Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #2026
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,487
San Agnacio To Cuispes

Waterfalls ...common as rice in China

Our plan started as heading to Chachapoyas however meeting Oliver and his girlfriend by chance at the hostel he suggested some alternate ideas, being a local we took it on.

We hit the road at 6.00am to avoid upwards of 8 hours delay on the road due to massive roadworks, again great advice from the hostel dude saying get past the roadworks prior 7.00am when they start or it will take all day to cover about 60 km.

Riding through the roadworks and being wet the base binder they use it stuck to Maya like concrete, we wanted some good rain to help wash this stuff off but that did not eventuate despite ominous looking clouds, we did have treats further on tho where the road has some cool overhangs through the gorges.

We took a wrong turn ... ooops

This boat was gonna take us across the river but we decided against it wanting to keep Maya a little longer

We hoped this went somehwere .. in Peru we have found many surprises on the road

Old bridge new bridge

Cool rock into under cut rock

So, between paper maps and Mrs.Garmin we made it however Mrs.Garmin has us in a different place to where we are ... as do the paper maps......must be the Japanese earthquake eh.

There is one Hostal here in the main plaza (only plaza) so we based ourselves there, you won’t know it is there unless someone tells you ... so here it is, the GPS coords and what you are looking for.

GPS coords

Cool wee tranquil town up at 2000 meters so easy to sleep and quiet, secure and enjoyable, no wifi tho.

As far as a quiet hangout it ticks the boxes well and we thank Oliver for the local information
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #2027
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mettalique View Post
Hi guys, enjoying your reports. Loved the 125 Landrover, was wondering if I should farckle up my 90 with some of those bits.

I hope you both have a great Xmas where ever you are, I'm off to malaysia for a couple of weeks.

Graham

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Heya Graham, great stuff thank you.

Yeah that wee bike was a ripper, had to take a pic of that ... an enthusiast

Have great fun in Malaysia man, never been there, is it moto riding? or a normal human type holiday?

Cheers and Merry Christmas to you to.

Andi
Old 12-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #2028
mettalique
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
No not riding unfortunately. Langkawi for a week then Kuching and Kota Kinabalu in Borneo. Looking for future places to ride and Borneo seems the place

mettalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:45 AM   #2029
biker7one
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thanks for the miles Andi and Ellen, great adv well recorded. great onbike shots Ellen, great story guys, thanks for the superb RR. Treat yerselves to a good day you've earned it and more.
biker7one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #2030
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mettalique View Post
No not riding unfortunately. Langkawi for a week then Kuching and Kota Kinabalu in Borneo. Looking for future places to ride and Borneo seems the place

Heya Graham, no biggy, still not the short straw by any stretch, have a great time there.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #2031
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker7one View Post
Thanks for the miles Andi and Ellen, great adv well recorded. great onbike shots Ellen, great story guys, thanks for the superb RR. Treat yerselves to a good day you've earned it and more.
Heya biker7one, thank you for your compliments and thank you for following.

Merry Christmas to you too, enjoy
Old 12-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #2032
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Peruvian Christmas Crew

At it

James and Colleen Tucker, Tobius (norschweger ) WOH HOH

Merry Christmas all

Old 12-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #2033
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Merry Christmas to all.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #2034
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 712
Great ride report, what an amazing trip!

Wishing you and your Adv friends a Wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!

In my opinion, there are few places on the globe that can match the sheer splendor of the Peruvian Andes. Take time to enjoy the Sacred Valley, you will not be disappointed.

All the Best,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #2035
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTim View Post
Merry Christmas to all.
Heya TOTim

And to you too mate, sorry for the late reply but unfortunately I got food poisoning on Christmas eve and have been in bed and lookin down the toilet ... little less than ideal for festivities

So today, hopefully hold some food down but I am as weak as hell and looking stunningly ghost like
Old 12-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #2036
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
Great ride report, what an amazing trip!

Wishing you and your Adv friends a Wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!

In my opinion, there are few places on the globe that can match the sheer splendor of the Peruvian Andes. Take time to enjoy the Sacred Valley, you will not be disappointed.

All the Best,

Heya poolman

Thank you for your props, much appreciated.

Yes the Peuvian Andes are quite something to say the least, the sacred valley for sure we will get there.

Cheers and have a great holiday

Andi & Ellen
Old 12-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #2037
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Ecuador Sum Up

Ecuadawesome!!!!

