User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #1996
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,662
Playas To Machala To Cuenca

So feeling like crap but still able to ride we set to first through Guayaquil, Ecuadors biggest city, if I hadn’t bummed our turn up we would have been through faster than a dutchman chasing a dollar bill in the wind ....but I thought a city tour was in order ...yeah.

No dramas down the road other than boredom from a straight road and a dodgy guts, we did however manage to find a neat shortcut out to the sea, we shoulda stayed at the little village as it was quite nice but we punched on to Machala as we needed wifi and to be honest a touch of air con or a good fan and a nice bed was in order for yee ol sick one.

See the bottle made from bottles advertising no biffing rubbish

Very basic wee fishing village

My wish was fulfilled and was well earned, surprising what a few home comforts when you need em can make a huge difference ... actually just not trying to sleep on the toilet makes the biggest difference.

Machala itself surprised us with its size and it is a modern town

Interesting when the tide came in during the afternoon the storm water sumps were flowing back onto the street creating a flood on the streets.

A lite snack of fries and a bottle of 7 up to settle the mid then bed for the oldies.

The road from Machala to Cuenca bought a whole new feel to the place as we had gone from jungle to mountains to beaches to desert in two days and had ridden down from 4860 meters to see level.

The mountain desert road

A solitary plastic bag racing us down the road ... we won

Destination Cuenca, we were on course to meet with Luis, Janette and family, amigos of Julio in Ambato.

On arriving there was an audience and welcoming comity, a rider Alfonzo (Pocho) from Colombia, a couple Garston and Luciana from Argentina and Luis and family.

We were welcomed in and given lunch and shown to our room, very nice indeed.

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 12-09-2013 at 06:04 PM
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #1997
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Poor ol maya was down to about 20 hp, at the carpark she didnt have enough grunt to get out of the soft volcanic sand and up the carpark very easily so that is where she stayed for her photography session.
Yeah, blame it on the motorcycle... its got nothing to do with your riding skills. I'm sure I could've wheelied out of that carpark.

salvadorfrieri screwed with this post 12-09-2013 at 07:55 PM
salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #1998
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 688
I see your signature has been Colombianized...err...enhanced forever

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #1999
RMOTO
Doing secret stuff

Oddometer: 305
Quote:

Cool photo Ellen, this is my second favourite to the radio active glowing lamas
Old 12-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #2000
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvadorfrieri View Post
Yeah, blame it on the motorcycle... its got nothing to do with your riding skills. I'm sure I could've wheelied out of that carpark.
Damn thought I was gonna get away with that ... you will understand when you get to my age

From what Paolla says you could do it with your hands tied behind your back too
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Old 12-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #2001
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
I see your signature has been Colombianized...err...enhanced forever
Yeah .. signifying our love and fun times in Colombia.

It was either that or a girlfriend from Medellin so Una Chimba will do
Old 12-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #2002
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
Cool photo Ellen, this is my second favourite to the radio active glowing lamas
Heya Josh, yeah they are electronic lamas, the night crew have LEDS too

Funny enough they ARE brightly coloured which is a good thing cos they love running across the road in front of you so they are easy to spot.

For me, highest point in the world on land and stunning mate.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #2003
Spokin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Hi Andi and Hellen,finally We have decent WiFi in San Cristobal de las Casas,came from Puerto aristas 35 degrees hot at see level to 7000 feet and 10 degrees,
We see you heaving a great time and doing a lot of sight seeing I don't thing we will be able to clime to 15.000 but we were already at 12.000 feet in Mexico popocatepelt ,
Hope your Moctesuma revanch is over and you feeling better,you have a great blog and we like the way you post it ,
I know how hard it is to find descend food,now Greti kooks and i know what I get,I was never happy eating in restaurants most time i left hungry and unsatisfied like bad sex,
Greetings Norbert and Greti
Spokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #2004
docwyte
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
Finally all caught up. A great read, you've really experienced all the ups and downs (literally!).

Glad to see you still have a great sense of humor and are continuing on your journey.

