User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #1681
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,389
Guatape To Medellin

In the morning we talked to the local feds and asked about the riots and road closures, they said the road was open to motos but the stone throwers were still out in force and to be careful, we left and took the back road specifically avoiding the main roads where all the trouble was.

Turns out we rode right into a hot zone which was pretty much everywhere anyway ... literally with burning truck tyres and rubbish everywhere from the riots, we were literally riding through fire pits, some of which were still red hot with burning rubber embers so it was a little unnerving for a while.

Ellen managed to snipe a coupla pics but sticking a camera out in their face as we rode through the middle with Militars and Policia on one side and rioters on the other wasn’t a great idea.

This was common sight Policia everywhere in their own mobs

Km of trucks lined up on the other side of the war zone

Lots of military checkpoints and guards watching on, we were lucky we didn't encounter any stone throwers but the atmosphere was pretty stark in San Antonio.

We arrived safe and sound at Medellin and with a little help got our accommodation sorted only a block away from R2R.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #1682
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post

The target for the day La Piedra Del Peñol

you're killing me with your pics. wow.

glad to see you guys are not rushing your adventure. soaking in the local flavor is the way to do it, but the $ adds up. good we're all lucky enough to see those places at your expense.....
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #1683
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Love this picture, like one of those painted post cards. What were the riots about?

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #1684
moto74
Displaced

Oddometer: 134
You guys just keep traveling south. I love your tenacity, and expect nothing less from a pair of Kiwis on tour. Dave (ex-Hawea)
moto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #1685
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
you're killing me with your pics. wow.

glad to see you guys are not rushing your adventure. soaking in the local flavor is the way to do it, but the $ adds up. good we're all lucky enough to see those places at your expense.....
We prefer not to kill our audience cos we have to talk to ourselves then .

Expense is worth every bit when you get to see this sort of thing ... we don't mind torturing ourselves for you guys
Old 09-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #1686
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Love this picture, like one of those painted post cards. What were the riots about?
Its hard not to get a good pic when you have a backdrop like this

Riots are Truckers re fuel, teachers re unpaid wages, students re unfair fees, farmers re unfair tariffs etc, local hooligans ... just because, pretty much everyone is having a go at something at some stage.

It is only a few very hots spots the rest don't cause any problem unless you want to travel as they close the borders and roads.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #1687
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsrover View Post
You guys just keep traveling south. I love your tenacity, and expect nothing less from a pair of Kiwis on tour. Dave (ex-Hawea)
Heya Dave

I think tenacity is kicked into us Kiwis early on as you well know, it is all or nothing for us and we want to record our trip as best we can and also provide an accurate and fun report for you guys.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #1688
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 725
i'm simply amazed at how clean the streets are in the little towns. are the roadways tidy as well, or do the shopping bag trees grow there as well?
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #1689
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
i'm simply amazed at how clean the streets are in the little towns. are the roadways tidy as well, or do the shopping bag trees grow there as well?
Me too. Colombia looks really clean and beautiful. They do use lots of plastic bags, but we haven't seen any amount of rubbish like we have seen all the way from Central. I hope they keep it that way...

Ellen
Old 09-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #1690
TwoUpTourer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:

Ellen liked this picture in a cafe....

What's goin on??? Checkin the oil??
TwoUpTourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #1691
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,293
"Today, 04:37 AM" Andi's post.....

Different time zones??? Maybe but gives me something to read at 04.47 AM PDT.

Oh well two more days of 04.00 AM wake up calls.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #1692
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoUpTourer View Post
What's goin on??? Checkin the oil??
We are not sure ... you only need to go to El Panol new Guatape to find out

It is a cool pic tho.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #1693
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
"Today, 04:37 AM" Andi's post.....

Different time zones??? Maybe but gives me something to read at 04.47 AM PDT.

Oh well two more days of 04.00 AM wake up calls.
Mate my clock does not start then, yeap time difference for sure ... nowadays the sun beats me outa bed unless we have something big on .. try and avoid that.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #1694
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Medellin

Pronounced "Med a jean" for ingrish speakas

We arrived in Medellin no problem and found R2R KTM, with welcoming arms and smiles we unloaded Maya, they looked after our riding gear and panniers then set to giving Maya the best bath she has ever had, seriously thorough.

