Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #2596
Digitdion
KTM Lover

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Heya Dion and Lou

Well the shit we are going through for a simple stator rewind we will be here till Christmas.

The "best guy" here rewound it wrong, had to unrewind it then rewind it with the correct wire, then he had to fix it because it didn't even work, today we refit the fixed version only to find it is only got less 1/3 power through one wire.

This has taken a week, he originally said 2 days max, most likely 1, they are fucking Neanderthals here and don't give a shit.

I am not far from losing my smile and politeness and going apeshit at him.
Hang in there mate. We just arrived in San Pedro de atacama. And the feeling I got from Lot of the locals,was they do not give a shit either. Actually I thought a good name for this place would be San Pedro de I don't give a shit! Ha
It's a beautiful place. Shit I wish I had a bike.
Digitdion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:02 AM   #2597
d_mob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219

Thanks for the grog and blistering headache guys! I walked back and fell over into bed wearing my entire outfit. Woke up this morning fully dressed for breakfast.

Anyway, great meeting you two. Hope you get the wiring done quickly and get back out on the road. Thanks for the tips on routing through Chile/Argentina.

Chat soon... Stay in touch,

~ David

PS... Please e-mail me here if you know of a place to buy a front tire here in Sucre (or nearby - south). david.p.mobley@gmail.com
d_mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #2598
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,384
Laugh Hi Andi and Ellen

Quote:

Well the shit we are going through for a simple stator rewind we will be here till Christmas.

The "best guy" here rewound it wrong, had to unrewind it then rewind it with the correct wire, then he had to fix it because it didn't even work, today we refit the fixed version only to find it is only got less 1/3 power through one wire.

This has taken a week, he originally said 2 days max, most likely 1, they are fucking Neanderthals here and don't give a shit.

I am not far from losing my smile and politeness and going apeshit at him.
If he dont get it sorted see if someone on KTM section of here can courier one from USA or somewhere to you . Yes stuck somewhere with a breakdown is frustrating when the repairer dont know what he is doing and dont care. Hang in mate . I wonder if anyone has mounted a solar panel and charger to a motorbike . Cheers Toddy
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #2599
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Hey guys,
Let me know if I can be of any help; maybe I can get a quote (that you should multiply by 2 to get the actual price, but you already know that) and send the parts if they are in stock.
Meanwhile, another glass with a hole on it should help
Un abrazo!

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #2600
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitdion View Post
Hang in there mate. We just arrived in San Pedro de atacama. And the feeling I got from Lot of the locals,was they do not give a shit either. Actually I thought a good name for this place would be San Pedro de I don't give a shit! Ha
It's a beautiful place. Shit I wish I had a bike.
Heya Dion

We will be ok, it always works in the end but Bolivia has a different taste on this one and the Tourista Policia who are also the anti corruption mob are one and the same and looking for $$$.

Chileans are ok, in some touristy spots they don't want to deal with you but across the board were very good to us to be fair.

Yes you are in the prime place for superb desert riding with stunning views but it is a lot easier without a bike a lot of the time especially at borders etc.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #2601
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_mob View Post

Thanks for the grog and blistering headache guys! I walked back and fell over into bed wearing my entire outfit. Woke up this morning fully dressed for breakfast.

Anyway, great meeting you two. Hope you get the wiring done quickly and get back out on the road. Thanks for the tips on routing through Chile/Argentina.

Chat soon... Stay in touch,

~ David

PS... Please e-mail me here if you know of a place to buy a front tire here in Sucre (or nearby - south). david.p.mobley@gmail.com
Heya David

Great meeting you and cheers for the chatter etc.

Have fun on the road to man

Cheers Andi
Old 06-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #2602
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav2 View Post
If he dont get it sorted see if someone on KTM section of here can courier one from USA or somewhere to you . Yes stuck somewhere with a breakdown is frustrating when the repairer dont know what he is doing and dont care. Hang in mate . I wonder if anyone has mounted a solar panel and charger to a motorbike . Cheers Toddy
Heya Toddy

Today is D day with a bit of luck, tomorrow is a religious public holiday so if not today then it will be Friday and so it drags on.

US is an option as is Chile or anywhere other than this messed up place of unhappy unhelpful and unfriendly people....they take the cake for the WORST on our trip so far.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #2603
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimoto View Post
Hey guys,
Let me know if I can be of any help; maybe I can get a quote (that you should multiply by 2 to get the actual price, but you already know that) and send the parts if they are in stock.
Meanwhile, another glass with a hole on it should help
Un abrazo!
Heya Jaime

Is there any chance you could find out price and availability? Chile is definitely an option, maybe sent to San Pedro?

Please let us know if you have the time to check out as all options are on the table now, pretty well had a guts full of Bolivians promises and shit.

Cheers Andi
Old 06-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #2604
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Sucre

Making our way to Sucre, totally tarseal and only 150 km, we took our time taking in the scenery, nice to have an easy section in civilization given we had some charging issues.

Mika had kindly told us of a good hostel so we went straight there and he was right, good moto parking, reasonable price and ok wifi and a record breaking fourth hostel in a row without Police back up, I really feel we are getting old and loosing our criminal touch.

Mika had also told us of an amigo who is just 5 minutes walk from the hostel, moto rider and very nice guy, also willing able to help travellers too, onya Mika, very nice guy indeed, so we contacted Gustavo as we needed some help to get sorted out, Gustavo has owns Auto Clinic and runs his own mechanical shop.

