Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #91
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,540
Cool azz ride report. Sorry you lost your ipad, that would slack ya off alright. Had a wee laugh seeing the Ozzies on KLR's vrs Kiwis on DR's....some sort of strange trans tasman dual sport forces at work there

subsceribed
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #92
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 664
T minus 4

Great posts! We are now even more stoked to leave thursday. Hope to see you on the road somewhere. sara

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #93
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,084
Fyi

Just so you know, Mozzies are actually part of the unmanned Canadian air force, look closely, you'll see the landing lamps

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #94
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,363
For fricks sake at least buy yourself another beanie with some taste while you're over there... Mastertrade? Bloody tight dutchman
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #95
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Cool azz ride report. Sorry you lost your ipad, that would slack ya off alright. Had a wee laugh seeing the Ozzies on KLR's vrs Kiwis on DR's....some sort of strange trans tasman dual sport forces at work there

subsceribed
Heya bro, yeah some funny stuff goes on eh, talking DR/KLR is like talking Religion and Politics and seems to be the quickest way to start a pub scrap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELSTAFF View Post
Just so you know, Mozzies are actually part of the unmanned Canadian air force, look closely, you'll see the landing lamps
...with the size of them we think they are manned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
For fricks sake at least buy yourself another beanie with some taste while you're over there... Mastertrade? Bloody tight dutchman
Padders .. mate it is the best beanie I have ever had, I might cross out Mastertrade and write Klim on it just for you

Still keeps my Swede warm in the Alaskan chill/wind chill.

In Denali National Park for another day before hitting the Denali Highway to D2D so will post p some pretty groovy bear pics etc.

Sara, looking forward to meeting you and Daniel, Thursday take-off eh!!! go girl and keep the rubber bits down.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #96
Hewby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
I made it to Denali yesterday and was on the lookout for you two but not to be. With these crazy passing storms here and the high over Prudohe I am going to make a dash for it. Let's hope I keep her up in the shale. Maybe I will catch you further down the road.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #97
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Fairbanks To Denali

Well exciting times having less to pack from Fairbanks with some lite fingered shithead flogging our ipad2, never mind it is only a material item.

When we were at the Nui with the Police we spotted this, to me this a great way not to pack

We stopped at Nenana for lunch and visit o the local museum etc, pretty cool place,

Wifi wasn't runnin real quick so we took a quick look ...

We arrived safe and sound at Denali National Park and set up camp at Riley Park Camp which has great facilities and a nice location.

We took the 92.6 mile trip by bus as you are only allowed private vehicles so far, we had stunning weather on the way in right to the end then thunderstorms and lightning on the way out so the best of both worlds ... but lightening does not flash backwards here Kiwis ... it’s just the same as ours except bigger.

Mt Denali standing at 20327 ft still played hard to get as it creates its own weather system due to its shear size, amazing that it has such an effect on surrounding areas.

Mount Denali is hidden under there somewhere

Wonder lake with approaching thunderstorm

Arty stuff

This did not stop the grizzlies, Caribou and various assortments from putting on a show tho, Two Photo Kiwis took advantage of this and we hope you enjoy these from the safety of your arm chair. (not that it was that bad for us either to be honest).

Grizzlies

Moose with decent set of trees on top

Kiwi Moose with large appendages

They even had exotic Asian Moose

They call these Sheep over here, we in New Zealand would call them a roast

A real Caribou with big sticks

My new girlfriend, she was absolutely beautiful

Old 06-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #98
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Denali Local Stuff Relax Day

Today June 18th was a relax day, we went to the Visitors centre and watched a vid of Denali National Park, this was o u t s t a n d i n g to say the least.

After that we went to the Dog Sled set up which was well cool, a live demo was done and everybody clapped or they were trying to smack the mozzies....not sure.

On conclusion of that we headed in the roaring metropolis of Denail township to get some food for the trip we had planned to Savage River, I thought Ellen was very optimistic with her time schedule and it turned out that I was very right ... although she wouldn’t admit it.

This changed the game plan somewhat since we missed our bus so we walked up to a very flash Hotel, we went in and checked out the view which was pretty good.

A large Viaduct that could be seen from up there

Ellen was totally amazed by the Hotel so bein a romantic kinda guy I thought what the hell we have been doing it hard so I took her back for another walk passed the hotel... she is one lucky gal.

From there we walked back to the camp and got stuck into tea, nice relaxing day with a few exercise km’s under the belt to keep a reasonable level of fitness.

Padders ... this hat good enough?

Tomorrow we set off to Denali Highway and beyond... more then, chur dudes and dudesses.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #99
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,353
Wicked I remember that Hotel

I rode up there , stuff that walking business Andi , Im relaxing at the office before going to Tickety Boo for the fortnightly pool comp. Fitness is getting better on bike , was out for a 3 hour ride the other morning , havnt been swimming so much as sea has been rough and jelly fish about . Keep the pics and stories coming . Cheers Toddy
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #100
Kennif
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Dick and Diana Hubbard and I leave Auckland tomorrow for Vancouver. Hopefully we can pick up our bikes without too much hassle from customs and the shipping agent and get them set up before my partner Shirley joins us on Wednesday. Then it will be north to Prudhoe Bay, south to Ushuaia.

Hopefully we might meet up with you two Moto Kiwis somewhere along the way. Great reports Best of luck and ride safe.
Ken
Kennif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #101
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennif View Post
Dick and Diana Hubbard and I leave Auckland tomorrow for Vancouver. Hopefully we can pick up our bikes without too much hassle from customs and the shipping agent and get them set up before my partner Shirley joins us on Wednesday. Then it will be north to Prudhoe Bay, south to Ushuaia.

Hopefully we might meet up with you two Moto Kiwis somewhere along the way. Great reports Best of luck and ride safe.
Ken
Heya Ken

Well cool mate, we got through Customs on the Top Of The World Highway no worries, nice guys they were.

We are in Eagle Plains tonight then Inuvik tomorrow, maybe Tuktayaktuk for a flight but it seems the prices have quadrupled to 4 hundy a head which excludes team TMK .

Did Dick bring any breaky? there is a huge market for his stuff cos the US stuff is crap compared to Hubbards.

Anyway keep in touch and we will definitely cross paths and catch up, rubber side down guys.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #102
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,353
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Heya Ken

Well cool mate, we got through Customs on the Top Of The World Highway no worries, nice guys they were.

We are in Eagle Plains tonight then Inuvik tomorrow, maybe Tuktayaktuk for a flight but it seems the prices have quadrupled to 4 hundy a head which excludes team TMK .

Did Dick bring any breaky? there is a huge market for his stuff cos the US stuff is crap compared to Hubbards.

Anyway keep in touch and we will definitely cross paths and catch up, rubber side down guys.
4 Hundy a head is a bit steep Cob ,was $80 in 2005 but i remember we had to get a plane fill , there is a couple of good nightclubs at Inuvik , hope the weather is treating yous good . Cheers Toddy
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:52 AM   #103
jorrie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Great stuff keep it coming
jorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #104
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Denali Highway

Tuesday 19th June, we left Denali National Park and turned on to the Denali Highway. This road was the only one before Parks Highway to connect Denali National Park. It closes in winter, only open in summer - which means three weeks ago.

The weather was beautiful, blue sky with sun shining. We can almost see the whole of Mt Denali in the distance.

The road is pretty much like the one to McCarthy, the only different is - 200km of pot holes instead of 100ks. The scenery is beautiful though. We sat in the middle of the road had our lunch. Maybe we haven’t mentioned the variety of camping food you can buy in US yet , they are very tasty and full of chunky vegetables and meat. What you only need to do is to open the package, pour hot water in and it is done. They are not cheap, around $6-7 each, but for a full hot meal in the middle of nowhere, that is great value. We have been eating lots of them while we are camping especially when it is cold.

There was two cyclists that had stopped as all the air in his tyre had gone to the top so we stopped and offered help or parts however they were all kitted and on the job.

Chiwi decided to have another rest, yet again Barkbusters earning their keep.

