User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #226
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,499
Teton And Yellowstone

Teton tops, stunning and abrupt, the camera could not do this place justice and nor can my writing, the recommendation is to go there.

Jenny Lake

So Yellowstone was raved about by many thus it was on our list of must do’s.There is some real beauty and the thermal works are pretty cool.

On entering the park we were greeted by a fat man in the booth who would not let Ellen in until she has signed our National Parks pass for her bike.... WTF ... her bike wasn’t signed???

So he (Park Ranger Booth Police) says she can’t come in,

Me, why not?

PRBP, she has not signed the card

Me, ok chuck us a pen

PRBP, reluctantly puts card on clip board with a pen and passes it too me

Me, pass it to Ellen

Ellen, signs it!

Me, Ellen passes it back

(Interuption) at least 8 cars behind us

Me, pass the clip board back with the signed card

PRBP, unhappily passes me back our card, I then ask for a park map, he says we can have two, I politely say one will do fine ... yet again he was put out ..... Hmmmmm nutha person who needs a job that does not involve people, maybe it is his sister in Mezadian Camp!!.

Eventually we leave the booth after the card fiasco, funny thing is he did not even ask for ID!!!

Mammoth was our destination for the evening so we cruised the park with everyone else at 20 mph and stopped and took it all in.

I am feeling a little inadequate now

Neat camp site at Mammoth with flush toilets and a great host and hot springs only 2 minutes down the road...perfect.

The hot springs we visited three times as we ended up staying a second night after deciding that we wanted to see the rest of the park so we left our camp set up which made sense.

ADV salute

Cool wee cave

During the evening at the hot pools one of the Feds put a note on Ellens bike saying it was parked illegally and that her plate had been called in for “Driving Recklessly”, there were no “No Parking” signs and we were on the edge of the carpark so we can’t quite figure out if they were pulling the piss or not, secondly I am not sure where Ellen Recklessly drove although I did see her mindlessly and recklessly accelerate from 20mph to 22mph at one stage.

On one of the walks we went to the Ranger lady said we can’t park in the car park because if someone came in in a 12 meter motorhome there would not be much room!!!! ... .and she was serious .... I was waiting for some smart bastid to pop out of the bush with a camera and say “You Have Been Punked”, anyway treat it as a joke but mate the Feds in that park don’t have a sense of humour or even a personality.

How to spoil a beautiful place, just add Park Ranger, give him/her a stupid hat and $1.00 dollar store badge and they think they are Starsky and Hutch.

Mammoth hot pools, go there, absolutely great and so relaxing, can’t recommend that enough and certainly after Recklessly Driving at 20 mph in Yellowstone all day, stunting for that long is just hard work.

From Yellowstone we left on 212 to Beartooth Pass, that is one seriously high road and fantastic views, there were many forest fire burning so vision was restricted but being there on the top of the world was awesome.

At the base of Beartooth we stopped at road works behind two dodgy dudes on Wings, we said giddays etc then on our merry way to Red Lodge, we did some fud shopping then it was agreed that a nice coffee would top it off before heading to find camp.

We pulled in on the main street and saw the two dodgy Wings parked there, at that point the owner (Jim) came out and over to us, interested in what we were doing he offered to buy us lunch, we agreed on a coffee ..... that is what we wanted.

On completion of their lunch we walked to a coffee shop and were treated to a coffee by Paul and Jim, two mate on a road trip.

We sat and talked for maybe two hours when the shop lady said she needed to boot us out at closing time in 4 minutes ... we read the body language and took the subtle hint ... we said thanks and goodbyes to Paul and Jim, great guys and great afternoon, many thanks guys, just the stop we needed to relax and get energized.

Dead Indian Camp was calling so we hunkered down and got there, we were treated to a magic sunset over the pass just before the camp with the forest fire making for an excellent backdrop of colours ... out came Two Photo Kiwis again.

Arriving at camp we were greeted by the host and a fello ADVer Keith, we all sat round the camp fire and had a yarn, drunk wine and beer ... it was harsh but we managed it.

The following morning Keith gave us some great local info on backroad to Bonneville and he said he would ride with us up to Beartooth where he would turn right, we were ready to go but his KTM 950 was reluctant with the cooler morning so the mighty DR came to the rescue to jump start the KTM .... success and we were on our way.

During our return visit back through the Waterfalls area we followed a R100PD into the parking lot only to find out it was Ken and Carol Duval, what an absolute treat to bump into these guys.

Later that day we caught up with Keith back at his home in Jackson as he invited us to put a tent up in his yard which was well cool.

Thanks to Keith for having us and we look forward to seeing you again sometime.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #227
950TRANSALP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Thumb Geat Folks havin' a GEAT trip !

Good to meet you two !

Thanks for the mornin jump ! Odyssey battery blows eh ...

Good to see you made Bonniville and the trip down there not to shabby eh ?!

Was the Mex cantina open ?

Moab treat you well I hope !

Happy Tails Mates ! !
Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #228
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer: 290
I am seriously jealous of you guys getting over Beartooth....I timed my trip to just make the opening; memorial weekend, we burned off some time in the area waiting for the friday to come....then the weather fell over and it was likely fog and sno opening day so we bailed for Montana via a lower pass(9600') over which it was snowing!!
We never would have made it over Beartooth if we had waited.
Next trip( not so early!!)?

Loving it Andi & Ellen.

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Ducatijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #229
Bruce H
Bruce H

Oddometer: 155
jellystone

The attitude at Yellowstone doesn't suprise me. Been there done that and ain't going back. Sure was pretty though.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #230
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,372
Wicked Snow here Andi and Ellen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
The attitude at Yellowstone doesn't suprise me. Been there done that and ain't going back. Sure was pretty though.
I went there , only reason I went back a second time was that it was quicker to go thru the park than around it , I thought it was overated and very untidy compared to parks in Utah . The campsites were overgrown and a fire hazard , the yogi bears ( rangers ) were more interested in fineing campers for leaving food out than making u welcome or cleaning up the place . I meet up with a neat couple on top of the Beartooth on an old Triumph Bonnerville and camped with them that night. Just had a bit of snow here at Te Anau , skiers will like it Cheers Toddy
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #231
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
An ADV tentspace sleepover and nobody painted Q's toenails? Hmph.

Yeah I had run out of my Kincrome Yello so he would match our cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post

Hum the salt flats....that's where Ken was heading when he met the US border guards.
We had good fun on the flats, lots of vehicles lining up for the racing the following day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkycamNZ View Post
Right oh then, what speed did you get out of the DRs on the salt?? From your Spot tracks, looks like you had 7-8ks to get them wound up.
Seem as Eleln had been told off for recklessly driving at 20 mph we thought we better not push our luck ... besides this is Burts place ... don't wonna show him up and the scrutinizers wanted me to take of the tent and Yoda chair in case it flew off at 200mph.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #232
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatijim View Post
I am seriously jealous of you guys getting over Beartooth....I timed my trip to just make the opening; memorial weekend, we burned off some time in the area waiting for the friday to come....then the weather fell over and it was likely fog and sno opening day so we bailed for Montana via a lower pass(9600') over which it was snowing!!
We never would have made it over Beartooth if we had waited.
Next trip( not so early!!)?

Loving it Andi & Ellen.
Heya Jim, yeah it was really neat mate, my GPS topped out at 10988 .. I wanted to see 11 .. never mind, even with the smoke we had great views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Yellowstone was nice but we both felt let down by the (st)rangers, agree nice but overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav2 View Post
I went there , only reason I went back a second time was that it was quicker to go thru the park than around it , I thought it was overated and very untidy compared to parks in Utah . The campsites were overgrown and a fire hazard , the yogi bears ( rangers ) were more interested in fineing campers for leaving food out than making u welcome or cleaning up the place . I meet up with a neat couple on top of the Beartooth on an old Triumph Bonnerville and camped with them that night. Just had a bit of snow here at Te Anau , skiers will like it Cheers Toddy
Interesting you found the same Toddy, sounds like winter is a little there bro.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #233
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 950TRANSALP View Post
Good to meet you two !

Thanks for the mornin jump ! Odyssey battery blows eh ...

Good to see you made Bonniville and the trip down there not to shabby eh ?!

Was the Mex cantina open ?

