Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #721
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,410
Hey Andi and Ellen. We just spent the day with Ken and Carol last friday and heard the tale of woe regarding your new beast. So sorry you had to go through all that. It sounds like things are looking up now though, so we hope to see you down here in Mexico again before too long. PS I noticed Maya doesn't have any passenger pegs.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #722
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,746
Hopefully once fully serviced the KTM will allow you to fulfill your trip trouble free and happy.

For those wanting to buy a bike online, with some level of protection, an option to protect both buyer and seller is to use a motorcycle escrow service.

http://f800riders.org/escrow.html
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #723
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Not trying to split hairs here but.....

When I was looking for a bike, I looked long and hard for the one I wanted and I let many potential bikes pass by simply because they didn't fit the bill. Once I found the DR that I wanted I drove over 950 kilometers one way just to go have a look at it! I know some folks just don't have that kind of time but I was determined not to get ripped off.

So my best advice for everyone is to do just that. Sure it might be a thousand miles away...but if its the one you want....don't buy sight unseen. Go take a look and judge for yourself. Or find a trusted friend who is closer to it, if possible, and have them take a gander for you.

Bad luck. Hope things get better for the both of you.
Damn good advice that, we talked to a few who said he is a stand up guy and was reasonably active on OC so we talk him at his word so our trust in him was our mistake, I will NEVER buy another bike without being able to spot it with my own eyes or some reliable separate eyes..... lesson bearnt!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Hey Andi and Ellen. We just spent the day with Ken and Carol last friday and heard the tale of woe regarding your new beast. So sorry you had to go through all that. It sounds like things are looking up now though, so we hope to see you down here in Mexico again before too long. PS I noticed Maya doesn't have any passenger pegs.
Heya SR ... pegs... for who?

We have some now mate, won't be long if her heart checks out ok we will be on our way again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Hopefully once fully serviced the KTM will allow you to fulfill your trip trouble free and happy.

For those wanting to buy a bike online, with some level of protection, an option to protect both buyer and seller is to use a motorcycle escrow service.

http://f800riders.org/escrow.html
More bloody good advice, I as sure the cost of this would be well less than what we have been slogged to fix Maya.

On a good note, we are helping a mate out today laying timber flooring .... had to hop up at a normal time, will have to travel to his place and look busy ... almost like work ... damn!!
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 05:47 PM
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #724
HayDuchessLives
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,140
Happy New Year!

Hi Andi and Ellen,

Boy, it seems like ages ago when I met the two of you and now look at all the miles you have explored, creating countless memories and surviving incredible adventures. Cool! I'm sorry to hear things haven't worked out as well as planned.

Ellen: for a rider with limited experience when you started out, you have done an incredible job riding as far as you have, through some amazingly difficult situations (I.e.snowstorms, rain/slick mud, heavy bike for a petite person...) You should be PROUD of yourself. You go girl! : I am glad you are okay. I got sick to my stomach after seeing the crashed ChiWi. Some year my friend Katie and I may visit New Zealand and go on a "safer" push-bike tour with you.

I sure hope the new bike works out and you two can continue on with this amazing journey. Hang in there and keep smiling!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808795
HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #725
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,741
Hey Andy and Ellen.. HAPPY NEW 2013!!! Can ONLY get better!!!

On a side note and quickly: Post that purchase report you put up on the last page, to his sale add for the SE.... right after your last post stating that you bought the bike... that way anyone following can see this truth. And before like GB said... that thread get's locked

Peace and love,
JJ
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #726
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,548
once you two and the bike are sorted - where's the next destination?

you had to come back from fairly far into Mexico, are you going to blast back to that spot and resume the plan....or is there a different course with some things to see that you didn't get to see on the first time down?

tip of the hat to CJ Designs for helping out too, that's good stuff there
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #727
Tessier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I am also curious to know do you have a master plan for places you intend to hit? Not sure how long you intend to continue to keep wondering but Maine would certainly be a great place to pop into. I am in NH and could certainly offer up a warm bed and quality meal. Best wishes for the remainder of the trip.

Even with all the troubles keep in mind how jealous we all are that you had the drive to take the risk we have all avoided.
Tessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #728
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
tip of the hat to CJ Designs for helping out too, that's good stuff there
Absolutely, CJ is taking it on and it is worthy of the mention, there is good here on ADV despite what has happened with the KTM shit.

BTW still no word from KTM950SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessier View Post
I am also curious to know do you have a master plan for places you intend to hit? Not sure how long you intend to continue to keep wondering but Maine would certainly be a great place to pop into. I am in NH and could certainly offer up a warm bed and quality meal. Best wishes for the remainder of the trip.

Even with all the troubles keep in mind how jealous we all are that you had the drive to take the risk we have all avoided.
Thanks Tessier .... will stay away from Maine for the mo as I might find self control a bit hard.

Everything supposed t come together Monday, taking Maya for a good ride (200 miles~) then pull all the filters etc again to see what comes out. ..... h o p e f u l l y it will be good.

Plan of attack is to head over to San Diego then head down Baja, cross to Mazathlan then down to Lo De Marcos, la Manzinallo then south, stopping in Guate for a month to school up on Spanish, down to Panama, across to Cuba then SA ... that is the lose plan.

Doing the figures tonight to see what we are out for with buying the bike, repairs to the bike etc, something will have to give so we have to decide what.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 09:02 PM Reason: banged submit accidently
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #729
garrydymond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Just remember you have a free place to stay in Mexico City. We´ll make sure you enjoy yourselves.

Garry
Old 01-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #730
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,510
Happy New Year you two!
I just caught up and want to say good luck and I'm waiting for more "happy" Adventure.
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #731
Makalu
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Damn good advice that, we talked to a few who said he is a stand up guy and was reasonably active on OC so we talk him at his word so our trust in him was our mistake, I will NEVER buy another bike without being able to spot it with my own eyes or some reliable separate eyes..... lesson bearnt!!!
Nothing really to add other than I agree with the above. I flew from Oregon to Georgia to check out a bike before I dropped down more than you did on that bike. Mine was a jewel, sorry to hear about yours.

BTW, we camped next to you at Cambria at the HU gathering in October. Have a safe trip, mate!
Makalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #732
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Hey Andi and Ellen,

You were talking about going to San Diego to cross into Baja? Coming from Phoenix you'd be better crossing at Tecate - closer for you and much less busy. You can get the TVIP for the bike at the border or you can do it when you get to La Paz.

Hope the bike's just about sorted now. Looking at the "as advertised" and "as delivered" pics of the bike, I thought to check the EXIF data on the pics. The good one was taken on August 28 with an iPhone 4, 14 weeks before it came to you... plenty of time to get it dirty eh?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #733
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 902
Hiya Andy, I think I saw movement on yer spot thang today. Looked like you were N. of Phoenix fer a bit.
Get on yer bike and ride baby.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:18 AM   #734
korukiwi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Mexico has different rules for Non USA citizens

Hi Andi
I noticed to post suggesting you can get paperwork done in La Paz. USA citizens might be able to - kiwis can't.
Waiting to get paperwork sorted in La Paz is far too late for kiwis. And very time consuming and problematic in our recent experience.
Kiwis- and other non US citizens- have to get the paperwork done within 60km of the border crossing i.e. the bike paper work, and especially the 180 day tourist visa. You wont be allowed to buy a ticket for the Pichilingue ferry to Mazatlan without complete paperwork. We were threatened with having to fly back to Tijuana to get sorted. There was a phone number on a poster on the window at the Ferry ticket office that lead us to a solution but It was a hassle and it cost.
korukiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #735
lightcycle
Nomad

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by korukiwi View Post
Hi Andi
I noticed to post suggesting you can get paperwork done in La Paz. USA citizens might be able to - kiwis can't.
Waiting to get paperwork sorted in La Paz is far too late for kiwis. And very time consuming and problematic in our recent experience.
Kiwis- and other non US citizens- have to get the paperwork done within 60km of the border crossing i.e. the bike paper work, and especially the 180 day tourist visa. You wont be allowed to buy a ticket for the Pichilingue ferry to Mazatlan without complete paperwork. We were threatened with having to fly back to Tijuana to get sorted. There was a phone number on a poster on the window at the Ferry ticket office that lead us to a solution but It was a hassle and it cost.
All true, except the bike paperwork.

We just did this a couple of weeks ago. We obtained our TVIP in Pichilingue after getting the tourist visa in Tijuana. Only then were we able to purchase a ticket to the mainland.

Things you will need:

- driver's license
- passport
- registration for bike
- tourist visa

Plus we're Canadian, not American. I believe the same rules apply for Kiwis as well. The most important part is getting that tourist card at the border.

A&E, keeping your cervezas cool for when you get down here!