oddometer: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by bully1 View Post
blew the head gasket at the front near the exhaust outlet, started to leak a bit yesterday on the way down but couldn't pinpoint it,

I'll pull the head over the next couple of weeks and inspect it, the gasket was done after the border run, but has failed again, time to check the clearances on it.

Bully, sounds like you've got one of the cylinder studs starting to pull out of the crankcase. That's the usual cause of repeated head gasket failure, especially if it's happened before and been repaired with a dodgy helicoil job.

I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Dave Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #202
fatgut
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Ocbr

Great night, Wet ride, Special thanks to the cooks.. I,m more sore from 300km on the Harley than 1000km on the dirt bike. Never again does the Harley go away on a ride..
Kev.
fatgut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #203
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Great weekend, thanks to Neil, Waitsy & Nick for all their hard work, be back on the gravel by next year.
Bit cold & wet on the way home.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #204
AllOrds
-------------

Oddometer: 1,345
Great outing!!
Special thanks to Nick,Neil and Waitsy for making it all happen and keeping the masses fed.
AllOrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #205
neilaction OP
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by bully1 View Post
Who picked up Allords Hlinox chair?
I've got it. You'd think he would have done the decent thing and left me the bag.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #206
Nick4R4
Ride On....

Oddometer: 119
Great weekend at the OCBR this year, special thanks to Neil, Nat and Waitesy.
Always good to catch-up with everyone and meet new faces too. Some of the happy faces didn't look that happy the next day though.

Right says Waitesy, lets get this fire going.

Oh No, looks like the start of things come

Tick Tick Tick BOOM

The Kitchen..

The Kitchen in action, Neilaction !!!

Danno was in the position for quite some time, Neil too

After the early morning sidecar alarm clock, some sorry heads started emerging, heres one..

After a yummy feed of Bacon & Eggs, the masses started departing.

Now, see the van in the background, I dont know who it was that slept in there, but after everyone had left and just Neil, Waitesy and I were packing up, he awoke and wanted to know when everyone had left. He slept through the Sidecar Alarm, Brekky and all the hordes that were gathered around his van, claims he didn't hear a thing. Must have been in a coma or temporarily dead.

Are you parked on the fireplace for a reason Bully?

Richard getting ready for the trip home.

Richard getting ready to put the dead postie on the trailer.

Recovery vehicle and support crew.. A couple of fine looking specimens.

Cheers everyone, see ya at the next one.
Nick4R4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #207
iconman
Good vibrations

Oddometer: 968
Laugh Nice one mate...

Thanks very much for the rescue and the comfortable lift home. Looks like the postie is seized and needs new piston, rings, barrel etc... about $90 off ebay... Must remember to top up oil after high speed hwy leg...

Cheers, Richard.
98 Suzuki DS 80 Gone to a new home
iconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #208
FIIG Rick
FAT CHICKS NEED LOVIN TOO

Oddometer: 668
Another great weekend, I hope the PD feels better soon......
Nazza is relaxing back at the farm, she blew a pressure relief valve whilst practicing her bike lifting( I'll post a vid soon) so she's taking afew days spell.
She should run out of wine by the end of the week, so she will be back in the saddle soon
Old 11-05-2012, 01:19 AM   #209
Nick4R4
Ride On....

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconman View Post
Thanks very much for the rescue and the comfortable lift home. Looks like the postie is seized and needs new piston, rings, barrel etc... about $90 off ebay... Must remember to top up oil after high speed hwy leg...

Cheers, Richard.
No Probs Richard. Lucky that its only $90, not a very expensive lesson.
Nick4R4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #210
Vince_WA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Occasionally I email some old relatives of mine back in England about stuff I've been getting up to ... Here's a copy and paste of what I wrote for them about the OCBR ....

OCBR - Off Centre Beer Rally - Bridgetown - 3rd & 4th November 2012

Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th November 2012 saw the running of the third annual OCBR - the Off Centre Beer Rally. Held again at Sunnyside Retreat, a secluded and disused sports ground about 15km out of Bridgetown, 270km south of Perth, the OCBR is an overnight social gathering of advriders from Perth and the south-west.

Having missed out on last year's OCBR due to a broken leg, I was keen to get down to this year's event. Good mate Rob is still without a working bike so he accepted an invitation to come along as passenger in my sidecar, and Gary arranged a weekend leave pass from his missus and joined us on his KLR.

Saturday morning Gary and I rode to Bully's place in Gosnells, where a number of us had arranged to meet up. Bully had his BMW R100PD sidecar all prepared for the trip, and when Ross and Anne arrived in their GSX1400 sidecar we had three chairs on the ride, with another six solo bikes. Rob slipped his esky into the ample footwell of the DJP 1 1/2 seater, along with a few books (including one I'd just bought for him - Chris Scott's just released Adventure Motorcycle Handbook, the October 2012 revised 6th edition, and a bag of peanuts.

Taking the back roads heading down south we pulled into the Lake Placid servo to refuel (I get about 10km/litre out of my GSX1400 sidecar when loaded, so fuel economy isn't its strongest point), and we took the opportunity to pull on our wet weather gear as the grey clouds looked quite foreboding. Our next stop was at the Bull and Bush pub in Boyanup, where we met up with a number of other riders heading down to the OCBR, including Kevin and Ken on their Harley's, and Simon on his new DR650.