If you loop back up to hit Colorado, drop me a line!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #2005
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Looks like your enjoying Ecuador ! One of my favorite countries. Especially liked the cheap fuel and great people too. Keep up the report, we are enjoying it.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #2006
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokin View Post
Hi Andi and Hellen,finally We have decent WiFi in San Cristobal de las Casas,came from Puerto aristas 35 degrees hot at see level to 7000 feet and 10 degrees,
We see you heaving a great time and doing a lot of sight seeing I don't thing we will be able to clime to 15.000 but we were already at 12.000 feet in Mexico popocatepelt ,
Hope your Moctesuma revanch is over and you feeling better,you have a great blog and we like the way you post it ,
I know how hard it is to find descend food,now Greti kooks and i know what I get,I was never happy eating in restaurants most time i left hungry and unsatisfied like bad sex,
Greetings Norbert and Greti
Heya Norbert and Greti

Yes elevation changes things in a hurry for sure, we were sprised how quick you climb to the top of the world and back in only hours.

Feeling better now, was washed out for about three days and the heat makes it worse.

In Mexico we had the best food on the street and cheap, aim for the places with the locals lining up, the only time I was crook in Mexico I got food poisoning from a flash restaurant... street food wins

Look forward to catching up, tomorrow we hit the border to Peru WOH HOH
Old 12-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #2007
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
Finally all caught up. A great read, you've really experienced all the ups and downs (literally!).

Glad to see you still have a great sense of humor and are continuing on your journey.

If you loop back up to hit Colorado, drop me a line!
Heya docwyte

Yeah coupla speed bumps but everyone has them ... just gota keep the broken bones to a minimum

We will come to Colorado as we missed it due to the Suzuki fails costing us 6 weeks off the road in the US and Colorado was hot on the list

Will definitely see you then .... our doors are open when we get home to if you find yourself in New Zealand.

Cheers Andi
Old 12-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #2008
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Looks like your enjoying Ecuador ! One of my favorite countries. Especially liked the cheap fuel and great people too. Keep up the report, we are enjoying it.
Yes we have enjoyed it, tomorrow we hit the border to Peru, looking forward to that

Will miss the cheap gas for sure, most people were great but we had it pretty much every day where people "adjusted" the prices and tried diddling us ... good resistance practice for Peru and Bolivia I think
Old 12-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #2009
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Cuenca ... Town Of Surprises

Being big towns aren't totally our gig we have found some surprise in Central and South American towns.

A walk around Cuenca in the afternoon we had a small list of stuff we wanted to do including getting more insurance which was due to run out, we did a visit to the KTM shop looking for a replacement horn but the atmosphere was cool there, although we were not expecting red carpet some help would have been welcomed...never mind it is just a horn.

Las Cajas National park just out of Cuenca with hiking etc was our next mission, again up at 4000 meters our fitness was improving with every breath we tried to take.

Many lakes and tarns grace the park

There are weird "red trees' that are buckled

Stunning scenery again was served up in the intermissions of cloud. fog and occasional rain unveiling the true beauty that Ecuador hides on the top shelf.

We were there.

While there we took in Cuena town as well as enjoying a very nice coffee at a gringo cafe (nice to have these luxuries every few weeks), Cuenca itself is a very nice city and by comparison very easy to get in and out of.

The Panama hat museum was in order to to see how the hats were made.

As you can see this lady has a nice hats....

All shapes and colours

A hat forming machine

That evening Garston (a chief from Argentina) prepped and cooked up a big bar b que which involved drinking and lies ..as well as some BMX stunts on the top deck....good times.

...a balanced diet

A chiefs talent

Luis and I showing our appreciation

Janette is also a bombero (firefighter) so all the girls had a trip to the fire station for a photo session ....they have some pretty cool kit there.

These are BIG trucks

We tried to leave the next day and were told off ... we had to stay or there would be trouble, no prob, we don’t wonna be naughty at our age as that is seen as irresponsible so Ellen reciprocated and made sushi that night for the gathering....again this went down like a treat.

Some cool and interesting people to, Pocho from Colombia travelling on a his Pulsar, unfortunately a "very strong gust of wind" on a charm still perfect day blew his bike over

Gaston and Luciana from Argentina travelling two up on their Honda 125

Yes 79424 km .... onya guys ..Respect!!!

The girls doing girls things... they said it was nail polish I reckon they were graffiti taggers

Saying goodbye to our new Cuencadorian family we took a cool route through small villages and a back road to Yantzaza on great advice from luis, anything to avoid the pan am and clutter that goes with it.

Huge thanks to Luis Janette and family for making us feel welcome.

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 12-13-2013 at 07:23 AM
Old 12-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #2010
TwoUpTourer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
As you can see this lady has a nice hats
You'll end up in Rio if you steer south the same way you point at hats
TwoUpTourer is offline   Reply With Quote