User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #496
SkycamNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Oh %#*!!!!

As you know Andi and Ellen, I'm not given to blasphemy. But I have to admit to hearing things coming out of my mouth as I was reading 'THE' post and looking at the pictures, that I had no control over. If I were Catholic, I would have been up for MANY Hail Mary's.

Saying that I'm feeling shattered for you at this recent turn of events doesn't start to cover it. To say nothing of helpless while here on the wrong side of the world. The bike and insurance situation (as of at the moment) is a major blow. But at least at looks like E. is going to be OK. That's the single most important thing.

Not sure that I can add anything to the thoughts that have already been offered. But yes, do see virtue in not making major decisions until the dust has settled.

It sure is clear though that you have been giving many people much pleasure with your excellent blog and photos. The offers of support and well-wishes here show how many people care about you both. It would be very cool if you could get to continue in one way or another, but certainly there are things that will need to be pondered first.

May the Force be with you. BOTH of you...
Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #497
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 770
Bummer:
Hope Ellen feels better soon and all the details work themselves out.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #498
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,422
Sorry to see you guys go through another trial on your amazing adventure. I have followed your thread and enjoyed your reports and photos like many others here. One thing that has stood out to me is your good old Kiwi spirit to take the good with the bad and make the most of it. So I know you will get through this bad patch; Time and chance happens to all men; theiving insurance companies and dishonest tow truck drivers are a global scurge so don't let them get to you. You sorted the towie by sticking to your guns, do the same with the insurance company...you never know what a little perserverance can acheive! Ellen is going to be ok so that is worth celebrating.

Keep ya chins up
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:39 AM   #499
Nevada Rider
World Geo Rider

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Heya JD, yeah bit of a bugga but she is OK which is the main thing. We may call on you depending on timing etc, we have contacted our insurance to see what happens next, we will be held up here for the next few days getting her body back in order.

Will let you know what we are doing in the next few days, still be great to meet up .

Cheers Andi
Ok Andi, Let me know after things settle down for you two. Two up from here?

Take care.

JD
Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #500
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada Rider View Post
Ok Andi, Let me know after things settle down for you two. Two up from here?

Take care.

JD
Thanks JD

Ok, Ellen is done riding, so two up from here (I think we will continue).

So our options are two up on two wheels or a three legged Ural.

Two up, me being a hobbit the F800GS or the Triumph 800XC would be the best option, I love my KTMs but two up and loaded would not be easy for me, we need more room than the DR as we will be spending another 18 ish months on this bike pending on when our money runs out.

.... anyone know about the BMW in Guadalajara??, any good? rep?

Two up on three, ok considering a hack, late model or a new Ural 2x drive.

Our luxury of carrying gear on two bikes is gone either way so we will liten up incredibly from here.

Anyone with good, useful, fun or helpful information please chime in and give us the lowdown.

On that note we will have two DR650s up for grabs kitted for the long haul, my bike is fine, has brand new Ti chains and sprockets on board, heidenaus etc and has been sorted out.

Ellens bike is bent, not sure exactly where but I think up by the headstock, it is ridable but you can feel the bend.

Not sure what to do from here, this was NOT on the game plane, our full cover insurance now say no cover in Mexico so we are looking down a black hole of money, this will hurt.

Such is life, we are both still alive and getting weller by the day (well Ellen anyway) ... I am just getting grayer so we have to pick up dust off and thank the gods of motorcycles that Ellen binned in a soft place so for that I am grateful.

Ok, now to replace the wheels, please come forward with some suggestions based on the above.

Love to all and thanks for all the PM's, emails etc, we are very very luckly to have supportive ADV family, you guys rock.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #501
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
thanks for posting your trip.... Too bad about the crash......Good that you's are OK

The DR.....Are you sure its bent? Maybe the forks and triple trees are tweaked out of line. Very common in a big get-off.

Try loosening the forks and re-align the trees, Maybe it will run true again.....Maybe its already been suggested in a pm....

I hope you keep going......2-up light super light......just you's, the bike...tools and a few spare tubes.....

Thanks again for contributing.......
Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #502
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Oddometer: 431
There might be a Transalp available in South America at some point in the future if you wanted to finish up CA on your current bike and then sell it and pick up a new ride in SA. See post #299 here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post20128695

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #503
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer: 288
So sorry to hear this guys, all the best Ellen in your recovery and to you both for what ever the remainder of your adventure has in store.

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Ducatijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #504
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Great to hear!!

Quote:
Two up, me being a hobbit the F800GS or the Triumph 800XC would be the best option, I love my KTMs but two up and loaded would not be easy for me, we need more room than the DR as we will be spending another 18 ish months on this bike pending on when our money runs out.
Stay away from anything that has a need for premium fuel like the F800. For a BMW I would go with 2011 or 2012 F650GS twin or a 1200 if the budget fits. Lots of available parts and service for the 1200. The F800 is also a very tall bike.

Quote:
Our luxury of carrying gear on two bikes is gone either way so we will liten up incredibly from here.
That is why I would consider a 1200. Big bike with big bags, but again a big bike to handle with 2 up

Quote:
Not sure what to do from here, this was NOT on the game plane, our full cover insurance now say no cover in Mexico so we are looking down a black hole of money, this will hurt.
That is a bitch, too bad Geico can't be a company of honour. Time to change their mascot from a gecko to a lizard.

Quote:
Such is life, we are both still alive and getting weller by the day (well Ellen anyway) ... I am just getting grayer so we have to pick up dust off and thank the gods of motorcycles that Ellen binned in a soft place so for that I am grateful.
Good way to look at it. In the future, you will not even notice the money loss, but you would sure notice the loss of your soul mate.

Quote:
Ok, now to replace the wheels, please come forward with some suggestions based on the above.

Love to all and thanks for all the PM's, emails etc, we are very very luckly to have supportive ADV family, you guys rock
Get at 'er, we are waiting to see your trip continue.

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #505
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
That sucks. At least the plan is to continue. Id be interested to hear what caused the wreck, especially since Ellen talked about "coming to a stop" as her main issue- something bike related or the other vehicle cut her off?

It really sucks you guys have had so many issues on this trip, but at least youre still going and are making the best of it. In retrospect it will make the good days even better in your memory..

Best of luck
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #506
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,493
Head north and pick up a used Suzuki DL650, plenty of room for two and enough power to cruise 2 up at 80 mph all day long. About 1/2 the price of BMW 800
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #507
garrydymond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
I already posted on the other site. As you know I´m in Mex City. If you think I can help in any way send me a mail or a PM. I don't know where the accident happened (maybe I haven't read all the posts) but if you want a place to store or work on the bike you are welcome at my place. If you need a place to relax and heal you are also welcome.
Xmas is coming and we´ve got a leg of New Zealand lamb we will happily share with you.
I agree that a Suzuki DL650 sounds like a good option and the USA is very close.
Best wishes for a speady recover and safe travels wherever you go.

Garry
PS As usual lots of great support from ADV.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #508
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Good to hear that you will keep on going and even better to hear that Ellen is getting better

If you are considering any BMW , then you should look into buying it in Guatemala, not in Mexico . They seem to be quiet a bit cheaper down there then up here . I just quoted a clutch for my 1200 here in puebla today , 35% more expensive then back home in Guatemala .
As far as selling your bikes, you are probably better of selling them in the US than anywhere in Latin America.

Hope you get it all sorted out and we will be waiting for you guys down in Guatemala
Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #509
Kiwi Canuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Do you still have an American Visa?

Anyone with good, useful, fun or helpful information please chime in and give us the lowdown.

Sorry to hear about the interruption to your journey, glad to hear that Ellen is on the mend, give my regards to her.

As far as the insurance for the bikes, did you read the doc's carefully to see why they have denied your claim? maybe there is something in there that a lawyer could help with if that's a route you want to consider.

As far as options, I would suggest returning to the USA, it should be a lot easier to sell the DR's there and purchase a suitable 2 up machine. (not sure what issues you would have if you were to sell the DR's while in Mexico.)

The VStrom is not a bad economical option if you want to stay on the beaten path, not quite so good on the rough stuff. Tiger 800XC is also a good choice, with 21" front wheel make it an OK alternative, but expect to spend a bit more than a Vstrom. BMW, 1200GS is big but I think the low seat option may work for you, again USA is the place to buy used bikes.
As far as getting the bikes back, find some-one with a trailer and take both or request some-one to come get Chiwi and ride her back up with you and Ellen on Hobbit. BTW you are a bit far away for me to come get you with my neighbors trailer. ha ha.
You are only about 2-3 days drive from the USA, so not such a big deal to return, as long as you have your Visa situation sorted.

Good Luck and hope to hear more from you soon.

Kiwi Canuck

Interruptions are the journey, Ted Simon.

Kiwi Canuck screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 07:36 AM
Kiwi Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #510
Against The Wind
I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
now we don't even now if we were covered in Canada .. .what happens there??
North American motor vehicle insurance coverage covers you in the US and Canada only.

Whomever sold you the policy didn't know what they're talking about, unless you specifically were given an added round the world clause in the policy. Otherwise, standard auto / bike policy is for the US and Canada only.

Sorry to hear about this accident, mercifully Ellen was not seriously hurt.