Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #1651
AK Smitty
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Leaving Taganga we headed off to El Banco, a small town on a monster river.

The ride was uneventful other than the road being laden with buses and trucks so we spent most of our day overtaking.

Arriving at El Banco it was nearly 40 degs and sticky, luckily we managed to bag a room with AC again so that was a life saver after Taganga.

Maya created a LOT of interest with a swarm of small motos around her with Colombian faces in awe, it was really cool.

One guy hopped on her (I said he could) and his face lit up and he didn’t want to get off onto his little moto.

For weeks I had been trying to get a piece of metal for our POV camera, finally we manage to find a place, they had alloy angle and the guy cut it, drilled it and gave it to us gratis .... I like this town.

New sunnies were next on the list, right next door was huge selection of glasses so I got some polarized ones, end of an era for the blue ones but I later discovered the 3D effect with the pinlock .

That evening when were returned the hotel owner said an Ozzie had come in to see us after seeing Maya, just then Michael an Irish guy living in Oz appeared again so we all went out for a bite and chat swapping information and scribbling on maps.

We returned to his lodgings across the road from us, he is on 30 year anniversary F800GS ... me likey a lot

Next morning we headed out for breaky, eggs and ariba with coffee, set us up for what turned into a very long day.

To start ..... the road

Tell Michael Josh from AK says Hi

We met in AK and spent some time together in Guatemala. Lots of laughs and stories. He is a good dude with tons of miles under his belt!

My friend Carey, Michael and me...Antigua, Guat

http://akjts.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Dec-2012-Mex-and-Central/26822038_WpDJ5R#!i=2269589191&k=mwWFqVG&lb=1&s=A" title="Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug">http://akjts.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Dec-2012-Mex-and-Central/i-mwWFqVG/0/M/IMG_4029-M.jpg" title="Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug" alt="Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug">

I am here: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...f53b74b2cb510d
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #1652
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Conclusion

Our honest opinion is that Central America (plus and including Mexico) is a great place and seriously well worth spending a lot of time in, having spent nearly 9 months in total there we feel we have only seen enough to make us want to go back, we believe it is unfairly tagged as very dangerous.
Some nice perspectives on Central America. Guatemala was definitely my favorite country to travel in. That is until I got to Columbia ;) Good things await!
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #1653
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman View Post
Some nice perspectives on Central America. Guatemala was definitely my favorite country to travel in. That is until I got to Columbia ;) Good things await!
Me too, I love Guatemala and could live there, we are in Colombia now and oh ... oh ... oh ... the roads, the back roads, the woman with big boobs .... and pretty.

Pressure is on
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #1654
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Smitty View Post
Tell Michael Josh from AK says Hi

We met in AK and spent some time together in Guatemala. Lots of laughs and stories. He is a good dude with tons of miles under his belt!
Heya Josh, he is a bloody nice guy ... that is three of us I know of now and I thought we were a dying breed

Wealth of information too, he is into Venezuela now.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #1655
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

El Banco To Los Santos

Destination was Barichara which we never made due a to a slight navigational error.

We did however have a beautiful ride before ending up nowhere close to where we supposed to be.

A small town on the top of a cliff face, Mrs.Garmin shows a road down to Jordan, so the Los Santos to Jordan road I imagine would be doable on a DRZ400 or smaller with no house and contents as there is only a swingbridge at the bottom, the road goes down this part of the face.

Staying there the night we decided our game plan to backtrack a little and head down through Jordan the following day

The town surrounded by trees

In the morning we went for a short walk up through farmlands and back roads as we had no rush.

We left late morning .... that is when the fun started
Old 08-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #1656
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Los Santos To Jordan To Barichara

Some days your best intentions get completely undone and you have a great day getting lost and a great time getting unlost ... today was one of those

It started with having to navigate around heavy roadworks in town down a street that was triangular shape narrowing down to Mayandahalf wide (that is our new measurement)

Leaving Los Santos we had to back track a little, Mrs Garmin set up a route which may have existed yonks ago but the road from Los Santos down to Jordan was somewhat of a goat track and not suitable for a SE two and gear.

