Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #2041
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,576
Cuispes To Luya And About

Huge day .... woulda been a good 40 km.

After spending our one .... three nights in Cuispes we hit it and headed to Chacapoyas with the vision of going back to Luya,

The road was nothing short of spectacular with massive rock overhangs such that again they made Mrs.Garmin lose her mind.

Ellen spotted the turnoff to Luya that took us right there, the road not shown on maps or GPS so we are using human talent to get to places now.

Getting off the main road it turned to shingle and was boney and yet again another world most dangerous road, I am sure if we fell off any one of them that would be the end of it so I am not sure what makes what more dangerous.

We set up at Luya for the night and started our trip out to Karajia, we were relying on roads signs and as it would happen some wonderful Peruvian made the sign wrong and the two towns pointed out on it are opposite ways.

Eeeerh WRONG

We travelled quite some distance on an even bonier road before stopping and asking only to find out this slight anomaly ....as known by the locals.

An american lady working in a school came to the rescue and said we needed to backtrack and informed us of slight hickup with the sign so that pretty much stuffed the day and we had to return and have a crack at it the following day.

Nice outlook, ominous clouds in the distance, even when taking the wrong turn the right ting always happens.

You guessed it, next day mission accomplished with ease now on the right road.

We have to admit the sales photos etc almost overdid what we thought we were going to see, the single sales photo of the statues is pretty much it, anyway, being there is everything, it was great to see it in person and we have a cool cruise through small backyard towns.

A tomb on the other side

Nice chasm like surroundings

On our way back we turned off to the Huaylla Belen river which snakes its way down the valley, we stopped at the top which unveiled the full shape of it.

This pic can only be improved in one way

....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 12-27-2013 at 05:55 PM
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #2042
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Luya To Chachapoyas To Kuelap

We returned back to Luya from the statues and headed for Chachapoyas for much needed wifi, my passport is due to expire in 2014 and you need it valid for at least six months after your border crossing, buggered if i know why as to me valid is valid.

So our major discovery at this point in the planet is getting wifi is hard to find then to cap it off is is very very slow so uploading photos and doing ride reports has now become a mission in itself.

Now we find ourselves clocking into big towns every few days to catch up on office work, sometimes a ride report and clocking onto FB etc turns into a chaw with the lack of speed so please be patient, this is a great excuse to ignore you guys but we aren’t doing that ......promise .

Chachapoyas was cool, nice setting and we had a nice pizza which is a change from chicken and rice, we did get my passport stuff done finally, we also tried to get Mayas registration sorted but from a third world country dealing with an antiquated bureaucratically bullshit system the USA/Arizona has is 4th world to deal with, unbelievable to be honest ... all we wonna do is give them money to keep the system straight

Office work plus or minus done for the mo thankfully the plan was to visit kuelap ... poor mans Machu Picchu ... or is it?

Local police bike ... rural

Beautiful buildings

Here you can get Coca Cola and Inca Kola, not sure the Incas drunk this stuff tho .. both made by Coca Cola!!

Old 12-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #2043
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Kuelap

Poor mans Machu Picchcu ... not on your life, this place is unreal and a genuine treat back into, at $5 compared to Machu Picchcu $50 I hope Machu Picchcu is ten times better.

A great road leading to Kuelap we found lodgings in a small town Maria and the following day took the ride to the top.

This is a model of what used to be there in their hay day.

Well for poor mans Machu Picchcu it is outstanding, we spent the good part of 3.5 hours wondering around the photogenic ruins...the ex home of 3000 inhabitants at 3000 meters above stress level.

Entrada/Entrance, one of only four.

Of interest all the buildings were built circular except the big meeting room, the views from all side can only be described as majestic.

A newly restored building showing what was there.

Some local llamas followed us around, I think they just wanted their photos taken with some whiteyfoos.

Different decals on the walls for different levels of society

Tombraiders .... I think we beat Angelina Jolie here

Propping some ruins

Stoned

This is the point I sat there, looked out over the valley and had some deep thoughts (normally I am very shallow ), so wow, here WE are in Peru in Kuelap sitting here looking straight in the face of raw history, I felt inspired and bulletproof, taking some fresh air in, big breaths, big views .... I was there

Ellen got some air too .... Phil and Jayne ...is this one ok?

Completion the ruins satisfied and fulfilled with our rocking experience we set to heading south to Leymebamba, the road was completely wiped out a coupla of weeks ago so we had no idea if we were going to do an epic backtrack or not, the bus drivers at Kuelap said no you can’t go through so we thought we would have a look anyway...glad we did.

We bumped into Martin a German RTW traveller and he had just come through no problem so game on plan A still in effect with scenery road supreme in our sights.

Crashing the night in Leymebamba we met Devin a Canadian on a pushbike so 3 x gringos go out for tea in the small town, great end to a superb day.

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 12-27-2013 at 04:11 PM
Old 12-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #2044
korukiwi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Awesome photos. I can feel your excitement of being such a stunning place. This is just the beginning of Peru! As always I am looking forward to your RR.
korukiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #2045
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 674
Que chimba de paseo!!!

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #2046
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by korukiwi View Post
Awesome photos. I can feel your excitement of being such a stunning place. This is just the beginning of Peru! As always I am looking forward to your RR.
Thanks man, really appreciate it ESPECIALLY from another Kiwi and even MORE especially from a fello RTW traveller
Old 12-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #2047
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
Que chimba de paseo!!!
Gracias amigo ...una chimba
Old 12-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #2048
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Leycabamba To Celedin To Cajamarca

After some deep thoughts in Kuelap can it get any better... yeap!!! ...now I am on my moto with deep thoughts and scenery to get possessive over

Worlds most beautiful road, one of many we have had the privilege to ride and stunning it was, one of many we in Peru.

We left at the normal time of about 9.00am and soon caught up to Devin who was cycling up the monster hill which goes up to 3600 meters.

We towed him the 8 - 9 km up the hill which saved his legs and lungs a good 2 hours slog knowing he would need his energy for the following days climb outa Balsa.

Totally legal of course and we had consent ....

Saying goodbye at the top .. group photo

Waving bye bye to a happy camper we quietly meandered our way down this beautiful black boulevard of scenery, the fog playing with us and the narrow and winding road keeping my mind on the job.

Narrow in places

WOW, I am not sure I got outa 2nd gear the whole way down as we took our time gobsmacked at the beauty.

This was the section of road the mum nature sent for a holiday down the chasm, a new temporary permanent bridge in place, you don't look off the side

Into Balsa the outside temp hit 41 degrees C, a quick feed under a tree and few good gobs of water we set to the next leg up and over to Celedin.

Coupla local boy racers taking the outside line but with some kiwi skill we kicked their Asses

Cool scenery and rock faces

This is common sight along this part of road, a complete monster rock garden

Crossing the swollen river at Balsa

The roads goes on and on up the valley then you leave the tighter section and realize you are actually only about 1/3 of the way up, we thought of Devin riding up there and were extremely grateful of a 950cc donk.

Finally up and over we continued to Celendin where we finished for the day as a stopover to destination Cajamarca Christmas.

Some locals in Celedin

Typical tall oversized hats are worn by everybody except the hot chics trying to impress the boys and the horny boys who don't wonna destroy or disturb their new 1980's Bobby Brow hairdo

Only having about 120 km to do for the day we didn’t bust our nuts and had plenty of time to get sorted, James and Colleen Tucker and Tobius were joining us for Christmas in Cajamarca for a gathering of the homeless, request was wifi, parking cheap, the request was fulfilled.

Christmas afternoon James and Colleen rolled in followed by Tobius followed by Devin on his pushbike .... top effort!!

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 12-28-2013 at 09:49 AM
Old 12-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #2049
IVAN38
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Thank you for your magnificent photos...
I adore ...I am a fan

seen you soon
Old 12-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #2050
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVAN38 View Post
Thank you for your magnificent photos...
I adore ...I am a fan

seen you soon
You are welcome sir and thank you for the awesome props.

