....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #2254
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by betitolara View Post

Holy macarrrrroni! glad no one was seriously hurt from the collision...

Andi, you look huge and towering over my Peruvian compatriots I'm sure they were pretty scared of the 'giant gringo in his giant bike' ... that should teach them to stay on their lane!

FANTASTIC stuff E&A Naomi and I are heading to Peru in a few weeks for some mountain adventures on 2 wheels... too bad you will be on your way south by then.

700+ days on the road already! .... unbelievable.
Cheers,
Alberto.
Heya Alberto, great to hear from you mate.

Yeap he was a little smaller than me ... so he was little

Yeap lucky no one or no bikes were injured, a good outcome.

Bum we will miss you, we are heading into Chile from here, then looping back to Bolivia in the dryer season.

Yeah 700 days, we are meant to be home now .... nother year and a bit and we will be....how do we fit back into society??

Have fun here, which part are you playing in?
Old 02-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #2255
Spokin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Hi Andi and Ellen .
Nice to se you heaving fan in the sand .
Arequpa is in my plan .we chest got into San Ignacio.after crossing at Balsa from zumba Ecuador .
Regards Norbert
Spokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #2256
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokin View Post
Hi Andi and Ellen .
Arequpa is in my plan .we chest got into San Ignacio.after crossing at Balsa from zumba Ecuador .
Regards Norbert
Heya Norbert, great stuff, be careful of the drivers here as they have different take on road rules or lack thereof here.

We are in Cusco heading south again next few days.

Head to Chile then back up to Bolivia when Salar drys out +/- April Mayish

Cheers Andi
Old 02-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #2257
cold comfort
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Likewise great to see you "heaving fan in the sand". I can imagine a few expletives there (or maybe just my uncultured response). Just did a quick whip around the block to Nelson and back thru the Rainbow with the missus so had you guys in mind when grappling with the rock gardens two up! Her response "we are going to die, so Ill just close my eyes"! Got stung beteween the eyes and lost my $500 cellphone-the joys of Adv riding eh.
Some outstanding photos of yours along the way. A selection worthy of National Geographic. ("I'd include the Coke girl for local color too).

cold comfort screwed with this post 02-15-2014 at 08:26 PM
cold comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #2258
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokin View Post
Hi Andi and Ellen .
Regards Norbert
Norbert,

You are now just 5 to 10 days out from Huanuco, depending on how much time you decide to take. Come stay with us at our B&B as Andi & Ellen did, and we will show you around!

Cheers! Toby & Sara

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #2259
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 624
hi

Hey TMK

We are finally headed back north in your direction! Need to meet again .
What are your plans we will be in Northern Argentina for a while from mid March. We plan to get to the Solar and South east Peru in June and July.

SP

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #2260
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold comfort View Post
Likewise great to see you "heaving fan in the sand". I can imagine a few expletives there (or maybe just my uncultured response). Just did a quick whip around the block to Nelson and back thru the Rainbow with the missus so had you guys in mind when grappling with the rock gardens two up! Her response "we are going to die, so Ill just close my eyes"! Got stung beteween the eyes and lost my $500 cellphone-the joys of Adv riding eh.
Some outstanding photos of yours along the way. A selection worthy of National Geographic. ("I'd include the Coke girl for local color too).
Heya Mark, great to hear from you mate, ...yeah sand .... I still haven't learnt

The Trumpy would have eaten the Rainbow road easy wouldn't it even two up, the SE is great on gravel with the long wheelbase ... it mask my bad riding

Man stung between the eyes is not good, better than being stung on the eye though ... and losing your phone

Thanks for your props on the pics, Coke is my favourite drink too
Old 02-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #2261
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by charapa View Post
Norbert,

You are now just 5 to 10 days out from Huanuco, depending on how much time you decide to take. Come stay with us at our B&B as Andi & Ellen did, and we will show you around!

Cheers! Toby & Sara
Yeap Toby and Sara coming highly recommended guys, they have helped us with parts and things too with local knowledge etc.

Huanuco is central to all the "good bits" too.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #2262
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saralou View Post
Hey TMK

We are finally headed back north in your direction! Need to meet again .
What are your plans we will be in Northern Argentina for a while from mid March. We plan to get to the Solar and South east Peru in June and July.

SP
Heya Sara and Dan

Yes we have seen the ice pics ... awesome to say the least

Meet again... definitely, land of vino tinto too.