So first off a massive thanks to Freedom rentals for great information, also to Julio, mum and dad of Ambato and Luis and Jeanette & family of Cuenca you guys rock and made Ecuador for us....and we had a good crack at the rest of it.

Starting back at the beginning arriving at Tulcan we bedded in getting used to new another country after leaving the comfort and fun of Colombia, let me tell you Maya nearly turned back....it was close, my enthusiasm to head to Ecuador overruled the want to stay in Colombia, was it a smart move ... who knows but the idea is to see the place so to move on.....nonetheless my heart was not in leaving Colombia.

Hitting the coast we wondered why the hell we did that, it was not anything like we thought, both of us agreed our hearts are in the mountains.

Heading to Quito was great, nice ride and accom and meeting the guys from Freedom Rentals, now if you are coming to Ecuador GO SEE THEM, these boys know the place like the back of their hand ... trust me they WILL make your trip.

Ecuador has stunning national parks worthy of world class status so we made the most of these.

Ambato, Julio,mum and dad ... outstanding, great times from great people and Julio is an inspiration doing his RTW trip on a KTM 525EXC.

Chimborazo was undoubtedly the highlight for both of us and the highest point we have ever been on land . .... if we look a bit red it is cos we were the closest to the sun we have ever been.

Over to the coast further down we enjoyed that apart from the guts ache from a dodgy food tienda, shit happens (ouwh and it it did)

Cuenca, amigos of Freedom and Julios, Luis and Jeanette put up with us and to be fair we loved staying and torturing them with sushi, again great times with local people, they really make the trip putting the icing on a great cake.

The roads were outstanding condition... even the dirt roads were great condition and despite the road from Vilacabamba to the border was difficult we really enjoyed it and the entertainment of diggers towing buses etc on the main drag was something different.

The down side, as with anywhere it is not perfect and the blemish for me was the daily dose of people “trying it on”, doubling prices, quoting prices then changing it, I have started to grow a thicker skin after being ripped a few times....and allowing it...fool on me.

Now I fight back, they think nothing of trying to take me to the cleaners so I have no bones about defending my position and standing my ground, I am sure if they came to New Zealand and we did it to them they would get tell us to get stuffed.

Much to their surprise when I say no, that is NOT what you said they are taken back, I think they must do it to white faces and other white faces just blindly go “ouwh OK”, so I raise my voice one notch and they don’t seem to like that attention.

So enough on that but I do advise any whiteyfoos to stand your ground and let them know it is not cool as it makes it more difficult for the next people if they think they can do it and get away with it all the time, some food for thought anyway.

To finish on a good note we both enjoyed and loved Ecuador and wouldn’t hesitate for a second to recommend it to other travellers, as for danger, no this is not a dangerous place and like anywhere you mind your stuff and be sensible.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #2038
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
At it

James and Colleen Tucker, Tobius (norschweger ) WOH HOH

Merry Christmas all

very nice. hope you all had nice christmas celebration. i too want something a little less and quieter.

coleen and james surely don't let grass grow under their feet to get there that quick.

cheers to all.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #2039
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
very nice. hope you all had nice christmas celebration. i too want something a little less and quieter.

coleen and james surely don't let grass grow under their feet to get there that quick.

cheers to all.
Heya Loel

Cheers mate and Merry Christmas to you too.

Colleen and Jame left today ... we are on our way tomorrow ... somewhere.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #2040
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Cueipes - Town Of Waterfalls

In Cueipes there is the 10th 3rd highest waterfall in the world ... they all seem to have a claim to fame however we can vouch these have a claim to grandeur, Yumbilla being a 4 tier fall it falls from the plato well above and drops four tiers to the base pond before turning into a normal creek on its way to the Amazon river.

This baby is four tiers high

With a bit of scrounging around we found the track to the base and the undercut falls ... awesome.

The base falls, me on the left

You can walk behind the falls too as it has been washed out from years of wear and tear, you can see how it floods in Brasil when you have epic rains in Peru as the catchment is enormous.

Ellen decided it was warm

That pretty much took care of the day, next up was the track to the top between the first and second tier which we did on the second day and we were not let down at all enjoying epic views of Peru from the top shelf.

And how cool is this a bit or wildlife right in front of us

The top, this section was a monty, again me but on the center right being dwarfed by a Pervian ducha

Ellen decided on the way back that one of the smaller falls was worthy of a swim, I thought it was worthy of a photo, we both got our way.

On a previous track earlier we looked for another invisible waterfall and it turned into and epic climb so needless to say by the time we made it out of the bush we were beat but what a day.

Tea was early ...so was bed time.