ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #196
Jantar
Kiwi
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Otago, New Zealand
Oddometer: 66
Keep it coming Andi. A great write up and I am very jealous. Did you get in touch with KiwiRider?
Jantar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #197
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
Keep it coming Andi. A great write up and I am very jealous. Did you get in touch with KiwiRider?
Heya Jantar

Cheers for the props and yeap they did reply after Roger (Raftn) from KB had a word in their ear.
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #198
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging
 
Canuman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: The Palace of the People, VT
Oddometer: 4,614
Brilliant RR. So glad to see that you both are still committed to the ride and one another. And thanks for the excellent photography.
__________________
The Rock 2013 RR
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915172
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: http://www.moto-racks.com
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #199
Kiwi Dave
Beemer Boy
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Arrowtown, South Island, New Zealand
Oddometer: 119
Enjoying every turn.

Andi, Ellen,

Loving the read. I had to go back and re-read some of the Alaska stuff to get my head around some of the people you met and met again along the way. I hope the heat subsides for you both soon. Unfortunately you still have September to get through before the cooler temps of October are met. I know you will have people asking "where next" all the time so I won't bother you with that small talk. However, have you given much thought as to where you might be for the upcoming winter? Are you planning to stay on the go or perhaps drop anchor for a couple of months somewhere?

Last we spoke, before you left NZ, I said we would maybe see you in SA. Vicki and I have now officially made plans to be in Lima at the end of December 2013. Not for a big South America tour, however we do plan on following the Dakar Rally this trip. 15 days from Lima to Santiago following the big race. Exciting!! If it looks like we can stretch the budget we will continue on from Santiago down into Patagonia but I will leave this planning for much later.

Travel on safe and I will continue to follow along.

All the best to you both,
David
Arrowtown
Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #200
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Brilliant RR. So glad to see that you both are still committed to the ride and one another. And thanks for the excellent photography.
Thanks man that means a lot to us, we try with the photos but neither off us ar pros but we are having fun taking the pics.
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #201
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Dave View Post
Andi, Ellen,

Loving the read. I had to go back and re-read some of the Alaska stuff to get my head around some of the people you met and met again along the way. I hope the heat subsides for you both soon. Unfortunately you still have September to get through before the cooler temps of October are met. I know you will have people asking "where next" all the time so I won't bother you with that small talk. However, have you given much thought as to where you might be for the upcoming winter? Are you planning to stay on the go or perhaps drop anchor for a couple of months somewhere?

Last we spoke, before you left NZ, I said we would maybe see you in SA. Vicki and I have now officially made plans to be in Lima at the end of December 2013. Not for a big South America tour, however we do plan on following the Dakar Rally this trip. 15 days from Lima to Santiago following the big race. Exciting!! If it looks like we can stretch the budget we will continue on from Santiago down into Patagonia but I will leave this planning for much later.

Travel on safe and I will continue to follow along.

All the best to you both,
David
Arrowtown
Heya Dave, great to hear from you mate.

We plan to be further south by the end of December, we are planning this winter in Central America, planning to drop anchor in Guate to brush up on spanish for prolly a month or so.

We could still meet up as we talked of going to Dakar as well, not sure tho will see closer to the time.

At the mo we are stuck in Kalispell in Montana due to both engines failing badly, both bikes getting new engine cases, 3rd gear for mine and bearings!!!!

Pm me your home no and I will give you a call one evening for a catchup, cheers A
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #202
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,662
Kalispell And The Whining Post

The sole reason to come 150 miles north from Missoula was to get Hobbit and Chiwi sorted out hopefully once and for all, 3rd gear was groaning badly in my bike and had been getting progressively worse from 5000 miles until Lelends took it apart at 11000 miles.

This is an image of a 3 month old DR650



On pulling down Hobbit they found 3rd to be bad .... blue from excess heat bad with hardening coming off (what a surprise), two set of cases were supposed to have been sent to fix the oversized countershaft seal hole however only one lot turned up with some confusion with Suzuki that Ellens bike had been fixed??? .

New cases with number put back on





3rd gear, turned blue from heat, suspect from the hardening coming off and creating drag.



With 3 months to spend in the USA before our B2 VISA’s expire we have now used 3 weeks of this getting the F%&^$n Suzukis sorted out and we are not there yet, we have a good long time for our trip however our US bought bikes are now stuffing our US based trip, bearing in mind it cost us $3500 NZD with flights, application fees, interviews, time of work etc to get these so essentially it has already cost us over $583.33(approx) a month just to see the place before we had even set foot here.

So this is the whining report of broken bikes and way behind on looking at what we want to look at, we may consider extending our VISA’s providing they don’t royally rip us if we can so we can at least see the US instead of Suzuki dealerships.