Our voltage regulator was on its way so we had a few spare days in between.

As it happened timing wise the national series moto x was on and only 14 km from where we were staying, Gustavo (Mikas friend) is THE man, very well known in the moto circles and very well respected.

The Friday afternoon we went out and watch practice, some good riding going on, we only went for an hour and just as well as the weather caved in and started raining and got very very cold very quickly.

Fast forward to Sunday, the national champs, this event not being held here since 2002 it was making a real noise.

The place was packed with spectators and the entries FULL with riders from all over Bolivia.

Now as a moto rider of 35 years, done moto X, enduro, flat tracking, trials, motard and track racing I watched these young fellas in awe, there is some serious talent here well and truly fit for the international circuit.

Any some upcoming talent

Of course they also had there their own Bolivian Dakar riders as well to pump the atmosphere .... it worked!!!

The only thing I didn’t like was their “no red flag” rule as a rider went down and hard and proceeded to get run over 7 times but his competitors, the first two leading the charge to stop more carnage was me (in the brown hat and Klim gear)and Gustavo.

Here is the vid

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

To be honest the race marshal girls were bloody useless, it was by the luck of moto gods he did not even suffer a broken bone, he will have been very saw the next day.

As it happened to be a long weekend and the President was in town (to meet us but we were too busy with the moto X) the streets were all closed in centro and lined with literally thousands of people making getting anywhere a mission and a half.

The Parades, brightly dressed and nice to watch at least for some of them.

We did find one girl who had a huge smile on her face which warmed our day as the majority were very long faced ... with our knowledge of the place know we suspect she does not live here

These guys were flexible

Fast forward a week and a half of waiting our parts had arrived in La Paz, then in true Boliviano style the blockades and strikes kept our parts away for another week which was a pissoff, Sucre is a nice place to stay ...but.

The Mayan

On pulling the alternator cover off to replace a small oil seal we then discovered that the stator (the electrical charging part for you non petrolheads) was 1/4 toast with one sector pretty much burnt out, this had to be rewound here in Sucre.

We are not sure if the voltage reg failed causing the stator to go or vice versa, either way we now have a fairly new battery, voltage reg and rewound stator so hoping all is good form here on in.

All issues are known to happen over time and comes with wear, tear, mileage and being used in anger so not really a biggy in the scheme of things, the only aspect being a biggy is the bloody strikes and blockades that the Bolivians seem to live for, if they targeted that energy to helping themselves go forward the whole place would be way way better off.

It is a very frustrating place to get stuff done that is for sure and takes 20 x longer than it should on a bad day.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #2605
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
While riding Buells there is a long history of problems -many those inherited from the HD system, poor ,one earth(wire) grounds for each component,when they become corroded begin taking it's toll beginning with the affected part, being an inline process takes out one or more of the others,bad VR grounds generally takes out the battery at least .We commonly added a additional ground to the VR and
scrapped the hard paint off the VR body and used a star washer to aid grounding ,cleaning and checking the grounds periodically. this I think is a common MC industry wide problem due to the environment we ride in.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:36 AM   #2606
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 917
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #2607
Digitdion
KTM Lover

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Heya Dion

We will be ok, it always works in the end but Bolivia has a different taste on this one and the Tourista Policia who are also the anti corruption mob are one and the same and looking for $$$.

Chileans are ok, in some touristy spots they don't want to deal with you but across the board were very good to us to be fair.

Yes you are in the prime place for superb desert riding with stunning views but it is a lot easier without a bike a lot of the time especially at borders etc.
We may be catching up to you. We arrive in sucre tomorrow, that's Friday. Not sure of exact plan. We wanna go hiking and on the 4 th of July it's my 40th. Will probably be in sucre for that!
Digitdion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #2608
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
While riding Buells there is a long history of problems -many those inherited from the HD system, poor ,one earth(wire) grounds for each component,when they become corroded begin taking it's toll beginning with the affected part, being an inline process takes out one or more of the others,bad VR grounds generally takes out the battery at least .We commonly added a additional ground to the VR and
scrapped the hard paint off the VR body and used a star washer to aid grounding ,cleaning and checking the grounds periodically. this I think is a common MC industry wide problem due to the environment we ride in.
Heya yokesman, sorry for the late reply ... been outa wifi for 10 days in the belly of Bolivia.

Yes a bad earth can cause so many needless failures, knowing KTM is not the best we added decent size earth wires etc to the sub frame, main frame and engine as well as to the main loom earth all connected directly back to the battery.

As it turned out w paid the dick to say our VR was stuffed when in actual fact it was the stator, pics up after for interest.

Getting em (the bike) wet, dirty and pounding the crap out of them doesn't help either but that is the price of riding and a stupid smile you can not explain to someone who has not ridden ------->
Old 06-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #2609
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj View Post
Heya James

Sorry man ... no wifi for ten days I was starting to feel naked

Today my friend I promise that I might update depending on photo uploading ... watch this space bro
Old 06-28-2014, 07:32 AM   #2610
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitdion View Post
We may be catching up to you. We arrive in sucre tomorrow, that's Friday. Not sure of exact plan. We wanna go hiking and on the 4 th of July it's my 40th. Will probably be in sucre for that!
Heya Dion, just arrived in Cochabamba yesterday mate after spending time in the boonies.

Will be here for 3 - 4 days I think then death road way via the ruta 25.

4th July .. you will be a wee way behind again....damn.