The biggest worry then was looking like a mid life crisis rider on a shiny new KTM .... with dirty cases.

Sorting out our hostel we discovered that Medellin was a little more pricy than the smaller towns and Poblado is the nicer area of Medellin as well, we found an ok place so that was cool.

We also had three interesting neighbours, local tranys.

They were pretty cool, for boys they had great shapes, there was a mirror in the hallway right outside our room, one decided to practice her moves in front of the mirror checking all manoeuvres, dropping her top to nipple line and pulling her dress up too .. well anyway.

So Ellen and I sat there on our bed minding our own business with quite the side show going on, one decided I needed to see a booby peek so gave me a flash .... (insert red face here)....didn't know how to take that

They were all smiles and good neighbours cos when we went to bed they hit the town so it was very quiet.

OK, Medellin,

Wandering on up around the place we walked around to the famous Shamrock pub owned by Al (theturtleshead on ADV) and bumped into Oliver and Heather again so we had chats with them, we met Al that night for a couple of drinks.

Al and I managed an ADV salute, again showing the luv here

We met the following morning and got some great advice on places to go etc which was outstanding, Al giving instructions while I listen on

Olivers bike was still not running right from the debuild/rebuild in Costa Rica and several things were starting to need attention .... after well over 80000 miles of RTW travel it is to be expected.

With Maya in good hands and us not having a lot to do other than enjoy the place I offered to help Oliver with his bike so that following morning down at motoshop we set too, I removed the dead disc pads on the rear and pulled both front and rear caliper sets apart for a monster clean and piston de-seize job.

All pistons were pitted and corroded to some degree so out with the fine steel wool to clean them up, Oliver then took them home that night to polish them with cardboard.

We did the valve clearances in order to get them right and so we could check the compressions, checking the compressions netted bad news for Oliver with only 105 PSI in the pots, they are supposed to be up to 225 PSI or minimum 160 PSI or below is rebuild time so he got his moneys worth out of the rings.

An executive decision was made to pull the motor out and have Federico wave his magic wand over the motor and do rings and a valve cut job so out she came, maybe an hours work and we had the motor out on the floor ready for the top end job.

I could not do anything from there on so the following day was a relax and look around Medellin day.

With Maya it was a case of go back and see progress and see what she needed for good health while at the R2R gym, turns out the 4 inlet shims were all in spec and the 4 exhaust shim were out of spec with too bigger clearance so they ordered shims and got them on the way.

Our rear shock had been knocking too, I thought it was a bush so we had a spare on board, while riding on the trip I noticed it was noisier when cold and quieter when hot which pointed to gas and fluid being wrong, turns out I was right as the guys from R2R pulled the shock to find the bushes ok so they sent the shock away for a full service, clean, new oil and new nitrogen.

All good.

A look around Medellin saw us take the metro system which includes a cable car ride to the top of the hill.

You are literally going through peoples back yard and over subdivisions ... kinda pervy really

Looking straight down on the street from the cabel car, sorry for the scrappy pick but the windows are scratched to hell

The city view

On the way there is the famous square which is full of works donated by the famous artist Fernando Botero know for the "fat" works.

While in Medellin we caught up with Elelns ex class mate from the University days and had a lunch and catchup.

When I went back to R2R KTM I had a look around the gear section and spotted these, got an orange mate in NZ who needs these

All in all Medellin was a very nice place and has a KTM dealer worthy of international recommendation, more on that in the next installment of Two Dodgy Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 02:52 PM
Old 09-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #1695
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,175
I just want to tell you how inspiring you guys are. I've been following your trip for months now, and have just been amazed with your perseverance and overall ability to live in the moment.

I have always wanted to do something like this (although with less challenges than you guys have had I hope! ) but life as they say, gets in the way.... It's inspiring and uplifting to read your report and "ride along with you" and look forward to someday doing something like this myself. It's "chicken soup for the soul" as it were.

Keep up the great reporting, and I hope you're able to continue living the dream forever.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote