Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #16
HayDuchessLives
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,118
Great start to your adventure!

Ellen and Andy,

I'm subscribed. I sure enjoyed meeting both of you and like I said, I was very excited to meet other people who enjoy riding DRs. There aren't very many DRs up here, so mine gets teased a lot.

Sounds like you had quite a chilly welcome to Alaska going over Turnagain Pass. Looks like I'll still be able to go skiing up there for a few more weeks! The weather up north, to both Deadhorse and Inuvik, could have similar conditions. Paul and I were hit with freezing sleet, blowing horizontally due to strong winds, for 30 miles into and out of Deadhorse and it was scary, with poor visibility, using one hand to wipe off our sunglasses due to frozen visors. I'm glad you survived the harrowing ride to Homer and hopefully you survived meeting another Alaskan character - AKCharlie.

P.S. You could see if anybody would loan you a heated vest for the ride to Deadhorse. I would loan you mine, but I'm going to be using it for my ride on the Dalton Highway, along with my heated gloves.

Cheers!

---Amy
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808795
HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Brrrrrrrrrr. That update reminds me of my time in Scotland...... In lieu of a heated vest eat porridge!
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #18
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 300
Yeah Two Moto Kiwis!!!

Fantastic to see that you have started your adventure in such grand style! You already have a great tale to tell with the snow.

To fun. Hope to see you on the road. Hi from Sara as well.
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #19
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,393
Heya Dan, yeah f i n a l l y here WOH HOH!!

So todays funnies.

Greetings ADVers, well today (Tuesday 15th May) was very cool, beautiful day to play with greeted us through the curtains, we are lucky enough to be staying with Charlie at his home in Homer so 5 star.

We set off for a ride to Anchor Point the Western most point you can drive to, we were greeted with breathtaking views and a nice still day.

A total thrashing with the camera and poses galore we recorded our stop at Anchor Point, from there we went up to Nickolaevsk a Russian settlement with a beautiful church.

We headed back to Homer again to record our “been there done that and got the T shirt” in front of the Homer sign .... as ya do!!

Back for a quick lunch then off to See Dean at Full Power then out to Voznesenka however Ellen decided it was time to lay Chiwi down for a rest .. but she did this at a busy intersection much to the interest of other traffic., kids do not try this at home!!!

I went back to rescue the stricken maiden and her lovely stead, my “kiwi made” crash boards have paid their way and the Barkbuster storms have probably saved us a hundy on levers already!

Only two minutes later .... take two, we pull up to Deans shop and bang down she goes again from car park on an angle and some bad estimating, this time Dean had the honours of righting Chiwi back to rubber side down.

After recomposing our fair maiden again and standing round in the sun having a chat we set off to Barb and Victors cabin then headed out to Voznesenka, at the end of the road is a groovy track down to the sea.

With Charlie on his Wing and Ellen learning her skills the hard way I was the only one to go down, it was worth it and pretty easy but it woulda been a little more than Ellen’s current skill level.

After looking around we headed back for home where Ellen redeemed herself with a great feed of tempurad Hallibut.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:37 AM   #20
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,349
Wicked I went there

Its a good ride down to the bay there a , dont blame Ellen for not for not doing it .
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:09 AM   #21
Kiwi Dave
Beemer Boy

Oddometer: 119
The Pill box.

I see you both are carrying a good supply of "hard pills". I don't start a tour now until I have triple checked the pill box for my Acme Hard Pills. Boy oh boy they come in handy at times.

Have Nick Hay over for evening tea tonight. Off to the airport at a sparrows fart to drop him off. He's off chasing birds in Europe for the the next few months. Good on em'. I didn't know he belonged to the Audubon Society.

Anyway we both say hello and it's great to see your underway.

All the bst,
Dave and Nick
Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #22
XPLORZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Subscibed! As my wife rides too, I always enjoy a great "couples" report. Wishing you two Kiwi's the best!
XPLORZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #23
TK-LA
SoCal Rider

Oddometer: 571
Fantastic

What a great journey you've started!

If you make your way to California let me know. I know of many, many beautiful (and free) camping spots throughout mid and Southern California and can suggest many great roads.
2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #24
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
Subscribed, can't wait for more! I may see you up there as I am leaving the first of June for arrival in Deadhorse by mid June then off to the D2D! Maybe I'll see you guys on the road!

Now I am wondering about your arrival in Homer. You said that there was a moose and I clearly see it in a photo but what about the first photo where you stopped across the street from the brown house; it looks like a freaking brown bear in the yard by the trees or was it just the moose with his head down?
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #25
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,553
Hi!
I am 40 days into my RTW and i'm currently in Whitehorse Yukon going north. It snowed here today so I am staying put until tomorrow. I plan on getting to Fairbanks by Friday night. It would be great to cross paths and trade info/stories. I am not sure about your route but It looks like you guys are in for a treat! Enjoy the ride!