The road into Los Santos is great with epic views of of the surrounding valleys so no biggy, a very enjoyable ride.

We came across our turn off to Jordon, it wasn’t quite where it was meant to be (should have known better at that point) but we followed it down anyway, spectacular views of massive cliffs with a waterfall which didn’t even reach the ground other that in mist....what a treat.

Spoke to you about it ....

The road was step and narrow in places, in some case if you fell off the side it would be terminal

This is the power lines for the valley strung up in the trees

We cherished these concrete sections as they were smooth although only on the steep sections

Most of the road was like this so not too bad

Continuing down to the bottom it was a neat ride and at the bottom we turned right into Jordan ..... there was no-one there other than military police and a coupla stragglers, you could have fired a canon ball through the middle and hit nothing!!

Just me ..... spooky

This is the bridge at the bottom from Los Santos

There was a very friendly militar there so we had a chat with him, took some photos and carried on our merry way which got narrower and rougher, boggy creek crossings and all the hallmarks of being in the wrong place heading to nowhere....which was correct.

Stopping to ask a local he larfed and said no way through and we needed to go up the road from Jordan ... i.e the one we had just come down on, back through the boggy creeks a rutted roads ..... at least we got to see what it was like the other way. ... it was about 40 degrees too

We were so close, probably only 6km as the crow flies but snookered by a HUGE gorge .....

Back up to the highway which was a pretty damn good race track to be fair, so far the Colombian roads are just a meca for fun and all pretty good nic.

Huge views to be had

Finally we made it to Barichara one day later than planned ... no worries we got to see some other pretty cool stuff.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:54 AM   #1657
Jantar
Kiwi

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Photoshop ... busted yeah we are home in New Zealand at -5 deg downloading photos and chopping them up

Some days we worship the cold when we are trying to sleep in 35 deg plus heat which aint a happening thing.
What's this -5 all about. We are experiencing close to warmest winter on record. The apricots have been in blossum for 2 weeks already, and I'm wearing summer gear on the DR each day.

BBQ for you and Ellen at Chatto Creek when you do finally come home.

Cheers Malcolm
Jantar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #1658
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
What's this -5 all about. We are experiencing close to warmest winter on record. The apricots have been in blossum for 2 weeks already, and I'm wearing summer gear on the DR each day.

BBQ for you and Ellen at Chatto Creek when you do finally come home.

Cheers Malcolm
Heya Malcolm ... the warmest ... gezz sounds like the skifields will be doing it hard.

Weather is fickled, Russia getting hammered by epic rain and record breaking quantities, we have been lucky sneaking in and out of rain storms and just around them, bit of clever timing involved too.

Today we are stuck in Guatape due to truckers strikes and road blockades, trying to get to Medellin to get Maya valves checked and it aint a happening thing.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #1659
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Groovy...I can see pics today.

Is that the "broken" camera turning you guys a little orangey back there???
For a minute I tought you were on a carrots/orange diet to counteract the effects of the Demon Rum.

If you have time....check this out and maybe make some amends.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912101

The so called "traitor" had a pretty good trip and of course some good Poutine on the way.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #1660
AK Smitty
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 316
Today we are stuck in Guatape due to truckers strikes and road blockades, trying to get to Medellin to get Maya valves checked and it aint a happening thing.[/QUOTE]

Guatape is a damn fine place to be stuck!!

I was stuck in a coffe protest back in March. Not much you can do. The Colombians can be very passionate about their causes. For my situation there were hundreds of road blocks w protestors and tress cut down. I think the protest went about 16 days.

Andres at the KTM Dealer in the Poblado area of Medellin is the man. He was very nice and helpful to me eventhough I ride an F800. Had some great ride suggestions and knew all the places to get other stuff. Lots of shops in that area to get anything you need. Name brand and knock off. Ruta 40 BMW also went above and beyond.

