User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #421
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,662
Hermosillo - The Big Sort Out And Start

For us the first few days were a struggle, we have enjoyed ourselves and through good karma and very friendly Mexicans we have had a tremendous amount of help which quite frankly we would have been stuffed without.

Couchsurfing, our 5th since being on the road from Alaska, we made contact with Alberto, we were his first surfers so he did not know what to expect, we didn’t know very much Spanish so we didn’t know what to expect ... what a crowd of geniuses.

We were invited into his home, he lives in a secure compound (not jail) with a courtyard out of sight where we parked up Chiwi and Hobbit, meeting at a local Thai restaurant which was a convenient place we shouted Alberto tea (dinner) for him accepting to take us in for the night.

We planned to stay the night then carry on, some dramas with Insurance and my then starting to weep shock held us back with progress, Alberto with his friendly approach said please stay and get sorted no problem at all.

He left for work, we settled in to get our stuff sorted out and with a quiet house and Wifi it was perfect.

The Mexican insurance gig sent us off the edge so with help understanding what we were getting into Alberto helped suss things out in Spanish, even he had some difficulty which made us feel a LOT better as he is a design engineer so no dumby by any stretch.

That second night we were kindly invited to go to a baseball match with the lads, what a treat not ever having been to a match before so there we were watching two Spanish teams duke it out on the field, most excellent!!

Pictured here Javier, me, Alberto and Alexandro (sitting stealth) (think he was in the dunny)

Javier sporting his support painted tat

These girls kept getting in the way while I was trying to take photos of the grass, sorry guys

Earlier that day we went shopping for food etc and made very slow progress with one thing and another, Ellen cooked up a Thai curry and one of Albertos mates Javier came and joined us for food, interestingly enough Walmart sell Mexican ADV bikes

You can conveniently buy shampoo too at an arms length

Given that we had become re-invited overstayers we set too trying to get a phone card, chains and sprockets sorted and my now newly weeping shock, apart from that we had nothing to do except tear our hair out and I don’t have much of that to start with.

Javier’s 41st birthday was on that following evening so Ellen made the famous Sushi, later that evening we went out to a night club for Whiskey, dancing and good times, this closed at 2.00am so they kicked all us oldies out back to the retirement village, Javier had a yummy cheesecake which he insisted we all have some of ... ok.

Sushi .... YUM!!!

Me, Ellen and Alberto

The birthday boy Javier and his good lady!!

Good times

More mates,

Ouwh old people dancing

We were impressed with the concrete floor

3.40am we all cashed it in, full of sushi, grog and cheescake ... classic .. not quite what we expected from a one night stay.

Friday morning Alberto was leaving to go back to Mexico city and said hey if we want to stay it would be no problem but he won’t be there, having still very incomplete business we decided to do this.

Saturday we did cruze around Hermosillo after getting mostly sorted, went up to the lookout and really enjoyed the day.

Some general pics

Cell towers

Thess little buggas are everywhere

Neat colours

Hobbit .... still going (touch wood)

Saturday evening was one of Albertos workmates party .... in the courtyard....straight outside our door so not far to stumble.

In true Mexican style we were invited to have Tacos and pasta, we bought a bottle of red wine and duly accepted, this was great talking to these guys, they wanted to know about our trip and we wanted to get local info and enjoy local peoples company only a 1.45 am finish this time.

Head chef and birthday boy

Does not need explaining!!! hmmm can you smell it!

Sean and I having a chat

Sunday we went for a big walk on a local hill mountain bike / walking track, was neat for us to chat (kinda) with MTB locals, the weather was very nice an made it a pleasure, on the way back we stopped in at a supermarkdo and fooded up again for our assault on Copper Canyon as Monday lunchtime we leave, no photos as we forgot the camera.... broke the rules of NEVER leave the camera at home.

Tuna Blanco, this is what this piece of cactus leaf is called, we tried it and loved it, something we have never had before, very nice to eat as fruit.

Now for the credits on this part of our report, I have to be honest and say although we had a very lonely start to Mexico and struggled a bit but the warmth and welcoming of the locals here has been second to none, they have set the bar very very high now.

A special thanks to Alberto, your blood is worth bottling mate and Javier just for making us feel welcome like a local mate, you guys have made our stay just magic.

We are now insured, shipping sorted, have a phone card, fooded and ready and much much wiser for looking learning and listening, if the rest of Mexico is only half as cool as the last few days I am not sure we will leave ... but we have to.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 07:54 PM
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #422
SurelyRide
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Wink US border?

Curious now... did you make the US border in time for the Visa deadline or was there no issue and good luck there? Sorry if I missed this detail in a report! Good luck in Mexico, sounds like you're off to a great start!
SurelyRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #423
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Yes we made it ok.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #424
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,384
Wicked Hi Andi and Ellen

Keep the pics and stories coming , Im in new house , what a major shifting and cleaning up old house , got a few bucket fills of tar out of oven , nearly lost half of lounge sweet of trailer this morning , very lucky car following was flashing his headlights at me . Fukengruver Micheal on blue KTM 9fiddy is giving new a help tomorrow , havnt had time to get a decent ride in yet , Keep safe and Take Care Toddy BTW im off to Phills on stress leave mid feb , tickets bookes YeeeHa
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #425
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav2 View Post
Keep the pics and stories coming , Im in new house , what a major shifting and cleaning up old house , got a few bucket fills of tar out of oven , nearly lost half of lounge sweet of trailer this morning , very lucky car following was flashing his headlights at me . Fukengruver Micheal on blue KTM 9fiddy is giving new a help tomorrow , havnt had time to get a decent ride in yet , Keep safe and Take Care Toddy BTW im off to Phills on stress leave mid feb , tickets bookes YeeeHa
Great news re the digs, you better send some pics.

Say gidday to Michael from us.

K, gotta get the trip reports up now.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #426
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Hermosillo To Yecora

We left at 1.30pm from Albertos, we had 281 km to do before dark which is 5.30 pm.

No prob .... errr wrong, the first 100 km was straight .. ho hum.

The next 181 was like a cut up and broken supermoto track with more corners than you can poke a stick at, for 90% of it there are NO straights between the corners, totally sweet when having a dudes ride but not so great when trying to make time.

A military checkpoint was the main feature, we were stopped at 5.20 pm with 48 km to go, they took our VIN numbers, rego, names etc, opened cases etc so we blew about 10 minutes of precious time, so 5.30 when we wived goodbye and basically dark.

Upon leaving a vicious dog raced out and went for my leg, for those of you who have seen the movie “I Am Legend” with Will Smith you will know what it looked like....SPOOKY does not come close, anyway long and short of it I managed to get the first kick and got it clean under the jaw sending it of line and slightly dazed but he also had a crack at Ellen all be-it a slightly distant one so she was good....I think it was put off by me!! YAY :

Arriving in Yecora in the dark at 6.30 pm we broke all the rules on not riding in the dark, anyway we got away with it and started looking for accommodation, at the first hotel the guy wouldn’t budge on his inflated gringoed price thinking he had a done so we left.

Zipping around town in the dark was less than ideal, we spotted another place and went in, the right price, Wifi, off street parking so that ticked all the boxes.

Ray of ligh from above .. someone was looking down on us

Turned out to be quite nice and quite, hot shower etc so very nice, when traveling the simple things like flush toilet, hot shower, Wifi and a sheeted bed are luxury items, throw in a can of Root Beer and there is no worries in the world.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #427
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Yecora To Creel

A nice day greeted us after a cold night outside, we carried on along the torn up supermoto circuit to find some first world race track, there is no telling from corner to corner what you will find next including quad bike sized rocks in your lane.

We had to do the same distance as the day before however we did have a few more straights to sit along.

Having left Yecora at a reasonable time we arrived in Creel mid afternoon, finding home again was the challenge.

Ellen wanted to camp as the weather was fine so we went to the only camping ground, the lady wanted $200 pesos just to camp, we had to walk to the showers and toilets and make sure the stray dogs didn’t piss on our tent, given we wanted to do Copper Canyon the next day sans gear this was also a concern for security.

I wasn’t keen to get ripped so we rode out, straight across the road to a nice looking hotel, they said $400 pesos, we wanted to stay two nights so I negotiated a rate of $250 pesos per night for the two night nights... that will do.

It turned out to be a nice place and for the $50 pesos more each night it was worth having all the home comforts and secure lockup for our gear while at the canyon.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #428
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 929
You guys are rolling along quite nicely, Cheers.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #429
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Copper Canyon

We ventured into Copper Canyon the following day, it is about 45 km to Divisadero where the Copper Canyon park starts, this is the road, just stunning!!

$20 pesos each to get in was well worth it, the Tram was calling as a must do, at $250 pesos each we thought about it and agreed that we would not be back again so we would do it and yes it was worth while going across and back.

In this case the Red one does not go faster as the trams counterweight each other.

View of the base station from the tram

We had a stalker too

There were amazing small villages down in the Canyon

Some cattle looking like ants from the tram

The main drive cable and structural tendon block ... cool stuff

At the other end

Some locals selling stuff, very nice but we can't carry it.

It is a fookin long way down

Cantilevered platforms you can stand on and look through to scare you even more

View across the cables

This guy was following me where ever I went .... don't worry about the mexicans!!

They are all into scaring the crap out of their customers and charging them for it, I thought this was only done in New Zealand!

Cool hole in the rock way up in the middle of nowhere

Panoramic courtesy of Mike

Copper Canyon is 3100 feet deeper and I think 10 times? the size of the Grand Canyon....sorry mericans but size des matter

Me on the edge

Ellen on the other edge

On our return back to the Canyon edge we met a fellow rider Mike who was on an 1150 GSA.

