User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #2881
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,484
Itacoatiara

We thought it was dirt fuel in Maya, we had a few pops back through the carbs in Bolivia but when we got into Brasil it got worse, we added carb cleaner and meths but it made no difference.

Back track to the Rio post we only made it 33 km (big day) from Rio De Janeiro ....nearly as far as Itacoatiara when a Suzuki car pulled up beside Sheldon and said where you going?, Sheldon says talk to the guys up front cos they are leading, so the Suzuki pulls up and the dude says where ya going, I replied and said dunno but north and we are turning right here.

A quick conversation before the lights changed he said, there is a nice beach etc follow me so we did, we pulled over further down and he said there is a nice beach etc and if you want you can come and stay at my house .... done deal!!!

Paulo our host took us for a local ride and an inland loop for the day, we had a great ride taking in local places and sights, on the way back we hit some rain as the weather was due to cave in, to correct Sheldons report with our slide we hit a patch of oil or diesel on a corner causing both front and rear to kick out a bit, we were lucky we were not leaned over very far so it was just a reminder to keep the mind on the job.

Paulo, Ev, Sheldon, Ellen and I

This is a picture of a picture, unfortunately the cloud had come over so we did not get to see this from the viewpoint.

Back to the issue closet to my heart at this moment of the bike running badly to the point we did not want to ride any small back roads because it was very hard work and it cannot be good for Maya either.

As time moved on it did not get any better so now we are in Itacoatiara and with Paulos contacts we got to Moto Biu, the guy has a great shop and all the tools and we could do all the work ourselves.

We set to and removed the carbs for a spiffing clean, there was some gunk in the jets but for nearly 60000 km that is to be expected, a thorough clean netted nothing as far as the bike running badly still popping back through the carbs.

Nice and clean now

At this point we deiced to dig in deeper and have a look as it really could only be valves, spark plugs or colis. The coils were taken out of the equation testing ok, the spark plugs being iridium and only 10000 km old still looked like new and tested ok.

Given the start for the big job was the next morning we walked back to the shop catching up with the guys who were heading out on a ride. I was lucky enough to sit on a new red F800 adventure .... yes I did like it, nearly as cool as a KTM (actually they held me at gun point and forced me to smile to pretend I liked it )

Back to the main job .....

Having gone as deep at the spark plugs we were only one cover away from a valve check so we did that.

Shite pic but there you go

All four exhaust valves were in spec all four inlet valves were so tight they had no clearance .... problem found, the valves were essentially being held almost slightly open causing the popping back through the carbs.

This is what concentrated work looks like, I really enjoyed sorting it out properly and doing my own valve job

My only hope is the valves have no suffered any damage and I guess time will tell.

We did though have a very frustrating time as the cam bridge bolts were so heavily overtightened it was ridiculous, we bent and twisted hex head sockets and allen keys along with mauling the heads and having to use a coal chisel to help budge them so I was not seeing the funny side of it at all.

Bent

Twisted

At 10000 km we should not even had to have been there so I was pretty pissed off, Sheldon did like to take the advantage to pick on KTM but this was a careless mechanic problem who clearly didn’t give a shit, we also discovered some parts that were lost and not fitted to the bike ... so yeah not a KTM problem.

Comes time to pay, although we had down 95 % of the work we still used his space and we swapped shims etc, not speaking Portuguese the discussion was held on Goooooogle Translate

This is the sign of happiness, a KTM back together and running like it should and an owner having accomplished a valve check in Portuguese .... picture with m is Biu, top bloke and very very nice and helpful

Now Maya seems to be running near perfectly again but given the crappy Basilian fuel loaded with additives it is running lean so we fueled it up a little with our flexijets which is great
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #2882
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Itacoatiara - The Local Happenings And Coastal Ride

When the lads returned from their day out a bar b que was put on down at their local club which was cool, a few drinks and good feed with a relaxing chat to Paulos riding buddies ......good times.

A ride up the coast to Buzios with Paulo and Maya is running like a swiss clock again now that everything is set correctly we enjoyed a great day poking our noses in and out of bays, towns and beaches heading north and enjoying an easy ride sans cases and accom all sorted so a later arrival home not even a concern.

Our ride saw us get to Arriaial Do Cabo to the end of the spit before heading up to Buzios which is a very nice gringo town with some slightly large beautiful waterfront homes .... I could easily live there!!

The road started getting good but was not that long

Three trouble makers at the end

Lots of neat places and boas are big here

Heading home we took the secondary road which was still all paved and good nic, we arrived home just on dusk and geared off for a welcomed hot shower and relax with a rum and filter through the days happenings and photos.

Paulo also took us for a ticky tour around the area taking in local viewpoints and attractions part of which was the entrance protection and artillery, the stonework in this building beyond belief with the level of fit and finish.

A canon with the famous Jesus in Rio De Janeiro

Canon height adjustment

Many canon butts with stunning stone arches

The HUGE bridge over the harbour in the distance

The building

The famous sugarloaf in the distance

Three trouble makers san moto gear

To finish off the afternoon we took Paulo out for lunch to a seafood restaurant, the nicest food we have had in months.

All in all a fantastic stay here by accident and generosity which saw us relax, get the bike sorted and take in the beautiful surroundings of Rio De Janeiro, for me an absolute win getting Maya sorted out as there are no KTM dealers or shops here so finding the correct valve shims etc was just demon.

I would have to say Rio De Janeiro is probably the most beautiful city in world we have seen because of its abrupt surroundings so to have seen it first hand up close and personal was seriously cool, if you can't get to Rio just watch the movie Fast Five

http://www.universalstudiosentertainment.com/fast-five/

Finally, me, Ellen and Ev sitting on top of a rock at the bay just taking it in ... WOH HOH

Old 08-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #2883
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,971
Good on ya for finding the issue, I was thinking a vacuum leak.
Bet the valves are OK, generally when tight valves get hot they will expand inorder to touch the seat and transfer heat.
(JDowns discovered Honda shims work on his Kawi Sherpa.)

That giant Paulo is riding the Super Tenere I want.

Good news, great up date. Like the picture of the canon butts you son of a gun.
The food looks like a square meal even in a round bowl.

Favor: I was looking through Ellen's photobucket for the Valley of Seven Colours and did not find it. A link or title would help this old fart. tia.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #2884
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Good on ya for finding the issue, I was thinking a vacuum leak.
Bet the valves are OK, generally when tight valves get hot they will expand inorder to touch the seat and transfer heat.
(JDowns discovered Honda shims work on his Kawi Sherpa.)

That giant Paulo is riding the Super Tenere I want.

Good news, great up date. Like the picture of the canon butts you son of a gun.
The food looks like a square meal even in a round bowl.

Favor: I was looking through Ellen's photobucket for the Valley of Seven Colours and did not find it. A link or title would help this old fart. tia.
Heya Pete

Thanks for your props mate, I was thinking vac as well but it didn't make sense ... mind you not much does these days

Hope the valves are ok, time will tell, we were lucky Biu had shims that we could swap with, also Harley V Rod shims are the same too but Harley is small.

Yeah nice bike Paulo has, I love the white with the red Tenere decals from yesteryear

The bums... yeah the food , could not believe the flavour it was a real treat.

Now the linky dink, it was hiding in San Pedro to Salta here http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/Tw...?sort=2&page=1 click page 2 and fill your boots.

Cheers Andi
Old 08-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #2885
young1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Next year will see if we can join you for the MMMMM, actually we may be flying back via AK so a NI tour might be on the cards and do a victory lap home .... sounds like an opportunity for riding and

Cheers Andi
You always have a bed here if coming thru the Naki.

Mike and Leanne
young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #2886
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
being tight,lapping the shim with an oiled emery paper on a piece of glass is time consuming but gets it done.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #2887
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by young1 View Post

Mike and Leanne
And we can't be in the same town and not meet up again ! Like crossing paths in Fresno.
We had your brother round home the other night. He reckons he's the good looking one

Phil

Pink Floyd
Phreaky Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #2888
CrazyCole
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Long time lurker and follower. Glad to see things are going great or you guys!!
CrazyCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #2889
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Very good to see Maya get sorted and running properly again. Good on ya for being savvy with digging into the big stuff!
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #2890
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,371
Wicked Hi Andi and Ellen

Good to see u have bike sorted again , Im sure those cam bridges get torqued with a quarter inch torque wrench but unless you carry your own or are in a town where u could purchase 1 the local mechanics can be heavy handed. Im a little worried why they tightened. Its usually a sign of wear to valve seats or faces or stretched valve stems . If it had been exhaust valves might have been a problem . For peace of mind I would recheck the easiest cylinder in 5-7k kms and if its ok leave alone . Put a question on KTM section . You are carrying a lot more load than they normally do so extra wear will happen . I like valves slightly on loose side, a rattly tappet or wheel bearing never done any harm . Pussy is better tight a . Ride safe and keep stories and pics coming. Cheers Toddy and Julz
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #2891
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by young1 View Post

Mike and Leanne
Heya Mike and Leanne

Thanks for the offer, we may take you up on that depending where we come back through to home ..... do we SI'ers still need a VISA to come through the north
Old 08-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #2892
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
being tight,lapping the shim with an oiled emery paper on a piece of glass is time consuming but gets it done.
Heya yokesman

We were very lucky that Biu had all the correct shims so we just swapped out as needed, certainly emery would have been an option had he not had the correct shims but the moto Gods were on our side that day
Old 08-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #2893
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
And we can't be in the same town and not meet up again ! Like crossing paths in Fresno.
We had your brother round home the other night. He reckons he's the good looking one

Phil
Heya Phil ... yeah ... lets try that again but meet up this time

So my brother has been telling more lies eh, spose he said he was my identical twin brother too ... he is still mad cos I have other redeeming features such as .....

Cheers Andi
Old 08-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #2894
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCole View Post
Long time lurker and follower. Glad to see things are going great or you guys!!
Heya CrazyCole

Yes Moto Gods have stepped up to the platter and been serving us well, absolutely magic when in need to get stuff sorted and having Bius workshop was fantastic....Brasilians rock
Old 08-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #2895
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
Very good to see Maya get sorted and running properly again. Good on ya for being savvy with digging into the big stuff!
Heya Trane, yeah stoked we got her sorted, it was hard work riding with chuffing and backfiring, just not good at all.

Easy enough to get into the depths of things when you have the right tools and more to the point the correct replacement shims

At least now I know she is good, I am very fussy with her and Biu was the same, near enough was NOT good enough, shims were measured accurately and the job done properly so I am satisfied in my mind.

Cheers Andi