User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #2536
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,499
Antofalla To Tolar Grande To San Antonio

Leaving Antofalla after birthdays, hots tubs, Llama ribs and chips .. good times ... it was time to move on and head north, our choice of road was the base along the salar because the top road being a bloody big sandpit.

The base road really didn’t turn out any better and was still a filling shaker, the big event tho is Maya turned 50.

Leaving the base road we headed up a zig zig which was incredibly good condition given where it was, the only challenge being the loose corners however these proved to be of little issue.

Nice soft corners commanding attention

Climbing the zig zig we were offered more spendid views of salar Antofalla before exiting up and over to the next salar.

The rest of the road was a teeth chattering sandpit laden with corrugations so when we were finally handed the mining road across the salar it was like a little gift, although lumpy in places it was far nicer at least being firm not trying to steal the front wheel from under us.

The suspension and tight bolt tester

The salar mining road

Tolar Grande, small mining town halfway between Antofalla and San Antonio, overnight stop for fuel and lodging, we were lucky to get a place with a kitchen so home cook was in order.

Tolar Grande has some amazing hill formations again luring the noisy Kiwis in, on offer was cool crazy paving and very red dirt mounds.

Again we could not help ourselves with the camera stunned at the cool landscape presented to our ogling eyes----->

At one stage the road was in a creek bed and much to our surprise there was some water in it ... well it was fair to say we were not expecting this and the sliminess nearly sent us off onto the sideline.

Composing myself cos no-one saw my act of unprofessionalism we continued a little more aware .... and yes you guessed it this paid of BIG time as we struck a flat muddy section (which looked dry), this commanded bulk revs and the V2 singing an outstanding song to stop the ship sinking, we made it but no style points were given.

The following day was a 200 km totally ripio (shingle.gravel road) ((again)).

About half way we entered into a valley which again made for great viewing, I don’t think I could ever get sick of looking at this place, ever corner with every angle of the sun presenting something different.

And a Dakar racing flat thrown in for fun

As soon as this bright red section finishes it is like you are on a completely different road.

Stopping at Laguna Seca for lunch (it’s true) ... but not as flash as the race circuit we opted to hide behind the structure to get out of the biting cold wind, all good.

We made it into San Antonio mid afternoon staying at a hostel, hot shower ready for the nearly 5000 meter pass the following day ... then its all downhill from there.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #2537
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

San Antonio To Cafayate To Salta To The Bolivian Border.

Tanked, tummied and tuned we set off down the RN 40, turning off from the 51 road we had the place to ourselves, road conditions good apart from the mandatory corrugations that is pretty much standard issue in this part of the world.

The road wound up and up slowly taking us to 4968 meters...just couldn’t crack the 5 unfortunately.

Sorry for the shit photo, it was cold, high, miserable fine day etc etc so they are my excuses and besides you need glasses cos it is clear to me

It was fookin cold with the temp gauge showing just above zero, mind you we are nearly 5 km above sea level, quick photos and on our way.

Cresting the top we came across road works which made for interesting riding as the top 100 - 150 mm was soft and loose, further down many river crossings washing Antofalla off Maya.

Again view along the valley down did not let us down

Cachi was a nice wee town with a cafe called Olivers the is owner is a moto rider, we camped up at the municipal ground which was nice and quiet when we arrived, unfortunately that night right next door there was a huge party that went on most of the night with the base beating through the ground and our beds .... not much sleep was had.

Clearly going where no moto rider had been before except there guys on this door and all the others on the other doors

Next day was Cafayate with stop offs along the way, an uneventful day saw us arriving with plenty of time up our sleeves with some cool scenery along the way from abrupt rock formations.

Our intention were to camp but the wind was up and some ominous clouds were watching us, we managed to bag a good price in a hotel and it had stella wifi which was very cool.

While in Cafayate we meet two guys from Italy on two Africa twins so we had a chat with them exchanging info etc.

As it turned out the following morning we hit the road at pretty much the same time meeting the two Italians so we all rode together looking at the attractions, we then peeled off to Salta and they took the road to Cachi.

The first crack .....yeah

The twins

Check out our racetrack with a view .. .no more teeth chattering

The twins and Maya waiting patiently

The Italian lads and the New Zealand dwarfs

Massive caverns cut by water over a coupla years

The rest of the ride for us was beautiful tarmac all the way to Salta apart from the last 10 km when Mrs.Garmin sent us down a wet narrow farm track style road which was the shortest route ...made for interesting riding as it was wet and slippery but it bought us out just up the road from Loki Hacienda, our destination for a few days.

I was meant to fly to Buenas Aires to be an expert witness for a high court case in New Zealand however a few days before the case was settled which meant we could step on it and head to Bolivia as winter was chasing us up and hard.

We stayed only two days in Salta getting a few things done then B lined it to Bolivia.

