Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #391
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
So that is how the efficient US government machine works to help people out, I would expect shit like this from a 3rd world border, different language places but not here in english speaking educated US, land of the free unless you are here..
We are trying to become a banana republic as fast as we can, but some organizations are clearly ahead of others in staffing for the new era. In ten years we should have filtered out all of the English speakers and installed more officials like the one that you experienced. Please be patient.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #392
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Broken G9? Whats wrong with it now?? Unbelievable..
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
We are trying to become a banana republic as fast as we can, but some organizations are clearly ahead of others in staffing for the new era. In ten years we should have filtered out all of the English speakers and installed more officials like the one that you experienced. Please be patient.
...yeah I can't believe I took it so wrong with him given his authoritative and superior stance

Next border crossing is into Mexico, I expect some sort of fun/issues/back and forths, if they give me too much shit I will threaten to leave my bike there for them to fix.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #393
SkycamNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
While yours has been SORELY tested, and understandably escaped for a short period, your sense of humor (and the very generous offers of help and support from other ADV-ers) will go a long way in helping you deal with any further mis-adventure that you so thoroughly DON'T deserve. Sending you lots of positive vibes guys :-)
Old 11-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #394
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Thanks To All

Heya guys, quick reply here from Ajo, hitting the border tomorrow and on our way, X fingers things have been ok since the repairs.

Thanks to all you guys for your support and props and a special thanks to Jim at Hutchins Motorsort http://www.hutchinsmotorsports.com/ the Yammy shop in Yucca Valley near Joshua Tree for spotting us very healthy lunch money and getting our disc pads sorted out, you rock dude, was hard to hide the tear in our eye with your generosity !!!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #395
flying kiwi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Nice work you two! On behalf of all the Wanaka MCC members, we wish you all the very best and safe travels south of the border. You have currently used up all your quota of bad luck for the trip, so you should be sweetaz from here on in!
2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 116,000+km
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
The cheapest is often the most expensive form of economy
flying kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #396
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying kiwi View Post
Nice work you two! On behalf of all the Wanaka MCC members, we wish you all the very best and safe travels south of the border. You have currently used up all your quota of bad luck for the trip, so you should be sweetaz from here on in!
Heya Richard, yeah I reckon we have too and cheers for the props.

We did go to a town called Murphy and spent some money there, I did look to the sky and asked if he would ride with someone else now ..... not that we don't trust him

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 11:39 PM
Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #397
cold comfort
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Hi Guys- all the best for the next exciting installment of your travails and travels. Hopefully less of the first and more of the second. Totally stoked you could find time for the call. Sadly was at Aramoana communing with the toys. Poor old Tigger sitting forlornly in a pool of fork oil was truly in sympathy with your (t)rusty steeds.
Adventure biking is not your air-conditioned coach trip as you well know, but echoing other devoted followers, very impressed with your fortitude and attitude. As said by a wise man "no-one died", and although the cost increases its apparent you both are already very wealthy in what counts ( evidenced by the fantastic people you have met and befriended). Go well.
cold comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #398
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying kiwi View Post
Hey! see up in the thread tools, thread rating. Vote with me them guys sure deserve a fifth star.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #399
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Fresno To Mexico ... The Rush

This trip report is a bit shallow on groovy pictures as it involved big distances in a small time (for us anyway) so you will just have to wade through the words.

We left Fresno Thursday 1st November in the morning, the weather was turning and rain was predicted, as luck would have it we snuck out underneath it with only a few spots on the screen.

Our decision was to stay off the interstate per normal so we took the backs roads through and to be honest we don’t really lose any time because we are not going hell fast anyway.

This route took us down a great winding back road which was beautiful with the trees laden with leaves changing to the colours of autumn.

Lake Isabella soon appeared, this was an area we had missed out on when going to Fresno so it was great to see it.

We carried on down the main drag south to Victorville which was our next destination, we arrived late after packing a big day mileage wise trying to get to the border.

The camp had toilet and showers so a bit of a treat.

Next day we went set off south east towards Joshua Tree, on arrival we sussed out the Yamaha Shop in Yucca Valley. As mentioned earlier we met Jim there at the counter who recognized us and went out of his way to help.

Again Jim thank you for your generosity and time, your blood is worth bottling.

We managed to get front disc pads but they were out of rears, this wasn’t to be a problem as we managed to get some the following day.

Joshua tree was a slight deviation as we were right there and we still had enough time, while in there we met up with Phil Jean, bro and sister heading south too on two KLR 650’s, great to meet them and have chats, we will no doubt cross paths heading south and we look forward to swapping travel stories.

Parker was our destination that night at a BLM site right beside the Colorado river, again we ran late and set up nearly in darkness as we took some time with the parts but getting sorted prior Mexico was the No 1 priority.

At the camp we met Mary, Bob and Chuck who were traveling in vans with their bikes in tow on a trailer, they are traveling from place to place and riding around all over the place, great meeting you guys and cheers for the chats at camp, best for your travels too.

Nice place.

In the morning we set off into town to do some shopping for food, there was another Yammy shop there which we managed to pick up rear disc pads from, again the dude behind the counter went out of his way to help, onya mate .

Ajo was to be our stop point prior leaving the US, it is 30 miles north of the border, so last calls home while we still had use of T Mobile, catch up on some Mexico research etc, we spotted ourselves the one and only motel we have had on our trip so far, play it safe, get washed, wifi’d and a place to fix my headlight which blew the bulb coming out of Fresno, luckily it is a std off the shelf part from Napa.

The motel had all the home comforts including a spa and pool so we made good use of these, truly a spoil night for sure.

Setting off for Mexico we hit the road waiving the US goodbye with mixed emotions, this will be talked about in the US sum up and The Hearts Speaks episode three.

Pipe Organ National Park was last on our list with huge cactuses everywhere, quite impressive to say the least and some quite felic in stance ... still small by Kiwi standards tho.

Next in line was the border, a few questions,

Guard, Where are you going?

Me, Mexico

Guard, Where have you come from?

Me, ...arh... USA! ... is that a trick question?

Guard, no

Me, OK (thinking hear we bloody go again 8-D)

Anyway, all friendly, they were keen to hear about our trip so a good chat was had, our B2 cards taken out of our passports and handed over so uncle sam knows we have gone and away we went to the Mexican side.

We hit teh border with 18560 miles on the clock since leaving Anchorage in Alaska.

So we left the country and went 30 metres (back in metric land now) and parked up, walked over to immigracion and got our 180 day tourist VISA, very simple, very quick and very nice lady to deal with, the only thing that surprised us is the TVIP station is now 140 km south of the border which stuffed plan A, plan B was quickly put into place and we tootled of down road 2 the main drag where semis passed on double yellow lines on the brow of hills, at least we now know the road rules.... there aren’t any!!

We finally arrived at the station, there is no mistaking the place as there is no way through, we thought we had missed it but you simply cannot go through without going there.

The custom officers were very nice, vey helpful and very quick (Note this USA guards) and all the time squeezing in time for a chat about our trip which they were interested in.
Upon finishing with them and them making us $448.00 US each lighter for out TVIP (Temporary Vehicle Import Permit, $400 returnable when we clock out of Mexico), we left back towards Carborca were we got totally lost so decided to quit for the day and stay here the night as it was already 4.30pm.

Trip report time was due, Ellen was spent so I took the quiet time advantage to write this up.

8.14pm now and my eyelids are pushing my knees to the floor, Ellen is already dead to the world dreaming of Mexican hunks and twisty roads.

Good night all.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #400
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Great work guys ... glad the crossing and Permiso & TVIP all went as predicted. If you review my earlier post, I mentioned the Aduana was quite distant from the border and immigration office.

I hope you didn't end up at the Hotel Casa Blanca in Caborca ... it's a real Whore House joint. Terrible. Not much good there.

Within 50kms you'll be in the Sonora Desert. I'd recommend turning EAST at Mex 16, at Hermosillo. A great twisty road that leads straight to Copper Canyon. Exit at South end on town off Eastern side highway. (see map) near Griega.

If you leave Hermosillo in early AM and really haul ass, you can make Copper Canyon in one days ride. It's a technical paved road through mountains. Lots of fun. If going at a slower pace stop for the night at either Yecora (kind of a dump) or push on to Basaseachci waterfall. Couple nice small Motels there ... about two hours from Creel. The waterfall is a nice view ... and 'Lover's Leap' place. Good hiking if you're interested.

Mex 16 on the way to Yecora ... miles and miles and miles of this. Watch out for Horses and Burros ... and rock fall on the road.

Dirt road from Creel down to Batopilas. About 50 miles, easy on the DR650. Very scenic and Bato is a nice place to hang for a day or two.

What's your plan for Mexico? How much time do you plan to spend? This is the very BEST time of year to be there. Cool in the mountains but perfect at the beaches. Have fun!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #401
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Great info thanks, need to get to Hermosillo for probable rear shock work on my bike, also need to get an address for our chains and sprockets to be sent to, do you have any good info on how to do that to a post shop or someone addy as we know no one down here.

Still getting feet on the ground.

Also the BIG question is are motorcycles exempt from Toll charges on the main drags?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #402
Tracks1
Arctic Rider

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
need to get an address for our chains and sprockets to be sent to, do you have any good info on how to do that to a post shop or someone addy as we know no one down here.
Are you going through Guadalajara?
Tracks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #403
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Great info thanks, need to get to Hermosillo for probable rear shock work on my bike, also need to get an address for our chains and sprockets to be sent to, do you have any good info on how to do that to a post shop or someone addy as we know no one down here.

Still getting feet on the ground.

Also the BIG question is are motorcycles exempt from Toll charges on the main drags?
Usually NOT free. But at one time ... Bikes used to be free on Sunday! Now? Dunno. By now you've no doubt paid around $70 (ea) in tolls on Mex 15.

You guys are worrying me now. You wait until you're in Mexico to address a shock problem? Southern California has more Suspension businesses than any place in the country!

You may have made an error leaving the USA needing chain and sprockets. Getting a package shipped to you in Mexico ... or nearly anywhere in Latin America is a royal PITA ... and it will most likely cost you serious money ... or it may not make it to you at all.
Duty can be more than the value of the goods. May save you $300 to $400 to turn round, go back the get what you need before you're too far South?

I'm surprised you didn't know this ... it's common knowledge in ANY beginners guide book for Latin America.

What state are your chains in now? How many miles on them? Are you carrying spare front sprockets?

Here are a few rules my good riding buddy (and Mexico expert) Ray lays out for guys going on our 21 day Mexico rides:

"RAY'S RULES FOR MEXICO:
New Chain and sprockets
New Tires, tubes (plenty of spare tubes)
Tools
New Battery
Bike should be in PERFECT running order. All bearings should be checked before departure, suspension should be sorted out.
Any issues need to be dealt with ... before the ride."

Our rides are only 2 to 3000 miles, but mostly off road, but nothing compared to what you'll do in terms of overall mileage.

Some common DR650 chain info:
The stock DR650 DID O ring chain is good for about 14,000 miles (give or take). A replacement chain should be a DID X-ring VM2 (or new VX2). This chain will go 25,000 miles. Which means it should do your whole ride.

I'm on my 2nd VM-2 X-Ring at 48,000 miles. They flat work. 14K on original O ring chain, 24K on 2nd chain (a DID VM-2) and now around 10K on current DID VM-2. Like new.

As a former AMA Enduro racer I've used all kinds of so called "miracle" sprockets. None of them have worked. On my 3 DR650's and 90K miles, I've had best luck with STOCK OEM steel sprockets. The trick to long chain life on the DR650 is changing your front sprocket about every 8 to 10,000 miles. I would carry 3 original spares each. A rear can last all the way to 25,000, if you care for things ... or change it at about 15K miles if you can find a suitable one on the road. (Never, ever fit a cheap sprocket ... it will make you pay)

Use miracle brands like Supersprox at your own risk. They never wear out ... but they'll EAT your nice expensive chain in 10K miles! They are too hard.

In Guadalajara, go to the BMW dealer. They know a shock tech there who may help. He just rebuilt a shock for a KLR rider last week. I'll look for the link, but you've got a start. Good luck.

This from Nathan's thread in Latin America:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanCooper View Post
So I rode to Guadalajara bouncing around on the rear spring. We walked into a BMW heavy moto shop and they connected me to a guy named Saul who has a garage and works on suspension systems. He had the pieces that were broken on hand and we took apart the rear shock absorber and rebuilt it. I got there late, but he stayed open and worked on it until it was finish (about 4 hours) and gave me a really good deal on it. He even made it a bit beefier.

With that problem fixed, We rode to Mexico City (technically Jilotepec). Everything's fine now, except that KLR has again started pushing through oil.

Saul told me that an Italian woman riding from Argentina to Alaska stopped by his shop a few years ago. Her rear shock abosorber broke in Venezuela and she made it all the way to Guadalajara just like that...

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 09:45 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #404
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,579
geez! how did i end up SEVEN pages behind???

i work too much!

loving the report n pics Andi n Ellen!!

Shaggie

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #405
flying kiwi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggie View Post
geez! how did i end up SEVEN pages behind???

i work too much!

loving the report n pics Andi n Ellen!!

Shaggie
You think you've got a problem. I only started reading this thread at page 23. If I was to go back to page 1 and start reading, I'd never catch up, such is the speed of accumulating posts. Or maybe I'm a slow reader
2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 116,000+km
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
The cheapest is often the most expensive form of economy
flying kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote