User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #1906
martin little
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Go Kiwi's!

A great looking adventure, and I will be in the States next year for some similar riding.

Cheers
Kiwimartin
martin little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #1907
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettalique View Post
Oh yeah she's as ugly as sin!!!
Yeah
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #1908
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
Una chimba? There's no going back for you Andy. You drank the water and got contaminated. So much for the Colombian treatment.

No translations allowed
Good times
Old 11-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #1909
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin little View Post
Go Kiwi's!

A great looking adventure, and I will be in the States next year for some similar riding.

Cheers
Kiwimartin
Heya Martin, thanks for your props mate and the USA ..... well that will be a blast. USA is very easy to travel and they have shitloads of anything and everything, some of the best national parks in the world.

If there is any info you need or we can help with just sing out mate, anything to help anyone especially a Kiwi brother
Old 11-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #1910
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Cali To The Ecuador Border

A huge thanks to Raul and Jorge, you guys rock, you made Cali spectacular for us which was so cool.

Also a free punt for a good man https://www.facebook.com/pages/Touri...46931822073001

They have access to lots of touring stuff so you don't need to go without.

Now we are back to reality, heading south to the border after enjoying just short of 3 months in what can only be described as an utterly awesome country and fantastic people.

Mike from Motolumbia gave us some interesting back roads to go on rather than just carve up the Pan Am and they were great taking us through small villages and military blockades ... they were kinda taken when they saw us.

From Cali we took the back road to Suarez and headed up and over the top passing the reservoir, in places the road was very boggy and kinda slippery and the views epic.

The plan was to cross the road to Silvia but it was pissing down with no visibility and our road was shingle so we passed on it and sooked out down the last of the main drag.

Making it in to Popoyan we picked up our stuffed old fuel pump then continued south ending up at El Bordo for the night, not exactly a tourist trap but kinda cool.

Next day was only going to be a main drag blast, we decided to kick off the main drag and go via Policarpa, the road again had outstanding views and it was fookin hot.

Arriving ALMOST in Policarpa our day changed completely, we were stopped by Militars who said not going any further .... the FARC were having some sorta scrap with the Colombian Feds so NO ONE was going through to the main road on the old 25.

This is what Policarpa looks like ... at least from a distance

So, now we were officially on the worlds most dangerous road (forget Bolivia), these guys were playing for keeps with local vehicles etc being stopped and searching everyone and emptying out car contents, .....us they were more concerned for our safety than us being a threat.

When the Police vehicle turned up from town they were also searched and checked the vehicle, the Militar guys then said we had to go back the way we came and that the Police vehicle would be only 5 minutes behind us and if we had trouble they will be there, normally we just brush off the “danger” bit but these guys on this day we talking a different language and were clearly not messing around so we heeded their warning with respect and turned around.

This is the one and only time in Colombia we thought yeap these guys are serious as well as curious, all other stops have been curiosity only (as well as their usual checkpoint stuff)

So back out and back down the Pan Am, I will add to that the Pan Am at this point is actually very nice as you ride through massive steep side valleys.

Pasto, that is where we ended up for the night, great chips.

Next on the agenda was the famous Las Lajas church just out of Ipiales built across the river, it was only a short ride for the day and we ended up staying right in the small township looking down on the BIG waterfall (yes there is a BIG waterfall Geoff) and the church.

We spent the afternoon there hovering around and relaxing, interesting several people have had trouble getting GPS there, we also pushed SPOT clocking in and that failed to so there are some confirmed dead spots around even in the open.

The church is a spectacular bit of work and well worth the visit, accommodation was $9 for the two of us including hot water and a comfy bed, Maya had her own 20 meter x 7 meter vinyled floor room to stay in.

The border, so yes the time came to finally say goodbye to Colombia and after spending just shy of 3 months there I wanted to spend another 3 months but the next corner is calling as well as a new country.