Moab treat you well I hope !

Happy Tails Mates ! !
Heya Keith, not normally into jumping men but anything for and ADVer

We didn't do Mexican unfortunately, running shy on time we bailed and travelled into the evening to get to camp, we are in Moab now ... looking for two new case for Ellen .. more to come.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #234
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 645
whatever you do, DO NOT skip riding through Capitol Reef NP (Hwy 24), Grand Staircase Escalante NP (Hwy 12), and then down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Plenty of dual sport roads too, never forget to get gas when it's available. Great RR, really enjoyin it.

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #235
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Jackson To Bonneville Salt Flats To Moab

The day started with a breakfast at the local, we shouted our host Keith out for having us stay and giving us help.

On completion of breakfast we said goodbye to Keith as he had to go to work, Ellen and I set off back home to pack up and head South on the roads/track Keith had suggested but while in town we did the touristy photo thing.

Jim and Paul (the dodgy wing dudes) surprised us when they turned up, turns out that they too had stayed the night in Jackson, they had looked at our TMK page and looked on Spot only to find we were only a few hundred metres apart, well they set to, followed the directions and saw the bikes, well done guys and great to catch you up again.

A yarn was had and hugs goodbye and they were on their way and we carried on, packed up and set off South toward Bonneville and to stop half way at a camp near Snowville.

We took various back roads and made a couple of mistakes and ended up heading over a goat track which turned out to be quite fun.

Part of our mission in the space programme was to check up on Rover and see what photos it had taken, couldn't find him tho .. .sorry NASA.

We arrived at camp a little late but enough light to put up the tent etc.

Following morning with Bonneville in our sights we took a shortcut across the plains on shingle roads etc, we travelled 75 miles without seeing a soul, tar seal was in front of us for some 20 miles then off into the gravel again.

The road was corrugated to hell and smooth in other sections, we did manage to find one of three trees to have lunch under in the shadows before hitting the big desert to Bonneville.

On arriving at Bonneville we went out on the the flat where Burt made us proud, for locals to get in it was $20.00 bucks ... for Kiwis it was free!!

On ya Burt!!!

We carried on out through salty water and salt crystals which soon caked the bikes sticking like shit to a blanket... who woulda thought eh.

We checked out the srutineering tents and there was some seriously high powered vehicle ranging from bikes, car to trucks, they even have a 200 mph tent!!

Ellen and I had our own we race, her riding skill improving to Motard level.... really traction able eh

As we were short on time with our bike failures scoffing nearly a month of our US trip we decided to hit the road to Cantville where we set up for the night.

Next morning we literally hightailed it down to Moab to our next wanted destination, the only highlight was watching a tire blow out and off only metres in front of me with rubber and smoke everywhere, luckily I was not hit by the flying rubber that flew past me.

Secondly was the truck that rolled and caught fire which was front page news, we didn’t see it happen tho.

Moab was hot on arrival and we set up in a RV park which had Wifi and hot showers so a bit of a treat really.

We met two ADV fellos there as well on Triumphs so ended up having chats to them.

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 09:10 PM
Old 09-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #236
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,303
Jeez, if you guys keep that up you'll need some new knee sliders soon.

Great to see the updates, keep em coming.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #237
crimbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
they even have a 200 mph tent!!
Now that IS fast for a tent, what has it got under the awning?
crimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #238
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,372
Wicked Moab

Yes there is a lot of good riding to be done at Moab . Only regret I have from there was not riding all the White Rim Trail . If u decide to do it I think anti clockwise is the way to go . Someone else might confirm that . One not so fond memory was getting all pear shaped riding down Pucker Pass , the Yogi Bear said I would have fun going home that way . I got my cars running today then put the battery in the DR and tried to start it and it went Rr Rr Rr click click . Bugger , I have to pull starter out and give it a make over, with 70,000 miles on it i guess it deserves it . It might be pissed off it had to spend winter in the cold garage and not inside the house . Ride safe Toddy
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #239
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer: 290
"Next morning we literally hightailed it down to Moab to our next wanted destination, the only highlight was watching a tire blow out and off only metres in front of me with rubber and smoke everywhere, luckily I was not hit by the flying rubber that flew past me."

