Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #2176
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Heya Trane Francks

Thanks man, South America is really well worth coming to, there are surprises in every country, some great some not so great but across the boars all good.

Ellen is enjoying the change to pillion and doesn't miss the piloting, especially here in Peru where their view on driving is way different to the rest of the world.

Ellen wanted to ride for the trip but is not a motorcycle enthusiast like me.

The big off did change things for sure, for me although harder riding two up at least I don't have to keep loooking in my mirrors all day, it also makes it easier when curiosity get me and we sneak off up some road / track to nowhere.
I'm glad that it's working out for the both of you! Thank you so much for sharing your journey and inspiring the rest of us to get out there and explore. I was talking to the wife about the possibility of such a trip once the kids are out of high school and she was positive about it. So, we'll see how it flies in a few years.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #2177
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,397
Tarma - The Cave, Gruta Huagapo

A relaxing start as sleeping beauty stayed under covers till 9.00am .

No rush, today was a local day to the caves and surrounding area.

Flinging the cases off Maya we set too only to find a massive market outside our front door, so people, please make way, there were stalls and stands everywhere, the only free bit of concrete was the footpath ... foothpath it is.

The caves are only 26 km from town and the dirt road takes you through small villages and up a valley, the caves sit at 3600 meters and the 5 minute walk to the caves seemed like a 5 hour trek.

A torch or headlight is essential, if not you can hire a guide who had a 1 candle power LED torch.

A guide and customer came in just as we got in too, so we all went in together, I had my LED lenser (made in USA and BLOODY awesome).

So here is a few photos to enjoy, not much to write about.

This waterfall greets you on arrival

Caver extraordinaire

Ellen got a dirty bum sliding down one of the slopes

It is like the temple of doom with little bridges

The entrance from the inside out

Couple of llamas on the way back, you can sit on this fellas and get your photos taken, I still prefer KTM.

....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #2178
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
I'm glad that it's working out for the both of you! Thank you so much for sharing your journey and inspiring the rest of us to get out there and explore. I was talking to the wife about the possibility of such a trip once the kids are out of high school and she was positive about it. So, we'll see how it flies in a few years.
Heya Trane Francks

Yes we are very happy despite one or two mishaps but these things happen it is all part of travelling.

We were inspired by previous travellers coming to New Zealand so it is our turn to pay it forward to the next travellers .... maybe this is you guys , also take credit for wanting to read and getting inspired as this is also heartwarming for us knowing we are not talking to thin air.

If New Zealand is on your list .... you are welcome at our home in Wanaka.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #2179
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Heya Trane Francks
Too formal. Trane will do nicely. will also work when the occasion warrants.

Quote:
Yes we are very happy despite one or two mishaps but these things happen it is all part of travelling.

We were inspired by previous travellers coming to New Zealand so it is our turn to pay it forward to the next travellers .... maybe this is you guys , also take credit for wanting to read and getting inspired as this is also heartwarming for us knowing we are not talking to thin air.

If New Zealand is on your list .... you are welcome at our home in Wanaka.
If we ever find ourselves down that way, tucker and grog will be our shout, for sure! (Gotta practice being understood. Heh!)

As well as the travel, gotta say that you've also sold me on the Jesse luggage. That looks like some great kit!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #2180
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Too formal. Trane will do nicely. will also work when the occasion warrants.

If we ever find ourselves down that way, tucker and grog will be our shout, for sure! (Gotta practice being understood. Heh!)

As well as the travel, gotta say that you've also sold me on the Jesse luggage. That looks like some great kit!
Heya Trane ... got it now

Either way you are welcome, we have great steaks, lamb and grog, we are also in the Pinot Noir grape growing district so we have great reds.

The Jesses, man I have had all sorts of luggage, these top the lot unhindered in every aspect, softies still great for one up and hard trails but for adventure touring these rock.

Good place to bang stickers on too
Old 01-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #2181
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Tarma - Camino Inca (Inca Walking Trail)

Not as famous as Machu Picchu but a nice walk, to be honest you can ride probably 90% of it ... just a problem getting down the last 10% intact.

Just to give it some authenticity ....the old guy on the right gave us directions and we gave him two toffee lollies ....he liked them

In true form from the Peruvians who didn’t have a clue they guided us completely astray, Peruvians will never say they don’t know and they will always give you directions to somewhere.

The soil at this point was very red and very orange ....mineral rich of something.

There are a couple of crazy trees with S bends

There was few ruins along the way but to be honest without sounding like a bastid sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between ruins and someone house.

These are inhabited residence, no power, no running water, they are as genuinely old school as you can get.

The crest of the valley f i n a l l y ...with ominous clouds to go

Highlight of the day, an old man took a shine to Ellen and picked her some flowers which was duly thanked with a kiss ... he was not expecting that

Total surprise from him with Ellens reaction and thanking him, he was delighted despite the look on his face (which changed after this photo) and I know she made his day

This was our collectivo taxi that picked us up, there were 8 adults and 3 children in the car , just a small Toyota station wagon .. could easy squeeze another dozen in

Old 01-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #2182
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Tarma To Concepcion

After a few days at Tarma checking out caves, ruins and Inca trails we set off south.

We were handed nothing short of a glorious day allowing us pretty good views all round, plan was Las Bolsas to stay however they wanted more than 2 x our nightly average, also it was early in the day so we decided to carry on.