Farewell Colombia and Colombians, we had expectations of Colombia having been pumped up by fello travellers and it exceeded all expectations ....Colombia is even more dangerous than Mexico, Guatemala and El Salvador for not wanting to leave ....
Old 11-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #1911
Balanda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Farewell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Andi, I'm as sorry as you are that its time for you to leave Colombia. Great necklace hey.
Balanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #1912
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Andi & Ellen: It was a pleasure meeting you. I know the Colombians who met you here will miss you as much as you miss Colombia.

I really appreciate the way you travel: Only back roads and taking the time to take it all in.

The great think about traveling North to South is that Colombia is the gateway to an amazing continent; I'm sure you will love the rest of the countries as much as ours.

Good luck, and please continue putting the time in on the RR so we can continue to be jealous!

Salvi
salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #1913
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balanda View Post
Great necklace hey.
Yeah

I am sure the camera will play up again ..... you know this digital stuff never fixes itself
Old 11-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #1914
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvadorfrieri View Post
Andi & Ellen: It was a pleasure meeting you. I know the Colombians who met you here will miss you as much as you miss Colombia.

I really appreciate the way you travel: Only back roads and taking the time to take it all in.

The great think about traveling North to South is that Colombia is the gateway to an amazing continent; I'm sure you will love the rest of the countries as much as ours.

Good luck, and please continue putting the time in on the RR so we can continue to be jealous!

Salvi
Thanks Salvi, you guys made the single biggest impact on our Colombian trip and I know for sure Dan and Sara were extremely grateful to with your Girag help.

We will keep up the report no worries, will try not to make it all look lovely (which it isn't as you see what follows)

Again, thank you so much for giving us the taste of home with 4 wheeling, adv riding and just bein top notch people.

See you in New Zealand .... no pressure.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #1915
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

We Are Very Lucky

It seems the equator was too hot for our house which caught fire at 3.30 am yesterday morning in New Zealand.

We have the house rented which is helping pay for our trip so we are on a diminishing timeline for when +/- equal is equal and we will have to go back home to work.

Thankfully the smoke alarms went off and our tenants were unharmed and a quick call to the fire service saw them turn up and extinguish the fire.

The cause of the fire is yet to be determined officially.

So, given the yellow pipe is the main gas feed in we consider ourselves extremely lucky there were no deaths and we still have a home to go to cos if that had burnt through it would have changed everyone's day

This is literally 1 meter from where Maya will live

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 07:53 AM
Old 11-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #1916
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Not something anyone wants to see while out of country.
I hope damage is minimal. Looks like electrical by the melted panel.
Is that in your garage?
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #1917
Balanda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Oh no, really sorry to hear about this Andi and Ellen. I can appreciate that it could be a game changer. Looking at the picture it does appear t have been electrical in origin - loose terminal on a breaker? It might be easily repairable, allowing you to continue on your journey.
best of luck guys
Balanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #1918
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,384
Fire Alarms

Must check this place and see if I have alarm , there is something on ceiling looks like 1 . Very lucky someone was home Andi . Ride safe guys and keep the blue pics coming . I finally have contact with friends at Santa Fe , house I lived in last year lost roof and all timber that held iron on , house i live in at beach this year was very lucky , big tree came down and flatten carport , ventilator on roof blown off . the winds came in from the south and when eye went thru they came from north . Beach house faced east so was very lucky . Just about every native house is flattened or major damage . Cheers Toddy
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #1919
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Oh man... thank god they extinguished the fire before it go to the gas main!!! Perhaps re-routing the gas o relocating the main electrical panel would be a good idea...
salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #1920
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Wow! on the fire. In Peru many years ago we had a rat chew thru our gas line and the pilot light lit the wall on fire (all wooden house!). If our 9-yr old hadn't woken us and I able to shut off the main and spray the way down with the hose that was just outside, I wouldn't be writing this now!

Pray you can work out everything long distance (especially because I have a waterpump kit here in central Peru that won't fit ANY of my 8 motos!).

Cheers! Toby

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote