Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #2281
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Your pictures never stop amazing me! What an epic adventure you two are on. It seemed like a lifetime ago that we were helping Ellen pick up her bike in Chicken Alaska when you two first rode in and we met
Ride on brother!
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #2282
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
Excellent photos of MP. I was there in May and it wasn't that green!
What you called the discovery cave was apparently covered in gold at one point in time, I took the 5 day Inca trail hike with a guide and he explained a lot of things about the Incas.The guided walk was $300.00 and included 3 gourmets meals a day and the sherpas carried all the gear plus the entrance fee was covered. The hike covers many,many more ruins while en route!!
Saludos
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #2283
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
while in Cusco we reloaded with camping gear so we are set for camping again, our gear not as good quality but hopefully will see us through.

Having received all our parts I set too and made storage for all the components within our bashplate so keeping the weight low and secure, a few other adjustments and maintenance we are ready to ride.
What camping equipment did you get? How did you pack it on Maya? Pics!!
salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #2284
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,713
haven't have the time to catch up. finally. thanks andi and ellen for keeping up to date.

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #2285
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettalique View Post
Beautiful photos Andy. Interesting your thoughts on MP. When I was in south western China a few years ago I thought everything was a theme park to them and you had to pay to get to see anything worthwhile and yet the accommodation was cheap but shit. In Aus or NZ it's free to look at but the accommodation is expensive and good....so I spose choose one.
Heya mettalique

Thanks man, appreciate your comments
Yes MP, don't get us wrong it is neat but just a little oversold ...again only our opinion having experienced Kuelap as well.

Yes China is similar, but when your wife is from there .... but their prices are still way less than MP.

Oz and NZ, yeah pile into anything for free and get stung for accom, we NEVER stay in hotels or motels in NZ, that is why we have hosted many RTW travellers as we understand the budget aspect all to well in NZ.

As you point out you can choose ya poison eh
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #2286
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajeff View Post
Your pictures never stop amazing me! What an epic adventure you two are on. It seemed like a lifetime ago that we were helping Ellen pick up her bike in Chicken Alaska when you two first rode in and we met
Ride on brother!
Heya Jeff, again thank you so much, appreciation of pics etc means a lot to us too

That was a long time ago with that grand entry by Ellen , that would be 700 days ago!!! ... we are still sportingly carrying our CHICKEN sticker with pride

Lots more to see yet mate, got a year to get to Ushuaia and beyond.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #2287
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Excellent photos of MP. I was there in May and it wasn't that green!
What you called the discovery cave was apparently covered in gold at one point in time, I took the 5 day Inca trail hike with a guide and he explained a lot of things about the Incas.The guided walk was $300.00 and included 3 gourmets meals a day and the sherpas carried all the gear plus the entrance fee was covered. The hike covers many,many more ruins while en route!!
Saludos
Heya Cal, thank you too, some bonuses of being there in the wet season I spose, the ground was fairly wet under foot, also not so many people.

We looked at the hike but for two of us they were wanting $400 US each .. so much for "off" season, we ended up doing the dutchie way which was still good and we were lucky in rainy season to have a reasonably good day.

Apparently there are many more tucked in them there hills but guessing not as "spectacular" as MP
Old 02-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #2288
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvadorfrieri View Post
What camping equipment did you get? How did you pack it on Maya? Pics!!
Heya Salvi

Our three backup vehicle are carrying them for us

So,

Tent, Doite Tolima 2 man, 3 kg

Sleeping bags, Nikko -6 bags 1.1 kg each

Self inflating mattresses, Doite 30 mm, .8 kg each

Cooker, MSR Whisperlite (Second hand)

We had tucked in our boxes two Wolfman large tank panniers which we were saving for our clothes (with the vision of reloading camping stuff), we also have our small mountain bike backpack with water filler etc stashed and we had our rolly waterproof bag however some bastid nicked it in Cusco ... less to carry I spose.

So all in all, taking out the bags we had stashed everything fits inside the Jesse boxes camping wise, now we have a 3/4 full Wolfman on each pannier with our clothes in them, the small empty backpack sits on top of the back case.

Total extra weight is about 7.8 kg for all of the above.

We mounted the MSR fuel bottle and a 1 liter water bottle on the back of the cases in good quality bicycle drink cages, much cheaper than TT and get em anywhere.

Am crook with a monsta headcold so off the road a for a few days to recover, will ping some pics up when we get on the road again.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #2289
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
haven't have the time to catch up. finally. thanks andi and ellen for keeping up to date.

Heya Joel, you are welcome, hopefully the time was well spent.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #2290
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Free Way In To Macchu Picchu

All you have to do is cross this we creek and climb up the small bank on the other side.

Save ya $50 bucks

Old 02-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #2291
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,617
One can almost hear the roar of the water.

The majority of your pictures are well beyond the snap-shot class.
Thanks for this RR.