Suzuki, you have a known problem, sort it out as you have now cost us a lot of time and money which we are less than impressed with, this will prevent other RTWers doing a Suzuki Shop Tour like we have been forced to do.

Lelands Suzuki, http://www.lelandshondasuzuki.com/ the non whining part, these guys are simply great to deal with and really pulled out the stops for us as best they could with red tape removal and getting stuff sorted but they too are jammed in the middle, these guys are our saving grace.

We can’t complain really as the weather has been fine and we went to Glacier park again (but should have been west and back beyond Yellowstone by now!!!) but we will, sometimes you get a shit build up and now we are at that point where prematures failures are causing us time and monetary issues and being on a budget the last thing we need is unwanted, unneeded, unnecessary failures that beat our budget up as that means something else has to give!!!!!

On brighter note Ellens riding is coming on well, we are as at writing our whinge report in a Walmart Carpark and Ellen is practicing her U turns, stops, starts etc which is cool.

Not long now and we may even be back on the road and be able to put the practice to pleasure.

New Note To Add

Today is Friday the 24th August, Lelands rang and told us that they needed a part that only a New Jersey Dealer had so it won’t be here until Saturday afternoon at best.

They wanted Ellens bike in so they can start that and make some progress, we took it in which left us stranded for wheels so they kindly lent us a DL1000 so we are leaving the country and heading back to Canada for a few days so we don’t waste any more time.

The camping ground that we have been staying at White Birch http://www.whitebirchmotelandrv.com/index.html the owner Larry has been outstanding to say the least, very friendly and accommodating and he is even looking after our gear while we are reduced back to one loner bike, Larry your support in a time where things got tight for us was mint and we really appreciate it.

Bye bye USA hello Canada ...we are BACK!!!!
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 09:01 PM
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #203
betitolara
ADV rider wannabe
 
betitolara's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Salt Spring Is, British Columbia
Oddometer: 783
Pissed Suzuki, why be like that?

Shoulda' bought a couple of BMWs... at least they run till you reach Peru before quitting *joke*

Joke aside, hope you get sorted out ASAP. I know the feeling of spending time @ dealers instead of seeing places you want to see and keep the wheels turning
Cheers and best of luck!
Alberto.
betitolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #204
Kiwi Dave
Beemer Boy
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Arrowtown, South Island, New Zealand
Oddometer: 119
Talking More from the Alps...

Andi,
You can best reach us at home on our Skype address at halecaesar1
We try to keep Skype open as we receive calls from family stateside at odd hours.
However if a phone number is what works best... 64-3-442-1999.

Keep in mind that our Dakar trip is not until the end of next year ( Dec. 2013 - Jan. 2014). NOT this coming Dakar.

It's kind of crazy as I think about this but as I write this next bit I believe most everyone reading it will relate to it someway.

This morning ( Sunday snooze) I was going through it in my head what could have possibly gone wrong with your NEW Suzuki's. Here I am on the opposite side of the world, oceans apart from your position, and I'm trying to nut-out the problems your having with the bikes.

I chalk it up to all the time I spend tinkering with bikes in my own garage, either my own or belonging to others, and as I read through your reports I try to picture myself there with you both. I just see the frustrating looks on your faces as the bike problems grow. I too would have growing concerns for the future success of the journey when having problems so early. It actually has me pissed off for you that this has happened and now I'm getting angry. Oh, and we don't mind reading your rants. You have to vent it somewhere and this place is as good as any. Besides, we get a more accurate picture of the emotions you two are going through as this drama unfolds.

You are both resourceful people and I know this unwanted hurdle will be past you soon. Making the most of what time you do have is important and it appears you are doing just that.

I think someone, somewhere once said its times like these that builds character. I recon at our age we have enough character and the only thing it builds is mountains of oily rags and bill at the end of it.

Good on you both for keeping your chin up and seeing the bigger picture. And pretty soon the good times will role again.

All the best,
David
Arrowtown
Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #205
Kiwi Dave
Beemer Boy
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Arrowtown, South Island, New Zealand
Oddometer: 119
Something I meant to ask...

Could I ask what rubber you guys are running on the Suzi's? I was trying to make out that tread pattern and it looks a lot like a Hiedenau K60. The only reason I ask is that I mounted a set of these on my GS the other day and I'm curious to see if your getting good mileage from yours. They cost as much as a set of Conti TKC80's but if they last twice as long then worth the coin.

Enough from me now,
Dave
Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #206
Carl Stark
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Sheridan WY
Oddometer: 63
New fans from Wyoming!

Just stumbled on your RR last night and stayed up way too late reading and enjoying it. Ellen, I can sooooo identify with having a bike that likes to take little naps at the most inconvenient times and places!
We road to Alaska the summer of 2011, called it the end of the road trip since we seemed to end up in places we could go no further (Prudhoe Bay, Inuvik, Kennicot, Homer, Valdez, etc), then this winter we road to Ushuaia and once again we were at the end of the road. We started this ride when I retired (guess, I was at the end of the career road, too).
All that being said, we would like to extend an invitation to host the two of you if you come through Sheridan, Wyoming. We have a spare room and shop with motorcycle lift and tools if needed.
We received help when in Alaska from Beezer and we are always trying to find ways to pay it back!
Just let us know! Jonnie and Carl
Carl Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #207
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Reporoa NZ
Oddometer: 292
Sorry to hear of your problems guys, I can relate to travelling dealership to dealership in the US too!!!

It does make me mad how Suzbloodysuki seem only able to pour everything in to their precious flagship bike and just keep regurgitating the 'bread n butter' average joe model bikes over and over again each new year. How old is the dr concept now? 20+ years I think and we still get a shitty 5 speed box, steel frame and 1900's front forks, 12L steel tank. But we keep buying them dont we?

Everytime I take a bike overseas its tested here in NZ for many Kkms before I let it go....lets break it at home if its goanna break!! Not ideal but an unfortunate necessity I think.

I do however wish you all the best, I am sure with this behind you things should be considerably easier( once its sorted a DR is nothing if not bloody reliable!!).
Good luck.
__________________
Buell Uylsses...Yes!

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Ducatijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #208
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Dave View Post
Could I ask what rubber you guys are running on the Suzi's? I was trying to make out that tread pattern and it looks a lot like a Hiedenau K60.
Heya Dave, cheers for your support mate, it has been trying time to be fair, a fine line between adventure and getting totally Fncked off with reoccurring same problem. Lets hope this put it to bed.

The tyres are indeed K60's, love em too, my rear has coming up 9000 miles and assuming my bike moves again it will do 10000 miles before spent, the F8 will be far more gentle on the rubber than the DR so I recon you have the best you can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Stark View Post
Just stumbled on your RR last night and stayed up way too late reading and enjoying it. Ellen, I can sooooo identify with having a bike that likes to take little naps at the most inconvenient times and places!
We road to Alaska the summer of 2011, called it the end of the road trip since we seemed to end up in places we could go no further (Prudhoe Bay, Inuvik, Kennicot, Homer, Valdez, etc), then this winter we road to Ushuaia and once again we were at the end of the road. We started this ride when I retired (guess, I was at the end of the career road, too).
All that being said, we would like to extend an invitation to host the two of you if you come through Sheridan, Wyoming. We have a spare room and shop with motorcycle lift and tools if needed.
We received help when in Alaska from Beezer and we are always trying to find ways to pay it back!
Just let us know! Jonnie and Carl
Heya Carl, we sure will be coming your way so would love to meet you and take up your offer, when we get out of Kalispell we will make a B line to Yellowstone as we are now a month behind for our US trip due to the breakdowns.

Will contact you closer to the time, be great to swap stories over a wine or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatijim View Post
Sorry to hear of your problems guys, I can relate to travelling dealership to dealership in the US too!!!

It does make me mad how Suzbloodysuki seem only able to pour everything in to their precious flagship bike and just keep regurgitating the 'bread n butter' average joe model bikes over and over again each new year. How old is the dr concept now? 20+ years I think and we still get a shitty 5 speed box, steel frame and 1900's front forks, 12L steel tank. But we keep buying them dont we?

Everytime I take a bike overseas its tested here in NZ for many Kkms before I let it go....lets break it at home if its goanna break!! Not ideal but an unfortunate necessity I think.

I do however wish you all the best, I am sure with this behind you things should be considerably easier( once its sorted a DR is nothing if not bloody reliable!!).
Good luck.
Heya Jim, yeah thought we would have been ok with the DR, my one in NZ has been has been motarded, adventured and generally hammered, it has been reliable as the day is long.

Maybe they are the soft option over here eh, Kiwi DR wouldn't do this

This is me on my one in NZ at Levels ... still going ...no oil leaks... just a little lighter on the left!!

__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 11:41 PM
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #209
Padmei
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,567
Kia ora lil people
Another 3rd gear to add to Nordies list.
Don't worry about us over here - The wettest winter in history is continuing & I know you'd be missing it

Stop having fun & get back to work
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #210
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Kia ora lil people

Don't worry about us over here - The wettest winter in history is continuing & I know you'd be missing it

Stop having fun & get back to work
I almost felt sorry for you but managed to snap out of it.

Yeah 3rd started whining from 5000 miles on .... it is a pretty colour tho.

Didn't know about your wettest winter, will have to have too take a looky at that.
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014