Rob had started drinking soon after leaving Bully's, taking full advantage of the esky at his feet. He also passed his time as sidecar monkey by doing some reading, filing his nails with his multitool, shelling and eating his peanuts, and lubricating his multitool with my chain lube spray, which he'd found in the side pocket of the chair. At the Bull and Bush he grabbed another pint, only to be reprimanded for drinking on the footpath out the front of the pub, along with some of the other guys.

Our last stop of the trip down was the pub in Bridgetown, where some of the guys stocked up their depleted alcohol supply, and where we also met Jim and the rest of the postie boys, as they rolled into the car park just after we'd arrived. Richard had met up with them and the had had a good ride through the bush, enroute to Bridgetown.

Heading out to the sports ground Gary, Rob and I got away late as Gary had misplaced his ignition key, but Bully was marking the corner for us outside of town and we followed him out to the campsite, catching up to the outriders just as we got to the entrance. Most of the advriders headed to the northern end of the grounds, the postie boys took up the south side, and I went to the eastern flank, with Rob in the sidecar and Gary following behind.

Strong murmurings about how I like to have lots of space around me when I camp out fell on deaf ears, as our three tents sprang up almost on top of one another. I'd regret that close proximity later that evening, when the snoring started. I'm not sure why the obsession with camping on top of one another is so strong, especially when ample space abounds.

Tents up, it was time to start drinking (except for Rob, who was well into the day already). Bully dazzled all and sundry with a demonstration of his new whiz bang fold up luxury camp chair, which was quickly proclaimed by Nazza. Nazza would have won the long distance award if we'd had one to give way, having ridden over from the eastern states on her DR650. Bully gave Nazza a few tips on how to drive a sidecar, and then they swapped over and Nazza took Bully for a spin around the sports ground in his chair. About this time a queue formed up and Bully's sidecar, in the hands of a few different drivers, formed the afternoon's main entertainment.

With the sun starting to dip, we went off into the bush collecting firewood, dragging it up towards the clubhouse for the evening's bonfire. One of the resourceful postie boys showed his initiative, towing the largest branch up the slope behind his postie bike. Chores over, it was time to get back to more drinking and chatting about old rides, old bikes (including a really sweet looking BMW from the 1950's and its Ural twin), and old times. Latecomers kept on rolling in, including Danno on his 640 and his mate Greg on his 990. I got to talking with Greg later that evening and realised that we'd bumped into each other originally down at Alexander Bridge near Augusta in late 2011, when we we had camped overnight there after retrieving Rob's broken down California with the aid of a ute and a trailer. What a small world it is!

Neil, Nick and Richard had the kitchen up and running in the clubhouse, and as darkness fell the call for dinner rang out. Great organisation and great cooking led to a great feed, and the BBQ was enjoyed by all. Rob lifted out his after dinner aperitif offering - some potent and barely drinkable cognac he'd bought in Vietnam a couple of years ago, and the bottle was passed around to anyone brave enough to sample it.

With a spare sausage purloined from the kitchen, Rob set off in a quest to catch some fresh tucker along the banks of the river, convinced that tonight would be his lucky night and he would for the very first time actually catch something.

Night time entertainment took the form of continued storytelling and bullshitting, along with occasional homemade fireworks, courtesy of one part petrol and one part water. Taking a break from the storytelling, which included chatting with Kevin about his recent India exploits and his upcoming plans for Rajasthan early next year, Gary, Rob and I went down to the river to check on Rob's sausage. Despite being told repeatedly to be quiet I couldn't help but laugh the whole slippery descent down the river bank, but I doubt it was my noise that scared away anything from Rob's cunning trap.

Gary retired soon afterwards with a sore back, and Rob stepped up his drinking, getting stuck into the American Honey. Bully cuddled up to his faithful sheep Barbara, a stalwart from the original OCBR. Struggling to stay on his feet, Howard and I helped Rob back to his tent, where he just managed to crawl into before collapsing for the night, but not before he'd taken a few tumbles as he staggered down towards his campsite.

The night air was quite cool and pleasant, and I slept soundly until the sound of snoring started wafting through the air. Gary told me afterwards that it wasn't him, but I'm not convinced. Either way, either Gary or Rob snored their heads off that evening, another reminder why I like to sleep apart from other campers :)

I woke up early, to the unattractive sound of someone farting their guts out, and shortly afterwards a wake up call was issued around the campsite, with a 1400 sidecar cutting up the oval in a display of sidecar shenanigans. Despite encouragement from Howard that it was my turn next to go out and give a quick demo of sidecar thrill riding, I declined his offer - I'd sooner sit back and watch other people have fun like that :)

The jet boil came out (otherwise known by Vicky as the 'rocket stove') and a few coffees were fired up whilst out tents were taken down. The camp chefs had breakfast of bacon and eggs ready when we wandered up to the clubhouse, and the bonfire had been rekindled to provide some pleasing warmth. Black clouds started approaching rapidly from the north west, carrying signs of a wet ride home.

Amongst the first to leave Sunnyside Retreat, Gary, Rob and I first stopped in Balingup for a coffee, enroute for Donnybrook and another refuelling stop. Just before pulling into Balingup I'd stopped and slipped into my wet weather gear as the clouds up ahead were just about to burst, and the ride home was very wet and in some places very blustery as well. I'm pleased to say that the sidecar tracked extremely well in the strong cross winds, unlike the sideways skating that I'm accustomed to experiencing on a bike in strong winds. The three of us stopped for the last time in Pinjarra - more fuel for the sidecar and a hot chocolate at the local Dome, before it was back to Perth.

And that's my account of the 2012 OCBR. Thanks to everyone who put their time and effort into making this such an enjoyable event. I can't wait for 2013 - bring it on !!!!