Given the clear skies I had spotted an intriguing snow capped mountain poking up on the middle of nowhere, we thought we would head for this and check it out.

Our maps showed a road to the top ... perfect, Mrs.Garmin agreed so that was that we were off.

Cresting the top I missed our turnoff because we were attacked by four dogs, one managing to temporarily latch onto my pants until I thumped it with a stone from our cup, we also cracked Maya open and they couldn’t keep up, this is what we saw ... slightly cool!!.

We decided to carry on over and down the other side, the road was in excellent condition and we had it to ourselves other than one stinky truck doings its two stroke impression.

Part of the road

The road seem to go on and on, I was starting to wonder if we had done the right move, late in the afternoon we came across Lampa .... yeah.

There was one hostel being build, one that was really shite and the one we ended up at which was a complete rook for the money but she had us cornered, next accom was around 4 hours away.

This was our room, note the window is a picture frame with the glass.

This was our toilet

There was no hot water .. definitely no Wifi.

They do have a cool tow square tho with a big hat

We have mentioned the barking dogs thing prior, it is worse here in Peru than anywhere else and this night was no exception keeping both of us awake for hours (normally Ellen sleeps through a bomb blast).

I went to find the source, knocking on the door with no answer the dog was going ape, so I knocked louder and heard someone but they would not come to the door so I thumped it harder and they yelled out something which I could not understand and the dog stopped....finally.

In the morning they were not happy with me knocking on their door, the hostel owners were complaining about the dog too but didn’t want to say anything so they left it too me .

The people then said it was not their dog (trying to get out of it) and they wanted and apology, both of us with our eyeballs around our knees they got quite the opposite.

They then conceded acknowledging the dog barking and still wanted an apology ...WTF.... they got even more than they bargained for at that point.

Then leaving town four other dogs again racing out chasing us down the street with the owners just standing their looking ... no comprehension of civil minds there.

Talking with a local the previous night he said the road to Comas was no problem so we carried on and ha a great ride, getting narrow and boggy in places no vehicles had been through for quite some time so it was interesting, coupled with an assortment yet again of dogs wanting a piece of us....something in the water of this valley me thinks.

More awful views

And some fun bridges

Starting the decent

Comas appeared at around lunchtime, it was a welcome sight of seemingly normal people, lunch for the day was Coy (Guinea Pig) and it was very nicely cooked.

Maya again bought the place to a standstill with a crowd of about 15 or so very interested in the bike and us, many questions and big smiles .... almost back to Colombia.

The start of the gathering

Waving goodbye to our new found friends in Comas we hit the tar (what a treat) back to civilization and ended up in Concepcion so canned the day there getting a hostel with hot water, wifi and nice parking for Maya.

The main road back

Old 01-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #2183
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Incredible roads and scenery. Wow!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #2184
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,735
weird. beautiful pic.

cool you get to enjoy many of the sights and not just sticking to riding.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:53 PM   #2185
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Those must be "Motorcycle Trees" with all those "S" turns!!
Regards....justjeff

just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #2186
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Incredible roads and scenery. Wow!
Heya Trane

Yeah it was a great mixture of tar seal, gravels roads and some minimal off road and a pack of scenery to go with it, perfect adventure travel days
Old 01-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #2187
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
weird. beautiful pic.

cool you get to enjoy many of the sights and not just sticking to riding.
Heya Joel, yeah love the riding but also gotta stop and look around, the great thing too with having the time is we tend to do these things that others that have a tighter time frame can't do, we consider ourselves very lucky for sure
Old 01-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #2188
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Those must be "Motorcycle Trees" with all those "S" turns!!
Regards....justjeff
Heya Jeff

Yeah it would make a great supermoto circuit eh

There were two of these trees not far apart, I would love to know what/why causes/creates this unusual shape.

Either way yes it caught our eye too.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #2189
Spokin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Hi Andi and Ellen.
Nice hotel and bathrooms, definitely no Wi/Fi in that hotel,I hear a lot of the chasing dogs in Peru and barking ,I don't think thy would expect a kiwi ,pounding at their door you probably scared the crap out of them,
Pounding their head would be more appropriated,keep the writing exiting ,I am so blessed with the blue wonder I don'd have to put up with this crap,I will let you try it when we catch up. Save Riding, until then.
Norbert and Greti
Spokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #2190
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokin View Post
Hi Andi and Ellen.
Nice hotel and bathrooms, definitely no Wi/Fi in that hotel,I hear a lot of the chasing dogs in Peru and barking ,I don't think thy would expect a kiwi ,pounding at their door you probably scared the crap out of them,
Pounding their head would be more appropriated,keep the writing exiting ,I am so blessed with the blue wonder I don'd have to put up with this crap,I will let you try it when we catch up. Save Riding, until then.
Norbert and Greti
Heya Norbert, the Peruvians think we are crazy and it is fairly reciprocal from us too, can't understand their logic of doing NOTHING about any of it.

The blue wonder will help keep your sanity down here for sure, last night in a fairly pricey hotel workmen started installing electrical stuff on a concrete wall adjacent to our room at 10.30 pm ..... sounds of concrete drill, banging crashing etc.

I go out and ask why to the owner, I said we wanted to get some sleep!!! ... he looked at me like what you want to sleep here? ...WTF, he said 20 minutes to go, I said NO forcefully so they stopped.

This morning they resume and two hours on they are still going, 20 minutes eh!!