This is one of a nice bridge along the way.

It didn’t take too long for us to get to the end of the gravel road. We found a camping ground in Tangle Lake. Just as we set up our tent, a mummy moose with her two calves were grazing nearby, that was a very nice welcoming.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #105
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Tangle Lake to Dawson - D2D

Wednesday morning, we carried on to Tok to meet our friend Dicon and Leslie going to Dawson together. From Paxson to Delta junction was beautiful, the road was windy and smooth.

We stopped at Delta junction and fill up - both us and the bikes. The first 50k from Delta junction to Tok was unbelievably boring - it was straight (my first thought was this is gonna hurt - thinking of my bum), not a single up and down, you can’t see the end. I was hoping some road works can keep me awake, finally, there was a bit gravel, Yah, at least can keep me concentrating. That’s how you can change your perspective so quickly, unwanted gravel could be like a treat in different situations!

It didn’t take us long to find CJ who is famous for being in the Long Way Round and he had just come back from France. He is working in a RV repair shop which is a full workshop. We took the advantage to change oil for Chiwi and Hobbit. They have done 4000 miles now (which is 6400ks)

Just as we arrived in the workshop, a thunder storm came down hard with hale and very heavy rain. Under the full cover of the workshop we were totally dry and happy.

Dicon and Leslie found us later at CJ’s and we all went out for a big feed of burgers in a restaurant, the carpark is full of motorcyclists who are going to the same Dawson City the next day.

Huge thanks to CJ for his help with the workshop, perfect timing for us. We stayed at CJ’s home on Wednesday night, got up had eggs and salami on toast for breakfast then headed off to Dawson.

The man himself

Some Alaska pipeline info for you.

At mid point there is a place called Chicken .... yeap Chicken, it is the last town before we cross the boarder. It was very hot, might be 25 -30 degrees C. There is a fact sheet displayed on a shop door, you can have a read, I won’t repeat it here again.

You gotta see this place to believe it

As you all know Alaska is FULL of trees... so the local dog comes along and pisses on MY wheel .. thankfully the thunderstorm just up the road took care of that

There is a funny fact, every time we ride with Dicon, it rained. Dicon and Leslie were ahead of us before we got to Chicken, they waited for us there and we went together. It was sunny and hot before Chicken too, then it all turned to shit again. We had a thunder storm again and this time, lighting too. After the boarder crossing, we said to them if they want to go ahead, we will take some photos, so we slowed down a bit.

As they went away, the Sun came out we were riding in blue sky again. The top of the world highway was partly paved, it is built on the ridge, so you can see both sides of the mountains and big open areas, beautiful road.The Canadians are not very tourist oriented so unfortunately there was no pull over area for us to take a good picture on the Top of the World. But we did see some lighting strike that caused a bush fire, couple of airplanes dumping fire retardants on it.

As we continued towards Dawson City we entered Canada which was our first official border crossing on land .. no hitches, they asked us to take off our helmets and asked if we are carrying any alcohol or guns, cause we didn’t. Then we set off to the top of the world highway destination Dawson.

There was only 127k from the boarder to Dawson, by 5pm we were at the river. There is no bridge on the river, so we have to use the ferry, it’s free but you have to wait. The staff are very motor bike friendly, the ask us to come forward and get on first. One tourist bus wasn’t happy, we saw him waiting for two rounds and still kept waiting..... we are finally here at D2D 2012.

Upon crossing the Yukon river, we got to Dawson City, saw lots of people we meet in Anchorage. We set up our camp, had some thing to eat, then set off to town for a look around.

There was only 127k from the boarder to Dawson, by 5pm we were at the river. There is no bridge on the river, so we have to use the ferry, it’s free but you have to wait. The staff are very motor bike friendly, the ask us to come forward and get on first. One tourist bus wasn’t happy, we saw him waiting for two rounds and still kept waiting.

Upon crossing the Yukon river, we got to Dawson City, saw lots of people we meet in Anchorage. We set up our camp, had some thing to eat, then set off to town for a look around.

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 08:40 PM Reason: pics