See you soon, for sure
Old 12-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #2051
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,995
very nice as usual.

brilliant pics and commentaries. i see the camera is acting bad again....

andi, i fully understand how tough to find wifi, upload pics, gather your thoughts, find wifi again and post ride reports.

it is all hard work, but it's a work of love. besides you got us hooked....and your stuck with us.

excellent holiday readings. many readers appreciate it, so happen they're the shy type.

i would like to ride in south america and just thinking when to quit my job and sell the house, that's going to be hard.....but you guys did it..

keep them coming please...
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #2052
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
brilliant pics and commentaries. i see the camera is acting bad again....

andi, i fully understand how tough to find wifi, upload pics, gather your thoughts, find wifi again and post ride reports.

it is all hard work, but it's a work of love. besides you got us hooked....and your stuck with us.

excellent holiday readings. many readers appreciate it, so happen they're the shy type.

i would like to ride in south america and just thinking when to quit my job and sell the house, that's going to be hard.....but you guys did it..

keep them coming please...
Heya Joel ... well ...if we are stuck with you ok we will do it

As for that camera, yes it did have a moment or two, it even made Ellens bikini fall off so it appears the problem it is getting worse ... I mean better or something

You can do it mate if you want, we kept our home and have rented it but yeah having no job is a cool feeling.

More to come today of the semi failed Christmas
Old 12-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #2053
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Cajamarca ...Merry Christmas

Firstly if you organize an event you should turn up ....

We I did ... at least for part of the first night, James & Colleen Tucker, Tobius me and Ellen out for a snack

Christmas eve, all the crims had arrived and got sorted, we had a few grogs and went out for tea, we had Chinese and I got a bad batch of chicken, by later evening I was turning green, by midnight I was not feeling great but we went into town for a look around and got back about 1 ish.

Fours mysterious Ghosts

Cajamarca Peruvian crew on Christmas eve ... good times

Shortly after things went sour with No2’s going from cable to wifi and me talking to the big white telephone several times during the night, BIG discussions were held . (no photos)

So my Christmas present was food poisoning ... yay, Christmas day I was sub sheets all day, sweating, freezing, dunny, repeat.

Not sure what the others did so that is my Christmas report .

Boxing day I was still alive although heavily washed out and badly dehydrated so Ellen got some Gatorade to help refuel me then slowly on dry biscuits I got back into it.

Next night when I was fit and almost well Tobius, Devin Ellen and I went to a steakhouse for tea... outstanding it was too, incredibly nice and a treat after being so crook.

We did have time to take in the sights of Cajamarca finally, again Tobius, Devin Ellen and I take a ride to Banos Del Inca hot pools and the three lads got a massage too...awesome soak followed by a good beating.

Inca face carved into a tree, well done I say.

The local (crazy) market also providing some bulk entertainment it was hustle and bustle supreme, as luck would have it pretty much the best coffee place in town was two doors down.

The louts, Ellen, Me, Tobius and Devin

Merry Christmas with the ADV salute to go..

Tuckers away

Tobius away

As usual .. the kiwis ... first to get there last ones to leave
Old 12-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #2054
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Bahahahahaha!!....."No.2s going from cable to WiFi" That's great!! Oh!.....Sorry for your trouble

Merry Christmas and a Safe and Happy NewYear
justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #2055
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Hi Andi & Ellen!!!

We're sorry we haven't been able to reply to your emails, as you can imagine we've been kinda busy with Cartagena & Christmas & Wedding & everything else...

Guys, your latest pictures are by far (in our opinion) the best so until now!!! Its great to see how you are are continuing to ride the unbeaten path while proceeding to amaze the rest of us!!

So, here's a few pics you might enjoy:

Our nephews, and ring bearers:

The (un)lucky couple:

The (very) unlucky bride:

Dancing the night away:

Big hug from Cartagena and the best wishes for an amazing 2014!!!

Salvi & Pao
salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote