Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #2476
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoUpTourer View Post
Hi Andi
I just recently got a SPOT Connect for a trip up through centre of Oz later this year, and I'm wondering how long you get out of a pair of batteries with yours?

Are you using the Lithium Energizers as Spot recommend? Expensive buggers, but I recently found out the chinese company that makes them, and they sell to their local market branded with their own name, for $3.50/pair delivered.

Great calendar pics Ellen - not surprised you got two in, as you really have had some spectacular ones over the trip, some of which grace our lunch room pinboard at work at times!
cheers
John
Heya John

We use Eneloop rechargeables, I think 1100mha, they last about five days then we recharge them.

For us to get good batteries is hard and I don't want to carry kilos of batteries ... not to mention the waste factor of biffing them out when they are spent.

We carry 2 small USB battery chargers that charge AA and AAA so can do four batteries at a time, we have a USB outlet and a ciggy socket on Maya with a USB attachment if we caught out in the sticks.

Trevor Angel used our USB outlets at the GP to charge his iphone with great success

Rest of the time hostels or hotels and thinking ahead a little, bit more fuss but WAY cheaper long term.

Be weary of the cheaper Chinese batteries mate, they are just that...cheaper.

On the other Chinese, thanks for the props on the pics, to be on the lunchroom pinboard to me is cooler than the HU calendar as this is ground level appreciation, thanks man, it does mean a lot to us.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #2477
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Wicked 2 Years On The Road Today

Good afternoon all

Well, today is May the 3rd which means two years ago today we set off on our 1.5 year trip from New Zealand.

What an interesting two years with moto fails, accidents, fantastic times and huge downs all making up what we call adventure riding.

Wouldn't swap it for a minute even in the bad times cos the worst day on the road is still far better than the best day in the office as long as no one dies.

Thanks to all who have supported us along the way

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 05-03-2014 at 01:58 PM
Old 05-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #2478
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
Thanks to YOU both Andi and Ellen! It has been a wonderful trip for ALL of us so far. I look forward to your adventures and pics and feel as if I am traveling along with you. You have shown me a larger, more beautiful world than I envisioned and have warmed my snowy, housebound evenings with your humor, good cheer and pics even during the challenges you have overcome.
Keep riding the good ride, congratulations on your 2nd anniversary on the trail.
Regards....justjeff
ErikMotoMan: "People struggle with many things in their lives. But the answer to struggle isn’t MORE struggle. It’s peace. If you want more joy, peace, love, happiness… you have to GIVE those things first. You have to THINK those things. You have to have faith that they’ll come to you, despite what you may see. The truth isn’t in what you see with your eyes. It’s what you feel in your heart."
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #2479
Yukoner2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
2 yrs

Wow, I have been following your thread for more than that. Your travels have been great to follow, and I can't believe it is almost 2 yrs since meeting you both at D2D 2012. Keep on enjoying life and each other, oh yeah, and travelling...
Yukoner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #2480
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Congrats on the second anniversary.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #2481
TwoUpTourer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Heya John

We use Eneloop rechargeables.

Be weary of the cheaper Chinese batteries mate, they are just that...cheaper.
p
Rechargables - I should have known to ignore the dire warnings from SPOT to only use Lithiums then!

Re the Chinese batteries, its a really interesting story. It is the same factory that makes them for energizer(and a few others), and they recently won a protracted legal battle in the US against Energizer to be allowed to manufacture lithium-ion batteries in their own name. I came across a site that ran tests on theirs and there was little difference. My previous experience of the cheapo batteries was typical poor longevity, but not so with these.
I dropped off the radar for a while so missed some of the report. Went off to Cambodia/Thailand, and I hope I don't steal your thunder if I were to show what the beaches are like there. Sorry, but couldn't get a pic without people in it, so you will just have to imagine it....
TwoUpTourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:04 AM   #2482
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,377
Wicked 2 Years , good 1 guys.

Congrats, I havnt had much internet in last 3 weeks so just caught up on the ride. Im back at Santa Fe living in the beach house again . I was amazed how quickly they have rebuilt after the Typhoon here . We went to my old neighbours and drank some beer the other night . After the typhoon 8 familys moved into the only house with a roof on it . It must have been crowded as the Espinosas have 18 in there extended family. The house I lived in next to them lost every thing above the walls , pretty sad seeing it like that coz Richard put a lot of work into it . The house im in at beach was reasonably sheltered and built fairly good and only lost minor cladding . Keep the stories and pics coming . Good 1 with magazine pics . Cheers Toddy
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #2483
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Thanks to YOU both Andi and Ellen! It has been a wonderful trip for ALL of us so far. I look forward to your adventures and pics and feel as if I am traveling along with you. You have shown me a larger, more beautiful world than I envisioned and have warmed my snowy, housebound evenings with your humor, good cheer and pics even during the challenges you have overcome.
Keep riding the good ride, congratulations on your 2nd anniversary on the trail.
Regards....justjeff
Heya Jeff

Your kind words are always welcomed as usual and thank your for your input

Cheers Andi
Old 05-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #2484
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner2 View Post
Wow, I have been following your thread for more than that. Your travels have been great to follow, and I can't believe it is almost 2 yrs since meeting you both at D2D 2012. Keep on enjoying life and each other, oh yeah, and travelling...
Yeah its been a while eh, seems like yesterday we left .. unreal really ...already shitting myself having to go home and face work again and try and fit back into society without being arrested
Old 05-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #2485
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTim View Post
Congrats on the second anniversary.
Thanks man, not bad for a 1.5 year trip, didn't expect to be here but in the office, prefer this
Old 05-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #2486
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoUpTourer View Post
Rechargables - I should have known to ignore the dire warnings from SPOT to only use Lithiums then!

Re the Chinese batteries, its a really interesting story. It is the same factory that makes them for energizer(and a few others), and they recently won a protracted legal battle in the US against Energizer to be allowed to manufacture lithium-ion batteries in their own name. I came across a site that ran tests on theirs and there was little difference. My previous experience of the cheapo batteries was typical poor longevity, but not so with these.
I dropped off the radar for a while so missed some of the report. Went off to Cambodia/Thailand, and I hope I don't steal your thunder if I were to show what the beaches are like there. Sorry, but couldn't get a pic without people in it, so you will just have to imagine it....
Heya John

Interesting with the batteries, our USB chargers came with Chinese batteries and they are shite, we used them as a back up in an emergency only.

Thailand, great place but seems the people are just as selfish standing in front of the beach when ya wonna photo, both apologies accepted

Still struggling trying ti imagine but I am sure it will work
Old 05-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #2487
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 413
Happy Birthday Andi & Ellen! It's been great following you in all your famous details and emotions. Just seen that Trevor Angel is thinking of putting his bike in a crate and switching continents. I'm going to miss him for a while. It's only good when you guys are rolling :-) Thanks for bringing us with you.
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #2488
Balanda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Every time I read one of Andi and Ellen's updates I have to go and have a rest. To think that this boundless energy has kept them going for two years is incredible. We all know the Kiwi's are as hard as nails but this is at a whole other level.
Balanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #2489
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICERIDER View Post
Happy Birthday Andi & Ellen! It's been great following you in all your famous details and emotions. Just seen that Trevor Angel is thinking of putting his bike in a crate and switching continents. I'm going to miss him for a while. It's only good when you guys are rolling :-) Thanks for bringing us with you.
Thanks man, actually it was only Ellen's birthday I am still young

Yeap Trevor leaving us for another island ....we will be all on our own here soon

Rolling .. yes we have been doing a lot of that ... not much wifi tho, so here are the updates
Old 05-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #2490
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balanda View Post
Every time I read one of Andi and Ellen's updates I have to go and have a rest. To think that this boundless energy has kept them going for two years is incredible. We all know the Kiwi's are as hard as nails but this is at a whole other level.
Heya Balanda

Thanks so much for the big props, when at work we do it properly and this is just an unpaid just with a grin attached.

Much more to come, had some interesting times, wifi skinnier than a size 00 supermodel but updates on the way