There is another KTM shop just a couple of blocks from the legit one. The guy is nice but he is not an Authorized KTM dealer. Just has an orange shop and deals in a lot of used KTMs. The word was he did good work.

Medellin can be pricey especially in Poblado but my 3 days turned into 8 or 10 before I knew it. I suspect your camera issues will only increase in that area!!

You RR is keeping me going at work. Thx

I am here: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...f53b74b2cb510d
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #1661
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Groovy...I can see pics today.

Is that the "broken" camera turning you guys a little orangey back there???
For a minute I tought you were on a carrots/orange diet to counteract the effects of the Demon Rum.

If you have time....check this out and maybe make some amends.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912101

The so called "traitor" had a pretty good trip and of course some good Poutine on the way.
Heya Pierre, we have been playing with setting and got something a bit wrong ... no carotene poisoning or anything

Yeah left a reply, great pics he has eh.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #1662
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Smitty View Post
Today we are stuck in Guatape due to truckers strikes and road blockades, trying to get to Medellin to get Maya valves checked and it aint a happening thing.

Guatape is a damn fine place to be stuck!!

I was stuck in a coffe protest back in March. Not much you can do. The Colombians can be very passionate about their causes. For my situation there were hundreds of road blocks w protestors and tress cut down. I think the protest went about 16 days.

Andres at the KTM Dealer in the Poblado area of Medellin is the man. He was very nice and helpful to me eventhough I ride an F800. Had some great ride suggestions and knew all the places to get other stuff. Lots of shops in that area to get anything you need. Name brand and knock off. Ruta 40 BMW also went above and beyond.

There is another KTM shop just a couple of blocks from the legit one. The guy is nice but he is not an Authorized KTM dealer. Just has an orange shop and deals in a lot of used KTMs. The word was he did good work.

Medellin can be pricey especially in Poblado but my 3 days turned into 8 or 10 before I knew it. I suspect your camera issues will only increase in that area!!

You RR is keeping me going at work. Thx[/QUOTE]

Heya mate, yeah it will be what it will be with the protests, Guatape is cool and we went for a local ride today.

Depends on the truckies really as far as we go, maybe get to go tomorrow but probably not, any sign or issues and we will stay put and enjoy more of Guatape.

R2R KTM have contacted us so we are taking Maya there for teh valve check and a few other odds and sods, also close to the Shamrock too.

Least now I can get some more reports up to date ... no excuse now eh ... and glad to hear they keep you occupied at work
Old 08-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #1663
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,906
Damn guys, this is a brilliant RR!
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #1664
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Destination was Barichara which we never made due a to a slight navigational error.

We did however have a beautiful ride before ending up nowhere close to where we supposed to be.

A small town on the top of a cliff face, Mrs.Garmin shows a road down to Jordan, so the Los Santos to Jordan road I imagine would be doable on a DRZ400 or smaller with no house and contents as there is only a swingbridge at the bottom, the road goes down this part of the face.

Staying there the night we decided our game plan to backtrack a little and head down through Jordan the following day

The town surrounded by trees

In the morning we went for a short walk up through farmlands and back roads as we had no rush.

We left late morning .... that is when the fun started
Hey Andi!

Wifey and I found a place similar to this (Los Santos) in northern Peru where we plan to settle and open a Hostel to go with my 'Around the Block Moto Adventures' business. Don't miss it on your way down thru. It is 3 little towns strung together called 'Limon', 'Granadilla', and 'Lucuma'. It is on the climb from Balsas to Celendin. 3,000 mts, but a microclimate in the clouds where bananas and cactus grow side by side!

What way are you crossing Ecuador/Peru?

Mid-Peru about mid-October?

Cheers mate! Great RR's!

Toby

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #1665
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDave View Post
Damn guys, this is a brilliant RR!
Thanks man, things really have stepped up even more here in Colombia so loving it, glad you are enjoying it too!