I am currently using the steaming earth pics as screen savers.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #2292
bent forks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
ice land

You just made this up

Eyjafjallajökull

didn't you

"Tragically imprisoned by a Canadian winter" Lappeman
bent forks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #2293
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
One can almost hear the roar of the water.

The majority of your pictures are well beyond the snap-shot class.
Thanks for this RR.

I am currently using the steaming earth pics as screen savers.
Heya OldPete ..., steaming earth .... well at least some of it is useful eh

Super loud by the river for sure, thanks you for joining us dude .
Old 02-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #2294
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Eyjafjallajökull

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent forks View Post
You just made this up

Eyjafjallajökull

didn't you.

Actually no, we were there in 2010 for some action and it is as real as our bike, here is a Wiki thingie.

Just Google Eyjafjallajökull eruptions 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_er...llaj%C3%B6kull

Pronounced Egya fellya yokolt
Old 02-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #2295
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Cusco To Lampa To Puno

Assuming bent forks you are cool with Iceland now? fantastic place

Cusco, tourist trap but its ok, look past the people jumping out at you every ten seconds to sell stuff and you will see the nicer side.

Arequipa was huge for us, Cusco definitely smaller and easier but still having the goodies of a big city and particularly camping stuff due to the nature of the area.

Small original skinny streets

Beautiful church in the square

Some wild clouds in the distance teasing us with the look of rain

The famous Norton Rats pub

TMK proudly joining the other RTW tarvellers on the door

We ended up staying longer with one thing and another and to be fair we enjoyed the place, we also had the pleasure of meeting up with Phil (Ulti Ride) who was recovering from a crash, a coupla grogs and an evening chat bodged out in beanbags ... bloody awesome!!!

Chicas caliente (hot chicks) riding the police bikes, almost worth committing a crime for

Our BDCW bash plate is now full of disc pads, we tried to get good quality pads here in Peru but no bueno, we can get em but they only lasted 1600 km being churned around in the Peruvian muck.

Thanks to the good hearted TeeVee fello ADVer he sent down the good stuff including an xring chain and an Icebreaker T shirt ... life can resume now.

Our hostel man had a drill and kindly lent it to us to do the work, very nice guy indeed, we also mounted the fuel bottle out back on cycle bottle holder so it was a big round to complete and we completed it.

The only downside is some bastid stole our orange rolly waterproof backpack/bag, wankers, not worth much but nearly impossible to replace here.

Our gear that was sent down from the USA by TeeVee was sent to Alex at Peru Moto www.perumototours.com/ he kindly took delivery of our box of goodies and kept it there till we got back to Cusco. Now there is quite a good moto syndicate here in Peru so you won’t be left alone in the cold wondering, just ask and you will find help no worries.

Us with Alex at his shop

Loaded up and ready to go we waved goodbye to new found friends and set off into the distance, big distance it was too, 330 km, monsta day for us but mostly on tar so easy peasy, as luck would have it we snuck through the cloud banks and had a water free day....noice.

A chance meeting on the road we saw two bike stopped so we stopped to see if they were ok or needed help.

Turns out the Varedaro was playing up a bit but they had it under control so smiles, handshakes, dodgy dealings with sticker swaps and we were on our way again.

Great guys and they own a pub so we hope to catch up with them in Brasil

Arriving in Lampa we did the usual hostel thing, by this time I had developed a pretty chunky head cold and feeling considerably second hand.

With no wifi etc we decided to carry on the next day, if I am gonna be crook in bed may as well do RR’s and pics so the 77 road km was welcome with me being off shade.

While is Lampa we where treated to Peru's hottest boy band doing a Milli Vanilli lip sync .... he he .....you old buggas know who I am talking about ... young punks use goooooogle so there they were with there 10 inch boom box singing to their studio prerecorded song, was kinda cool really cos it did remind me of Milli Vanilli at the time, another blast from the past ... in Lampa

We plugged Mrs.Garmin to Puno, hit cruze control and had a sleep to Puno ..... one thing kept me awake .... we were heading home???WTF

We are riding at 3863 meters so 109 meters higher than Mount Cook (the highest point in New Zealand) (Nueva Zelandia in Spanish) and we are only 68 km away, huge saving on shipping!!!

Anyway, just thought I would share this 8th wonder of the world.

Into Puno, planned on staying one night but my head cold had thickened and gone for the jugular so I am burnt out, the nice people at the hostel turned out to be not nice people at the hostile charging extra for towels, soap and they wanted $10 soles (4 x a professional car park) to park Maya which they had seen us rock up on and showed us where to park and said nothing about more for her, the discussion at entry and the quote to stay with no mention of the “extras” so we did not stay the next night choosing to go around the corner for normal treatment, turns out they lost out on 4 extra nights, again great business tactics to a white face and they lose.

Next hostel, n o i c e, not much to add to make it sound groovy other than nice people, good wifi proper hot water and parking for Maya included