Noah
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #26
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Heya Noah, no worries, be great to cross paths if we can, we are planning on going to Prudhoe Bay on the 24th, see the Alaskan section for details.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:48 AM   #27
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,158

I better stay tuned to this one, how great to be able to pull off such a trip.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #28
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Back In Anchorage

We survived Homer and the Homer-roids, we joined in a ride from Homer through to Hope, the rest of the team continued back to Seward to stay the night, sink some toxic lemonade and talk shit as you do.

Ellen and I already topping our milage limit for our first service continued on to Anchorage, we are booked in on Wednesday , on the way in we were able to pick up our bank card and open our Smugmug account for photos and activate our SPOT.

Good news is my tank should be here on Friday so I can finally ditch the factory DR peanut tank and ride with something less to think about as far as fuel planning goes.

So these are the last of the Homer Photos, we will be in Anchorage for the week so not too many picture to come this week, this is our service and finish the bike week.

Charlie Ellen and I

Our new car ... plenty of room for playing chasing

Mount Augustine

Chiwi having a rest

ARAI and Mountains

Salty Dawg at Homer Spit

Young Eagle

Can't explain this one

Gota roof bro!!!

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 09:59 AM Reason: Faffing with fotos
Old 05-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #29
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Charlie And The Food Pantry

Charles and His Food Pantry

Andi met Charlie on the ADV forum. When we got to Anchorage, we realize he is a friend of Barb and Amy - and other ADV riders. What a surprise.

We arrived Charles' house in Homer in the brilliant sunshine, a moose was grazing in front of the front yard, with the snow mountain and ocean in the full view of the lounge, it felt just like at home in Wanaka - except the moose.

Charlie took us down to the Homer spit and showed us around. Most importantly, he told us about his passion - the city food pantry.

[IMG][/IMG]

with Charlie at food pantry

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The food pantry is similar to the food bank in NZ. They collect donations of food and distribute to the people who have the need. There are a few volunteers working at the food pantry. Charlie picks up food from local grocery shop most days and is also on call 24 -7. They have a system, people who registered in the system pick up their food parsel every Monday afternoon. So on Monday morning, we joined Charlie and his mates sorting out all the food.

There are donuts, muffins, cakes, tin food and also lots of fruit and veges. Although the fruit and veges are not in their best condition - that's why they are donated but they are still very good. In NZ, that would be thrown out but the people in Homer sorted them out, then give to the people in need.

While we were taking the rotting part of the veges out, a lady told me to put them in a seperate box, because "people will pick it up for animals, nothing is going to waste from here." I was wonder how does that work because the US for me is a country people suing for anything and everything. Charlie said they do have permission from govt to do so. What a great thing to do for the community. I think if our NZ could do the same, first will help lots of people, second will reduce lots of waste.

"Is there any who people abuse this system?" "Of course there is." Charlie said. The food pantry also has limited finance to support people. Charlie went and met a woman while we stayed with him, he came back not very happy. I asked how was the woman, Charlie said:"I told her not to come back to us." The woman who claimed was abused by her partner was driving a brand new rental car, but no money for fuel. Charlie went and paid for the fuel, she also wanted the receipt. Charlie said no and told her to change an affordable car as well.

Most people come to food pantry are genuinly in need of help. Charlie has been working for the food pantry for 3 years, and seeing the number of people coming to the panty is growing - this is his main concern. He believes America is in a bad shape.

Charlie also told us his romance with a Chinese lady he met on the Internet. He even sold all his belongings and moved to China to be with her. Unfortunately the hot weather there and cultural difference curtailed the romance. Charlie had to return to Alaska after a few months in China. Although he didn't make his life in China, they still remain very good friends. I even talked to the lady on Skype in Chinese - Charlie asked me to tell her in Chinese that riding motorcycle is not dangerous!

Andi spent couple of days help Charlie to fix his Honda 1979 Gold Wings so he can go riding with us on Sunday - actually the ride was on Saturday, Charlie messed up the day which he was most embarrassed.

Our stay in Homer had a shorter ending due to leaving on the Saturday rather than the Sunday but we don't mind at all as we met a few more riders and enjoyed the trip to Hope Cafe with them. We were so lucky to be able to stay with Charlie and get to know him and his passion. He made us feel at Home(r) as our own home. We can not thank him enough. All the best for Charlie, we wish you find a good company to share your love and passion.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #30
findlj
How much fun is that

Oddometer: 82
got me with Arctic to Antarctic!