We are exiting Peru next week or so ish down to Chile towards Santiago, then across to Mendoza and back up into Bolivia Mayish when wet season has finished.

That is Plan A, Santiago is a given to visit amigos, pick up a new Heidy etc before hitting Bolivia

......game on!!
Old 02-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #2263
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Arequipa Road 34 C

Sorry for the late report ladies and gents but we have been out and about... we haven't forgotten you tho .... promise

Great ride .... that is what we were told .....yes you know who you are.

Actually, we had fun, the first part out of town was a typical Peruvian stunt drive avoiding 10 near death experiences ... we then made it to the end of our street.

Once outa of town the road was very boney and rough and with the unfortunate pasting of rubbish ... not ideal for a national park entry.

Eventually we made it out of first gear and as we left civilization as we know it the road conditions improved that is when we saw the only vehicle for nearly 200km.

The road

Getting high

Mum nature was bein a good girl and provided us a nice clear day but very cold, we did however get to 4802 meters so high enough to be chilly even when sunny.

A cool salt lake appeared (actually I think it is always there) with some groovy colours and our cream on the cake Volcano in the distance having an eruption.

Our vantage point here was cool with a very smooth section of road for about 5 km, see the volcano having a spit

Our mission was to get to the second lake but the road turned very soft and pebbly so we chickened out as it was turning into very hard work.

Spotting a shortcut we did an overland direct to cut the triangle, we knew it would eventually go somewhere and we were right...

After nearly 1 hour of no mans land we came across the road we wanted to take back to Arequipa, this road/track however was very sandy, rocky, rough and required attention on my part.

This took us around to the lake where we only had to cross the damn to freedom however there was a monster sand drift across the road and softer than a tire with a nail in it.

Where Maya is standing was very soft, the grey stuff to the right was very sinky

At this point we had already wrestled several sandpits and were tiring a bit.

With NO way through for us there we turned back and took a side track that had not been used for years by the looks of it, it too was bloody soft and required Ellen pushing and me gunning the throttle and cutting a trench for about 100 meters, sweatin and grunting we finally made it to an almost flat part desperate for a breather (noting we are at 4600 meters, 15100 ft here).

(whose dumb idea was this )

Gob of water and a toffee cafe lolly and we were back into it, TMK Peruvian Dakar overland non race, getting Maya up on top of the sand was a mission and we were surprised how much a 3/4 spent Heidenau can dig however we get get up and skimming riding directly up and across a plateau in search of a another possible way.

We had spotted a turnoff some km back and were hoping to catch this one as well, persistence pays and soon enough we were united with a sandy track, this wasn’t a total get out of jail free card but it was superior to our other options which was ride back 150km from where we came from or try and cross the super drift.

All tracks here are just sand of varying degrees of hardship

We plucked our way around sandpits and rock gardens and finally got to the dam, crossed the dam to freedom and came up behind a locked gate...no worries, quick ride around the gate through the sand and we were on the home straight, only 68 km of bone jarring, filling dropping track to go.

By this time the cloud had set in with a bitey little smattering of fog and a lacing of chilly rain to cap it off so we were keen to drop some altitude, eventually it started to drop and we could see sun then in the distance Arequipa.

With the last part of the ride under sun it was pleasant but our return time saw us re enter town at rip hour ....hmmm, no prob, no cases, no rules other than to get there.

Happy to park Maya up, sit in the sun for a while and have a bloody good hot shower.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #2264
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 624
Tmk

Great we should be in Santiago before the end of Feb. email Motoaventura about the tires as they are having a hard time keeping the Heidenau in stock. I had to wait for the rear they promised they had. We will get a bit of work done at Johnny moto also. We did not have time for steering head bearings last time we were there.

Sara

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #2265
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saralou View Post
Great we should be in Santiago before the end of Feb. email Motoaventura about the tires as they are having a hard time keeping the Heidenau in stock. I had to wait for the rear they promised they had. We will get a bit of work done at Johnny moto also. We did not have time for steering head bearings last time we were there.

Sara
Heya Sara, coolio keep in contact and we can catch up, we too are using Santiago for a valve check etc, Maya is in good health otherwise and all our parts (new chain etc) arrived from the USA so we will be flash as Michael Jackson soon.

Have contacted Motoadventura, waiting to hear back, fingers crossed.