We got to talking about the canyon he had stayed in Urique the previous night so gave us the low down.

For those who want to know the road is paved for 75 km from the roundabout at the south end of Creel, you take the sign to San Rafal. We went to the end to find the huge roadworks and a detour with the road turning to hard gravel from there down to Urique.

The train tracks for the Chepe Train

This was our turn around point as we had run out of time but on good advice being two up we decided to call it quits and return to home base, Urique was not a must see, must do so we were not too worried.

The ride back to Creel was uneventful and nice but started getting cold mid afternoon when the sun is low.

On this corner if you make a fup god will help you by the looks of it.

On return to the hotel I decided we had enough daylight to clean the air filters, these normally get done at every oil change but that all happened very quickly in Fresno then exciting the US they did not get done so were overdue, they were still pretty well ok at this point as we had no been in dusty conditions.

Gordon, an adventure traveler from Canada rode past us, he didn’t se us and carried on into town, I was sure if he was looking for someone or just a place to stay, I rode into town and found him coming back towards me so I did a U-ey and we had a chat, seemed he wanted some accommodation so I told him where we were which was spot on for him, and he followed me back.

That evening info was traded as was cards etc, the following morning he was setting off to Copper Canyon and we were heading to Guacochi.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #430
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryder View Post
You guys are rolling along quite nicely, Cheers.
Heya Mike great to hear from you mate, make sure you look after Canada for us so when we come back it is still nice and tidy

Yeah slowly making progress eh.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #431
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Creel to Guachochi

Creel was a cool wee town, we stayed the two nights so had the chance to have a good look around.

Here is a few pics of central and shops.

Some local crafts

Groovy coloured corner shop

Girl with a puppy

A wall ... yeah I know

Jandels made from old car tires!!!

Local musicians and a stray

Guachochi......

Setting off on a chilly start it warmed up very quickly, a few km down the road the famous Elephant rock appeared so we took the usual photos.

The road was great condition and a really nice ride, Mexico has some beautiful Canyon roads and couple with a cool but nice day made it an excellent ride.

Arriving at Samachique we turned right to head to Batopilas to find out how closed the road actually is. From the turn off it is first world Laguna Seca for 99% of it then at Km 23 there is a sign, road closed!! at km 24 the road works start at that really is it, big machinery and no way through, talk is fours years to complete????, it is only 42 km from there to Batopillas.

On turning around it is 104 km to Guachochi which was our destination, again nice roads and friendly people, a far cry from banditos, narcos and military check points none of which we could see.

Overhanging rocks

Ellen

Arriving at Guachochi we were almost attacked by a pack of dogs .... but this time we had the upper hand

Old 11-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #432
Kiwi Canuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21

I was looking too but couldn't see the kitchen sink, but I know it must be in there somewhere, did you find it?

Hope all is well with you two Kiwi's, my boys still talk about your visit here which now seems like ages.

Kiwi Canuck screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 09:05 PM Reason: Spelling misteak
Kiwi Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #433
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
I was looking too but couldn't see the kitchen sink, but I know it must be in there somewhere, did you find it?
... no and I had a good look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
Hope all is well with you two Kiwi's, my boys still talk about your visit here which now seems like ages.
Yes all good although Ellen hurt her foot today so will see what tomorrow brings.

Say hi to the boys from us, we will be back to Canada so will catch you again but we PROMISE it won't be on DR650's

Miss Canada very much eh and the great people.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:42 AM   #434
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,384
Wicked Re DR650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post

Say hi to the boys from us, we will be back to Canada so will catch you again but we PROMISE it won't be on DR650's
I would go anywhere on a DR650 , mine has 70,762 happy miles on it now . But after what has happened to yours I would probably buy a 5 year old one with low miles on it. Sadly suzuki are getting components manufactured off shore and the quality control is not working . Lets hope all the dramas are behind yous now. Weather is cold and crap here , fresh snow on mountains today , Im getting scratchy coz havnt been for decent ride for a while with shifting , Burt Munroe Rally starts this week so hopefully get to some events , I havnt missed the street races at Wyndman yet, Micheal and me are going to go there so we will do some dirt roads going there and back . Syd the guy I took u to meet here with the old race bikes has his ex Stroud 750 Yamaha flying , he had it up the North Island racing it. He had a new old suzuki in the trailer he just got, dont know if he is taking the Nickerbacker down . Kev will be at Teratonga on 748 Will let you know how it goes Cheers Toddy
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #435
flying kiwi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hey, sounds like you are well sorted now. Awesome photos of Copper Canyon, and beautiful roads - when they are paved. Snow on Mt Roy, Gold, and the Hawea Range this morning. Pissed down all day yesterday which bought back a few memories of the '99 floods - yesterday was the anniversary!
Looking forward to a skype catchup with you from all of us at the WMMC on Wednesday.
Ride safe,
Richard
2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 116,000+km
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
The cheapest is often the most expensive form of economy
flying kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote