ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 11:23 PM   #2311
moto74
Displaced
 
moto74's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: BOP, NZ
Oddometer: 134
I'm with you - your response was appropriate to the situation.
moto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:46 AM   #2312
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Trane Francks's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto74 View Post
I'm with you - your response was appropriate to the situation.
Agreed!
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #2313
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto74 View Post
I'm with you - your response was appropriate to the situation.
Thanks, yeah if we just ran into them with a fighting spirit then you get your dues but when the majority say paso then you do wonder the merits
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #2314
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
Agreed!
Thanks Trane, I know there are some who would rather get smacked rather than risk defending yourself and possibly upsetting someone but at 4000 meters with nighttime setting in, cold and still a ways to go your mind turns to ones self and the interests as such.
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #2315
RMOTO
Doing secret stuff
 
RMOTO's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 185
Aside from the interesting story of nearly going "David Tua" on the protesting locals, I'm in awe of this mighty road block; what an engineering masterpiece!!

__________________
Releasing RemoteMoto soon, so very very soon...
RMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #2316
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Trane Francks's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Thanks Trane, I know there are some who would rather get smacked rather than risk defending yourself and possibly upsetting someone but at 4000 meters with nighttime setting in, cold and still a ways to go your mind turns to ones self and the interests as such.
It's worth remembering that the 'crack' of the whip is caused by the tip speed exceeding the speed of sound. Anybody on the receiving end of a well-placed towel snap can attest to the immediacy of the experience. Being on the receiving end of a genuine whip, regardless of how poorly wielded, is not something I'd take lightly.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #2317
Kiwi Dave
Beemer Boy
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Arrowtown, South Island, New Zealand
Oddometer: 119
Raod Blocks

Hi Guys,
We encountered quite a bit of the road block nonsence in B.A. back in January. It had to do with power cuts. The power company was literally switching off power to various parts of the city every day, unannounced, for whatever reason. The residence from these areas would then march into the street, highways and major intersections of that neighborhood and protest. We were very lucky to have a taxi driver that knew the hood well and was able to divert around the mayhem using all the smaller streets.
The protest never got violent but there was a lot of junk being burnt. In some instances the main arterial highways through the city would get blocked by buses turned sideways and this would create a five mile back up of traffic. Rush Hour traffic in 40C heat. I tipped our taxi driver well.
Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #2318
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
Aside from the interesting story of nearly going "David Tua" on the protesting locals, I'm in awe of this mighty road block; what an engineering masterpiece!!
Yes they should co-ordinate their yes and no effort so we know what they are actually thinking

The mighty road block, well they did get better as time went on and rock were more available, the coke bottle is what really scared me and nearly stopped us in our tracks
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #2319
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
It's worth remembering that the 'crack' of the whip is caused by the tip speed exceeding the speed of sound. Anybody on the receiving end of a well-placed towel snap can attest to the immediacy of the experience. Being on the receiving end of a genuine whip, regardless of how poorly wielded, is not something I'd take lightly.
Hmmm ... wet towel rat tailed .... make for good fights ...when you come and stay with us in New Zealand we can give it a "crack" .. few wines first

Yes seen what whips do hence I got his collar and broke his path.
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #2320
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Dave View Post
Hi Guys,
We encountered quite a bit of the road block nonsence in B.A. back in January. It had to do with power cuts. The power company was literally switching off power to various parts of the city every day, unannounced, for whatever reason. The residence from these areas would then march into the street, highways and major intersections of that neighborhood and protest. We were very lucky to have a taxi driver that knew the hood well and was able to divert around the mayhem using all the smaller streets.
The protest never got violent but there was a lot of junk being burnt. In some instances the main arterial highways through the city would get blocked by buses turned sideways and this would create a five mile back up of traffic. Rush Hour traffic in 40C heat. I tipped our taxi driver well.
Heya Dave, sounds like you had fun with it too, yeah 40 deg heat would not be fun even in a taxi but specially sitting on a 950 cc heater trying to keep its cool.

Into Argentina tomorrow for our first taste of the place, been in the back blocks of Chile doing 460 km without fuel at 4500 meters so mileage is less, got a 30 liter tank on which has expanded slightly and we fitted nearly 31 liters in there, when I shook the bike (prior to filling) there was barely a slosh

With front and rear tank we can get a range of about 690 km but when chugging around in the sticks ... less.

Pleased to be in a town tonight with Wifi and shower, bush camping three nights ....needs a wash

Cheers mate .... keep NZ going while we are away.
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #2321
just jeff
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: LacLaBiche Alberta Canada
Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Heya Dave, sounds like you had fun with it too, yeah 40 deg heat would not be fun even in a taxi but specially sitting on a 950 cc heater trying to keep its cool.

Into Argentina tomorrow for our first taste of the place, been in the back blocks of Chile doing 460 km without fuel at 4500 meters so mileage is less, got a 30 liter tank on which has expanded slightly and we fitted nearly 31 liters in there, when I shook the bike (prior to filling) there was barely a slosh

With front and rear tank we can get a range of about 690 km but when chugging around in the sticks ... less.

Pleased to be in a town tonight with Wifi and shower, bush camping three nights, Maya needs a wash

Cheers mate .... keep NZ going while we are away.
There fixt it for ya!!
Regards....just jeff

P.S. Was -30c here last night again! Sure wish Winter would migrate South sometime soon!
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:40 AM   #2322
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
There fixt it for ya!!
Regards....just jeff

P.S. Was -30c here last night again! Sure wish Winter would migrate South sometime soon!
....yes she does too

Slept in a bed, with a pillow, sit on toilet, hot shower ... l u x u r y

In the desert here Jeff at 3900 meters we woke to a coating of white fluff on Maya, no sure how low is was, certainly NOT -30 degs tho, maybe -5 or so.
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #2323
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!
 
vabuckaroo68's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Locust Dale, VA
Oddometer: 1,116
Where's Mad Max when you need him?!
__________________
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied- "If you seek for Eldorado!" E.A.P. 1849
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #2324
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Trane Francks's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Hmmm ... wet towel rat tailed .... make for good fights ...when you come and stay with us in New Zealand we can give it a "crack" .. few wines first

Yes seen what whips do hence I got his collar and broke his path.
Heh! Wine's good. Let's stick to inanimate objects for the destruction, though. We take water deliveries that hold 12 litres per cardboard box. On a good strike, I can hole the side of the box in one go. Skin doesn't stand a chance.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #2325
HackyMoto
TEAMUSAGSTROPHY2012
 
HackyMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Oh it's you! Anchorage, Alaska 99507
Oddometer: 1,046
Hi you two it’s been a while I’ve been caching up on some of your travels Hell of a good time
I’m thinking in the last set of pics.

The people where having some kind of memorial and the rocks are there to slow people down.
There were water bottles at the foot of some mound of rocks in one photo. for good luck?
I think it was about a Argentina woman long ago that crosses the desert without water only to parish a short distances to water. It is believed to be good luck for leaving water at memorial sites. (If you can confirm this that would be great).
I see your Headed to Argentina If you are in the area I have a friends that run a Hostel. Felipe and Val. Yauguru Meliquina Hostel. They are moto people and know the area very well. That is all Gruve On
__________________
Team Pterodactyl
Hooligan Division
Ride hard or stay home!

Sponsor
alaskaleather.com

Join Smugmug save 5 bucks coupon(uADB4GsV1gfKM)
HackyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014