That must be a common occurance- happened to me on the interstate between Chicago and Milwaulkee! Lots of evidence scattered along most highways we saw !!!

Bet you will see some corrosion from all that salt thrown over the bikes!!! But you wouldnt want to miss such an oppotunity.

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Ducatijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #240
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Moab - White Rim Trail - Ellens Crash(s)

Day One

Whoa what day, started out ok with a leisurely ride to Canyonland Park in beautiful weather, today was going to be picture taking and rider training at Ellens request.

The plan was to ride Moabs famous White Rim Trail which is used by 4 wheelers, MTBrs and Adv bikers.

To be fair it is not very hard but you have to keep your mind on the job so you don’t ride off a cliff literally! ... and they are big heights in some cases 100’s of metres.

Ellen fell at various points along the way in the sandpits and technical sections, the worst we broke her windscreen extension.

At one point she fell 4 times in 30 meter or 100 feet, it was very hot, patience were wearing a little thin and words were said.

Only 3 miles from what was to be our camp site at half way Ellen binned her bike very badly on a steepish short ascent, somehow she turned the bike 90 degrees to the tracked and gased it ending up hanging of the edge of a small drop luckily not going any further.

First assessment was that Ellen was OK, second was to check Chiwis health, at first glance the right hand case was smashed open and crooked, the tool tube had taken a hell of a hiding and was in bad shape and the highway peg set was bet, the Barkbuster saved the day again and it took a kingpin hit on hard rock.

The next mission was to try and right Chiwi and get her back on the track WITHOUT dropping her over the edge, if that had happened we would have had to set camp and just wait for help, no cellphone coverage etc and we were nearly at the midpoint of the 110 mile circuit.

We tried our rope but could not budge her, we emptied her of the top box, removed the food bag and left case, eventually with much grunting and pulling we managed to get the front wheel back on terafirma then back onto the track, we managed to get her started and take her up to the more level section to execute at least temporary repairs so we could get to camp.

On inspection of the right case it had been split open at the front, the full length hinge on the Kincrome case saved the day by not letting go completely and my kiwimade timber crash bars paid their way again but not enough to save the case.

The tool tube took an absolute beating and the hit S shaped the aluminium cover on the right hand side, the hinge was bent and the ABS plastic was ground back pretty badly, the aluminium swiping itself off on the bedrock on the way passed.

We levered the case back into shape, luckily with the heat of the day this helped with getting it sorted.

The tool tube lid I removed and beat back out flat on some flat rocks with another rock ... who needs a hammer?!!!

The tool tube will never shut properly now or keep water out as it has lost a lot of the plastic and aluminium to mum natures abrasive Moab rock.

The camp was a welcome site and we set too with Krazy glue and RTV, hopefully this will hold at least until we can get some plastic welding done, we straightened everything out as best as we could and made things function.

The camp area was very cool allowing us to take advantage of being in a beautiful place for the evening

Some really groovy trees

Beautiful sunset

The night time provided with some stars to play with photography ... not too bad for a wee camera.

A couple of us after doing repairs and settling down for the evening

Day Two

Ellen at sunrise ready to race (or jump off the cliff)

An early start was on the cards having not even made it half way due to Ellens cliffhanger episode, a quick breakfast, no coffee as we did not have enough for coffee and to fill our packs, filling our pack was way more important so that won.

Only two minutes out of camp Ellen lost the bike to a sandpit, one of many that were to come, all the good work with glue etc was undone in an instant and added to the damage quite badly due to the weakened case.

The trip to be fair was turning into torment for me as I spent half the trip going back and forth and picking her bike up and slowly watching it get wrecked.

Ellen took a pretty good binning on the left hand side as well, this time smashing the front out of the left box, again there was more binnings which saw the case get damaged further.

There were really neat rocks and formations as well as spectacular backdrops

We ended up having a break and scoffing chocolate coated coffee beans for energy as picking the bike up again and again in 38 degree heat knocks it out of you pretty quickly.

We eventually made it out totally shattered and luckily we only ran out of water just as wee hit the road back to Moab, on returning to the camp we had hot showers, and BIG guzzle on Coke to take in the damage.

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 09:21 PM