Taking to golf cart race track the other way it was a leisurely ride to Bolivia allowing us plenty of time to cross the border later in the afternoon with ease.

Back To Bolivia ....
Old 05-22-2014, 04:01 AM   #2538
cold comfort
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Great "reading" guys especially with such amazing images. A little reminiscent of Death Valley and Nevada's Antelope Canyons. Incredible colors/forms.
cold comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #2539
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold comfort View Post
Great "reading" guys especially with such amazing images. A little reminiscent of Death Valley and Nevada's Antelope Canyons. Incredible colors/forms.
Heya Mark

We certainly love this part of the world, I wish I had the talent to properly write about it and do the photos some serious justice ... but we are here in person enjoying it so all good.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #2540
GSBruce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
The writing is just fine and the photos have been spectacular. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share with us.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:39 AM   #2541
cold comfort
Adventurer

No problem with your writing my friend. (Appreciate the soul bearing in 'The heart speaks" too) Just meant my eye is drawn to the excellent photos. Bit like "reading" the Playboy magazine.

cold comfort screwed with this post 05-24-2014 at 12:45 AM
Old 05-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #2542
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBruce View Post
The writing is just fine and the photos have been spectacular. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share with us.
Heya GS Bruce

Thanks man, I enjoy writing but I read others RRs and would like some of their style ... you will just have to put up with the Kiwi style but it works mostly

Also thanks on the pics, we feel we are getting them right cos we like em tyoo and that is what matters, it is about recording the trip as best as we can.

Cheers Andi
Old 05-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #2543
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold comfort View Post
No problem with your writing my friend. (Appreciate the soul bearing in 'The heart speaks" too) Just meant my eye is drawn to the excellent photos. Bit like "reading" the Playboy magazine.
Heya Mark .. .thanks man, cheque is in the mail

Soul bearing, just my take on things and have they have unraveled some good some not as good, not as crunchy as some of the original stuff on "settling in" to the new job

Playboy ..gee ...what is that , comprendo .... I am cheap and easy, simple and unsophisticated and believe a picture is worth 1000 words but when it comes to boobs ... old KTM rider proverb say "a picture worth 10000 word" ... based on that sorry for slim pickings recently ...been is cold places
Old 05-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #2544
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Cry A Post Of Respect For A Friend Who Has Left Us

Good afternoon all

Today we learned of our fried in Wanaka Hayden Mapp who was killed in a motor vehicle accident.

Hayden was a 4 wheeling buddy of mine in Wanaka and for those of you who know of our old beaten up Toyota Prado "the Handbag" Hayden was a major player in the resurrection of this this vehicle that was rebuilt out of respect.

Hayden leaves behind two boys and wife Jane.

Condolences to the family, sorry for the loss.

R.I.P Hayden

Regards

Andi & Ellen Delis

(more on our trip when I compose myself)
Old 05-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #2545
x-box
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Wow, what sad news to hear.....
I love reading your trip report, going on a journey through your camera lens and words when physically I can't get there myself, living the dream in front of my puter....
You guys have done so well and major respect for that!
Your last post just reminds us that life is temporary and we should enjoy as much as we can while we can!
Good luck for the rest of your journey and I look forward to every new post.
Keep safe and condolences on the loss of your friend.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #2546
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Andi and Ellen:

I am so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you two and to your friend's family as well.
Best Regards....just jeff
ErikMotoMan: "People struggle with many things in their lives. But the answer to struggle isn’t MORE struggle. It’s peace. If you want more joy, peace, love, happiness… you have to GIVE those things first. You have to THINK those things. You have to have faith that they’ll come to you, despite what you may see. The truth isn’t in what you see with your eyes. It’s what you feel in your heart."
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #2547
cold comfort
Adventurer

Sorry to hear that. My sincerest condolences.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #2548
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Hey man, I'm really sorry to hear that. As you know I have a big group of 4x4 buddies here so I can relate to the type of camaraderie that you had with your friend. Cherish the memories forever and continue to enjoy every day as you are doing right now.

Big hug to you my friend. Salvi
salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:58 AM   #2549
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,573
Hola Andi n Ellen

Long time no read

Firstly, sincerest condolences regarding Hayden :-(

Not easy being so far away at times like this.

The red dirt pictures are just spellbinding !

I am not sure how many pages I need to go back to catchup, but I'm gonna!!

Best wishes, manly handshakes n hugs to you both!

Cheers n take care

Shaggie

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:18 AM   #2550
lmcanje
n00b

Oddometer: 4
hi,
I spent the last I don't know how many days catching up. My plan was to wait a bit and then read a few pages, but time got away from me and I had to read from Cuba to now.
I really enjoy the pics, the writing and the down-to-earth commentary and how you write honestly with what you have experienced, the good, the bad and the ugly.

-Anthony
lmcanje is offline   Reply With Quote